Forum

BCTut - Logging On!!

Read 7880 times

bctuthill
Rep: +2,135
Trust: 100%
Locker Roommates
« Reply #15: March 28, 2018, 04:04:49 PM »
That's hilarious.... brings back memories of the YMCA>  except my little guy married everyone.......  He did seem to have a taste for the older ladies though.  Kind of funny, when he would tell me which new worker he married that day.  .
LOL nice-- they crack me up!

bctuthill
Locker Roommates
« Reply #16: March 28, 2018, 04:31:11 PM »
I ended up getting about 4 hours of sleep last night.  SuperFire HD's afternoon pill only has 150mg of caffeine, but I didn't take it until 3pm yesterday and I think it kept me staring at the ceiling until 1am.  Unfortunately I got stuck waiting to do fingerprints for work today and didn't take it until 3pm again!  Still exhausted though, hopefully it isn't an issue again.

Despite short sleep I thought I got a decent workout today...
Workout
Warm-up: 1/2 mile on the treadmill @ 7.5mph; 1/4 mile @ 6.5 incline, 1/4 @ no incline <-- I was struggling, I think due to having such little sleep and waiting for the PWO to kick in.

- KB Swings (45lbs; 3x15)
  - SS: KB Jumps (45lbs; 3x10) <-- These look silly as hell but get me totally gassed
  - SS: Plank (BW; 3x30s)
- KB Wide Stance Lateral Hip Hinge (45lbs; 3x10 each side) <-- At least that's what I'm calling it.  Just a very wide stance with feet squared and forward-facing.  KB starts on the floor outside the right foot.  Bending in a hip hinge and twisting at the waist, left hand take KB from outside the right foot while you stand upright then place outside left foot.  Return to neutral, upright position in stance and repeat with the right hand.
    > These help me in a few ways.  It is mainly rehabilitative in the sense that it's something I wouldn't recommend using heavy weight for, but instead helps elongate the hamstrings, improve hip mobility, reduce lower back pain, and activates some lesser used muscles that will aid in getting heavier weight off the floor when doing a normal deadlift.
  - SS: L-Sits (dip bars, BW; 3x6)
- BB Lunges (135, 3x5 each side)
  - SS: Band Planks (BW; 3x1min)
- Box Squats (135, 2x15)
  - SS: Bulgarian Split Squats (BW, 2x10 each side)

Overall I thought I got a good workout today.  My weights were light, but my heart rate stayed elevated, I had a good sweat going, and despite the light weight I still got a good pump that I felt the effects of throughout the day today.

I sent a message to DaSlaya yesterday regarding an idea to start a fundraising effort in order to buy supplements & vitamins for our troops stationed overseas.  I'm curious if anyone is reading & has an opinion about that?

bctuthill
Locker Roommates
« Reply #17: March 30, 2018, 07:51:10 AM »
Back at it today after taking a day off yesterday.  I'm finding that I need to add days to recover without having the ability to do an upper body push day in the mix.  I start my "official" physical therapy on Tuesday and am hoping they'll give me different instructions than the orthopedist about whether or not I can push through pain.  (his advice was not to push through any pain at all)

Workout
- Warm up: 10min Elliptical, level 10
- Shoulder warm up/rehab: banded abduct/adduction (3x10 each side, purple band (light))
- BB Bentover Row (95x10, 115x10, 135x10, 155x10, 175x8, 195x6, 175x8, 155x10, 135x10)
- Landmine Single-Arm Bentover Row (1 plate; 3x10)
   > SS: Banded Shoulder work (I call it the Vitruvian Man workout but have no idea what the real name is, if any.  Basically just taking a lightweight band, standing on it with feet ~shoulder width apart, and holding the band with arms straight out to your sides, then lifting the band over your head and back for a 1 count) (3x10)
           What's the Vitruvian man?  This is... (see the bottom... still need to figure out how some of the functions on the forum work...)
- GHR Reverse Flys (15lb KBs, 3x15)
   > SS: Ab bench (35lbs, 3x10) <-- I'd never used the ab bench before... not a huge fan.  I think I get a better muscle contraction hanging from a bar and doing leg lifts with a DB between my feet
- Calf Raises (135lbs, 3x10, slow transition with 3s pause at top)
   > SS: Seated Tricep Ext. Machine (60lbs, 1x25) <-- This made me feel some pain in the AC joint due to the awkward angle, so only one set of these.
   > SS: Pull ups (2x5, slow transition) <-- These were tough due to being pretty gassed from the rows

That's it from this morning!

I got my stuff in from nutrabio last night and had to give it all a shot, so PWO was NutraBio's V5 preworkout.  Taste was fantastic, strength felt good, energy was a little lacking, but I don't think that's the PWOs fault.  Kiddo was sleeping over Grandma's so Wifey and I had a few grownup drinks and stayed up a little too late.  I had to work through that this morning and think the PWO did as well as it could to get me going.

Nurtabio Classic Whey: Got the cookies and cream, mixed 2 scoops with 6oz. of water (separately, before the shower & after the shower).  Both scoops mixed in with incredible ease, no clumps, and the taste was great!

CGT Max Creatine: Again mixed really well, and was very impressed by the labeling transparency by Nutrabio.  They even disclose the sucralose (80mg).  Very watered down lemon lime taste, which I love.  I hate the strong flavors in things.

bctuthill
Locker Roommates
« Reply #18: April 05, 2018, 01:55:21 PM »
"Woke up this morning... and the pain was gone." - Adam* Banks

Wish I could quote the same, but the pain is at least minor.  I decided it was time to push again.

I've been swamped at work and traveled for Easter so I have been bad about logging for a while here.  Not much was missed though, so rest easy!

Workout
Warmup: Elliptical (10min @ level 11-13)
Warmup: Rotator Cuff work (looking to get things firing but not fatigue the muscles)
- Incline DB Bench (40x10, 45x10, 50x10, 50x10) <-- sad numbers but it didn't hurt my shoulder at all and I was able to focus on the squeeze in my chest and actually got a decent pump)
> SS: Windshield Wipers (3x10 each side) <-- didn't do them after the last set
- DB Decline Bench on Med Ball (50lbs, 3x10)
> SS: A workout I picked up from Terron Beckham (FBAftermath on Instagram) With a 20lb med ball, put one foot in a TRX handle, do a pushup while gripping the medicine ball, jump up to your foot with the medicine ball, jump in the air and spike the medicine ball, do another pushup and repeat.  (3x5 each side)  <-- great cardio!  I have a video if anyone wants to see.  It inspired me to superset with calf raises next
- Decline Bench Machine (independent arms) (70lbs + machine weight, 3x10)
> SS: seated calf raises (135lbs; 3x10) very slow, holding at the peak contraction and stretch.  Plagued by chicken legs all my life!!
- Banded Planks (3x1min) <-- people at the gym keep asking me about these.  They're a lot of fun and have been great for core and shoulder stability.
>SS: Leg lifts on the dip bar (3x5 w/ 3s hold)
>SS: Dips (3x5) <-- Chest was shot from not being worked in so long.  I hardly did anything!

Frustrating when you can't hit your numbers...  Shoulder is feeling good though still, thought it would be hurting by the end of the day.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 04:17:36 PM by bctuthill »

bctuthill
Locker Roommates
« Reply #19: April 06, 2018, 08:07:18 AM »
I think the weather in New England is messing with me!  April 6th and I wake up to sleet at 5, then a short break, then snow.  Now it's stopped again and it should be done.  It's been hard to wake up lately though and I hit snooze until 5:10, didn't get to the gym until 5:45 or so.

Workout
- Warmup: Elliptical (7min @ level 10) <-- NutraBio PWO has a lot of Citrulline...
<Attempted some Front Squats Anderson-Style at 225lbs, did 1... 2nd didn't feel right on my shoulder and was in an area of the gym with no mirrors so I could watch my form, I'll revisit these another day>
- Speed Cleans (135lbs, 1x10; 155lbs, 3x8)
> SS: Landmine Single Arm Rows (60lbs + bar, 3x10 each side)
- Bentover Landmine Rows (90lbs + bar, 3x10 close grip, 3x10 neutral grip)
> SS: BB Drag Curls (45lbs, 1x10; 65lbs, 4x10)
- Banded KB Sumo-Style DL (60lbs KBs, 3x10)
> SS: Straight Arm cable PD (50lbs, 3x10)

Ran out of time... short lift.

I went back to the gym after work last night and just did a lot of Rotator Cuff work, Dips (8x5), L-sits on the dip bar (4x5 w/ 3s hold).  Chest is a little sore from the meager work it received yesterday.  Might go for round 2 again tonight.

Clipper83
Rep: +4,424
Locker Roommates
« Reply #20: April 06, 2018, 08:49:20 AM »
I'm an evening trainer myself. Not sure how people manage to get to the gym so early lol
If you can't explain it using simple words, you don't understand it well enough.

JayT
Rep: +2,781
Locker Roommates
« Reply #21: April 06, 2018, 08:58:58 AM »
I prefer mid day. Usually the least crowded, get to sleep in a bit more in the morning, and don't have to take a pre workout too late at night and mess up your sleep. Plus it's the most packed at night.

bctuthill
Locker Roommates
« Reply #22: April 06, 2018, 10:31:04 AM »
I'm an evening trainer myself. Not sure how people manage to get to the gym so early lol
I started doing mornings close to a year ago.  Part of it was necessity because my wife started working out again and it made it tough for both of us to lift after work then still get our son fed and put to bed.  I started going at 6, then she decided she wanted to go in the morning too lol.  So, I started going at 5.  Some mornings like today are brutal, but I love getting in there and feeling accomplished at the beginning of the day now.

I prefer mid day. Usually the least crowded, get to sleep in a bit more in the morning, and don't have to take a pre workout too late at night and mess up your sleep. Plus it's the most packed at night.

I love going then too, but unfortunately doesn't fit my schedule right now.  That's awesome you can work a session in at that time though.  Are you going to school or just have a flexible work schedule or something?

JayT
Rep: +2,781
Locker Roommates
« Reply #23: April 06, 2018, 10:40:49 AM »
Nah I either work really early in the morning or late at night. 

bctuthill
Locker Roommates
« Reply #24: April 06, 2018, 12:44:47 PM »
Nah I either work really early in the morning or late at night. 

See now that I couldn't do!

bctuthill
Locker Roommates
« Reply #25: April 07, 2018, 05:15:26 PM »
WHO NEVER SKIPS LEG DAY... BATMAN!!  ...anyone?

Today's workout was a cardio-free squat medley.

WORKOUT
Warmup: Just a few dynamic stretches to get the blood flowing
Warmup II: Pistol Squats (BW; 10 each side)
Squat Medley
- Front Squats (135lbs, 1x10; 225, 2x6)
- Back Squats (225, 1x10; 275, 1x10)
       My knee is still bothering me from the stupid leg extensions.  275 was starting to aggravate it so I decided I'm too old for the joint damage and I should focus on function and aesthetics.  Plus, there was nobody next to me to compete with...
- Back Squats (135, 2x10)
- Reverse BB Lunges (135, 3x6 each side)
- Overhead Squats (65 (not a typo), 1x6; 85, 1x6; 95, 1x6) <-- I'd like to get better at these but they feel so awkward... 
   > SS: Overhead Romanian Split Squats (50lbs, 3x6 each side)
- Zercher Squats (95, 1x10; 115, 2x10)
- Deficit Deadlifts (135, 2x10)
- Calf Raises (135, 1x25)

That's all today

bctuthill
Locker Roommates
« Reply #26: April 09, 2018, 05:17:50 PM »
Working the pushes back in is feeling great.  Still shocked at the fall off, but I think I'm going to make it an opportunity.  I didn't notice much loss of mass in my chest, and now I can focus on building that more fundamentally without my ego getting in the way.

Workout
Warmup: Elliptical (10min; level 13-11)
Warmup: A couple shoulder strength & mobility exercises posted by Craig Capurso that fit well into my routine. 
  First was basically chest flys using a stack of weights, or in my case two unoccupied benches, in prone position.  Basically just letting your BW pull you down, then contracting.  Contracting in between static stretches is a great way to immediately increase ROM.  Next time you are stretching someone, tell them to push their leg down to the floor while keeping it straight and give them resistance all the way down.  When they relax again they'll be able to move their leg substantially further.  The same effect wasn't felt with these.  I will probably try them again but didn't really see the value this morning.
  Second was just a wide stance with one hand holding a KB straight overhead, then bending in a hinge/reaching down and touching the floor with the other hand.  This was a supremely humbling exercise.  Clearly my flexibility sucks, but I will say that my lower back felt amazing afterwards and I am going to keep doing this one.
- DB Incline Press (50s, 1x10; 55s, 3x10)
   SS: Hanging leg raises (BW, 3x10) Skipped the last SS because I kept losing my bars (people moving into the squat racks/cable racks)... and I was gassed...
- Ninja Jump Med-ball Slam Push-ups (20lb med ball, 3x5 each side)
   SS: DB Press on Med-ball (50s; 3x12)
- Indy Arm Chest Press (96lbs [6lb starting weight per arm], 3x10) <-- this felt like I probably shouldn't have been doing it.  The last few reps felt... wiggly.
   SS: Calf Raises (135, 1x10; 185, 2x6)
- BW Dips (3x10)
   SS: External Rotations (Yellow Resistance Band, 3x10)

(Booya!) Bonus Content for today (Booya!)     (Booya!) Bonus Content for today (Booya!)     (Booya!) Bonus Content for today (Booya!)     Shake de Jour:
  • 5 ice cubes
  • 1 Medium Banana
  • 1 Scoop Impact Whey Concentrate - Vanilla (MP)
  • 1 Scoop Miscellar Casein - Cookies & Cream (MP)
  • 2 tbsp Peanut Butter
  • 10oz Skim Milk

k/Cal: 602
P: 61g
F: 18g
C: 51g

Tastes like a nutter butter  :)

bctuthill
Locker Roommates
« Reply #27: April 11, 2018, 12:23:01 PM »
BACK DAY Woo!!

Pretty good wake-up this morning.  My son had some kind of 24 hour bug that had him puking all Monday night into Tuesday morning, so just waking up and realizing I don't have it too was enough to hype me up.

Workout
Warmup: Treadmill (.5m @ 8.5mph) <-- I hate treadmills.  I'm scared of falling off and just end up running into the rail in front the whole time.  Never been a pace guy...
- Landmine B/O Row - Neutral Grip (90lbs, 3x10)
- Landmine B/O Row - Close Grip (90lbs, 1x12; 115lbs, 2x12)
- Single-Arm DB Row (60s, 3x12)
- GHR DB Reverse Flys (15s, 3x15)
- Sled Pulls [essentially just moving down the 20 yard turf area, setting myself in an athletic squared stance, making an explosive pull, resetting] (315lbs, 1x8) <-- one of the TRX handles that I was using to pull it broke
- 1-arm Sled Pulls! (315lbs, 3x10 each arm)
- Rock-Grips Pull-ups (BW, 3x5)
> SS: Lateral Abduction/Adduction Rehab (Purp. Band, 3x10 each movement, each arm)
> SS: Scapular Row (3/4" Band, 3x10 each side)
> SS: L-sits on the Dip Bars (BW, 3x10 w/ pause)

Clipper83
Rep: +4,424
Locker Roommates
« Reply #28: April 11, 2018, 12:31:37 PM »
Any info on what you're taking around your workouts? Pre? BCAA?
If you can't explain it using simple words, you don't understand it well enough.

bctuthill
Locker Roommates
« Reply #29: April 11, 2018, 12:52:11 PM »
I've gotten away from including that. Thanks for the reminder.

PWO: NutraBio v5 @ 5:15am

Nothing intra

Post workout is the shake I posted Monday night.
(5 ice cubes
1 Medium Banana
1 Scoop Impact Whey Concentrate - Vanilla (MP)
1 Scoop Miscellar Casein - Cookies & Cream (MP)
2 tbsp Peanut Butter
10oz Skim Milk

k/Cal: 602
P: 61g
F: 18g
C: 51g)

SuperHD fire morning dose @ 9:30am

GI juice, half scoop @ 11:30am

SuperHD Fire afternoon dose @ 2pm

GI juice, half scoop @ 3pm

Copyright © 2019 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved!