Forum

Auto save!

Read 484 times

mhseaver670
Rep: +5,973
Trust: 100%
Locker Roommates
Auto save! « : September 05, 2017, 07:42:29 PM »
Man I hate my computer first off.  next let me explain why. This has happened about four times now. I sit down write a awesome long winded review and click submit and then my computer has lost Internet connection.  Omg I have lost too many reviews like this.  Now I know we have a save as draft button but if you lose connection the same result will ensue. 
Anyway we could have a auto save on the site. Like maybe every 50 to 100 words it auto saves?

Dang this would be so wonderful. 
Maybe you should TRAIN as hard as you HATE.

"Getting stuck isn't always an option but staying stuck is!" - Cam

DaSlaya
Rep: +885
Locker Roommates
« Reply #1: September 06, 2017, 06:33:17 AM »
When I first joined the site, the debacle of the server database getting rolled back happened and I lost a whole review in the beginning. Since then I typically write my reviews in Notepad or Word, then copy and paste to the site when I am done.  Once the review is posted for a day or two, then I delete my copy.  This is my work around to keep my sanity!!  Maybe a good fix until an auto save occurs?  Or time to get a new computer or Internet Provider  :)
-Chris

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

mhseaver670
Locker Roommates
« Reply #2: September 06, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »
Yea I have done this too but this AWESOME WINDOWS ten ( insert eye roll)  when I do that stuff is all jumbled up or moved around,  happens everytime

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

DaSlaya
Rep: +885
Locker Roommates
« Reply #3: September 06, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
Yeah I hear ya, I just stick with notepad personally...copy and paste by section!  Yeah windows 10... leaves a lot to be desired!
-Chris

Wis3guy
Rep: +1,841
Locker Roommates
« Reply #4: September 06, 2017, 10:32:48 AM »
That's it infidels......... Mr. Gates will be visiting with both of you shortly........😉😎
That being said an auto save would be cool........

admin
Rep: +4,468
Administrator
« Reply #5: September 06, 2017, 05:17:57 PM »
The auto-save is a good idea.  Might be a lot of work to implement but I'll look into it tomorrow.
- Tommy

mhseaver670
Locker Roommates
« Reply #6: September 06, 2017, 07:05:31 PM »
The auto-save is a good idea.  Might be a lot of work to implement but I'll look into it tomorrow.

You are the man.

admin
Rep: +4,468
Administrator
« Reply #7: September 07, 2017, 10:02:45 AM »
You are the man.

So I spent some time researching how I would go about doing it, and it turns out that it's even more complicated than I thought.  To begin with, fundamentally, I'd have to change how drafts are saved, since when you first start typing up a draft, it doesn't even exist in the database until you click the "save as draft" button.

Second, and most importantly, is the question of whether we want an auto-save feature that automatically saves your draft every time you stop typing for a few seconds, or if we just want a button at the top of the text box that saves your draft to the DB without having to refresh the page.  The problem with auto-save is that some people aren't used to it - what happens if you make a bunch of revisions to your draft, and then decide that you don't want to save those changes so you just close the window?  Or what if you accidentally delete a big chunk of your review and then close the window thinking it won't save?

Those questions spark further questions, such as:
 - Maybe we have an "AutoSave On/Off" toggle button in addition to a physical button you can press to save the draft without refreshing the page.  That would probably be best.
 - Maybe we should add a confirmation if you go to close the window and you haven't saved.
 - We should also be saving a "revision history", so in case there's an error, you can go back and find the last good copy of your review.  We should save this revision history somewhere off the main server just in case there's any data loss again.
 - What about Retailer Reviews?  That's a completely separate code and I haven't been keeping it updated as I have with the product reviews.  It would make more sense for me to combine the two sets of code so that it's easier to update both at the same time in the future.

Anyway, I'm not trying to poo-poo your idea of the auto-save.  I think it's a crucial feature on the site and definitely want to improve the whole "submit a review" process since that's really the most important part of the site.  I just need to hash out all these details before I start tearing into things.

Since I never write reviews myself, I'd like to get some feedback on how to improve the Submit Review process from those who are constantly using it!
- Tommy

Copyright © 2017 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.