Forum

How do I find a "gym buddy"?

Read 371 times

Tlifter
Rep: +11
Trust: 20%
Locker Roommates
How do I find a "gym buddy"? « : August 13, 2017, 02:51:02 AM »
I have always been bad at finding "gym buddies." Are there any tips anyone can give me? An additional challenge is that I just moved really close to Barbell Brigade and since my goals are powerlifting, of course I joined that. The good, not all but most people who workout there know powerlifting competition rules so they can identify stuff such as if I'm hitting depth on the squat, pausing enough on the bench press, and anything that might be wrong with my deadlift. I think for the most part, my form on the lifts are solid except I need to learn the power clean. Its also nice consistently knowing you have a spotter and someone to get stronger with you and someone to be friends with who has the same fitness interests as you. A somewhat unique problem I have is that I am probably one of the weakest at the gym because I took a year off for a job, which gave me no time to workout so I bet almost no one or no one is running Starting Strength. I know it is usually a good idea to train with someone stronger than you, but I am still working on my linear progression gains so any program most people are doing at the gym is probably too advanced for me at the moment. My numbers at the moment are 205x5 on the squat, 245x5 on the deadlift, 95x5 on the bench press, and 75x5 on the overhead press. For the bench press and overhead press, I started too light because those are my 2 hardest lifts so I really wanted to focus on form. I'm going to start power cleans probably next week and I have been running the program for 5 weeks. I don't have any friends who would like to lift. Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:59:33 AM by Tlifter »

Wis3guy
Rep: +1,841
Trust: 100%
Locker Roommates
« Reply #1: August 13, 2017, 04:59:48 AM »
Honestly it's about finding someone with a similar attitude.  One that doesn't mind switching weights and your fine.  My last lifting partner sought me out, we lifted together for 5 years. He wanted power and strength, started out weaker than me. When we stopped lifting together due to schedules he was benching 425+ my max was 232.5.  He squated 500+ I never went much over 225.  It was more about how we pushed each other to our own goals. 

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

Tlifter
Rep: +11
Trust: 20%
Locker Roommates
« Reply #2: August 13, 2017, 12:23:02 PM »
Thanks
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:27:49 PM by Tlifter »

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

Copyright © 2017 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.