How-to Guides and Articles

Forum

Going vegan to start 2018

Read 21751 times

MMAFreak
Rep: +2,469
Trust: 100%
« Reply #30: January 23, 2018, 08:27:23 AM »
MMA, I understand what you're saying. Not to sound too full of myself, but I feel like I'm a bit more educated than a typical vegan who's doing it because it may be "trendy". Technically foods like Oreos are considered vegan and i wouldn't touch those. I have a lot of different oils in my diet (coconut, avocado, olive, nuts/seeds) and foods fortified in b12 (almond/pea milk, nutritional yeast). I also eat a lot of leafy greens and sprouted grains for iron. I know it's non-heme iron, but still. 

I think it could be said that many people who consume mostly meat based products are deficient in far more vitamins and minerals than a vegan. However, I think I will eventually add in some eggs down the road for dietary cholesterol, animal sourced b12, and complete source of protein. Who knows, maybe even end up reverting to my old lifestyle of organic, free range meats. Just wanted to give this lifestyle a chance and see if I felt better or worse. Kind of an experiment, if you will.

Weighed in at 205.4, which is a four pound loss since the first of the year. Ran nine miles this week, bringing my total to 21+ in the month. Haven't really been going to the gym. Every time I have gone, it's been so crowded it kind of just ruins my mood as soon as I step in. Hopefully the crowd starts dying out soon.

You are definitely more educated on the subject than someone who hops the train to be trendy. Definitely keep this log updated as I am curious to see how this pans out for you man.

And don't worry Tommy. No one has to tell the resolution crowd to give up. They usually start to figure out sometime in February that they aren't really dedicated anyway. :)
Nobody cares. Work harder.

JayT
Rep: +2,781
Locker Roommates
« Reply #31: January 25, 2018, 08:05:25 PM »
I think I made up my mind for good and will head into more of a bodybuilding type split.  Powerlifting right now isn't working for me and to be honest, it probably was not the best idea to begin with being on a cut and running more.  I think I will be running a program similar to the Steve Weatherford Armageddon program--
 https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=34426.0 page 4--that I started around this time last year; I ended up in probably the best shape of my life (physique wise anyway). 

Monday - Mass Arms
Barbell Cheat Curls:  95 x 10 r x 4 s

DB Hammer Curls: 40 x 10 r x 4 s

DB Concentration Curls: 20 x 10 r x 4 s

Lying Cable Curls: 50 reps (drop set)

Barbell Flat Skull Crushers: 50 x 10 r x 4 s

CG Bench Press: 135 x 10 r x 4 s

Lying DB Triceps Extension: 20 x 10 r x 4 s

Diet
Was busy for most of the day; didn't really eat much

Apple cider vinegar upon waking

Post workout -  smoothie of 1/2 c coconut water, 1/2 c frozen blueberries, frozen banana, 1 c frozen spinach, 2 tbsp pb powder, 1 serving Naked Pea protein

Dinner - big salad of 3 cups curly kale, 1 tbsp EVOO, 3 tbsp nutritional yeast, 3 cloves minced garlic, tbsp apple cider vinegar, pink himalayan salt, pepper

Snacks - 1.  trail mix of hazelnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, raisins.  2. Sumo orange.  3. Seaweed chips. 4. Kombucha

TOTALS: 1410 calories, 62 g fat, 161 carbs, 65 g protein

Tuesday - Legs

Lying Leg Curls: 70 x 15 r x 3

Low Bar Squat: 275 x 6 r x 4 s

Barbell SLDL: 185 x 12 r x 3 s

Bulgarian DB Split Squats: 35 x 12 each leg x 2 s

DB Cossack Squat: 25 x 6 each x 3 s

Standing Calf Raises: 100 x 12 r x 3 s

Diet

Apple cider vinegar upon waking

Post workout -  smoothie of 1/2 c coconut water, 1/2 c frozen blueberries, frozen banana, 1 c frozen spinach, 2 tbsp pb powder, 1 serving Naked Pea protein

Post workout meal - Ezekiel sprouted grain tortilla, four oz. Beyond Meat Burger (pretty good tasting alternative to beef burgers, little on the pricey side) cooked in 1/2 tbsp avocado oil, slice of dairy free pepper jack cheese (made by Follow Your Heart, coconut oil based cheese, tastes decent), tbsp ketchup, 1/2 avocado, dill pickles.

Lunch - two slices sprouted Ezekiel 7 grain bread, tbsp coconut oil (great alternative for butter), 2 tbsp strawberry jelly, sea salt.

Dinner - 1 c steel cut oats, tbsp chia seeds, tbsp coconut sugar, 2 tbsp hemp hearts, cinnamon, pinch pink Himalayan salt.

Snacks - 1. rainbow carrots with 3 servings black bean hummus. 2. 1/4 c salted pumpkin seeds. 3. sumo orange. 4. flax milk plus protein 2 tbsp pb fit. 

TOTALS: 2515 calories, 112 g fat, 275 g carbs, 120 g protein

Wednesday - Chest

DB Fly: 20 x 12 r x 3 s

Bench: 225 x 6 r x 4 s

Push Ups: BW x 25 r x 3 s

Diet

Apple cider vinegar, 1 pear, 1/4 c almonds upon waking

Lunch 1: 2 slices Ekeziel sprouted 7 grain bread, 2 tbsp pb, 2 tbsp jelly, cinnamon

Lunch 2: 2 sweet potatoes roasted in EVOO, rosemary, garlic, sea salt

Post workout: smoothie of 1/2 c coconut water, 1/2 c frozen blueberries, frozen banana, 1 c frozen spinach, 2 tbsp pb powder, 1 serving Naked Pea protein

Dinner: 1/4 c brown rice, vegetable stir fry of 1/2 tbsp avocado oil, 2 tbsp coconut aminos, baby bella mushrooms, broccoli, 1/2 c vegetable broth.  Salad of 2 c baby kale, rainbow carrots, grape tomatoes, 1 tbsp EVOO, 1 tbsp agave, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, pink himalayan salt, pepper.

Snacks: 1. 1/4 c shelled salted sunflower seeds.  2. flax milk with protein 2 tbsp pb fit.

TOTALS: 2190 calories, 79 g fat, 297 carbs, 96 g protein

Thursday - Back

Reverse Pec Dec: 60 x 15 r x 3 s

Dead Hang Pull Ups: BW x 8 r x 3 s

Pendlay Row: 155 x 6 r x 4 s

Inverted Underhand Row: BW x 12 r x 3 s

Kroc DB Row: 80 x 12 ea x 3 s

Hammer Strength Iso Low Row: 45 ea x 12 r x 3 s

Back Ext: BW x 20 r x 3 s

Diet

ACV upon waking

Post workout: smoothie of 1/2 c coconut water, 1/2 c frozen blueberries, frozen banana, 1 c frozen spinach, 2 tbsp pb powder, 1 serving Naked Pea protein

Lunch: 1 c steel cut oats, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp chia sees, 1 tbsp coconut sugar, cinnamon, pinch pink Himalayan salt

Dinner: 2 sweet potatoes, 1 tbsp avocado oil, rosemary, minced garlic, sea salt.  Salad of 2 cups baby kale, 1 tbsp EVOO, 1 tbsp ACV, 1 tbsp agave, 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, grape tomatoes, cucumber, pink himalayan salt.

Snacks: 1. Kombucha 2. 1/4 c pumpkin seeds 1/4 c raisins. 3. sumo orange 4. 93% dark chocolate (probably the darkest chocolate I have come across and it's vegan too) 2 tbsp sunflower butter.  5. flax milk with protein 2 tbsp pb fit. 

TOTALS: 2315 calories, 101 g fat, 273 g carbs, 91 g protein.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #32: February 07, 2018, 06:16:35 AM »
Sorry that I have not been updating much.  This log really has not gone as planned.  I was hoping to share some recipes and my diet a lot more and I have just not had the time to update as much as I would have liked. 

Anyway, I weighed in at 203 this past Sunday (-1.4 loss on the week, -6.4 loss on the month).  I have been "letting go" a bit on Sundays for the playoffs and the Super Bowl, but now no more cheat days for a while.  I still have not had any animal product since the beginning of the year.  Yesterday was the first time I had caffeine since the new year.  I had over a month to give my adrenal glands a break and will try to keep caffeine consumption to a minimum.  Working out without it was tough and it was really negatively affecting my workouts.  Sad to say that I almost have to rely on caffeine to get a good workout in.  I was able to complete my goal of running a mile a day in the month of January with a total of 31.3 miles. Have not run since, but that's okay lol.

Wis3guy
Rep: +3,099
Locker Roommates
« Reply #33: February 07, 2018, 12:20:41 PM »
Who likes to run anyway?  That's why we all are trying to get bigger, then the other guy runs away......😉😎

MMAFreak
« Reply #34: February 12, 2018, 12:51:11 PM »
How are you feeling with the switch to vegan? Any notable differences in things like energy levels or recovery time?

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #35: February 12, 2018, 01:32:21 PM »
Energy level is hard to tell because I stopped caffeine except having it one day last week. However, it is a lot easier for me to wake up in the mornings. Idk if that's because I'm not as tolerant on caffeine now though. Recovery I would say is probably the same; maybe just a touch worse. Of course you know that's another aspect that you have to take with a grain of salt because there are more variables that factor into that like training intensity, frequency, supplements, etc. My joints have been feeling a little better, but I stopped powerlifting and focused more on stretching too.

I would say the biggest change I have noticed with the switch is that I am hungry a lot more. 2600 calories is hard to stay under now. When I did keto, I thought 2600 calories was a lot easier to stay under. For the most part, I think veganism is a bit overrated as far as health benefits are concerned. I'm planning to get a few tests done in about a month through work regarding my health, so I'll see how "healthy" I really am.

E-2016
Rep: +274
« Reply #36: February 13, 2018, 05:26:27 AM »
JayT, I have dramatically reduced my red meat consumption since September. I completely cut out Pork and have gone to a once a week red meat thing. My brother tried the vegan thing and didn't go very well for him. Probably depends on the person so good luck. Since November I've been completely free of store bought meat. That includes chicken, turkey and beef. There is a large hunting community here as well as self sustainers. By that I mean there is a huge farmers market twice a week for a town with less than 60k people but believe it or not the demand for it is high. You can look on FB and find people willing to sell you there eggs, chicken, pheasant etc. I also have switched my beef to Elk which has done wonders for me. Have you thought about Wild Game if the Vegan doesn't work out? I know you mentioned your against animal cruelty so I don't know how you feel about hunting to eat not for sport. What's your thought on that?

MMAFreak
« Reply #37: February 13, 2018, 08:01:58 AM »
Interesting. I figured with the massive amount of fiber usually associated with vegan diets that you would have a hard time hitting enough calories in a day. Sounds like you are doing well for the most part though. Glad to hear it man!

Zsteinf
Rep: +1,401
« Reply #38: February 13, 2018, 08:06:45 AM »
I tried vegan for a while but couldn't take it very long. The taste was what did me in. One thing was for sure, I had no problems going poop.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #39: February 13, 2018, 01:16:14 PM »
E-2016, that's how I started as well.  Probably two years ago I stopped eating pork and reduced red meat to a couple times a month.  I still ate eggs almost daily and chicken a few times a week. And that's a good recommendation about wild game. I just have no clue where I would find wild caught animals in NJ. I guess I would have to do some research on it. But I still think it's sad shooting a deer lol. 

MMA, yeah I'm probably averaging at least 50 grams of fiber a day, but some of the foods I'm eating are still calorie dense. Carbs are also the least satiating macro and I'm eating a lot of carbs.

Zstein, you must not have been the right foods my man. Yeah some of the processed stuff tastes like garbage, but you can make a lot of vegan foods delicious with the right seasonings and sauces. I swear I'm going to post some recipes on here soon.

Wis3guy
Rep: +3,099
Locker Roommates
« Reply #40: February 13, 2018, 01:38:17 PM »
Promises, promises.......
It's pictures or it didn't happen..
That and smoothies.....
Wait that's my log, oops. Sorry.

E-2016
Rep: +274
« Reply #41: February 13, 2018, 02:23:28 PM »
JayT I feel ya man I was born and raised on LI I've been here and in TX for about 10 years. I am not a Deer guy myself, you can defiantly taste (gamey) it no matter what anyone tells you. Elk you can't if cut, cleaned and cooked write. Only place I can think of would be Upstate NY other than that hunting on the East Coast is not my lane. The Bull I got in November gave me about 275lbs of meat. For a $97 tag thats not to bad. That will feed my family for over a year.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #42: March 16, 2018, 07:36:29 PM »
Sorry I know this journal sucks. I've been busy with work, in the process of being hired by a new police department, gym, girlfriend etc. Haven't really had much time to post.

I'm weighing in around 200 now which is almost 10 pounds lost since the new year. It's coming off slower than I expected, but at least it's progress. I still have not eaten an animal product in 2018 and I believe it's going a lot smoother than I originally thought diet wise. I'm eating enough and feel I'm getting more than enough nutrients. I just picked up some protein I found at BJs for $15 for a two pound jug. Ended up buying three. It's organic and plant based so that was a great find.  I just bought a bottle of Kaged's new product Ferodrox and a greens supplement and just started them today.

I got some bloodwork done through Whole Foods because 1. I wanted to see how a vegan diet affected my health from a "hidden" standpoint and 2. The healthier I am, the more of a discount I can receive (up to 30%).  I really couldn't be happier with the results. Everything came back in a healthy range besides my blood pressure (120/80) and my BMI (which is a stupid indicator anyway). If my blood pressure was at 119/79, it would have been considered healthy, so that's not that big of a deal. I'll try to include the screenshots of the results. Now unfortunately I didn't have an original test done while I was still consuming animal products, so there is nothing to compare it to except my blood pressure, which has usually been slightly high in the past.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #43: March 16, 2018, 07:38:30 PM »
Here are the first half..

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #44: March 16, 2018, 07:39:10 PM »
Second half..

Copyright © 2019 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved!