ROCKET FUEL Reviews

By: Flex Nutrition

Overall
Overall
Thanks to Flex Nutrition for sending it out!
  August 11, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Endurance Boost
  • 33 Servings
  • Nice Name
  • D-Ribose
  • Kre-Alkalyn
  • AminoZorb
  • Lot Of Foam
  • Doses Could Be Higher
  • Might Need More Ingredients
  • Clumps

Interesting formula with quality patented technology like AminoZorb and Kre-Alkalyn but it either needs more dose of each of those 2 ingredients and/or the product itself needs more ingredients to be considered in my "elite preworkout" list. However, it will still push you to make good progress in your workout. I invite you to read my suggestions for the company.

INTRODUCTION

Thanks to Flex Nutrition for participating in the SR TROOP program, allowing me to try this interesting preworkout and SupplementReviews for making this connection possible. I love preworkouts, you love preworkouts, we all love preworkouts. And if you don't love them, then you haven't tried one correctly or haven't tried the correct one. I lift from Monday-Friday so I need preworkouts to help me keep pushing and pulling!

INGREDIENT PROFILE

Flex Nutrition explains every ingredient they added here: https://flexnutrition.net/product/rocket-fuel/ so I'll try to put just the 'most popular benefits'.

5g of Citrulline Malate for Increased Pumps, Vascularity, Performance, etc. For more benefits and how it works, read here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/citrulline-malate or read the link at the beginning of this section. We don't know if it's a 2:1 ratio or 1:1 or even if it's more Malic Acid than Citrulline. Unfortunately, the product nor the website say what's the ratio of their Citrulline Malate, it's important to know the ratio. It's a good 'healthy' or 'balanced' dose. 6g or more can sometimes send you to a bathroom trip before working out.

3g of patented Beta Alanine (CarnoSyn) for increased performance, strength, delay fatigue, train for longer time, etc. For more benefits and how it works, read here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/beta-alanine or read the link at the beginning of this section. Very good dose.

2g of D-Ribose: It's involved in the production of ATP (active energy). For more info, check the brand's website at the beginning of this section.

2g AminoZorb which is enzymatic buffered Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine 2:1:1 ratio. The brand's website says: "AminoZorb BCAA patent pending process makes this branch chain completely stable in solution and water soluble." A bit more info about it of the brand owner of the patent: http://allamericanpharmaceutical.com/Docs/AminoZorb/AminoZorb.pdf This ingredient is new to me and to this industry, it's still "patent pending".

1.5g of Kre-Alkalyn. It's Creatine that has been processed to have a "pH" of 12, so it doesn't convert into Creatinine. The Creatine molecules are more stable. I haven't tried this form of Creatine by itself so I can't say if it's more effective than other forms of Creatine. This is the dose used by the product that has this ingredient by itself so I guess it's ok. Considering the price of this product, I would have liked to see more dose though. Check the brand's website at the beginning for more info.

1g of Tyrosine. From NOW L-Tyrosine's product: "L-Tyrosine is an essential amino acid and a precursor of the neurotransmitters dopamine, norepinephrine to help maintain normal and health mental functions and support your mood or well-being. In addition L-Tyrosine may also support healthy adrenal, thyroid and pituitary function. One thing it also does is convert to the thyroid hormone thyroxin. This plays an important role in controlling metabolic rate, not to mention skin health, mental health, and growth rate!" Good dose. The minimum you want to see is 500mg.

325mg of Caffeine for energy, alertness, focus, mood, etc. This dose is high but considering it's the only stimulant in this formula, then I think this high dose is necessary.

I give it a 7.5/10 here. I like the idea they tried to do. They kept it "simple" by the amount of ingredients used but also tried to put some interesting ingredients in here. The problem with that is for example "D-Ribose". Yes, it's involved in ATP production but it's 2g a significant amount? I read any amount can be beneficial but I also read doses above 5g were needed. The AminoZorb is interesting but 2g? :/ dissapointed with that dose because of the price you ask for this product. 1.5g of Kre-Alkalyn seems to be the standard but again, for the price you ask for, you should add more.

TASTE/MIXABILITY/DOSING

TASTE: I received the Fruit Punch flavor. It seems to be the only one available right now. The initial taste isn't so pleasant but as you keep drinking, the taste gets better and better, reminding me of a natural fruit punch flavor. At the end of the flavor and the aftertaste, you will feel it.

MIXABILITY: The bad thing is the huge foam :/ It's not a foam that goes away easily, you have to swirl the liquid as you drink and also let it sit for a couple of minutes. This needs to be fixed. Also, the powder was clumped before opening. It wasn't a big problem because the clumps were not solid but it's still a minor problem that needs to be fixed if you pretend this to be commercialized.

DOSING: 1 scoop 30-45 minutes before working out.

SERVINGS: 33

EFFECTIVENESS

Right now I'm not lifting like before so won't separate this into several sections like I always do. I think the best attribute of this preworkout was the energy and endurance/performance part. Even though Caffeine is the only stimulant, the 325mg did a great job to last the whole workout. The endurance/performance was remarkable, I could easily do combined exercises/supersets although I'm already used to that. The Focus was alright but not outstanding. I'm not lifting for Strength right now so won't judge it so much here. I didn't feel increase on strength. Pump was higher than average but no skin splitting pumps.

So overall, it did a good job, but it's not an elite preworkout. It's in a "higher than average" category.

VALUE

It seems to be only available on the brand's website: https://flexnutrition.net/product/rocket-fuel/ for $49.49. Usually the price the brands have on their website is not the real retail price they expect to sell their product but considering it's the only place available to buy and with that price, I have to judge it based on that price of $49.49. It's too expensive.

Even though putting the Kre-Alkalyn and AminoZorb patented ingredients is expensive, I think the dose included doesn't justify the high price. It's only 2g of AminoZorb BCAA and 1.5g of Kre-Alkalyn. If we were talking about 4g and 3g respectively, then maybe it would be more justified because it would be like buying Aminos + Preworkout in 1 single product, 2 in 1, and therefore, it would be more justified. Also it only has 1 ingredient for Pumps, which is Citrulline Malate, so IMO, it lacks more ingredients and doses of some ingredients included to justify that high price.

SIDE EFFECTS

SUGGESTIONS FOR THE COMPANY

1. Add more ingredients to justify the high price.
2. If you don't want to add more ingredients because you want to keep it simple, then fine, but then double the dose of AminoZorb, D-Ribose and Kre-Alkalyn to 4g, 4g and 3g respectively. Maybe it could take this preworkout to a next level and keeping it "simple".
3. Please solve the huge foam generated.
4. Please also solve the clumps, if you don't do anything about this, sooner or later the product will fail, retailers will lose money because people won't buy it because it's clumped.
5. Disclose the Citrulline Malate ratio (2:1, 1:1, etc).
  • Fruit Punch: 7/10