Sign In

Remember Me

How-to Guides and Articles

Forum

JoeFlah Bulking with the Basics (Feb 9th to May 4th)

Read 229644 times

RiseAboveIt
Rep: +272
Trust: 100%
Locker Roommates
« Reply #720: June 29, 2013, 08:16:01 AM »
@Rise: Hahah yeah man CBL is a clusterf*** especially if you're the king of ocd like me. But I just want to reap the benefits so badly. And eat tasty poo lol

@Kev: Yeah man back to basics can do a lot of good in almost any facet of bodybuilding. Sometimes you overthink training when all you need to do is go back to grabbing heavy barbells and deadlifting, squating, benching, and overhead pressing. Same with this diet, even though there are guidelines. Once you layout the guidelines, its pretty simple.

Definitely a lot to be said about back to basics.  I enjoy following CBL for the ease that it fits into my daily schedule and my tendencies to be a binge eater.  However, something I found this week is that the best results I've seen so far with respect to fat loss have come from what...?  Multiple morning HIIT sessions coupled with evening workouts and additional HIIT sessions.  Genius, huh?  My daily caloric deficit has ended up being anywhere between 400-800cals based on how much I can eat.  

As has been noted in multiple other threads, there really doesn't seem to be any miracle diet plan per se, but rather the miracle comes from compliance with the eating plan.  Effectively run a deficit, lose fat.  Consume more than you need, gain weight.  Adjust macros to help optimize.  

If nothing else, CBL seems to show that the 'anabolic window' is open much longer than some assume and meal timing doesn't affect a whole heck of a lot.  

Might've just rambled there...carry on.

;D

That is something I believe strongly in. The anabolic window has actually been shown to be 39 hours after training I believe, so no bros, you don't have to start drinking your shake as soon as you finish your last set lol

And meal timing is bs imo. Doesn't matter if you eat 6 meals or 1 meal, just hit your macros.

WarMachine
Rep: +8,113
Locker Roommates
« Reply #721: June 29, 2013, 08:25:38 AM »
Timing meals may actually be essential especially for weight loss goals because you'll want to keep your metabolism going with the frequent intake of food, but at the same time, you don't want to risk overwhelming your metabolism with feeding periods that may be too close to one another.
Any human can train with iron, but it takes a machine to destroy the iron

You don't need to be an ABSOLUTE FREAK in order to be strong, you need to work ABSOLUTELY FREAKING hard to become strong

Embrace the hate from others and make that your power to achieve the gains you love

sdunlimited
Rep: +2,012
Locker Roommates
« Reply #722: June 29, 2013, 08:34:18 AM »
Timing meals may actually be essential especially for weight loss goals because you'll want to keep your metabolism going with the frequent intake of food, but at the same time, you don't want to risk overwhelming your metabolism with feeding periods that may be too close to one another.

I used to buy into this thought process but I've been able to lose fat both ways:  eating 6, 8, 10 times per day and just eating between ~8pm - 11pm daily.  

As mentioned in my comment above, I think most physique enhancement based diet programs (not typical/normal/fat people diets) can/will provide results if the user complies with them.  The differences in the results they yield from one to the other are probably similar to the differences we see from one protein powder to the next - not a whole lot.  

Just my 2 cents.  Joe, you can have your log back now.  ;)

RiseAboveIt
Rep: +272
Locker Roommates
« Reply #723: June 29, 2013, 08:56:11 AM »

I respectfully disagree. I have dropped about 4-5lbs these last 3 1/2 weeks and my diet is never the same if the essence of timing. My work schedule is all over the place and sometimes I get my macros in 1-2 meals and sometimes 4-5. I never worry about what I eat pre/post, just whatever is on my list of foods for that day that sound good at the time.

Point is, your body isn't stupid. I have maintained the same amount of weight loss over the last few weeks and my meal timing is waayyyy different everyday. At the end of the day I believe it is simply calories in vs calories out. But hey that's just my opinion, doesn't mean the whole world has to agree  ;)

joeflah13
Rep: +1,493
Locker Roommates
« Reply #724: June 29, 2013, 06:18:29 PM »
I'm digging the conversation guys. Here's my opinion on the ordeal:

First, regarding the "anabolic window". It's no secret that your body is going to be far more responsive to certain nutrients postworkout. Provided you're working out with sufficient intensity, the resistance training you do is going to create transient insulin sensitivity in your muscle cells and "cast a shadow" over your fat cell's ability to be responsive to insulin. The length of time isn't the single hour like bro science used to dictate. Like Rise said, working out can have this effect (but maybe not at the same magnitude) for over a day long. Not saying your body will respond to a meal the same at hour 24 after a workout as it will during the first hour after, but there will be some carry over.

I personally don't have my shake until 30 minutes after I workout. I used to prescribe to the school of thought where you should down your shake while the weight from your last set is still hitting the floor lol. But now I realize that A) it's not THAT time sensitive of an issue and B) there may be added benefits to slightly postponing the shake, especially for fat loss. This would allow for an "afterburn effect" since you release a gamut of hormones during a workout, many of which aid in fat loss. The insulin spike you'd get from your protein + carb + whatever shake, or just your protein shake (because yes, whey protein is insulinogenic), is going to stop those hormones from attacking fat cells and switch your body from "break down tissue" mode to "build up tissue" mode. How big of an afterburn effect might this be? I have no clue, and chances are it's not all that much. But if it's not sacrificing any anabolism for even minor gains in fat loss ability, then I'm for it.

As far as meal timing goes, the whole idea that constant feedings "rev your metabolism" is also bro science. Yes, food has a thermic effect when consumed, but it's negligible in the grand scheme of things. You can literally have 1/2 a bite less of food to achieve the same effect lol.

But I wouldn't go as far as saying "you can eat 1 meal or 6, just hit your macros". I definitely agree that at the end of the day, the key is to hit your macros, but I can't agree with the idea that it can all come at the same time. If you eat 200 g of protein in one sitting, your going to get the anabolic benefits, but there's going to be a limit to how much protein you can synthesize in a given time period. The rest will be converted and stored as glucose. Anecdotally, the fewer meals I eat (1-2 per day), the less I feel like my food is fully digesting and actually going to good use. If I eat 3-5 meals per day (not including shakes here), it allows me to keep them slightly smaller and I feel like the nutrients are actually going for their intended purpose because I feel I digest the meals better. But to each his own. If you're eating 1 meal per day and hitting PRs, power to you.

In CBL news, it's been pretty easy to stick with this new format. I've only been using it for 2 days now, but the streamlined version is easier to maintain. What you guys mentioned that I DO agree with is that anything that you can comply with to create a caloric deficit/surplus is going to be the diet that helps you lose/gain weight. CBL allows me to comply pretty easily, so I'm going to ride it out.

But SD... multiple HIIT sessions in the morning and more later PLUS training? I'm willing to bet a lot of the weight your losing is also muscle. With that workload, if you're doing the HIIT correctly at least, you're going to do more harm than good.

Anyways, check out my Tribustol review (sparknotes version: Tribustol sucks, don't use it) and be on the lookout for my Beta-Stim video early next week!

Today's workout was SOLID. I'm loving the pump I'm getting from these slow, controlled reps during Rep Range Week. When you come near the end of the workout and you're staring down the barrel of a 16-20 rep set with 2 second positives and negatives and squeezing the hell out of every contraction, you really find out how bad you want it lol. I thought Power Week was a gut check... So is Rep Range Week, but in an entirely different way! Sure I have to swallow my pride a bit and strip some weight off to nail form and function, but the pump and muscular stimulation is unreal.

Saturday - Rep Range Quads/Calves/Abs
Back Squats (2 x 7-9)
245 x 8
245 x 7

Split Squats (2 x 10-12) Seriously, if you want to test your limits, try this out
155 x 9
155 x 8

Hack Squat Machine (2 x 13-15)
120 x 15
120 x 14

Leg Extensions (2 x 16-20)
60 x 16
70 x 17

Seated Calf Raises (2 x 10-12)
90 x 12
90 x 10

Squat Machine Calf Raises (2 x 16-20)
360 x 15
320 x 16

Hanging Knee Raises (2 x 10-12)

Machine Laying Crunches (2 x 16-20)

And then I had to ride my bike home hahahah. This backload is going to be VERY rewarding  ;D

lava135
Rep: +7,017
Locker Roommates
« Reply #725: June 29, 2013, 06:36:26 PM »
Just pointing this out but all this diet talk is really kind of dorky.  I vote that we return to posting pics of hot chicks instead.   ;D

"Luck is the last dying chance of those that wish to believe that winning can happen by accident.  Sweat, on the other hand, are for those who know it's a choice."  Author Unknown

"Before you try variety, own simplicity." -- Eric Cressey

Reinger
Rep: +2,590
Locker Roommates
« Reply #726: June 29, 2013, 06:43:48 PM »
Fooo all that Shizzzz.... Eat, lift, eat, repeat.  You guys make this too complicated.  More girls-more barely. At least thats what we say in the hood.
It is better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you are not...

R.I.P. TK

jmlstocks
Rep: +3,129
Locker Roommates
« Reply #727: June 29, 2013, 07:04:23 PM »
Just pointing this out but all this diet talk is really kind of dorky.  I vote that we return to posting pics of hot chicks instead.   ;D

^^^^............and bashing the Bears as well
Lift Tracker:

Decline Bench:           340           Leg Press: 1713 (calculated max)                         Barbell Row: 313
Decline Bench            433
(with Slingshot-calculated max)   Trap Bar Deadlift 629
Seated Military Press: 220
Traditional Deadlift:    505

joeflah13
Locker Roommates
« Reply #728: June 30, 2013, 09:11:46 PM »
@Lava: Hahah i'll leave that up to Deum, he seems to have that market cornered.

@Reinger: More like mo GAINZ, mo barley playa!!!

@JML: You would... I'm soooo stoked for football season though!!!

jmlstocks
Locker Roommates
« Reply #729: June 30, 2013, 09:31:34 PM »
@Lava: Hahah i'll leave that up to Deum, he seems to have that market cornered.

@Reinger: More like mo GAINZ, mo barley playa!!!

@JML: You would... I'm soooo stoked for football season though!!!

Can't wait, one month til preseason, 2 til regular

You'll have to get in with us on the SR fantasy league
Lift Tracker:

Decline Bench:           340           Leg Press: 1713 (calculated max)                         Barbell Row: 313

joeflah13
Locker Roommates
« Reply #730: July 01, 2013, 05:22:43 PM »
What site hosts SR's league? I LOVE ESPN leagues.

OMFG... O... M...F... G...

Shock week is so demonically fun!!! No rest, fast reps, you'll be in and out in 45 minutes and soaked with sweat and accomplishment hahaha. Chest and lats made for a gnarly pump!

Monday - Shock Week Chest/Lats
Cable Crossovers/DB Bench Superset
25 x 12/65 x 10
30 x 10/65 x 6

Pullovers/Pullups Superset
40 x 12/8
40 x 10/8

Weighted Dips/Flyes Superset
+45 x 10/30 x 12
+45 x 8/30 x 10

DB Rows/Pulldowns Superset
65 x 13/100 x 10
65 x 10/100 x 9

Hammer Press/Leverage Press Superset
90 x 13/180 x 8
110 x 7/180 x 8

Hi-Lo Hammer Row/Magnum CG Row Superset
140 x 10/50 x 11
140 x 8/60 x 9

Pec Deck Tri Dropset
120 x 10/90 x 9/60 x 10

Seated Cable Row Tri Dropset
100 x 8/70 x 8/40 x 23

50 minutes. This was nuts and the pump was just godly. Once again, Backload EARNED.

Also, be on the lookout for a BUNCH of RCSS News tonight! Breaking it all exclusively on SR!

lava135
Rep: +7,017
Locker Roommates
« Reply #731: July 01, 2013, 05:24:13 PM »

Also, be on the lookout for a BUNCH of RCSS News tonight! Breaking it all exclusively on SR!
You finally got your hoody?    ;)
"Luck is the last dying chance of those that wish to believe that winning can happen by accident.  Sweat, on the other hand, are for those who know it's a choice."  Author Unknown

"Before you try variety, own simplicity." -- Eric Cressey

Reinger
Rep: +2,590
Locker Roommates
« Reply #732: July 01, 2013, 05:39:20 PM »
What site hosts SR's league? I LOVE ESPN leagues.

OMFG... O... M...F... G...

Shock week is so demonically fun!!! No rest, fast reps, you'll be in and out in 45 minutes and soaked with sweat and accomplishment hahaha. Chest and lats made for a gnarly pump!

Monday - Shock Week Chest/Lats
Cable Crossovers/DB Bench Superset
25 x 12/65 x 10
30 x 10/65 x 6

Pullovers/Pullups Superset
40 x 12/8
40 x 10/8

Weighted Dips/Flyes Superset
+45 x 10/30 x 12
+45 x 8/30 x 10

DB Rows/Pulldowns Superset
65 x 13/100 x 10
65 x 10/100 x 9

Hammer Press/Leverage Press Superset
90 x 13/180 x 8
110 x 7/180 x 8

Hi-Lo Hammer Row/Magnum CG Row Superset
140 x 10/50 x 11
140 x 8/60 x 9

Pec Deck Tri Dropset
120 x 10/90 x 9/60 x 10

Seated Cable Row Tri Dropset
100 x 8/70 x 8/40 x 23

50 minutes. This was nuts and the pump was just godly. Once again, Backload EARNED.

Last year was CBS. But I am making the switch to espn most likely. Things will be a lil different this year.
It is better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you are not...

R.I.P. TK

deumcole
Rep: +4,742
Locker Roommates
« Reply #733: July 01, 2013, 05:40:53 PM »
^ NFL.com
"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
- Thomas Jefferson

Violence, is forever.
Your silence, forced this war.

jmlstocks
Locker Roommates
« Reply #734: July 01, 2013, 06:34:44 PM »
Last year we did the main one on cbs, but we also did Pigskin Pick em & The Gridiron Challenge on ESPN.  I finished #450 in Pigskin out of around 300,000 8)
Lift Tracker:

Copyright © 2019 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved!