Nearly EVERY NLA PERFORMANCE review is FAKE. 100's of FAKE profiles discovered.

Read 36591 times

Admin_
Posts: 4927
Administrator
After spending several hours analyzing the data further, it has been determined that MOST of the NLA Performance reviews (Supp-D and T-Blast) were posted by the same person who was using tricks to get around most of our automatic duplicate filters.

The Backstory
In January, 2012, NLA debuted as new supplement company with the products Supp-D and T-Blast.  We started receiving suspicious reviews from new members.  Just taking a deeper look at the reviews, I immediately discovered that they were written by the owners of the company, Justin Matoesian and Kevin Gundersen.  The original thread I posted is here. - It seemed they apologized and wanted to move on.

The reviews seemed to slow down a bit, however after a few months, they started coming in at full force again.  Over the next few months, T-Blast and Supp-D received a combined 300+ reviews.  Most of the reviews were from new members signing up just to post NLA reviews, and most of the reviews were 10/10 and sounded more like a sales pitch than an actual review.

I continued to look deeper at some of these reviews, and couldn't immediately find any connections.  Kevin and Justin stated that they include a letter with each order that urges their customers to sign up and post an honest review.  This seemed to explain the flood of one-hitter-quitter reviews.

Reviewer Trust and Noticing More Suspicious Behavior
A few weeks ago, I implemented the "Reviewer Trust" feature.  This immediately showed a VERY low trust score for Supp-D and T-Blast.  Kevin emailed me several times very upset about this.  He claimed that it made his company look fraudulent.  Over the next few days, we saw several accounts +rep HUNDREDS of NLA Reviews, effectively increasing the "Trust" scores marginally.  Read more on this story here.

I took a deeper look at some of the profiles used to create the NLA reviews and started noticing some very alarming trends.

Trends which Prove most NLA Performance Reviews are FAKE
Keep in mind that as the site administrator, I can see A LOT more information than anyone else.  I have access to information that you aren't even aware exists.  I compared the profiles of everyone who has reviewed NLA products (with the exception of users who signed up before 2012).  Here were my alarming results:
  • 117 of the last 124 members to sign up and post NLA reviews were from @yahoo.com addresses.
  • Out of those @yahoo.com addresses, most were clearly following the same pattern (random-word, random-word, number)
  • Over ~90% of the reviews were posted from a Sprint IP located somewhere in Southern California.  NLA is based in Southern California.  Sprint customers can be assigned a new IP easily by disconnecting and re-connecting their phone from the network.
  • Out of the suspicious profiles, there were 6 mentions of the "n-word" used for information that is not publicly visable.
  • 10 mentions of the word "Boosie" in information that is not publicly visable.
  • Dozens of the suspicious accounts shared an IP with member getswole9 who publicly admitted to being one of the founders of NLA.
  • The birthdays of most users seemed to be 2-12 or 2-21 or something similar involving only 1's and 2's.
  • There were SEVERAL instances where we'd see NLA reviewers sign up using the same birthday 3 or 4 times in a row.
  • One of the reviewers was found to be "Matt Matoesian" also from Chatsworth, CA (same place as Justin Matoesian is from) – Graduated high school in 1978, however only claimed to be 25 years old.  Maybe this is Matt's Dad?

NLA Performance found GUILTY in the Supreme Court of SupplementReviews.com
Since I am the only Judge in the Supreme Court of SR, my opinion becomes the majority decision.  The only NLA defense is that they are being "Sabotaged by a competitor".  This simply doesn't make any sense, and I believe NLA is guilty for the following reasons:
  • NLA had already been found creating fake reviews once before and admitted it.
  • NLA was proud of their reviews, and at one point had boasted about it on their Facebook page, stating their products as the highest rated on SR.  Evidence here.
  • Creating this many fake reviews, verifying unique email addresses all from from different IP's would take someone DOZENS of HOURS.
  • There is no known motive for a competitor to spend dozens of man-hours sabotaging only NLA.
  • Even if there was a motive, their method of sabotage put a lot of trust into us catching them.  They also would probably not try so hard to cover their trail.
  • There are many hidden links to NLA.  The shared IP NLA had with several of the fake accounts, the link to Justin's dad...
  • Kevin from NLA used a Sprint IP to sign up and defend NLA even after he had been banned.  This was the exact same tactic (using a Sprint IP) to create hundreds of fake accounts to post NLA reviews using different IPs
  • Kevin from NLA sent us several frustrated emails about the Reviewer Trust scores, and at the same time, we saw deliberate manipulation of the system to boost their trust scores - all from accounts created in the same pattern as the fake reviewers.
  • The patterns in the NLA reviews are too strong to happen by random chance.  Less than 1/3rd of our members have @yahoo.com email addresses, compared to almost ALL of the NLA reviewers.  Only 10% of our members connect from a mobile line, compared to almost ALL of the NLA Reviewers.

Conclusion and Future of NLA
Just like in any court, a judgement may be incorrect, however the evidence overwhelmingly suggests that NLA is behinds hundreds of fake reviews on this site.  We are in the process of banning all the fake accounts and implementing a "Notification" system which can be used to let users know of potentially fraudulent behavior from a manufacturer when viewing their reviews.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:59:42 PM by admin »
- Tommy

Meuth
Posts: 6208
« Reply #1: September 24, 2012, 04:35:09 PM »
BAM!!!!! GREAT JOB!!!!! ;)

So will the "fake" reviews get deleted and take the scores back to a normal level?
On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone will drop to zero.

Don't come to me and tell me you need help because your program isn't working when you've only been on it 3-4 weeks. It's called a program  because it takes time, unlike your sister.

Malaka10
Posts: 310
« Reply #2: September 24, 2012, 04:38:11 PM »
Way to go admin. Glad you got everything figured out. I hated seeing this company all over this site.

Seanw
Posts: 88
« Reply #3: September 24, 2012, 04:43:27 PM »
Damn admin your on these guys like white on rice nice job man.

ron
Posts: 3668
« Reply #4: September 24, 2012, 04:52:01 PM »
As is i wasnt impressed enough....  THAT IS SOME BAD A$$ DETECTIVE WORK RIGHT THERE!!
        SUCK IT NLA!!!!
The path of the righteous body builder is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the jealous and the tyranny of greedy supplement manufacturers. Blessed is he who, in the name of health and fitness, shepherds the weak through the valley of supplement darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper.

gms585
Posts: 726
« Reply #5: September 24, 2012, 04:52:21 PM »
HURRAY!

today is a day for celebration.
Are you designated human?
negative. I am a meat popsicle.

Joshuaco

Follow My Crossfit Post-Open Log with AD-3 PCT

dknight
Posts: 317
« Reply #7: September 24, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
Good work sir! Finally that crap will stop.

kris65
Posts: 1408
« Reply #8: September 24, 2012, 04:58:17 PM »
Excellent work Tom!!!!!! I think alerting the public of this companies fradulent behavior is the best thing for new users or SR.com browsers looking for reliable information.
~Hail to PITT~

"I don't say goodbye till that pain says hello." - Greg Plitt

cjnator
Posts: 595
« Reply #9: September 24, 2012, 05:02:34 PM »
Damm good job! This was the biggest supplement conspiracies on sr.com that i have seen lol!
"Haters Keep Hatin"

"Im not the strongest, biggest, or the fastest but I am sure as hell one of the most dedicated and it is good enough for me"

mhseaver670
Posts: 7801
« Reply #10: September 24, 2012, 05:03:42 PM »
+ rep! way to go..
side note.. Never try to cheat and divorce admin for half .. He will hunt you down and point out all your faults!
Maybe you should TRAIN as hard as you HATE.

"Getting stuck isn't always an option but staying stuck is!" - Cam

AngryOldMan
Posts: 312
« Reply #11: September 24, 2012, 05:03:47 PM »
The Back Story:
  On May 8th I responded to a suspicious NLA product review as such
"If I were going to try and spam SR.com I would do EXACTLY what you, JTello99, and BigTicket did.

All joined within the last 1 or 2 months. Gave great (but not perfect) reviews. List some little cons so it wouldn't look suspicious. Make sure to give reviews of other products, also.

The one thing I would NOT have done, let all 3 reviews land within 2 days.

My apologies if this really is legit, but it's hard to take at face value when the first 3 reviews of a brand new product land at the same time by new members. It just looks fishy to me."

Cray responded right away with:
  "You're being way too critical OldMan. NLA already got warned about posting fake reviews. This company is legit. I know one of their founders and he is a stellar guy. All of these reviews seem, to me at least, to be honest.

Calm down."

The Response:
  At this point, I think all reasonable people would agree that Cray owes me an apology, based on the recent events. Specifically, my concerns are:

"This company is legit." - They might make 1 legit product, but any company that does this is NOT legit.
"I know one of their founders and he is a stellar guy." - He is obviously a piece of scum.
"All of these reviews seem, to me at least, to be honest." - You seem to be very oblivious to basic facts. Please don't serve on any capitol trial juries.

"Calm down." - This one I will apologize for. I actually did cut NLA "some" slack after this event. Always trust your gut. My bad. I apologize to all of SR for calming down about NLA.

So Cray...
  You man enough to admit you were wrong?

PS Yes, I have been waiting months for this to happen. And, yes I know, I need some more hobbies. ;D

kris65
Posts: 1408
« Reply #12: September 24, 2012, 05:10:20 PM »
The Back Story:
  On May 8th I responded to a suspicious NLA product review as such

The one thing I would NOT have done, let all 3 reviews land within 2 days.

Cray responded right away with:

Calm down."

The Response:

So Cray...
  You man enough to admit you were wrong?

This is not the forum for you to settle a little squabble with Cray. If you have an issue take it to the PM's.
~Hail to PITT~

"I don't say goodbye till that pain says hello." - Greg Plitt

NoCielings
Posts: 857
« Reply #13: September 24, 2012, 05:10:29 PM »
Excellent work administrator. Splendid! Throwing out the garbage.
W0rmLabZ Rep (Contact Cray for free sample!)

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Graduate of chichistrong's Kubite Rehabilitation Program

Life Isn't About Waiting For The Storm To Pass, It's About Learning To Dance In The F$cking Rain

Team Ian McCarthy FTW

swimchamp253
Posts: 41
« Reply #14: September 24, 2012, 05:20:27 PM »
This literally made my day. Boosts my confidence in this site (not that it needed it) to know that they are actively working to keep everybody honest.
Motivation breeds success

Sign up or Log in to post a reply.

Copyright © 2019 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved!