Forum

Going vegan to start 2018

Read 23105 times

JayT
Rep: +2,781
Trust: 100%
Locker Roommates
« Reply #75: April 16, 2018, 05:56:59 PM »
Just out of curiosity were you/ are you doing Kickboxing or Muay Thai? Good on ya either way

Kickboxing.  Got a sweet deal on Groupon lol

BroteinBoy
Rep: +1,071
« Reply #76: April 16, 2018, 07:21:06 PM »
Thats awesome, such a great way to get a sweat on. Never hurts letting some anger out either lol

MMAFreak
Rep: +2,469
« Reply #77: April 18, 2018, 07:07:42 AM »
Looks like going Vegan is working out well for you man! How do you feel overall after being on a vegan diet since the beginning of the year? Kickboxing is awesome! Nothing burns fat like kickboxing. Gets even more interesting when you start sparring. You come to realize that getting hit adds a whole other layer to how well your wind holds up. LOL
Nobody cares. Work harder.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #78: April 18, 2018, 09:48:15 AM »
Looks like going Vegan is working out well for you man! How do you feel overall after being on a vegan diet since the beginning of the year? Kickboxing is awesome! Nothing burns fat like kickboxing. Gets even more interesting when you start sparring. You come to realize that getting hit adds a whole other layer to how well your wind holds up. LOL

I'm really liking it.  I don't necessarily feel much better health wise, I have just decided to stick with it because I don't really miss meat since I have found a lot of alternatives and vegan places to eat out.  I've been stocking up on vegan proteins when I see them on sale and I actually just bought tofu yesterday at Costco.  I have never made it before, but I want to get a little bit more protein in my diet.  On a normal day, I am getting around 100 g of protein.  I have been using seitan occasionally, which I like, but I wanted to switch things up.  I have always been against using soy, but I want to give it a try.  I'm not losing weight as quickly as I thought I would be either, only lost about ten pounds since the new year.

And yeah kickboxing has been really fun.  I'm going to have to go through another police academy in a few months and this one has boxing, so I wanted to work on some technique. 

Yesterday did an hour kickboxing in the morning, then hit chest/tris in the afternoon.

Week 4

"Athlean Density Training Phase"

This phase is doing a prescribed amount of sets in as little amount of time as possible.

Jeff gives three exercise options in three different tiers.  You pick one exercise in each tier and complete five rounds with minimum rest.  You have to complete 15 sets of chest exercises in under a maximum time of 15 minutes.  Then you do the same thing with triceps.  So the whole workout should be a max of a half hour if you do it properly. 

The exercises I chose for chest were plyo pushups in tier one, incline DB press in tier two, and cable crossovers in tier three

The exercises I chose for triceps were lying DB triceps extensions in tier one, banded wood chopper push downs in tier two, and physioball DB kickbacks in tier three

Sauna to finish.

I started the NOW pea protein and Naked brown rice protein yesterday. 

RobertMc1982
Rep: +688
Locker Roommates
« Reply #79: June 19, 2018, 01:58:33 PM »
Great work in here man, and much respect to you for going vegan.  My wife has been vegetarian for 22 years, and actually made the switch to vegan at the beginning of this year as well.  I've tried but failed in the past, although I hope to eventually find the dedication to take the leap and make it stick one day.  I'm mostly vegetarian now but I do eat fish, mainly a lot of canned tuna and occasionally shrimp.

I know this is a couple of months old now, but one thing I really like to do with tofu is scramble it as I would eggs, and then I'll add some roasted potatoes and peppers to tortillas to make breakfast burritos.  I also use morning star sausage crumbles, but they contain milk and egg whites.   I'm sure there is a vegan option out there though.  We also add TVP to almost all our sauces, which dramatically increases the protein content without adding soy. 

That chili you made sounds amazing.  I'm gonna have to check out jack fruit.  I've never heard of it until I read your log.  I guess you really do learn something new everyday lol..

Keep up the good work!
Date of profile pic: 7/13/18

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #80: June 19, 2018, 06:07:40 PM »
Thanks for checking in man. Still 100% vegan (aside from the couple times I accidentally ate products containing honey), and I don't think I'll ever go back. I just don't see the need eating meat/dairy/eggs with all the substitutes readily available and I just don't want to contribute to animals suffering anymore.

I'm still making progress in the gym and my physique looks just as good, if not better than when I was consuming animal products (pics will be coming in shortly once I finish my three month athleanX program). I haven't been posting just because there wasn't as much interaction on this thread as I hoped to generate and I have other things to do besides having a monologue with myself lol. Maybe since you posted, it could spark things up again, which I'd be more than happy to have a conversation/debate/answer questions about.

Wis3guy
Rep: +3,099
Locker Roommates
« Reply #81: June 20, 2018, 12:55:15 AM »
I hope you do, also interested in your program from Jeff.  I watch a lot of his stuff, haven't pulled the trigger on his program though.

onder18
Rep: +1,046
« Reply #82: June 27, 2018, 05:56:26 PM »
I meant to ask this a while earlier in this log. Are you taking any b12 supplements? I know b12 is only in meat so vegans are usually are recommended to supplement with it.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #83: June 27, 2018, 06:26:47 PM »
I meant to ask this a while earlier in this log. Are you taking any b12 supplements? I know b12 is only in meat so vegans are usually are recommended to supplement with it.

I use nutritional yeast which contains it and also fortified plant based "milks".  I've been doing soy milk recently actually even though I originally said I wouldn't do soy. I've been reading up on it a bit more and I feel like it's a pretty good source of protein and tastes pretty good too. The estrogen that it's known for is called phytoestrogen and it only affects plants from what I've read. But I do take a B complex vitamin I got from Whole Foods maybe twice a week just to be on the safe side. A lot of pre-workouts contain b12 as well like Nutrabio Pre and Pre-Kaged.

Clipper83
Rep: +4,424
Locker Roommates
« Reply #84: June 27, 2018, 07:23:11 PM »
What about ferment soy?
If you can't explain it using simple words, you don't understand it well enough.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #85: June 27, 2018, 07:36:34 PM »
What about ferment soy?

Tempeh? I prefer it way more than tofu. Tofu is a lot more processed and it doesn't really have a taste to it. Tempeh has more protein and has a nuttier flavor.

Clipper83
Rep: +4,424
Locker Roommates
« Reply #86: June 27, 2018, 08:13:28 PM »
I hear somewhere that it has b12, but it looks like I was wrong :)
If you can't explain it using simple words, you don't understand it well enough.

onder18
Rep: +1,046
« Reply #87: June 28, 2018, 08:14:16 AM »
I use nutritional yeast which contains it and also fortified plant based "milks".  I've been doing soy milk recently actually even though I originally said I wouldn't do soy. I've been reading up on it a bit more and I feel like it's a pretty good source of protein and tastes pretty good too. The estrogen that it's known for is called phytoestrogen and it only affects plants from what I've read. But I do take a B complex vitamin I got from Whole Foods maybe twice a week just to be on the safe side. A lot of pre-workouts contain b12 as well like Nutrabio Pre and Pre-Kaged.
Got it. Thanks for the answer. I have a friend and coworker who is a vegan and into fitness. So I pick his brain often times about things. He uses nutritional yeast also. He also started recently using creatine and carnitine  because those are also two things that are vegan recommended supplements.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #88: June 28, 2018, 09:15:16 AM »
Got it. Thanks for the answer. I have a friend and coworker who is a vegan and into fitness. So I pick his brain often times about things. He uses nutritional yeast also. He also started recently using creatine and carnitine  because those are also two things that are vegan recommended supplements.

Yeah man of course, anytime.  CarnoSyn is vegan too, you could recommend that.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #89: July 12, 2018, 11:24:30 AM »
Just received the last of the products I purchased through fourth of July sales. Got enough protein powders to last me a few months and ended up subscribing to KOS and will be receiving one chocolate and one vanilla protein powder every 90 days.

Copyright © 2019 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved!