Sign In

Remember Me

Submit a review

How-to Guides and Articles

Forum

Ron's Log - Can GVT bring me a 405 bench?

Read 254003 times

ron
Rep: +5,360
Trust: 100%
Locker Roommates
Ron's Log - Can GVT bring me a 405 bench? « : January 08, 2013, 02:53:48 PM »
Myokem Pyroxamine Edition - PAGE 118

MuscleTech's Clear Muscle Program - PAGE 110

Purus Labs (Condense, Noxygen, AminoD) & EVLution Nutrition (CRE+ , RE-BLD) - PAGE 107

360CUT Stack (360Lean & 360Sport) - PAGE 96

BPS Transdermal Stack (Dermacrine, Formasurge, Endosurge Turbo) - PAGE 89

Beta Testing Lecheek's Amino Fusion - PAGE 75

Ron's Reach for Radical Reconstruction - Complete RCSS Resume to the Rescue - PAGE 54

An X-Factor Journey of Recovery Discovery starts on page 43

FINAFLEX SUPPLEMENT STACK STARTS ON PAGE 28

CARB BACK LOADING DATA STARTS ON PAGE 15

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As many of you know, I just recently finished Beta testing USPlabs latest and greatest patent pending anabolic Versa-1.  If you care to check it out click below:

http://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=22964.0

During that 30 day cycle I had achieved many personal records for strength and reps and while a 44 year old such as myself should probably be more careful, I caught the bug to really push myself and lift heavy weight for low reps.  Dare I say ď1 rep maxĒ?   PerhapsÖÖ  ::)

Last night I tried a new workout strategy for chest in which the first exercise I performed several warm up sets and only 3 working sets of flat barbell bench with 2 minutes of rest between all sets.  The goal of the program during working sets is to lift heavy enough to fail in the 4-6 rep range.  Having not lifted heavy flat bench for several months I really did not know what to start at, but my working sets performed were as follows:
250x10
270x7
280x5

I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised.  Anyways today I punched those numbers into the one rep max calculator and each set puts my 1RM in the 325-335 range.   Since it has been almost 25 years since I attempted and succeeded 300 on a flat bench, I am quite excited at the possibilities this new routine might expose.  Just the thought of putting 6 plates on the bar and benching 315 for reps is something I honestly thought Iíd never achieve.      8) 

So as I stated before, Iím attempting a new workout strategy.  It is one that I have never tried before and is based on Athletic Xtremeís Strength University and Muscle Book program advertised by banner link here on SR.  I would stick to AXís program as written but it is set up for people who have a gym membership and I donít have access to that equipment or a spotter necessary to safely lift in this manner.  Hence, the modificationÖ..

The basics of the program are as follows:

Train no more that 1-2 muscle groups per day.
Working sets will not exceed 4-6 reps.
Each workout will consist of only 6-9 working sets per muscle group
Rest between all sets is 2-5 minutes depending on your heart rate.
Work outs are not to exceed 45-60 minutes
Train each muscle group every 5-7 days
Take a complete week off every 8-10 weeks of training

Daily routine (copied from the AX Muscle Book program) is as follows:
ď
* FIRST SET (First warmup set)
 12 reps of 50% of your heavy set, and then rest for about 2 minutes.  For this first set, don't rush through this, but don't make it any longer than it needs to be.  It should feel light and easy.  If you did 300 lbs five times last week, start the warmup with 150 lbs.   

* SECOND SET
 Now do the same weight, but only do 10 at a quicker pace, then rest another 2 minutes. 

* THIRD SET
 Now do 4 reps with 70% of the heavy weight at a moderate pace.  At only 4 reps, this should also be light and easy.  You are now acclimating your muscles for the heavy weights that are coming.  Once again, rest for 2-minutes.  Note: (210lbs is 70% of the 300lb example) 

* FOURTH SET (Still a warm-up set)
 This is only 3 reps.  Use 80% of your heavy weight at a moderate pace then 2 minutes to rest.   

*FIFTH (and last warmup) SET
 Just 1 rep at 90%.  Your body further adapts to the heavy weight You are about to do.  So this is important too.  It will make your work sets better.  Now you rest 2-3 minutes (as much as is needed to be ready and fully recovered from the warm-ups to hit the WORK sets.

*SETS SIX, SEVEN, and EIGHT
 These are the work sets.  This is where you hit the 4-6 reps in an all out assault.  You have been learning what to do here.  Give them everything that you got.  The 5 sets leading up to here did nothing for muscle growth, they just got your body to the optimal state to make these count, so don't cheat.

NEXT EXERCISE
 Like I mentioned, your muscle group is fully warmed up and you can go right into the WORK sets of the next exercise in that muscle group.  If this workout day has another muscle group, you repeat the warm up sets for that muscle group. 
ď

So that is it in a nut shell.  I have not decided which supplements to run next, but Iím either considering another USPlabs cycle consisting of Versa-1, Test Powder, PowerFULL and Prime.  Another option is LeCheek Nutritionís Mass HGH and AD-3 as I have read a lot of good things about them, so who knows?  For my diet I would like to dramatically increase my clean food intake for a lean bulk until the weather starts to warm up here in the Vegas Valley.  Iíve been floating around the 210 pound mark for over a year now and would love to put on a clean 10 pounds of muscle in the next few months and with the right diet, workout plan and supplementation I believe I can achieve that.
As usual I will be tossing in weekly body composition analyzer results to track my progress along the way.  I invite all comments and criticisms and questions, so hats off to all that follow along this journey with me.  To all my SR brothers I say LET 2013 BE THE BEST YEAR EVER!!!
 ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 12:18:37 PM by ron »
The path of the righteous body builder is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the jealous and the tyranny of greedy supplement manufacturers. Blessed is he who, in the name of health and fitness, shepherds the weak through the valley of supplement darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper.

chefneilde
Rep: +1,585
Locker Roommates
« Reply #1: January 08, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
subbed
Kennedy put a man on the moon
Obama put men in the ladies room

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

iSamurai
Rep: +1,771
Locker Roommates
« Reply #2: January 08, 2013, 03:15:31 PM »
In here buddy 8)

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

FlashSunday
Rep: +3,547
Banned Doods
« Reply #3: January 08, 2013, 03:30:18 PM »
Me three!

cjm502
Rep: +155
Locker Roommates
« Reply #4: January 08, 2013, 03:56:10 PM »
Me four!
Got Stuff?

Frankiemusc
Rep: +3,380
Locker Roommates
« Reply #5: January 08, 2013, 04:51:40 PM »
Browsing
Be kind, rewind

SoCalLivin
Rep: +1,016
Locker Roommates
« Reply #6: January 08, 2013, 05:30:07 PM »
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." -Abraham Lincoln

Punch today in the face

God*Guns*Country*KCCO

Cryoburner
Rep: +1,054
Locker Roommates
« Reply #7: January 08, 2013, 07:24:53 PM »
Shut the front door!
NASM Certified Personal Trainer
ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

mhseaver670
Rep: +5,817
Locker Roommates
« Reply #8: January 09, 2013, 03:19:11 AM »
subbed
Maybe you should TRAIN as hard as you HATE.

"Getting stuck isn't always an option but staying stuck is!" - Cam

BrooklynBuff
Rep: +1,185
Locker Roommates
« Reply #9: January 09, 2013, 04:25:26 AM »
Ron"R"Test
Scooper expert with a P90 in the trunk..

Rebel29073
Rep: +551
Locker Roommates
« Reply #10: January 09, 2013, 07:59:50 AM »
Up in this one as well.

Also shout out to my old bud BB. Haven't seen you around here lately my friend. Must just be lurkin these days. Hope all is well.
A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Our health always seems much more valuable after we lose it.

BrooklynBuff
Rep: +1,185
Locker Roommates
« Reply #11: January 09, 2013, 09:59:56 AM »
Ha Ha^^^^^ what up big Reb!! I'm treasure trollin...Cruise control till summer ;)
Scooper expert with a P90 in the trunk..

Rebel29073
Rep: +551
Locker Roommates
« Reply #12: January 09, 2013, 12:39:01 PM »
Ha Ha^^^^^ what up big Reb!! I'm treasure trollin...Cruise control till summer ;)
Just glad to see you around here bud. Hope to see you participating on the regular soon. I see you picked what is likely one of the more quality logs here on the site (no disrespect intended to other users logs meant)

Sorry for the mini Hijack Ron . 
A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Our health always seems much more valuable after we lose it.

ron
Rep: +5,360
Locker Roommates
« Reply #13: January 09, 2013, 02:04:33 PM »
First off Iíd like to thank everyone that jumped on board so far.  Also to play a little ďBack to the FutureĒ, if you are reading this well after its starting date, donít be afraid to hop on now.  Better late than never.   ;) 

@Rebel, donít sweat the mini Hijack.  Itís all good in the brotherhood of SRÖ.  ;D

Body Composition Analyzer Day
Date         1/9/2013
Body Type      Athletic
Gender         Male
Age         44
Height         5í10Ē
Weight         212.6 lbs
BMI         30.5
Fat %         15.1 %   >:(
BMR         1989 Kcal
Impedance      389 Ohms
Fat Mass      32.0 lbs
Fat Free Mass      180.6 lbs
Total Body Water   132.2 lbs

So I got in on USPlabs Inner Circle deal so Iíve got 2 bottles of Versa-1 on the way.   Not sure Iíll start this immediately, but the deal was too good to pass up.  I donít think itís a secret how much I love USPlabs products, but I think Iíd really like to give someone else a try just to mix it up a bit. Right now Lecheek is the current leader at the moment.

Today I downloaded an app on my Android phone called MyFitnessPal Calorie Counter.  This program is pretty sweet.  I chose it because it was rated at 5 stars from over 270,000 users and itís a totally free download.  There is some initial setup of your physical stats and goals, but when you are finished with that, it tells you exactly how many calories to consume a day and in what macro-nutrient count.  So for myself, a 44 year old active male, 5í10Ē and 212 pounds wanting to reach 220 pounds at the rate of 1 pound per week, it says I should consume 3190 calories a day.  This sounds about right to me, however, itís suggested macro count breakdown is where I have a problem. 
 Fat 106g (30%)
Carbs 439g (55%)
Protein 120g (15%)

Uhhhhhhhh  NOÖ..

The standard 1Ĺ grams of protein per body weight puts my desired protein count at 318g (40%) so thatís what Im gonna do.  My fats I want at 20% and that calculates out to 71g.  This leaves 40% for carbs which is another 318g.   
Anyways, this is the one downfall I immediately noticed on this calorie counter.  If it let you define your food intake completely, it would be a flawless piece of software in my opinion.

Last nightís work out was a good one, but completing only 9 working sets leaves me feeling like I really need to do more.  However, I want to have faith in the program so I will continue at the suggested pace for now.
Deadlifts
315x8
330x8
345x8 PR
(Actually the most Iíve ever deadlifted was 365x2 and since Iím shooting for maxing out in the 4-6 rep range, Iím sure I will be hitting 365 and perhaps more next week.) 

Wide-grip Pulldowns
320x7
320x8
320x8 PR

Bent-over Barbell Rows on Smith Machine
225x8
245x7
265x6 
(reps were a little high here, but my form is much better so Iím gonna keep it here for now.)

Tonight is my off nite and I think I need it.  My chest and delts are pretty sore from Mondayís chest day.  I am really missing the DOMS killing recovery element of Versa-1.

So until then, thanks for followingÖÖ
The path of the righteous body builder is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the jealous and the tyranny of greedy supplement manufacturers. Blessed is he who, in the name of health and fitness, shepherds the weak through the valley of supplement darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper.

cjm502
Rep: +155
Locker Roommates
« Reply #14: January 09, 2013, 04:52:41 PM »
I love myfitnesspal, I use it to track my macros every once in a while just to make sure im on track and give me a good idea on what im consuming day to day. The calorie and marco recommendations it has are definitely off though, I wouldn't look much in to them, but for tracking food its the best.
Got Stuff?

Copyright © 2017 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.