Submit a review

How-to Guides and Articles

Forum

Preventing Muscle Decay During Injury / Illness

Read 535 times

bte2
Rep: +61
Trust: 61%
Preventing Muscle Decay During Injury / Illness « : April 19, 2017, 09:08:53 PM »
Hey guys so I just recently recovered from a shoulder injury that prevented me from doing upper body exercises for 8 weeks. Of course when I got the news a huge concern of mine was the gains I'd be losing during this time. Luckily for me, my Nutrition professor happens to be the dietician for the Texans and was able to give me a bit of advice that I thought I'd pass on to the community.

The first thing that she recommended to me was an HMB supplement. β-Hydroxy β-methylbutyric acid, also known as β-hydroxy β-methylbutyrate, is naturally produced in the body and is essential for muscle repair. When supplemented, its proven to accelerate protein synthesis and slow down the process of muscle breakdown. Now there are numerous HMB products out on the market and when I asked if there was a difference in quality among them, she assured me that the quality of HMB does vary. Her #1 recommendation was Juven, a blend of HMB, L-Arginine and L-Glutamine. She said it has worked wonders for athletes of the program in the past - only drawback is the price. Considering the recommended dosage of HMB is 3g/day for recovering athletes, two packets of Juven/day is recommended. With the price of the product, I was looking for a way to circumvent the cost in a way that was just as effective.

What I ended up doing was purchasing an HMB supplement from GNC, and purchasing the two amino acids separately. Purchasing the ingredients saved me a ton of money and I'd say I was thoroughly impressed with the results. I took 3g HMB and 14g total of each amino acid daily. Obviously I wouldn't say that I retained 100% of my muscle mass after the 8 weeks, but I can say I held onto more than I had initially anticipated. Only real downside to the process was the taste of the amino acids, they were pretty bitter. I found it most effective to throw them in with a protein shake or smoothie to mask the bitterness.

Also important to note if your injury is bone related as mine was: for bone healing its important that you get enough calcium calcium, vitamin D, and vitamin K.

Would strongly recommend this for anyone needing to take an extended amount of time off from lifting who is concerned about losing muscle. Hope you found this helpful!

bzyczek
Rep: +319
Trust: 100%
« Reply #1: April 20, 2017, 06:44:57 AM »
Thank you ... I'm strug ling with a tennis elbow ... I will try what you have recommended myself ... How much L-Arginine did she recommend?

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

bte2
« Reply #2: April 20, 2017, 06:58:53 AM »
12-15g per day is recommended. Doesn't need to all be taken at once, you can split that up throughout the day. BulkSupplements sells it in a variety of quantities depending on how much you need/how long you'll be out for. Best of luck to you, hoping for a speedy recovery!

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

bzyczek
Rep: +319
« Reply #3: April 20, 2017, 06:31:54 PM »
That is a lot of L-Arginine ... Dang ... I just took 6g for the night ... I'll take another 6 g in the morning ...

MarsheS
Rep: +582
« Reply #4: April 20, 2017, 08:54:55 PM »
(...)What I ended up doing was purchasing an HMB supplement from GNC(...)
I stopped reading right here... Hahahaha just kidding but if you wanted cheaper options, why you went to GNC? xD!

Btw, which HMB product did you get??

bte2
« Reply #5: April 21, 2017, 03:39:47 PM »
Realize now that probably wasn't the best idea lol I was in a desperate place for something fast and their price for HMB isn't as ridiculous as some of their other prices. Believe it or not, still comes out far cheaper than Juven. Now that stuff is expensive. I got the GNC brand Calcium Hydroxymethly Butyrate Monohydrate with Monopotassium Phosphate. 1000mg HMB/pill and theres 240 pills. I got it for $30 but think I had a discount.

bte2
« Reply #6: April 21, 2017, 03:51:27 PM »
That is a lot of L-Arginine ... Dang ... I just took 6g for the night ... I'll take another 6 g in the morning ...

Yeah, the Arginine is far worse than the Glutamine in my opinion lol

Copyright © 2017 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.