JoeFlah Bulking with the Basics (Feb 9th to May 4th)

Read 229648 times

Reinger
Posts: 2612
« Reply #735: July 01, 2013, 08:07:48 PM »
Last year we did the main one on cbs, but we also did Pigskin Pick em & The Gridiron Challenge on ESPN.  I finished #450 in Pigskin out of around 300,000 8)

Thats pretty damn good.
It is better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you are not...

R.I.P. TK

« Reply #736: July 01, 2013, 08:10:30 PM »

Thats pretty damn good.

You guys killed me in the main fantasy league though >:(
Lift Tracker:

Decline Bench:           340           Leg Press: 1713 (calculated max)                         Barbell Row: 313

« Reply #737: July 01, 2013, 08:40:03 PM »
Lava, no hoodie or straps for me yet  :-\ Lol. Soon... soon.

And yeah guys, whichever website would work for me, I'm just so used to ESPN by now. And JML I have to admit, despite your allegiance to the enemy, that 450/300000 deserves an epic stamp lol.

By the way HYYOOOOOGE RCSS update for you all to enjoy! http://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=25673.0

lava135
Posts: 6183
« Reply #738: July 02, 2013, 05:28:58 PM »
Change of topic - here's an interesting video from Brandon Lilly and Paul Carter on nutrition that you guys might find interesting.  They start talking about CBL around the 10 minute mark.

"Luck is the last dying chance of those that wish to believe that winning can happen by accident.  Sweat, on the other hand, are for those who know it's a choice."  Author Unknown

"Before you try variety, own simplicity." -- Eric Cressey

« Reply #739: July 03, 2013, 10:14:12 AM »
Yeah man, basically echoing the idea that diet adherence is more important than counting every last calorie and torturing yourself. Like those guys, I find CBL is pretty easy to stick to and it creates a large deficit on ULC days, and I mean come on, it lets me eat cinnamon rolls and poo and lose weight lol.

I've been curious about the whole backloading for the next training session theory that they talk about. Kiefer also directly states it in his book. I'm wondering if my off days are throwing a wrench into the plan. I train at night, backload, then take the next day off. Is that rest day depleting my stores to the point where it'd hindering my next workout 2 days later? I'm not exactly sure. I'd have to compare it to a split that's set up for 6 straight training days, which I intend to do at school. Then I'd be able to backload every night and might benefit from not having an off day in between sessions so that I'll be training on full glycogen stores.

I LOVE his gas in the car analogy though, I've never thought about that but it's so ridiculously simplistic and true.

ron
Posts: 3668
« Reply #740: July 03, 2013, 11:42:57 AM »
That gas analogy has me thinking the same thing.  Why would I carb backload heavy the night before an off day?  And visa versa if its an off day and the next day is a heavy leg day, shouldn't I backload heavy that night?
  ???
The path of the righteous body builder is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the jealous and the tyranny of greedy supplement manufacturers. Blessed is he who, in the name of health and fitness, shepherds the weak through the valley of supplement darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper.

sdunlimited
Posts: 2094
« Reply #741: July 03, 2013, 01:25:18 PM »
My random 2 cents if you guys care:

I back load every day regardless of what's going on the next day.  Some days feel better than others but it seems to be 100% driven by what I back load with.  Lots of junk - ice cream, pop tarts, etc?  Not so good.  Lots of white rice, rice cakes, skim milk, etc?  Much better.

I screwed up the other night (sushi night) and continued to eat until about 1:30am.  I was super hungry all day on Tuesday which was a big problem for me.  Worst day on CBL since I started.  Totally due to throwing off my schedule.  Today however, is back on track.  I stopped my eating last night at around 10:30pm and it's all good.

Only problem I continue to experience is sub-par recovery.  I'm definitely not getting enough protein or something.  Sleep is really good this week too thanks to vacation but DOMS is still here...

« Reply #742: July 03, 2013, 08:56:42 PM »
Yeah Ron, exactly my thoughts as well. Luckily for me, since I make impulse decisions, I'm going to go back to a 6 day split ASAP and test this theory out lol. Probably a push/pull/legs split with the one power day and one dynamic day of each per week. Something like:

Monday - Power Push
Tuesday - Dynamic Pull
Wednesday - Power Legs
Thursday - Dynamic Push
Friday - Power Pull
Saturday - Dynamic Legs
Sunday - Off

This way I can keep my daily workload at a lower level while doing more total sets per week, and I'll also be able to test out this glycogen refill idea. It'll also allow me to backload every single day hahahah. Now I just need to work on the programming, sets, reps, tempo, percentages, etc... This might take a while  ::)

SD, I've been feeling the similar things with recovery. I'm getting at least 170 g protein per day regardless and the DOMS I'm getting are horrendous, especially this week with the shock protocol in PRRS. If I change anything that improves my recovery, I'll let you know.

Speaking of DOMS, I'll be glad if I'm able to stand up out of bed tomorrow. I RAVAGED my hamstrings today, and it was great! I also got to try out a new exercise, before today I've never tried cable pull throughs but they're a nice way to round out any day you're hitting the posterior chain. Imagine a kettlebell swing but with cables. Lots of hamstring, glute, and low back activation.

Didn't keep track of the weights or reps, after my first set of deadlifts I feel into a zone I've rarely reached before. My focus was laser sharp, it was 100% kill mode tonight.

Wednesday - Shock Hamstrings/Calves/Abs
All Supersets: 2 x 8-12 each
Tri Dropsets: 8-12/8-12/8-12
Single Leg Hoist Leg Curls/Sumo Deadlifts (deadlifts were INTENSE, I was ripping 275 off the floor as fast as possible. I know I hit 10 reps on the first set and 8 on the second. Win.)
Seated Calf Raises/Squat Machine Calf Raises
DB RDLS/Wide-Hi Leg Press
Lying Ab Machine/Seated Ab Machine
Lying Leg Curls/Cable Pull Throughs
Leg Press Calf Raise Tri Dropset
Two Leg Hoist Seated Leg Curls Tri Dropset
Weighted Leg Raises Tri Dropset

Fast and furious, I was out in an hour flat. Really looking forward to bis/tris with the shock protocol, the pump is going to be murderous.

Be on the lookout for another RCSS announcement tomorrow! I smell trials on the horizon  ;)

« Reply #743: July 04, 2013, 05:41:59 PM »
Today was one of those days that brought me back to my early lifting days. An impromptu change in my split left biceps as my only bodypart to train. It's shock week, I was in a great mood, and it's 'Merika's birthday. I think you can imagine how great this workout felt from a physical and mental standpoint lol. I threw in forearms for kicks. The pump I had/have is ridiculous. I look like freakin Popeye hahahaha

Thursday - Shock Week Biceps and Forearms
*Reps completed as fast as possible, minimal rest between sets

DB Concentration Curls/Close Grip Chin Ups: 2 x 8-10 each
Outer Grip EZ Curls/DB Preacher: 2 x 8-10 each
Lying Rope Cable Curls/Incline DB Curls: 2 x 8-10 each
Inner Grip EZ Cable Curl Tri Dropset: 8-10/8-10/8-10 reps
Reverse Grip Cable Drag Curls/DB Forearm Curls: 2 x 8-10 each
Forearm Rope: Forward + Backward Roll x 3 with descending weight

BOOM

Only 40 minutes, freaking awesome. Now to celebrate 'Merika with a huge backload and a barbecue with my broskis  ;D

Don't forget to get your apps in on the RCSS App thread I created earlier! YEAH BUDDY!

« Reply #744: July 06, 2013, 10:12:10 AM »
Last day to get those RCSS apps in! I'll be going through the final list tonight and announce the winners of the first batch tomorrow as planned.

Tired as hell for these past two fasted training sessions but I pushed through. Currently working on making a six day split incorperated the Westside Conjugate Method. Aka max effort and dynamic effort work on seperate days. This might take a while though lol

Friday - Shock Delts/Triceps

Close Stance Leg Press/Split Squats
Seated Calf Raise Tri Drop
Hack Squat Tri Drop
Leg Raise Tri Drop

Todays leg day was brutal, but that speed work was fun. I'm looking forward to incorperating that into my split. PRRS has given me a lot of new ideas in terms of rep tempo and loading parameters.

Ill post my routine for critiques when I get it done.

« Reply #745: July 10, 2013, 09:41:37 AM »
Due to time constraints I've kinda given up on PRRS. I couldn't find the time to fit any of those 2.5 hr Power Week Workouts in this week lol. Especially considering I'm in the middle of a stretch where I'm working for 10 straight days.

Instead, I've switched back to more or less the split I was working with before PRRS, except further broken down. Instead of upper and lower, I split up upper to push and pull so I can be in and out in 45-50 minutes on those days. Legs still take over and hour like today, but what're you gunna do?

For now, I'm going to keep it like this and just focus on contracting hard as hell on every rep, regardless of the rep range. I'm cluttering my mind too much thinking of how I can incorporate different tempos and eccentrics and what not. Just going back to a more basic split and hitting it hard and pushing for progressive overload. I'll change up some of the exercises and rep ranges every 3 weeks.

Wednesday - Legs/Abs
Heels Elevated Squats (THESE FELT AMAZING, plus this stance allowed me to go super deep and have a huge ROM)

DB RDLS

Hack Squat Machine
+240 x 10
+240 x 9
+240 x 9

Hip Thrusts (Never tried these weighted before, but I can already tell I'm going to love these when I start adding more weight)
85 x 15

15 x 13
15 x 10
15 x 8
15 x 8

Annnnd I was spent. I'll be moving abs to pull days to save a little time. I'm also working on using different volume/sets/rep ranges for accessory groups like traps, rear delts, calves, and abs. I want to hit them heavy-ish on one day and then lighter with higher reps on another to get differing training effects throughout the week.

CBL is going... meh. That's about all I can tell you. I found that CBL plays right into the hands of my binge eating tendencies, and I falsely use the word "backload" as an excuse for going overboard. It's especially hard on days where train fasted and have to wait hours before eating any carbs, like I've been forced to do all this week. By the time it hits 7 or 8 pm, I'm already hours deep in dreaming about food, and the cravings are insane. The other day, I slammed a three scoop ice cream sundae and a half dozen donuts from Dunkin Donuts, then I ate an entire box of Pop Tarts and a bowl of cereal. Like, what?

I need to get this under control, and I've been doing a good job of that recently. Trying to lose weight on CBL has its sacrifices just like any cutting diet. I can't expect to do that constantly and then when I'm gaining weight be like "hey man, screw CBL, it doesn't work." I'm only going to allow myself one "dirty" backload per week now, kinda like I used to allow myself one "cheat meal" per week on previous diets. The other backloads will be mostly pure dextrose, ripe bananas, white bread, white rice, sweet and white potatoes, raisins, gluten free bread, etc. Bland, but so what.

I also need to figure out what to do with my fat content in my diet. A ratio of .5-.75 to 1 is encouraged on CBL, so I've been trying to get 120 g fat and 170 g protein each day. But I kinda feel sluggish eating all that fat. It's not like it's coming from crap sources, I keep my fat intake to MCT Oil, Eggs, Almonds, Meat, and occasionally organic butter or cheese. But idk, I'm not a big fan. I'll probably go back to going closer to .5:1, so 85 g fat to 170 g protein.

We'll see how that goes.

sdunlimited
Posts: 2094
« Reply #746: July 10, 2013, 11:37:23 AM »
Joe, that's one heck of a back load!  I, too, am a binge eater and that's one of the things I love about CBL - I can go crazy and have very little impact on my physique.  I don't think I can put down what you did, however - that's a ton of food!

I do find that the cleaner back loads really make a difference and quickly too.  That, coupled with some cardio and you make progress very fast....so you can kill it with another crazy back load!

What time are you training at and how fasted are you?
I don't put anything w/calories in my until about noon and that's just a little whey protein.  Next up, if I even have anything, is a green salad between 1pm-3pm (I've had nothing today).  From there, I'll take PWO supps anywhere from 4:30-5:30pm and workout anywhere from 5-7pm.  Wait a half hour, drop my chocolate milk, creatine, whey drink and pretty much prime myself to consume until as late as 11:30pm.
I stopped tracking everything precisely because I stick with a lot of the same foods and will just eat more or less depending on how I'm feeling and what I want to do (like lose fat weight).

I've found cravings to be very minimal unless I eat very late at night.  Anything up to, at or around midnight and later and I'll struggle the next day.  Although, I've been on appetite suppressants for a few weeks now so that could be helping too.

I definitely think it's worth sticking with but I hear ya when that part says 'Enough of this!'  Ice cream typically makes that better, though ;D

« Reply #747: July 10, 2013, 03:45:25 PM »
Nice work Joe!  You're right about going deep when the heels are elevated.  If you like that feeling check out the Adidas Adipowers, they're pretty pricey, but squats feel great with em

« Reply #748: July 11, 2013, 11:04:19 AM »
@SD: I hear ya man, 2 days of clean backloads has me back on track. Ill stick with this for now, I don't deserve a reward at the moment lol.

On days where I work at night, which has been all week so far, I workout completely fasted at 8:30 am on nothing but 2 cups of black coffee. On days where I workout at 5pm I have 1-2 meals and 2 accelerators without whey isolate because I don't have any.

@JML: I need some new gym shoes soon so ill give those a look, don't know how they'd treat my deadlift though lol

Chest, shoulders and triceps today, I'm on the bus right now so I can't give exact numbers at the moment. Took just over an hour and I was sweating my ass off.

I tried out neutral grip seated shoulder presses today and I really like them, really fry the front delts.

Lats/bis/traps/abs tomorrow, so ready

« Reply #749: July 11, 2013, 04:01:25 PM »
Yeah, they're not the best for deads.  I wear em only on leg day.  For deads, I still wear my Sambas

Traditional Deadlift:    505

Sign up or Log in to post a reply.

Copyright © 2019 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved!