Sign In

Remember Me

How-to Guides and Articles

Forum

JoeFlah Bulking with the Basics (Feb 9th to May 4th)

Read 225315 times

lava135
Rep: +7,017
Trust: 100%
Locker Roommates
« Reply #645: June 02, 2013, 06:37:14 PM »
That is good to know about Rilose.  Unfortunately a couple hours ago i consulted the label on the side of my giant orange NOW jug of Waxy Miaze and learned that it is a sustained energy source which goes against the CBL grain.  This caused me to immediately make a rather large order to AllStarHealth.com .  Along with a few protein powders and MCT Oil, i ordered up some Virtargo.  I couldnt pull the trigger on the giant sized tub for $154.99, but did get the 4 pounder for $63.  I realize this is not the least expensive way to slam carbs in my post workout drink, but i honestly do want the best money can buy and if this is it, then so be it.  On the bright side, purchasing the virtargo knocked the total shipping charge of $5.95 from my bill...
hahaha, you have no idea how much this made me chuckle.  It's good toknow I'm not the only person who will spend too much but feel good about saving 6 bucks on shipping, lol.
"Luck is the last dying chance of those that wish to believe that winning can happen by accident.  Sweat, on the other hand, are for those who know it's a choice."  Author Unknown

"Before you try variety, own simplicity." -- Eric Cressey

iSamurai
Rep: +1,774
Locker Roommates
« Reply #646: June 03, 2013, 05:46:00 AM »
Joe I saw your pics on IG, and I'm jelly as foo.  Do you do commentating or interview players?  Either way that's awesome bro
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 08:19:06 AM by iSamurai »

lava135
Locker Roommates
« Reply #647: June 03, 2013, 08:07:22 AM »
Here's an old thread on Rilose.

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/rilose_carbohydrate

I used it a good bit back when I was a big PF customer.  The also had rice syrup solids or something to that effect (can't remember)  both were ok but unremarkable.  Keifer and PF had a relationship back then as PF offered a customer blend to Keifer's specs.  here's an old blof post on it:

http://athlete.io/489/dh-protein-series-by-protein-factory/

PF still sells them under their sale items tab, but no longer has the banners or the fancy graphics so I suspect that the agreement is no longer in place and it no longer mentions Keifer or CBL.  I personally wouldn't buy it directly from PF but I the formula is in the description, so you can build your own.
"Luck is the last dying chance of those that wish to believe that winning can happen by accident.  Sweat, on the other hand, are for those who know it's a choice."  Author Unknown

ron
Rep: +5,387
Locker Roommates
« Reply #648: June 03, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
Thanks for the info lava.  That was a crazy anti-corn scare tactic video they show you on that PF website.
Was there a reason you stopped using them?  They seem to be the only hydrolyzed casein seller I can find.
The path of the righteous body builder is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the jealous and the tyranny of greedy supplement manufacturers. Blessed is he who, in the name of health and fitness, shepherds the weak through the valley of supplement darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper.

lava135
Locker Roommates
« Reply #649: June 03, 2013, 09:42:58 AM »
Thanks for the info lava.  That was a crazy anti-corn scare tactic video they show you on that PF website.
Was there a reason you stopped using them?  They seem to be the only hydrolyzed casein seller I can find.
I will only use them now for PeptoPro since its almost impossible to counterfeit.  The only other vendor that I can order that from is TruNutrition.

I was a decent reseller of PF proteins for a good while - I mean I bought a ton of it over the course of a couple of years.  At one point we even discussed formalizing a reseller agreement and/or opening a franchise but that fell through (most likely due to me not Alex).  But at some point orders just kept getting screwed up and I started doubting that the higher end proteins such as Native Whey that I was buying were the actual product that I was paying for.  Plus, I started questioning the concept of higher end "boutique" proteins and fractions and what not.  I mean some of this stuff was running over $20.00/lb and the results just weren't there to justify the added expense.  Then they got hit with a pretty brutal warning letter from the FDA about truth in labelling and production practices:

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2012/ucm299891.htm

Anyway, that kind of put the problems that I had been seeing into perspective so I just moved to Muscle Feast as my primary supplier.  Since then, I'm not in the business of reselling protein because raw prices are just too insane to make a profit.  But in any case Alex built a reputation on no gimmicks and cheap, high quality proteins; somewhere along the line I think he got off track a bit and now he's in the land of $180 vitamins and "sculpting whey".  Just my opinion, by all means don't take what I say as gospel.  Try them yourself if you feel so inclined.

ron
Locker Roommates
« Reply #650: June 03, 2013, 10:38:13 AM »
That was a massive list of violations, but fron what I did read. they seem to apply mostly with documentation and not cleaning their batching equipment when switching powders. Id really like to buy the PeptoPro hydrolyzed casein.  You still recommend Protein Factory for that?
The path of the righteous body builder is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the jealous and the tyranny of greedy supplement manufacturers. Blessed is he who, in the name of health and fitness, shepherds the weak through the valley of supplement darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper.

lava135
Locker Roommates
« Reply #651: June 03, 2013, 10:51:56 AM »
Absolutely

sdunlimited
Rep: +2,012
Locker Roommates
« Reply #652: June 03, 2013, 11:33:30 AM »
Perhaps this new offering from Dunkin Donuts would fit nicely into the back load:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/06/03/dunkin-donuts-adding-glazed-donut-breakfast-sandwich-to-national-menu/

"The sandwich, which comes with fried eggs and bacon between a split glazed doughnut, will become a part of the permanent menu starting June 7, which the chain claims is “National Donut Day.” "

ron
Locker Roommates
« Reply #653: June 03, 2013, 01:24:18 PM »
Only 360 calories but the components seem right.  Just have to eat several of them  :P

lava135
Locker Roommates
« Reply #654: June 03, 2013, 01:40:24 PM »
I was just going through my cupboards and came across a stash of PB2 that I forgot that I had.  What do you guys think of this as a carb source for the hypertrophic shake?  Although I'm switching over to Pro-Antium, I've still got some unflavored Muscle Feast Premium on hand and I was thinking that the occasional shake with this plus milk and some sugar might be a good combo.  Not sure if the minor amount of fats and fiber are enough to warrant me leaving it on the shelf.

ron
Locker Roommates
« Reply #655: June 03, 2013, 01:49:55 PM »
I know nothing of PB2 but it does sound like it would make a tasty protein shake.  :P

joeflah13
Rep: +1,493
Locker Roommates
« Reply #656: June 03, 2013, 09:21:04 PM »
Hey guys, stupid busy today but I got a good upper body workout in and my backload was spectacular. Hit a PR on underhand close grip pulldowns and incline DB curls. Still trying to get my bearing back after being all Hawk'd out over the weekend lol. How about them Bruins tho??!!

A quick comment for Ron/Lava: I think you're all good with PB2 in the backload period. I've been doing a lot of reading on the backloading forums and most people recommend adding healthy fats to the backload. It seems like a lot of people are scared to because it slows digestion, in theory, but I think even Kiefer has recommendations for using fats in the backload because it won't interfere much if at all. I'll look into it.

@iSam: For now, just interviewing. The camera guys I've been working with are super legit so they let me do standups around the same time as the real news anchor does. It's so freaking cool! I was inside the United Center doing a standup near the rink at about 5 pm while the stadium was empty, just like I would if I were to actually be on the news. It's so legit. And I was actually asking questions to a bunch of guys on the Kings and they used some of my soundbites on the 10 pm news at ABCs LA affiliate and on NHL Tonight on the NHL Network. I was just watching those shows like "I was there! Well, far off camera, but I was in that general vicinity!" Hahahah

A quote I'll never forget: "You go on the road for a split" - Andrew Miller. Never thought anyone would actually admit that!

joeflah13
Locker Roommates
« Reply #657: June 04, 2013, 05:49:46 AM »
Some stuff I dug up from the book pertinent to the discussions currently going on in the log/in my PMs:

On eating fat in the backload period:

Don’t worry about the fat: post-training, the insulin response does not stop the after-burn effect of resistance training—the body continues burning fat for up to 36 hours.

On eating High GI carbs and staying away from Low GI:

We all know—or should know—that eating carbs before bed disrupts nighttime release of growth hormone. I’m not going to spend time talking about the benefits of growth hormone other than to reiterate its role as a fat burner and a lean tissue builder: something no one wants to screw up with poor food choice.

The poor choice here is low-glycemic carbs. The body will not release growth hormone during sleep until roughly two hours after blood sugar and insulin levels return to normal. Low-glycemic carbs keep insulin and blood sugar levels elevated for hours, while high-glycemic create a spike that ends within an hour or so of eating. Eating junk gives the benefit of replenishing glycogen stores without interfering with the nocturnal hGH cycle.

When someone attempts to Carb Back-Load using brown rice and whole-grain toast, they get crappy results. They want to do a healthy version of the diet, only to realize healthy means impotent. They too narrowly define healthy.

Eat like a fat kid to get jacked, end of story.

And

Stay away from the healthy foods: avoid whole-grain breads, high fiber, low-glycemic foods. This is the time go get high—high glycemic and insulinotropic. Cherry turnovers, apple pie or rice pudding work. These junk items, as health experts call them, spike insulin and supply huge glucose boluses to help refill glycogen stores. I specify these foods for another reason.

The body releases growth hormone at night, but it won’t begin doing so until insulin levels return to normal and stay at that level for about two hours. Eating the high-glycemic goodies causes a big rush of blood sugar and jolt of insulin, then a quick drop as things settle back to normal, leaving the nocturnal hours free of insulin and full of growth hormone.

Let me say this a bit more clearly: absolutely avoid low-glycemic carbs. They cause sustained and low-grade blood sugar and insulin levels that may last hours, sabotaging the nightly release of a powerful fat burning hormone and sabotaging your results.

Maybe the couch-potato neighbor needs to listen to Dr. Oz and eat only low-glycemic tree-bark, but high-performance athletes don’t:
that’s why we train in the first place, to rise above the norm.

So yes, for anyone who asked or still wants to ask, for the 100000th time, carb choices matter. That's the whole damn premise of CBL. Don't change the layout because you think it will be "healthier" because then it isn't CBL. The end.

Now for my workouts

Saturday - Lower Body B
Squats
285 x 8
285 x 7
285 x 6

RDLS
285 x 9
285 x 8
285 x 7

Leg Extensions
170 x 12 PR (for this machine at least)
170 x 10
170 x 8

Leg Press Calf Raises
500 x 12 PR
500 x 11
500 x 9
500 x 8

Abs
Various/4 sets

Monday - Upper Body A
Bench Press
205 x 8
205 x 6
205 x 9 singles (10-15 second rest in between reps)

Magnum Rows (Magnum was the name of the equipment, like a barbell row but on a platform)
+90 x 11
+110 x 9
+120 x 7

Incline Hammer Press
190 x 9
190 x 6
190 x 5 + 1

Underhand Close Grip Pulldowns
165 x 12 PR
165 x 8
165 x 7

Cable Side Raises (Different Cable Set)
15 x 17
20 x 14

Triceps Extensions (Again, Different Cable Set)
75 x 10
75 x 8

Incline DB Curls
35 x 11 PR
35 x 8

Rear Delt Flyes
20 x 14
20 x 14/10 isometric contractions

Incline DB Shrug Triple Dropset
90 x 12/60 x 15/30 x 20

Annnnnd I'm spent.

lava135
Locker Roommates
« Reply #658: June 04, 2013, 06:35:52 AM »
So, what you're saying is that carb choices matter?   ;D

joeflah13
Locker Roommates
« Reply #659: June 04, 2013, 10:55:01 AM »
@Lava: -___________-

Hahaha

In case y'all missed it on the main page, there's going to be a Q & A with IFBB Pro Shawn Flexatron Rhoden on the Ronnie Coleman Signature Series Facebook page TOMORROW at 12pm EST!!! Don't miss out, get those questions ready!

Copyright © 2019 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved!