Forum

Going vegan to start 2018

Read 13993 times

JayT
Rep: +2,775
Trust: 100%
Locker Roommates
Going vegan to start 2018 « : December 31, 2017, 05:54:11 PM »
What's up guys? I have been thinking of going vegan for a few months now and I figure starting in 2018 is the perfect time to do it (albeit cliche).  Over the past couple years i have considerably cut down on my meat consumption from my younger years as well as a lot of dairy products.  I have been eating pasture raised chicken, cage free eggs, and wild caught fish a few times a week and grass fed red meat maybe a couple times a month during this time period.  I have not eaten pork in a long time.  I stopped drinking milk for over a year and reduced the amount of cheeses I ate.  I obviously still have done whey protein as per my reviews, but I want to stop with whey as well.  I have done this in the past and want to further this for three reasons: 

1: I am extremely against animal cruelty.  I think it is sick the way animals are treated and basically bred to be slaughtered and fed to the masses.  I find it funny in a way that many Americans are angered when they see videos of dogs or cats being eaten in Asian countries, yet could not care less about chickens, pigs, or cows being mistreated and eaten.  Why is a dog or cat's life more valuable than another animal's?  2: I feel that humans do not need to eat meat to sustain life and am starting to believe that it is even detrimental to our health in the long run.  In my opinion dairy is really gross if you think about it; cow's milk contains pus and hormones and it is meant to fatten calves quickly.  Cheese is basically mold.  3.  Farmed animals are probably one of the worst things for our environment.  Cows are worse than cars emitting greenhouse gasses and they require so much water to be raised.  Additionally, they pollute nearby areas and the water supply.  Farmed raise fish pollute water as well.  Many people want to see a change with global warming, so here is how you can start to make a difference.  Two documentaries that really opened my eyes were Forks Over Knives and What the Health.  I highly recommend watching both if you have Netflix.

Now I am not sure how long that this will last, but I want to aim for at least a month as a strict vegan.  I probably will incorporate eggs and some fish back into my diet eventually because I know this lifestyle is hard to follow in the long run, but I want to at least make an attempt to impact our earth.  Call me a hippie all you want, but I am going to "put my money where my mouth is". 

In addition to starting the year vegan, I want to be healthier in general.  I want to lose weight over the course of the next few months heading into the summer and really improve my cardio.  My goal for January is to run 31 miles which is an average of a mile a day.  I want to cut out all caffeine/stims during the next month.  I can't remember the last time I took a stim break, so it is long overdue. I stated in one of my reviews recently that I wanted to stop lifting for strength, but I realized that just is not me.  I know I will never be a huge powerlifter and that my numbers are not impressive in the slightest, but it is fun going into the gym with a plan and goal in mind.  I may do something like the MadCow 5x5 program again.  I saw great strength gains last year from it and it was extremely easy to follow.  I want to cut out anything artificial from my diet, including supplements that contain them.  I also will not be eating anything with soy/tofu in it.  Many vegans get protein from tofu, but I think tofu is gross and I do not think soy should be eaten in general. 

So I think that's it for now.  Tomorrow I will be posting my starting weight and supplements I plan on taking and may include starting pictures as well.  I plan on logging some workouts, meals, and just chatting in general with whoever wants to join along.  If you have any questions/comments, please go ahead.  Also up for any civilized debate if that's your thing as well.  Hoping everyone has a safe night. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 06:02:30 PM by JayT »

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

Wis3guy
Rep: +3,051
Locker Roommates
« Reply #1: January 01, 2018, 01:12:16 AM »
Happy new year and good luck with your goals hippie😉.  Check out the Netflix documentary on sugar as well, it's kind of interesting.

onder18
Rep: +1,020
« Reply #2: January 01, 2018, 05:17:31 PM »
Good luck bro and more power to you for trying something different. Set your mind to it and you can do it.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #3: January 02, 2018, 06:21:36 PM »
Alright, well thanks to you two for joining in. 

First day was kind of rough for me.  I got about 4.5 hours of sleep, worked, and it was freezing out.  The whole north east is getting hit with a massive cold front and I absolutely hate the cold.  On top of that, I weighed in at 209.4, which is much heavier than what I thought I would be at.  I thought I would be closer to 200 at this point.  But yeah, I really felt the impact of not using caffeine yesterday.  I guess it wasn't the smartest idea to not even wean myself off of caffeine, but I really need the stim break.  After work, I went to the gym and had an awful workout.  It was packed, I was sluggish, and overall felt off.  I think I did four sets of squats before realizing I was wasting my time in there.  I went to bed super early to try and catch up on sleep.

Today I felt much better.  I went to the gym in the morning and did a push routine.  Strength all over has been down ever since I graduated the academy in June.  I have been in the gym since then, but I have just been maintaining what I have for the most part and have not really been increasing anything.  I also ran three miles outside today, so 28 miles to go by the end of the month. 

For supplements, I will be taking Naked Pea Protein post workout and I have another plant based protein by Garden of Life that I have been saving from Black Friday that I will be using occasionally.  I have NutraBio's Natural BCAA 5000 that I will be taking intra-workout/throughout the day.  I also have some CarnoSyn beta-alanine that I will be taking pre-workout.  As you can see, I am going really lightly with supplementation.  I feel like I have become too dependent on supplements recently and want to see if I can still get good results without them. 

ExAdmin
Rep: +4,815
Administrator
« Reply #4: January 02, 2018, 07:33:38 PM »
I played around with the vegan idea a bit over the summer but just found it too difficult.  I've greatly reduced my meat consumption as a result but couldn't quite make the pure vegan status.  Best of luck to you though, you seem more dedicated to it than I was.
- Tommy

Clipper83
Rep: +4,419
Locker Roommates
« Reply #5: January 02, 2018, 09:07:06 PM »
Raw Protein from GoL?
If you can't explain it using simple words, you don't understand it well enough.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #6: January 03, 2018, 02:11:17 AM »
I played around with the vegan idea a bit over the summer but just found it too difficult.  I've greatly reduced my meat consumption as a result but couldn't quite make the pure vegan status.  Best of luck to you though, you seem more dedicated to it than I was.

I think it is a pretty tough lifestyle to keep over the long run, especially if you have more of a social life, but even replacing a few meals a week with vegan options is better than nothing. 

Raw Protein from GoL?

It's called organic plant-based protein sport by GoL. I also just finished their grass fed whey last week that I'll do a review on.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #7: January 08, 2018, 04:33:00 AM »
Weighed in at 207.4 which is a 2 pound loss. Only able to run 4 miles last week due to a bad snowstorm we got. I hate treadmills so I plan to only do my running outside. Think we're supposed to get weather in the 50s this week, so I should be able to make up some miles then.  Not having caffeine sucks to be honest, especially when I'm trying to workout at 5 in the morning on some days. Other than that, I'm feeling great.

Oh, I took a couple beginning pics last week, but the size is too large to upload onto here and I've been too lazy to try and find a way to resize them. I've been eating about 2600 calories a day and I think I'm already starting to look a lot leaner.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:36:13 AM by JayT »

DaSlaya
Rep: +2,893
Locker Roommates
« Reply #8: January 08, 2018, 06:16:11 AM »
Easiest way to resize a picture is to put picture on power point, then save power point slide as a JPG.  Saves significantly smaller, I have to do this for our storyboards at work all the time.
-Chris

Wis3guy
Rep: +3,051
Locker Roommates
« Reply #9: January 08, 2018, 06:33:22 AM »
Nice start to the year.  From experience I will tell you the no caffeine thing does get easier.  However I've also figured out that sometimes it's more habit than need.

ExAdmin
Rep: +4,815
Administrator
« Reply #10: January 08, 2018, 07:10:41 AM »
I've been trying to throttle back the caffeine as well.  The first week is absolutely terrible but then it gets easier after that.  Also, you'll notice that if you do have a cup of coffee, you're way more jazzed than before.

As far as pic uploading, you can try to resize.  Camera phones these days take pictures that are like 8,000 pixels wide, but only have screens that are like 400 pixels wide. 
- Tommy

MMAFreak
Rep: +2,469
« Reply #11: January 08, 2018, 11:16:04 AM »
Only thing I will say in regards to the documentaries you cited is that they are incredibly biased and have been criticized for their omission of information by many people in the medical field. I agree that factory farming is horrendous. Have you considered with your reduced consumption just finding a farm that does grass fed beef and buying a quarter or half steer? That is what we do and the quality of the meat is insanely better. Plus you get the benefit of being able to see the conditions the animals live in at the farm providing the cattle. For eggs we have a friend with a farm that we get most of our eggs from and we buy cage free organic to fill in the gaps. This year I'm building a chicken coop so we can have our own pet chickens to eliminate the need for the small amount of eggs we buy at the store. 

I fully understand if you are going vegan because you don't want animals killed whether they're humanely raised or not. So don't think I'm trying to push my morals on you. I just have the same issue with the cruelty of factory farming and just wanted to throw out some of the ways that I have continued to eat meat without supporting factory farming. With all the recent studies being published on the benefits of saturated fat and cholesterol and how horrible sugar is for you I decided to go with a super low sugar diet that includes lots of plant and animal fats.

Hope the transition goes well for you man. Good luck!
Nobody cares. Work harder.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #12: January 08, 2018, 11:43:03 AM »
MMAFreak, I'll agree that the documentaries are definitely biased, but it helps show how poorly these animals are raised and we are then consuming those same animals. I have not personally been to a farm where I see the animals raised due to the fact that I'm in northern NJ and there are not too many farms nearby, but I have bought grass fed sourced red meat and pasture raised chickens over the past few years.

Like I mentioned, I don't know if I would be able to keep up this type of lifestyle, but I at least wanted to try it out. I may eventually gravitate more towards an ovo-pescatarian, but the days of me eating five pieces a chicken a day to hit 200 g of protein are long gone.

I like to look at Asian cultures where they eat a lot of rice and vegetables and they're all so small and skinny. Then you look at cultures like Americans who love meats and processed foods and the majority of us are overweight. Figured carbs can't be as bad as many people claim they are.

And thanks for the suggestions. That's kind of what I was hoping this thread would turn out to be.. a type of educational debate where we could all throw around different ideas and opinions.

Clipper83
Rep: +4,419
Locker Roommates
« Reply #13: January 08, 2018, 12:03:57 PM »
I think Asians tend to be skinnier due to their culture, at least when it comes to Japan. Fat people are ridiculed there quite heavily lol. Also, they have been eating that kind of food for generations and I'm sure their dna adapted to it over time. Western Europeans had a bit more meat in their diets, at least for some.

Eating a ridiculous amount of meat from factory farms is pretty bad though. I'm no animal lover, but knowing that my chicken was raised in a cage and my cows were artificially grown with hormones and antibiotics in gross conditions is not something I support.
If you can't explain it using simple words, you don't understand it well enough.

JayT
Locker Roommates
« Reply #14: January 08, 2018, 02:08:05 PM »
Yeah Clipper that could be as well. Big companies like Tyson and Purdue have their chickens crammed together and they all just walk over each other, live with dead animals, and just crap all over each other. Gross to think about.

At any rate, figured eating a lot more fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds couldn't hurt.

Copyright © 2018 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.