Brent's Log of Barbell Battery

Read 240462 times

« Reply #15: November 12, 2013, 11:45:29 AM »
Pretty good pull, try to get a little more leg drive at the start.

In the ideal situation, your legs and back lock out simultaneously.

Don't drop the bar, or it's no lift.
Most problems in lifting can be solved by either pulling harder, or pushing harder.

« Reply #16: November 12, 2013, 12:47:11 PM »
Thanks Rich. Okay so I have a question. Ive been given advice to start with my hips higher to prevent my hips from shooting up and my back rounding. How can I use more leg drive while starting with my hips higher? Thanks!!

« Reply #17: November 13, 2013, 11:30:47 AM »

I wish that the video had started just a little sooner, so that I could see how you set up.

Remember to always squat to meet the bar, never bend at the waist.  If you bend at the waist to grab the bar, the whole lift is a mess before you have even started.

I also can't really get a good look at the shoes you have on, do they have a heel that is very high?

Wrestling shoes are your best bet for DL, they keep you on your heels, if your weight shifts to the balls of your feet, the lift is basically over.

I think your hip position is fine, but what would really help to build your leg explosion and drive, is pause squats on a box.

Sit down on the box carefully and under control, box squats get a bad reputation, from people who are doing them improperly by crashing down on the box.

Sit down, pause, and explode, this will not only build your squats, but give you a DL explosion off of the floor that will amaze you.

« Reply #18: November 13, 2013, 12:23:53 PM »
Hey Rich here is a video of a 405 DL. Hopefully you can get a different POV but it is 60 lbs less than max. I take forever to set up but it should give you a better idea of my set up.

Shoes are Adidas AdiZero. Very light and minimum heel. I highly doubt this is the problem. Before that I wore Nike shox with an exaggerated high heel so that change was huge and I immediately noticed a difference. I suppose it would hurt to give wrestling shoes a try but I feel like my shoes are good.

Ill add the box squats and see how it works.

Let me know if that video helps man. Thanks!!

« Reply #19: November 13, 2013, 12:26:52 PM »
Wrestling shoes are very cheap this time of year, $30-35.

Your bottom position on the 405 is just fine.

Sumo stance hack deadlifts, and regular stance hack deadlifts, will both also help to even out your timing on lockout, so that your back and legs straighten at the same time.

« Reply #20: November 13, 2013, 12:51:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Excited to try some new lifts!! Love taking things to a new level. Bring it on.

« Reply #21: November 13, 2013, 10:30:34 PM »
Nov.12- Rest

And thats exactly what I did. Nothing at all except for work of course. Same diet and supplement routine. May throw down a few actually.

Nov.13 Chest/Biceps

Feeling fresh today off the rest and ready to kill it in the man factory today with some high rep chest and biceps action with a 1RM bench attempt at the big 300. Do I have what it takes? Stay tuned for more.

Diet: Bfast-Woke up late and missed it :( Ended up with Nutrigrain bar and small pack of fruit snacks lol. The Wraath was in full effect today. Trying to make it a big day in the weight room.
         Lunch-Ham and cheese sandwich and banana
         Pre-2.5 scoops Volt(upped half scoop) and 5g mono

Bar x20
185x5
225x1
255x1
300 and a new PR?????? No. Fail. Didnt feel like I had control of the lift. It felt heavy and I managed to squeeze out a lil ROM but failed at the usual spot. Just not strong enough. Back to work.

Incline Bench 5x10-12

20x15x2
25x12

Reverse Straight Bar Curl 6x15
40lbs

Done!!! No joke right there. Had an edge too when I missed that 300 attempt at the beginning. Tons of painful volume and borderline questionable form at times but I was dragging. Not to say I didnt feel strong but just a lot of work.

The 2.5 scoops of Volt was money. Might have to keep it there. Pretty sick combo with Wraath.

Joeflah is hooking it up with some testogen and resurrect to log and review so oh boy. Things will get serious I guarantee you that. I cannot wait.

Thats it. Goodnight SR!!!

« Reply #22: November 14, 2013, 12:57:24 PM »
You can't go after a max lift with no food.

Where did you get stuck?

« Reply #23: November 14, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »
Yeah Rich man I had my mind set on it for the past few days. I felt good in the gym but probably just faking it.

I got it off my chest with good speed and didnt get pinned at the bottom. Its hard to explain but I would say I moved it about 12  inches where the triceps really come into play. Does that make sense?

« Reply #24: November 14, 2013, 01:35:50 PM »

Makes perfect sense, that's the area where most people get stuck.

Try some floor presses, remember to never slam your elbows into the floor.

Try board presses, you'll need a partner to hold the boards, and another to spot.

If you have access to a power rack, work 2 inches below the sticking point, right at the sticking point, and 2 inches above the sticking point, all 3 pin positions for 3 sets of 3.

Work these exercises after bench, one a week for 6 weeks, and after that, if you want more let me know.

« Reply #25: November 14, 2013, 01:37:32 PM »
Can't argue with that. Lets do it.

« Reply #26: November 14, 2013, 09:59:42 PM »
Nov.14-Quads

Yeah a little different here with only quads today. Lets see how this goes. I still get to do some squatting but after a few lifts so we will see how that goes. Lets go.

Diet:Bfast-Burrito, yogurt, coffee cake, milk
        Lunch-Mcdonalds :-\ Didnt over do it

Leg Extensions 4x10
75x10
105x10
165x10

Done. Put in some good work I was happy with my squats as it was way different than doing them fresh. It forced me to tighten up and rely more on my form. Great idea there that I think many people don't take advantage of this technique. This was quick and to the point and apparently covered more than just quads if you performed the lifts correctly. Im feeling it good already as Im writing this.

As forementioned, sensing a more serious case of DOMS I sought a Vitamin Shoppe for some recovery assistance. Knowing I had a 20% Coupon on my phone I snatched a tub of Bio Gro instantly with no second thoughts. Follow my journey with this new addition with iSatori and Bio Gro!!I I plan to stick to the label initially at 2 servings. One with added morning whey shake and post shake. Seems to mix perfect with protein. Just like a carb product very starchy. And I couldnt help but laugh when I reached in for the scoop and recalled reading that it was a pain. So funny.

Also, I wanted to recognize 360CUT AGAIN as today I check my mail and what do ya know a package from 360CUT. Open it up and sure enough samples of DREAMS,LEAN,SPORT, and TWO SERVINGS OF PRE!! Which is genious. I didnt even know they were coming. Thanks guys you shine again.

Enough yap, time for a nap. Deuces
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:14:41 PM by brenth6112 »

« Reply #27: November 16, 2013, 01:22:03 AM »
Nov.15- Hamstrings

Ok so honestly when was the last time anyone has hit legs two days in a row? I accomplished that today with some hamstrings andbcalves. My whole posterior is weak so I needed to take this serious even though it is gonna hurt. Lets go.

Bfast 2 scoops whey 1scoop BioGro Burrito yogurt apple coffee cake 2 0f 4 pills 360LEAN
Mid Morning 3rd of 4 LEAN pills

Seated Calf Raise 3x10
45x10
90x8
70x10

Done. So yeah this was painful. Really happy with the deads. Let the weight drift out a ill to put some tension on my hams and stood on a step platform  to increase ROM. Lower back feels strong. My hams started to cramp towards the end. Day off tomorrow so Ill get some good rest.

As you can see I ran the 360CUT samples today including the DREAMS which I took last night and it did its job to certain extent but it was just one sample. The LEAN provided some good energy and it was needed as work was just bad. The PRE was the best tasting pre ive ever had and the blue razz intra was solid as I didnt see any drop off from the Wraath and also tasted amazing. I honestly had a great day running these samples.

Watched a lot of Dave Tate tonight and learned so much about my power lifts. Im starting to feel it and understand it more now and I can't wait to get back after it. Goals are right around the corner. Trying to see how far I can take this.

Thats it for tonight we'll see you all next time.

« Reply #28: November 16, 2013, 10:19:50 PM »
Nov.16-Rest

Plan calls for rest but I want to put my newfound knowledge of power lifts to the test and see what I can figure out to improve and stop wasting my time. I learned a lot. Here is what I came up with.

Bench Press
Goods- Front Delt Strength, Pec Strength, Explosion from the hole
Bad- Shoulders not pulled back, unstable base, bad power transfer from legs to upper body, bad leg drive, bad overall stability and tightness, bad liftoff(pushing instead of pulling off the rack), bad wrist and elbow alignment, grip of bar too loose, bad bar path, triceps strength
What I did about it:
Went to a flat bench and put every thought out of my head. I remembered what I learned and set up as such. On the rack was only the bar and I was about to feel a pain like I have never experienced. So I lay down on the bench and put my feet up on the edge. I pushed up with my heels and drove my traps into the bench. Like dug in it took me about 10 seconds to get set. I pulled my shoulder blades together and locked in place. I then dropped my feet to where my heels touch, arching my back accordingly. I lock my core in place. I proceed to get my grip of the bar. I bury the bar deep in my hand and squeeze the hell out of the bar. I pull my shoulders back one more time and use my lats to pull the bar off the rack. I let the weight settle and pulled outward squeezing my shoulder blades at almost 100% force. I pull the bar down tp my sternum and check my elbows to make sure they are aligned with my back somewhat and I am also checking my wrist and elbow alignment and explode up. I do this:

Bar x3x2
95x3x2
135x3x2

Im hurting lol. I think I starting to understand how to be more efficient now and I can't wait to keep trying to add more weight.
That felt right. I decide to hit some abs.

Standing High Cable Rope Crunch- stand in a power position with butt out and torso bent. Tension on glutes and shoulder blades pulled back. While maintaining tightness and control i simultaneously bring my hips forward and up squeezing my glutes and pulling down on the rope to meet in the middle then return to the starting position under control.
70x20
90x15
120x10

Time to breakdown my deadlift.
Goods- starting position, lower back strength, flexibility, core stability, bar path, leg strength, grip strength.
Bads- Posterior strength and engagement, yanking the bar, leg drive
What I did about it- set up a bar with 25lb bumpers on each side. I approach the bar and set my feet up while standing straight up. I look up and take a deep breath then squat down and get my grip. I made a conscious effort to pull my shoulder blades back and lock them in place. That forced me to squat a little lower and increased the tension in my glutes and upper back. Lower back was relieved and core was able to tighten up. I start to slowly pull and focus on external rotation of the knees and squeezing my glutes and hamstrings. I continue to squeeze my shoulder blades back without shrugging the weight. Nice and tight.I lock out then slowly lower the weight. I repeat this 10 total reps with a little break in between. Very painful but I learned a lot.

So yeah very interesting day today. I didnt get a chance to squat. I spent more time on the other lifts and before i knew it the gym was closing lol. Got some good work it and I feel like Ive made leaps and bounds in terms of improving my power lift form and the mind muscle connection and where the tension needs to be and how to properly set up which can make or break a lift. Good stuff let me know what you think.

« Reply #29: November 17, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »
This focus on technique, will pay huge returns over the long term.

Sign up or Log in to post a reply.

Copyright © 2019 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved!