Forum

Starting Strength to 5/3/1 beginner

Read 229 times

Tlifter
Rep: +11
Trust: 20%
Locker Roommates
Starting Strength to 5/3/1 beginner « : August 17, 2017, 09:51:14 PM »
I am pretty sure I will get some heat for this, but after 5 weeks on Starting Strength, I have decided to switch to 5/3/1 for beginners. My guess is many people will say that I haven't used up my novice gains yet and I admit that is somewhat true and other people will say that you haven't really tried out a program if he haven't run it for at least 6 months. That is also a valid point, but this is my experience and I would like some feedback on accessories and if anyone has any thoughts about any of this, I would like to read them.
When I started Starting Strength, I had not lifted in roughly a year because my job had me working so many hours a week I was only getting 3 hours of sleep most nights. Prior to that my lifts were decent. In the one meet I participated in at a bodyweight of 196lbs, I squatted 331, benched 209, and deadlifted 352. Prior to that I ran 5/3/1 for 2 years. After the meet, I switched to another program which had me benching 4x/week to help my bench press.
My point is, I am not walking into this blindly. I started Starting Strength with my squat 85 3x5, deadlift 115 1x5, bench press 65 3x5, and overhead press 55 3x5. I purposely started too light so I can focus on form. Now, I squatted 205 3x5, deadlifted 245 1x5, bench pressed 95 3x5, and overhead pressed 80lbs failing twice and feeling really beat up for a couple days after my workouts. I have noticed that the fast increases are nice but sometimes the speed at which you get stronger on Starting Strength (at least for me) makes it hard to reinforce proper form. My form has been slipping on some of my lifts. One of my favorite parts of 5/3/1 when I ran it was that you consistently lift too light, but its not too light after wave 5 or so. Lifting too light really helped me maintain and reinforce proper form. When I started 5/3/1 back in 2014, all my lifts were actually weaker than they are now except for the bench press. That is why I am going to keep following Starting Strength for the bench press (adding 5lbs/bench press session and 3x5). Since I started so light on the bench press, I feel that I can still make good linear progression while also improving form. I will switch the bench press to 5/3/1 once I feel I cannot keep the bar paused on my chest for a 1 count and feel forced to do touch and goes. The other lifts are getting heavy enough that I get the reps in, but then form slips a little to a lot whether it is the next set or the next workout. I am okay seeing slower gains knowing that my form will be solid because if you have proper form then you will have a longer lifting career. The most recent numbers I did was 205 3x5 squat where some of the reps were only to parallel or slightly above it, bench press 95 3x5, which is why I will continue bench pressing following linear progression, deadlift 245 1x5, and OHP 80lbs but failing all 3 sets of 5 for two workouts. The squat is my favorite lift and historically my best lift so if my squat is struggling then I know it is time to take a step back and think about what is going wrong, what can I improve on, and what have I done in the past, which worked for me? So this is the routine. I tried to limit the accessories to the most useful and efficient for me. I was going to put back raises and RDLs somewhere, but I decided that squatting 2x/week and deadlifting 1x/week is good enough for now.

Monday
Squat 5/3/1
Bench Press Starting Strength
1-Arm DB Bench Press
Bent-over barbell row
Light conditioning

Wednesday
Deadlift 5/3/1
OHP 5/3/1
1-Arm DB OHP
Lat Pull-downs
Planks

Friday
Bench Press Starting Strength
Squat 3x5 with percentages from 5/3/1 for beginners
Hanging Knee Raises
Pushing a prowler or doing trap bar farmer's walks for awhile
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:54:08 PM by Tlifter »

Copyright © 2017 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.