Sign In

Remember Me

Submit a review

How-to Guides and Articles

Forum

Starting a strength cycle, should i sprint ?

Read 2463 times

Kamikazi
Rep: +18
Trust: 29%
Starting a strength cycle, should i sprint ? « : August 28, 2014, 09:02:29 PM »
Hi guys, i'm starting a strength cycle for 10 weeks starting this Monday, and i wanted to know whether to incorporate sprints or not. if yes, how and when ? It's gonna be a 4 day split, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I know i'll have to eat at a caloric surplus so in order to minimise fat gains i'm thinking of adding sprints to the equation. Maybe 2x per week? (i'm at 10% BF, 170lb)

What do you guys think?

Thanks !

deumcole
Rep: +4,699
Trust: 100%
Locker Roommates
« Reply #1: August 28, 2014, 09:06:37 PM »
You could do your sprinting on your off days, if you want. At least that's how I would do it.
"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
- Thomas Jefferson

Violence, is forever.
Your silence, forced this war.

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

Kamikazi
Rep: +18
Trust: 29%
« Reply #2: August 28, 2014, 09:10:29 PM »
can you give me an example of what kind of sprint work to do? thanks !

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

deumcole
Rep: +4,699
Locker Roommates
« Reply #3: August 28, 2014, 09:32:03 PM »
Just...run. Go to a park, find somewhere relatively flat, mark off a distance that's challenging but not impossible, & run sprints.

You could also run hills, where you sprint up the hill then jog back down.
"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
- Thomas Jefferson

Violence, is forever.
Your silence, forced this war.

brenth6112
Rep: +1,329
Locker Roommates
« Reply #4: August 28, 2014, 09:37:31 PM »
Yeah don't complicate it too much man. Sprint until you start to slow down and then repeat how ever long that might take. You want to be able to get as many reps at top speed as you can. To gain the most strength you will want to stay in the ATP pathway. So that means short sprints of about 30-40 yards for reps with enough rest time to regain full strength. You will want to wait a few minutes in between reps.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:27:21 PM by brenth6112 »
CFT by ISSA
USPA 181 Powerlifter
Squat-475(gym) 462(meet)
Bench-325(gym) 302.5(meet)
Deadlift-525(gym) 500.5(meet)
Total-1325(gym) 1265(meet)

Mattmac1017
Rep: +340
Locker Roommates
« Reply #5: August 29, 2014, 05:45:26 AM »
I would say it's ALWAYS a good idea to do some form of cardio whether it's riding a bike, prowler sprints, or regular sprints like you're talking about.  But I would say the point is for general health purposes.  Eating at a surplus to gain strength and then running off all that surplus isn't going to work as easy as "Oh I'll build all the lean muscle I need and then burn off the fat running".  If you want to run a strength cycle, by definition you are going to put aesthetics on hold or at least priority #2 for a while.  So eat big, sleep long, and don't worry about the mirror for the next 10 weeks.  Now, that doesn't mean pizza for lunch everyday and oreos for dessert, but you get the point. 

It comes down to if you're worried about strength 100%, don't look in the mirror.  If you're worried about the mirror 100%, don't worry about strength.  I'm sure you aren't 100% either direction but make sure you understand that achieving one goal will likely mean decreasing your progress in the other area.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:48:31 AM by Mattmac1017 »
Check out my YouTube channel for workout videos!

(youtube.com) /channel/UCeffhVHnsBhW5OiOZPFG9dA

eddiev2
Rep: +248
Locker Roommates
« Reply #6: August 29, 2014, 08:15:09 AM »
Yup. What everyone else said; just push yourself in the sprints. Run as fast and as hard as you can, walk for a couple of minutes, and go all out for as long as you can. Keep repeating this until you're just spent.

Oh, and don't jog, sprint.

bosox516
Rep: +1,863
Locker Roommates
« Reply #7: August 29, 2014, 10:47:29 AM »
I agree with Mattmac1017 that if your primary goal is to gain strength, you will achieve it most effectively if you don't scrutinize a bit of fat gain too much. Especially at 10% BF and 170, I would wager you'll have a hard time gaining with too much cardio.

That being said, sprints can be a great way to build power and explosiveness for a number of key strength movements, two of the biggest being squat and deadlift. They can also aid in mobility and flexibility, depending on the length of your stride, and whether or not you do them on an incline or steps or something. You want the sprints to be as short and intense as possible, like brent said, treating them as reps instead of an extended cardio session.

They can certainly be useful in gaining strength, as long as you are careful with where you place them and how you do them. For instance, you don't want sprinting to detract from your major lifts. I would not do them on a day I squat or deadlift. You may want to do them on staggered off days, or perhaps on a day you do accessory lifts, like arm work or something.

And just as a side note, I think 10 weeks may be too short to see substantial strength gains. Bulking up, especially with minimal body fat gain, is one of the hardest and most tedious aspects of fitness. I'm not trying to discourage you or anything, just something to think about.

RichMyers
Rep: +2,281
Locker Roommates
« Reply #8: August 29, 2014, 12:01:24 PM »
Just be certain that when you sprint, that you are very careful, especially with residual soreness.

Warmup thoroughly, stretch well, and take your first few sprints, at less than a max effort.

If you are sore, and not completely warmed up, that is when muscle pulls/ tears happen.
Most problems in lifting can be solved by either pulling harder, or pushing harder.

andrew17019
Rep: +316
Locker Roommates
« Reply #9: September 05, 2014, 02:42:59 AM »
I incorporate a heart rate monitor into my sprints, which is an easy way to look at total output versus sustained heart rate at a long period of time (where you start to break down muscle).  As long as you set a good baseline for yourself and know your recovery heart rates and 90% max heart rate it helps you know when to amp it up and when to pull the reigns back on your sprints.

BELDTScott
Rep: 0
Trust: 0%
« Reply #10: August 02, 2016, 07:53:23 PM »
Hi Kamikazi. There has been a lot of great input from everyone on here. When you are just looking at a 10 week period, I think it would be most wise to focus on your biggest goal at hand. While doing a strength cycle your extra calorie intake will be going towards building muscle and fueling your workouts. Sprinting 2x a week wont do much to hinder your goals of increasing strength, so if you decide to go ahead with the sprints don't stress about it. What have you personally experienced good results with in a similar circumstance?

dyer24
Rep: +2
Trust: 0%
« Reply #11: March 13, 2017, 10:50:46 AM »
In my mind, sprinting is key to health, strength, and physique. It's been shown long bouts of cardio don't do much to enhance anything from strength to fat burning (unless you're a bodybuilder in your prep phase) sprinting either on your days off OR post lift will allow you to build strength, powder, ENDURANCE (keep your rest time short) and burn a TON of fat. 

Copyright © 2017 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.