Forum

Going vegan to start 2018

Read 20266 times

Wis3guy
Rep: +3,098
Trust: 100%
Locker Roommates
« Reply #45: March 17, 2018, 02:23:52 AM »
Nice, and don't worry too much.  Everyone gets busy.

Admin_
Rep: +4,815
Administrator
« Reply #46: March 18, 2018, 03:25:41 PM »
BMI ALERT!  YOU'RE TOO JACKED.  Seriously though, BMI is such a silly measure...
- Tommy

BroteinBoy
Rep: +1,070
« Reply #47: March 20, 2018, 02:54:05 PM »
Not a knock on Vegans here at all, my girlfriend is one in fact. I know its not for me at all, but just a note to maybe try and get extensive tests done, I saw a study recently (its on youtube I believe) where a guy went vegan for a month, lost 2.5kg of muscle mass and had a 3% decrease in bone density. Just something to look out for.

JayT
Rep: +2,781
Locker Roommates
« Reply #48: March 20, 2018, 04:17:03 PM »
Not a knock on Vegans here at all, my girlfriend is one in fact. I know its not for me at all, but just a note to maybe try and get extensive tests done, I saw a study recently (its on youtube I believe) where a guy went vegan for a month, lost 2.5kg of muscle mass and had a 3% decrease in bone density. Just something to look out for.

Did they give a reason why there was a loss in bone density? Like what nutrient the person was deficient in?

Wis3guy
Locker Roommates
« Reply #49: March 20, 2018, 05:16:09 PM »
Yeah, if your losing bone density and muscle in a month, there is something going on.  Possibly wasn't eating the correct vegan foods.  Nope I'm not vegan, but I know some and they do fine.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #50: March 21, 2018, 07:21:46 AM »
Made a buffalo purple cauliflower pizza the other night.  Picked up a sprouted grain pizza crust from Trader Joe's (realized after I bought it that it contains honey, oops), made a buffalo sauce using coconut yogurt and Frank's red hot sauce, sautéed some purple cauliflower in avocado oil, s&p, and garlic, added Follow Your Heart vegan mozzarella, and parsley.

bctuthill
Rep: +2,134
Locker Roommates
« Reply #51: March 22, 2018, 04:26:13 AM »
Looks like a work of art! How did it taste?

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #52: March 22, 2018, 04:57:49 AM »
Looks like a work of art! How did it taste?

Thanks man. And it was good. Definitely going to be making it again soon. Was really easy to make too. Probably took 10-15 minutes altogether.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #53: March 28, 2018, 10:23:45 AM »
Over a week into Ferodrox and have not seen much in regards to effectiveness besides slight boosts in libido and vascularity.  I have been feeling like I've just been "going through the motions" in the gym lately and have not really been 100% dedicated, so I decided I needed a push.  Figured this would also liven up this journal. I purchased a program from Athlean X.  The creator of the various programs, Jeff Cavaliere, is one of my favorite fitness guys to follow on Instagram/YouTube.  He is extremely knowledgeable about fitness and has the body to back up his knowledge. 

The program I bought is called AX-2 which is a 12 week program designed to help build muscle and burn fat.  (He has many different programs that are geared for different goals and fitness levels).  Also included is a nutritional plan, but obviously I will be following my own.  Today was my first workout:

Week 1: The break-in

"PUSH PULL PERFORMANCE PRIMER"

Thumbs Up DB Incline Bench
75 x 12 r x 3 s
Lead with thumbs to get better activation of the chest.

DB Shoulder "L" Raises
15 x 10 each x 3 s
10 reps to the front and 10 reps to the side for each arm, each set (basically one arm does a front DB raise and the other does a lateral DB raise, hence the "L" name, then alternate.

Diamond Push-Ups
BW x failure x 3

Chin Ups
BW x failure x 3

DB "No Money" Curls
20 x 12 r x 3 s
Not sure where the name comes from, but it's a curl with elbows at your side, then externally rotate your hands at the top for some rotator cuff work.

Hanging bicycle kicks and hanging leg raises for some ab work.

Calls for 30-45 second rest in between each set. 

Clipper83
Rep: +4,424
Locker Roommates
« Reply #54: March 28, 2018, 10:29:59 AM »
I've heard good things about AthleanX actually. How much did the program cost you?
If you can't explain it using simple words, you don't understand it well enough.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #55: March 28, 2018, 10:33:56 AM »
I've heard good things about AthleanX actually. How much did the program cost you?

$97, but I opted for the "plus" version which gives videos and additional workouts I believe lol. $67 is the price for the basic version of the program. And like I said, he has other programs so they may all vary in price.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #56: March 29, 2018, 12:52:57 PM »
Oh I think I forgot to mention that I have been following an intermittent fasting diet protocol for the past few weeks.  I normally fast until 2-4pm depending on my schedule for the day and then I eat for six hours.  I think I have some good energy in the morning and I like training fasted.  After a while, you get used to the fasting aspect and I normally don't have an issue fasting until the afternoon. 

Day 2 "AfterShoX '2-Play' Primer"

Day focused on lower body; A supersetted with B.

1A: Forward Step Up/Throughs
20 x 10 each leg x 2 s
25 x 10 each leg x 2 s
Step up on a bench while holding DBs and bring your off leg up explosively to your chest.  Foot that is on the bench does a toe raise simultaneously.

1B: Kettlebell Swings
35 x 15 r x 4 s

2A: High Hip Bucks
BW x 10 r x 3 s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDNZEU4TlM4

2B: Hip Buck Marches
BW x 12 each leg x 3 s
You're in a static hip buck position and you just march your feet while driving your heel through the bench/box.

BCTut, if you're reading this, I think you'll like this exercise.  This hits your lower hammies like a leg curl would, but in a more functional way and without the possible knee discomfort.

3A: Shuffle Shuffle Pickups
BW x 12 each leg x 3 s
You're in an athletic position similar to a LB stance or an infielder stance ready to field a ground ball and do two shuffle steps to one side and squat like you're picking up something, then repeat to the other side.

3B: Sprinter Lunge Leaps
BW x 8 each leg x 3 s
You're in a sprinter stance and do a jumping split squat.

Abs to finish off.

Quick workout. This is what Jeff preaches.  Basically get in and get out.  I like it and the supersets allow you to get a sweat going and a good burn in your legs. 

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #57: March 29, 2018, 08:00:16 PM »
Diet for the day..

Waking: ACV

Pre-workout: Pre Historic, Ferodrox

Intra workout: Kaged Hydra Charge, Kaged BCAAs

Post-workout: smoothie of 1 serving Naked Pea Protein, 1 c frozen blueberries, 1 frozen banana, 1 serving greens supplement

Meal 1: 1 c rolled oats, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tbsp flax seeds, cinnamon, pink himalayan salt, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 scoop Garden of Life plant protein.

Meal 2: Sweet and sour chickpeas: https://www.veganricha.com/2015/12/sweet-and-sour-chickpeas-peppers-broccoli.html   changed up a bit of the recipe and used agave instead of regular sugar, coconut aminos instead of soy sauce, and carrots instead of peppers because I did not have peppers home, and used wild rice instead of white/brown rice.  If you have never heard of wild rice, I suggest you look into it.  The macros on it are better than white or brown rice.  It takes longer to cook, but it also brings a nutty flavor to your dish.  It also has more texture than other rices because you normally serve it al dente. Only downside is it's much more expensive than white rice. I also omitted the cornstarch from my dish.  I really like this recipe. I have made it a lot, it's easy and it's cheap.  Scoop of Purely Inspired Plant Based Protein to drink with dinner.

Pre Bed: Serving 92% dark chocolate, frozen banana with two tbsp almond butter.

Calories: 2495
Fat: 77 g
Carbs: 344 g
Protein: 117 g
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:03:46 PM by JayT »

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #58: March 31, 2018, 07:19:48 AM »
Yesterday's workout was cardio based and took only about 20 minutes or so to complete.  Realized that I could do everything right at home, so I didn't even go to the gym. 

"Bumps, Jumps, and Jacks"

This workout consisted of 3 one minute cycles of burpees, box jumps, and jumping jacks for seven total rounds.  Your rest time is determined by how quickly you complete each round.  The goal is to hit 10 burpees within a minute, 12 box jumps within a minute, and 40 jumping jacks within a minute.  You set a timer for a minute and once you complete your 10 burpees, you rest for the remainder of that minute.  Say it takes 25 seconds to complete 10 burpees, you rest for the remaining 35 seconds.  Then you do the same thing for box jumps and jumping jacks and do it for seven rounds, so 21 exercises in total.  I was using the stairs in my house for box jumps.  He gives suggestions on how to complete all of his workouts at home, which is a cool thing about this program. 

I then finished with abs.  Another cool thing about the program is you decide when you want to do abs.  You can do them every day or not do them at all.  You check off the level you think you're at with abs and check off what equipment you have at the gym/home and then you'll get a random ab circuit using the equipment available to you.  Here is an example of his ab workout that you can follow along https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jyhJ6TiUPA&t=463s. I've been trying to do an ab workout every day.  The best thing about them too is that they only last a max of like 8 minutes. 

Yesterday's diet:

Waking: ACV

Pre workout (4pm): 1/2 scoop Pre Historic, Ferodrox

Intra workout: Kaged Hydra Charge, Nutra Bio Beta Alanine

Post workout: smoothie of serving of Naked Pea Protein, 1 c frozen blueberries, 1 frozen banana, greens supplement

Dinner: made a vegetable pizza using Trader Joe's sprouted grain crust, jarred tomato sauce (I like Rao's), Follow Your Heart vegan mozzarella, sauteed veggies of mushrooms and onions in avocado oil, Upton's Naturals Italian seitan, sliced olives, made a balsamic reduction to drizzle on top. 

Snacks: blood orange, granny smith apple, Purely Inspired plant based protein.

Pre Bed: serving dark chocolate, frozen banana, 1 c frozen blueberries, 2 tbsp sunflower butter.

Calories: 2,250
Fat: 75 g
Carbs: 284 g
Protein: 110 g

About to hit the gym in about an hour for a full body workout. Pic of the pizza:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 07:28:51 AM by JayT »

Wis3guy
Locker Roommates
« Reply #59: March 31, 2018, 07:48:21 AM »
Nice job, I've watched a few of his videos.  He is interesting.  I have some simular workouts vs time as well.  They can get pretty nasty.....

Copyright © 2019 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved!