Locker Roommates
« Reply #15: January 10, 2018, 12:19:50 PM »
Starting pics

JayT
Rep: +2,781
Trust: 100%
Locker Roommates
« Reply #16: January 18, 2018, 06:01:50 AM »
Sorry for lack of updates.. never weighed in over this past weekend, but ran eight miles last week bringing my total for week two at 12 miles. 

Tuesday workout

Low Bar Squat:
185, 225, 275, 315, 365 (belt) x 5

SLDL:
225 x 6 r x 3 s

DB Cossack Squat:
25 x 6 each side x 3

Leg Curls:
70 x 12 r x 3 s

Wednesday workout

Pause Bench:
140, 160, 190, 210, 230 x 5

Standing OHP:
70, 100, 120, 140, 160 x 5

DB Incline:
85 x 12 x 3

DB Lateral Raise:
20 x 12 x 3

Dips:
BW x 25 x 3

Push Ups
BW x 25 x 3

Clipper83
Rep: +4,424
Locker Roommates
« Reply #17: January 18, 2018, 08:13:57 AM »
Wanna give an example of what you eat for a day?
If you can't explain it using simple words, you don't understand it well enough.

mhseaver670
Rep: +6,694
Locker Roommates
« Reply #18: January 18, 2018, 09:11:47 AM »
Wanna give an example of what you eat for a day?

This. please
Maybe you should TRAIN as hard as you HATE.

"Getting stuck isn't always an option but staying stuck is!" - Cam

MMAFreak
Rep: +2,469
« Reply #19: January 18, 2018, 10:17:54 AM »
MMAFreak, I'll agree that the documentaries are definitely biased, but it helps show how poorly these animals are raised and we are then consuming those same animals. I have not personally been to a farm where I see the animals raised due to the fact that I'm in northern NJ and there are not too many farms nearby, but I have bought grass fed sourced red meat and pasture raised chickens over the past few years.

Like I mentioned, I don't know if I would be able to keep up this type of lifestyle, but I at least wanted to try it out. I may eventually gravitate more towards an ovo-pescatarian, but the days of me eating five pieces a chicken a day to hit 200 g of protein are long gone.

I like to look at Asian cultures where they eat a lot of rice and vegetables and they're all so small and skinny. Then you look at cultures like Americans who love meats and processed foods and the majority of us are overweight. Figured carbs can't be as bad as many people claim they are.

And thanks for the suggestions. That's kind of what I was hoping this thread would turn out to be.. a type of educational debate where we could all throw around different ideas and opinions.

There is no doubt that the way some of these large corporations run their farms is fooing horrible. I have seen videos of people just torturing the animals for no reason and completely unacceptable living conditions they are forced into. It's enough to make a person sick. We actually drive about 2 1/2 hours one way to the cattle farm where we buy our beef. It's no big deal because we only really have to go a few times per year at most. (we split a half side with my folks)

I don't know if they still do but Whole Foods used to actually have a rating system showing on a scale of 1-5 how humanely the animals were raised and other factors like their diets and whether or not they used hormones. Not trying to convince you not to be a vegan I just know how hard it can be on some people and ultimately some people just don't feel good on vegan diets. So figured I would put my two cents in on the side of eating meat but reducing the amount of suffering that has to go into eating meat. I would also love to see an example of what you eat in a day on a vegan diet.

Whatever you decide just don't start shooting coffee up your ass like that crazy vegan fella who came around a while back. LOL. I think his name was MrBig or something like that?
Nobody cares. Work harder.

MMAFreak
« Reply #20: January 18, 2018, 10:24:39 AM »
Yep. It was definitely MrBig5 that was shooting coffee up his ass. LMAO!  ;D

https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=19473.30

Admin_
Rep: +4,815
Administrator
« Reply #21: January 18, 2018, 10:30:24 AM »

Wow.   Good memory.  But I guess you don't forget something like that...
- Tommy

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #22: January 18, 2018, 07:22:22 PM »

Yeah I mean that's taking it too far, but I remember watching his videos and some of them were pretty informative.  I think he kind of got roasted unfairly.  I don't really remember him preaching about how going vegan or whatever was the best thing in the world or preaching how we should all be vegans. He was just sharing his experience.  He was the first one who I ever heard of use alkaline water and now that's really all I drink.

I don't know if they still do but Whole Foods used to actually have a rating system showing on a scale of 1-5 how humanely the animals were raised and other factors like their diets and whether or not they used hormones.

And yeah, that's actually where I'm working now as a cook and they still use that rating system for their meats and eggs.  The thing about that is that once you start going towards the 3 rating or higher, you're going to be paying like close to $10/pound for ground beef.  That's crazy.  I just do not think it's cost effective to consistently buy it.  Say you get four four ounce servings in a pound of ground beef.  Each serving contains about 25 g of protein.  25 x 4 = 100 g in about a pound of ground beef.  For $10, I can buy ten cans of organic beans. Each can contains about 3.5 servings.  Let's just say it's three because I'm bad at math and three is easier.  It contains about nine grams of protein per serving (I know, not complete protein) 9 x 3 = 27.. 27 x 10 = 270. Plus you have lower fat, lower sodium, higher potassium, and a lot of fiber.  Not saying legumes are perfect because they need to be paired with a grain to be complete sources of protein and they are high in lectins, but they do offer some benefits and are so cheap. 

Yesterday's diet:

8 AM: Shot of apple cider vinegar upon waking up

10 AM: Pre workout - Genius creatine (was told by one of their reps on Amazon that it is vegan)

1130 AM: Post workout - 1/2 c coconut water, serving Naked Pea Protein, 1/2 c frozen wild blueberries, 1 frozen banana, 1 c frozen spinach (smoothie)

12 PM:  1 c steel cut oats, 1 granny smith apple, 1 tbsp agave, cinnamon, pinch of pink Himalayan salt.

1 PM: 1/4 c of brown rice, 2 tbsp kimchi

2 PM: 1/4 c of hazelnuts and 1/4 c of raisin simple trail mix.  2 mandarin oranges.

7 PM: homemade chili made with 1/2 tbsp avocado oil, 1/2 c vegetable broth, 1/2 yellow onion, 1 c frozen sweet corn, 1/2 canned diced tomatoes, 1/2 c of red kidney beans, 1/2 c black beans, 1/4 c white quinoa. Topped with 1/2 avocado and slice of cashew pepper jack cheese.  Seasonings were pink Himalayan salt, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, red chili flakes.

8 PM: Small package of seaweed chips (great for iodine). 1 c of kombucha. 

11 PM: 1 c flax milk plus protein, 2 tbsp pb powder. 

Totals: 2,455 calories, 61 g fat, 386 g carbs, 106 g protein.

Today's diet:

8 AM: apple cider vinegar upon waking

10 AM: serving Genius creatine

1130 AM: same smoothie as yesterday

12 PM: 1 c steel cut oats, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp coconut sugar, 1 tbsp chia seeds, cinnamon, pink Himalayan salt.

1 PM: 2 mandarin oranges.  Salad of 2 c of curly kale, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp EVOO, 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, 2 cloves fresh pressed garlic.

3 PM: 1/2 c of shelled pistachios, 1 scoop Garden of Life plant based protein. 

9 PM: stir fry of 1/2 c brown rice, 4 oz. ground seitan, 10 asparagus spears, baby bella mushrooms, 1/2 yellow onion, 1 tbsp coconut aminos, 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil, 1 tbsp agave, pink himalayan salt, black pepper, garlic powder.

10 PM: 1 c flax milk plus protein, 2 tbsp pb fit.

Totals: 2,495 calories, 92 g fat, 290 g carbs, 148 g protein
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:56:06 PM by JayT »

Wis3guy
Rep: +3,099
Locker Roommates
« Reply #23: January 18, 2018, 07:26:38 PM »
Very interesting....  And... You need more kimchi.......😇

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #24: January 18, 2018, 07:30:40 PM »
Kimchi is great; I just started eating it.  I get it spicy because I like some heat.  Great for flavor, crunch, and the fermentation is good for probiotics.

MMAFreak
« Reply #25: January 18, 2018, 08:09:41 PM »
There's no doubt that Mr Big got roasted. Kind of asking for it when you start talking about putting coffee in your butt on a forum full of meat heads. I probably wouldn't react the same way now honestly. I would probably warn him of the dangers involved with caffeine going straight to the blood stream and bypassing the liver.

And yes buying the humanely raised beef from whole foods is financially unfeasible for most people. We pay about five bucks a pound after processing and get most of it in ground beef. Most of what you get is roast so I have them grind all but a few pounds of the roast. Obviously I keep the steaks whole.

Question for you though. How do you feel thus far with your switch to veganism?

By the way. Check out the book "Meat is for Pussies" by John Joseph. He was the singer of the Cro Mags and it's a good read. Believe it or not I actually considered veganism at one point because I didn't want to support factory farming. Just couldn't bring myself to do it for health and other reasons. Thanks for sharing your diet man!

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #26: January 18, 2018, 08:39:19 PM »
I honestly haven't felt much different--better or worse.  I mean I wasn't eating a lot of meat and eggs before the switch and I think my diet was pretty clean to begin with.  I did do a lot of whey protein and cheese, though which is probably my biggest change so far. 

I have lost some strength though. I wouldn't say it's totally from going vegan.  Most likely a combination of cutting calories, running a lot more, not taking caffeine/pre workout, and a lack of consistency over the past few months in the gym.  I keep switching between powerlifting based workouts and bodybuilding every couple months.  I can't ever make up my mind lol.

And thanks for the recommendation, looks like an interesting book. What health reasons are you referring to? Just curious.  Interested in some different perspectives.

MMAFreak
« Reply #27: January 19, 2018, 05:25:26 AM »
The biggest health concerns I am referring to is just the huge jump in carbohydrate intake that most people who go vegan end up making. It seems like the more research that they do the more they find that refined carbohydrates and sugar are detrimental to your health (duh). Obviously there are healthy choices when it comes to eating vegan but it seems like most people I see end up taking in a lot of sugar. Even if it is from fruit there isn't a whole lot of difference in the way your body processes fructose versus sucrose. Obviously the benefit of having fiber in the fruit makes it better than eating candy but you get what I mean.

The other issue would just be general deficiencies in things like B vitamins and Iron. I know you can supplement these things but it is a very delicate balance for vegans and many end up with these deficiencies as a result. Not to mention the lack of cholesterol and fats in a traditional vegan diet. Again the more research that is done the more they find benefit to diets high in fat and cholesterol. Especially when it comes to hormone regulation. Not that you can't pack in things like coconut oil, avocados, and tree nuts but traditionally vegans eat much lower fat. I feel best on high fat, moderate protein, and low carb.

At the end of the day if you feel good and your body reacts well to what you are doing then by all means keep on doing it. If you want to see the research from the perspective that I am talking about I would say google and read up on some of the work that Dr.Rhonda Patrick is doing. She emphasizes the importance of fats while also emphasizing the importance of the healthy things you get from vegetables. She has in my opinion a very current and balanced outlook on things.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #28: January 21, 2018, 09:23:33 AM »
MMA, I understand what you're saying. Not to sound too full of myself, but I feel like I'm a bit more educated than a typical vegan who's doing it because it may be "trendy". Technically foods like Oreos are considered vegan and i wouldn't touch those. I have a lot of different oils in my diet (coconut, avocado, olive, nuts/seeds) and foods fortified in b12 (almond/pea milk, nutritional yeast). I also eat a lot of leafy greens and sprouted grains for iron. I know it's non-heme iron, but still. 

I think it could be said that many people who consume mostly meat based products are deficient in far more vitamins and minerals than a vegan. However, I think I will eventually add in some eggs down the road for dietary cholesterol, animal sourced b12, and complete source of protein. Who knows, maybe even end up reverting to my old lifestyle of organic, free range meats. Just wanted to give this lifestyle a chance and see if I felt better or worse. Kind of an experiment, if you will.

Weighed in at 205.4, which is a four pound loss since the first of the year. Ran nine miles this week, bringing my total to 21+ in the month. Haven't really been going to the gym. Every time I have gone, it's been so crowded it kind of just ruins my mood as soon as I step in. Hopefully the crowd starts dying out soon.

Admin_
Rep: +4,815
Administrator
« Reply #29: January 22, 2018, 06:40:26 PM »
Hopefully the crowd starts dying out soon.

Start telling everyone that it's February and about time to give up their new years resolutions.
- Tommy

Copyright © 2019 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved!