ROCKET FUEL Reviews

By: Flex Nutrition

ROCKET FUEL is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Flex Nutrition. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

August 11, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Endurance Boost
  • 33 Servings
  • Nice Name
  • D-Ribose
  • Kre-Alkalyn
  • AminoZorb
  • Lot Of Foam
  • Doses Could Be Higher
  • Might Need More Ingredients
  • Clumps

Interesting formula with quality patented technology like AminoZorb and Kre-Alkalyn but it either needs more dose of each of those 2 ingredients and/or the product itself needs more ingredients to be considered in my "elite preworkout" list. However, it will still push you to make good progress in your workout. I invite you to read my suggestions for the company.

INTRODUCTION

Thanks to Flex Nutrition for participating in the SR TROOP program, allowing me to try this interesting preworkout and SupplementReviews for making this connection possible. I love preworkouts, you love preworkouts, we all love preworkouts. And if you don't love them, then you haven't tried one correctly or haven't tried the correct one. I lift from Monday-Friday so I need preworkouts to help me keep pushing and pulling!

INGREDIENT PROFILE

Flex Nutrition explains every ingredient they added here: https://flexnutrition.net/product/rocket-fuel/ so I'll try to put just the 'most popular benefits'.

5g of Citrulline Malate for Increased Pumps, Vascularity, Performance, etc. For more benefits and how it works, read here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/citrulline-malate or read the link at the beginning of this section. We don't know if it's a 2:1 ratio or 1:1 or even if it's more Malic Acid than Citrulline. Unfortunately, the product nor the website say what's the ratio of their Citrulline Malate, it's important to know the ratio. It's a good 'healthy' or 'balanced' dose. 6g or more can sometimes send you to a bathroom trip before working out.

3g of patented Beta Alanine (CarnoSyn) for increased performance, strength, delay fatigue, train for longer time, etc. For more benefits and how it works, read here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/beta-alanine or read the link at the beginning of this section. Very good dose.

2g of D-Ribose: It's involved in the production of ATP (active energy). For more info, check the brand's website at the beginning of this section.

2g AminoZorb which is enzymatic buffered Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine 2:1:1 ratio. The brand's website says: "AminoZorb BCAA patent pending process makes this branch chain completely stable in solution and water soluble." A bit more info about it of the brand owner of the patent: http://allamericanpharmaceutical.com/Docs/AminoZorb/AminoZorb.pdf This ingredient is new to me and to this industry, it's still "patent pending".

1.5g of Kre-Alkalyn. It's Creatine that has been processed to have a "pH" of 12, so it doesn't convert into Creatinine. The Creatine molecules are more stable. I haven't tried this form of Creatine by itself so I can't say if it's more effective than other forms of Creatine. This is the dose used by the product that has this ingredient by itself so I guess it's ok. Considering the price of this product, I would have liked to see more dose though. Check the brand's website at the beginning for more info.

1g of Tyrosine. From NOW L-Tyrosine's product: "L-Tyrosine is an essential amino acid and a precursor of the neurotransmitters dopamine, norepinephrine to help maintain normal and health mental functions and support your mood or well-being. In addition L-Tyrosine may also support healthy adrenal, thyroid and pituitary function. One thing it also does is convert to the thyroid hormone thyroxin. This plays an important role in controlling metabolic rate, not to mention skin health, mental health, and growth rate!" Good dose. The minimum you want to see is 500mg.

325mg of Caffeine for energy, alertness, focus, mood, etc. This dose is high but considering it's the only stimulant in this formula, then I think this high dose is necessary.

I give it a 7.5/10 here. I like the idea they tried to do. They kept it "simple" by the amount of ingredients used but also tried to put some interesting ingredients in here. The problem with that is for example "D-Ribose". Yes, it's involved in ATP production but it's 2g a significant amount? I read any amount can be beneficial but I also read doses above 5g were needed. The AminoZorb is interesting but 2g? :/ dissapointed with that dose because of the price you ask for this product. 1.5g of Kre-Alkalyn seems to be the standard but again, for the price you ask for, you should add more.

TASTE/MIXABILITY/DOSING

TASTE: I received the Fruit Punch flavor. It seems to be the only one available right now. The initial taste isn't so pleasant but as you keep drinking, the taste gets better and better, reminding me of a natural fruit punch flavor. At the end of the flavor and the aftertaste, you will feel it.

MIXABILITY: The bad thing is the huge foam :/ It's not a foam that goes away easily, you have to swirl the liquid as you drink and also let it sit for a couple of minutes. This needs to be fixed. Also, the powder was clumped before opening. It wasn't a big problem because the clumps were not solid but it's still a minor problem that needs to be fixed if you pretend this to be commercialized.

DOSING: 1 scoop 30-45 minutes before working out.

SERVINGS: 33

EFFECTIVENESS

Right now I'm not lifting like before so won't separate this into several sections like I always do. I think the best attribute of this preworkout was the energy and endurance/performance part. Even though Caffeine is the only stimulant, the 325mg did a great job to last the whole workout. The endurance/performance was remarkable, I could easily do combined exercises/supersets although I'm already used to that. The Focus was alright but not outstanding. I'm not lifting for Strength right now so won't judge it so much here. I didn't feel increase on strength. Pump was higher than average but no skin splitting pumps.

So overall, it did a good job, but it's not an elite preworkout. It's in a "higher than average" category.

VALUE

It seems to be only available on the brand's website: https://flexnutrition.net/product/rocket-fuel/ for $49.49. Usually the price the brands have on their website is not the real retail price they expect to sell their product but considering it's the only place available to buy and with that price, I have to judge it based on that price of $49.49. It's too expensive.

Even though putting the Kre-Alkalyn and AminoZorb patented ingredients is expensive, I think the dose included doesn't justify the high price. It's only 2g of AminoZorb BCAA and 1.5g of Kre-Alkalyn. If we were talking about 4g and 3g respectively, then maybe it would be more justified because it would be like buying Aminos + Preworkout in 1 single product, 2 in 1, and therefore, it would be more justified. Also it only has 1 ingredient for Pumps, which is Citrulline Malate, so IMO, it lacks more ingredients and doses of some ingredients included to justify that high price.

SIDE EFFECTS

SUGGESTIONS FOR THE COMPANY

1. Add more ingredients to justify the high price.
2. If you don't want to add more ingredients because you want to keep it simple, then fine, but then double the dose of AminoZorb, D-Ribose and Kre-Alkalyn to 4g, 4g and 3g respectively. Maybe it could take this preworkout to a next level and keeping it "simple".
3. Please solve the huge foam generated.
4. Please also solve the clumps, if you don't do anything about this, sooner or later the product will fail, retailers will lose money because people won't buy it because it's clumped.
5. Disclose the Citrulline Malate ratio (2:1, 1:1, etc).
  • Fruit Punch: 7/10

June 20, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Endurance Boost
  • Doms

Quick Summary & Introduction

Rocket Fuel is a pump oriented PWO but does include caffeine. Taken on training days, while on a volume training regimen. Thanks again SR Troops for providing this full container.

A pretty basic and fully disclosed ingredient profile including:
5000mg of Citrulline Malate, great for the pump
3000mg of Beta Alanine, a great dosing of this, had the tingly feeling
2000mg of D-Ribose, helps with creating new ATP
2000mg of AminoZorb, BCAA's at a 2:1:1, good for muscle recovery
1500mg of Kre-Alkalyn, buffered creatine, good for ATP production, strength and energy
1000mg of Tyrosine, mood and focus enhancer
325 mg of caffeine

All together, this ingredient profile is very similar to that of total war, which was a PWO that I thought worked very well. One thing that I think this PWO could use is another 1000mg of Citrulline Malate. It would make the pump that much more intense, reduce DOMS and would make a better all around PWO.

Taste: I had the fruit punch flavor and I wouldn't say it was anything great, but it was about par. I'll give it an 8/10

Mixability: Never had an issue mixing this fully

Dosing: 1 heeping scoop in 8 oz of water taken 30-45 minutes before workout

I'm gonna give this a 8.5/10 effectiveness. It seemed like a pretty standard PWO to me, granted I've always been a stim junky and this is one of the few pump PWO's I have tried, but I'm also giving it this rating because I felt like I could've gotten more of a pump than I had. I still got a lot of really good pumps and workouts while using this, but what held me back was the amount of skin tight pumps that I would have gotten on previous PWO's I have taken.

Moving forward, the energy levels were upped every time after taking a serving, always ready to kill the next workout. I had a relatively short recovery time in between sets which is huge for someone like me who likes to take short rest times. I didn't notice any increase in strength while using this, but I was able to keep my volume high throughout every workout.

Again, it had my energy levels risen, my recovery period short and my volume high, but it didn't give me the pump I desired and it didn't help too much with DOMS which I was surprised with given the short recovery time, but I guess you can't always have everything.

A hard PWO to find online, but cheapest found at $49.49 for about 33 servings or approximately $1.50/serving

Conclusion

A solid PWO for someone who isn't huge on stimulants but is still looking to get a good pump going.
  • Fruit Punch: 8/10

May 11, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Endurance Boost
  • Not A Good Taste

A decent pre-workout to get your gym ready with a pump, sometimes.

Thank you to Flex Nutrition for another product to try. I've tried some other products done by Flex Nutrition which included great protein powder with some other supplements that were not so great. I believe Flex Nutrition has a lot of potential to make wonderful supplements. They just have a few kinks to work out, but they really do have a good chance at the next level. This was a pre-workout that I would take to get a pump at the gym. It is a decent pre-workout but not the pump I was looking for.

Rocket Fuel ingredients are Citrulline Malate 5000 mg, CarnoSyn Beta Alanine 3000 mg, D-Ribose 2000 mg, AminoZorb 2000 mg (which is enzymatic buffered Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine 2:1:1), Kre-Alkalyn 1500 mg (buffered Creatine), Tyrosine 1000 mg, and Caffeine 325 mg. Citrulline malate is to increase blood flow which can produce nitric oxide. Nitric oxide causes widening of the blood vessels during your workout. Beta-Alanine has many benefits like it can boost muscular strength and power, increases muscle mass, increase endurance and will help you train harder and longer. Ribose is like sugar produced by the body so it can improve athletic performance and energy with the ability to improve fatigue. There are two products buffered. Buffering here is when the items resist change when added to other items. The Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine, or Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs), is buffered to keep them from breaking down or changing. BCAA can promote muscle protein synthesis and increase muscle growth. The other buffered item, creatine, is also resisting change. There are many benefits of creatine such as helping muscle cells, producing energy, speed up muscle growth, and improve exercise. Tyrosine is to help with brain function, increase focus, and helps performance, even during stress. Caffeine is for energy. All the ingredients in Rocket Fuel are good and found in other pre-workout or pump supplements. These ingredients a fine and I give it a high-ranking.

I was able to get this in fruit punch and found there were no other flavor options. The taste was OK. It was not what I would call fruity like you would get with a normal fruit punch mix, but still a good flavor with some fruit punch taste. The mixability was a little off. One of the problems when I started taking Rocket Fuel is the first half of the tub was in huge chunks which made it hard to scope and to get the right dosing because it would not break down enough for the scooper. Once I got to the halfway point of the tub, no issues with scooping. Since the first part was in huge chunks, I had to put the scooper in woth the handle pushed down so I could close the lid but that is a very small problem, just wanted to mention it. I also had little chunks of the pre-workout the didn't mix well. I would shake it for about 10 to 20 seconds but never really got it to break down fully. What I started to do was let it sit for a few minutes and then shake it again, which would help sometimes. The dosing was one scoop 30-45 minutes before a workout with 8 to 12 oz of water, which was fine. Altogether, this was nothing bad, but nothing great, so I give it a middle ranking.

I think the effectiveness was alright. When I normally take my pre-workout, I take it on the way to the gym which is only about 5-10 minutes away. I do this because my workouts usually takes 1.5 hours with the last 45 minutes being cardio and I want to make sure there is enough energy toward the end of the workout. Since cardio is at the end and I want to keep up my current running speed, I do not want to get tired so if I take it just a little before the workout, I will get that necessary energy at the end. When taking it about 5-10 minutes before the workout, I would feel a bit of a boost in energy but nothing that you would get in a stimulant pre-workout. I never really felt much of a pump but I did feel Rocket Fuel was doing what it should do. I've tried some other pumps in the past where you will start to fill the pump in your arms and other areas but this one failed for me until I changed things up. After a few weeks of not getting a pump, I started taking Rocket Fuel 30-45 minutes before workouts which helped me get the tingle and the sometimes pump I was looking for. I am not saying I got it every time once making the change, but I did get more pumps than before. I am not for sure how you handle a pre-workout but I prefer taking mine 5-10 minutes before workout and have had success with that and get what I need. Regardless of how you take your pre-workout and how many pumps you got, this does not make a pre-workout pump ineffective. Some just want to get that pump now and then or some want it every time. In the end, we just want a pump and know when we can get it. I give this a high to middle ranking since I did get a pump sometimes.

I was able to find this on the Flex Nutrition company website, which was easy to find. You get 33 servings for $50. This is a little high for me when it comes to a pre-workouts because there is a lot of options on the market. This works out to a $1.52 per serving and I usually spend about $25-$35 for 30 servings. The pump pre-workouts can run a little higher but the Rocket Fuel is too high for me. I'm not saying this is too high to buy but more than I would like to spend. I give this a low to middle rating.

Side Effects

No side effects

Conclusion

Rocket Fuel is not a bad supplement but not great either. I give this a middle ranking. The ingredients were good. The taste, mixability, and dosing were a little off but nothing that would drive me from not using it again. It was effective at times but it was not the pump I was looking for in my pre-workout. The value is low due to the cost being higher than necessary. Side effects were not an issue. Like I said earlier, I have really liked some of the Flex Nutrition products. If the product changes a little, they can have a great future.
  • Fruit Punch: 7/10

April 30, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Endurance Boost
  • Great Pumps
  • Not A Good Taste

Rocket Fuel will get the job done and give you great energy, pump, and endurance. However, the price tag is a bit steep for a pre workout.

A special thanks to Flex Nutrition for their participation here on SR.com. Today, I discuss my experiences with their pre workout Rocket Fuel. I am no stranger to pre workouts and have used them on and off for years since the old days where the original pwo juggernauts were dominant. While those days have long passed, the market still has quite a few good ones to get the job done. I look primarily for energy, pump, focus, and endurance with pre workouts.

So let's see how Rocket Fuel stand out.

The profile is fully disclosed and is a bit simpler than most pre workouts I've used.

One scoop provides 5g of Citrulline Malate, 3g of Beta Alanine, 2g of Buffered BCAAs, 1.5g of Kre-Alkalyn (a buffered form of creatine), 1g of Tyrosine, and 325mg of Caffeine.

A simple, but solid well dosed profile. All of these ingredients we've seen more than enough times so I don't think I need to go over any. It was cool to see kre-alkalyn in a pre workout since I haven't seen or used kre-alkalyn in a pre workout. I personally think it is a more preferable form of creatine to take primarily pre workout since it has far less water retention and seems to work faster in my experience.

Fruit punch is currently the only flavor available. I personally was not a fan. It was over tart and had little fruitiness if any. It wasn't unbearable, but not overly likable either.

Provided you use enough water as directed, it mixes just fine.

Dosing is your standard pre workout protocol. Flex nutrition advises taking a scoop 30-45 before your workout. For me, I dosed it a little closer and took it 20 minutes before my workout. Note that I added additional beta alanine from Nutrabio totaling the beta alanine content to 5g.

I'm gonna use my typical categorical method that I use most often for pre workouts.

Energy (8/10): I was actually surprised by how good the energy was considering the more conservative profile. It wasn't any cracked out, speed high feeling, but the energy was strong, clean, long lasting, and no crash at the end. I had no problem punishing the iron each and every workout.

Focus (6/10): Apparently, L-tyrosine itself is not enough for me to have a significantly strong nootropic effect. Nonetheless, I did still have an okay improvement in focus. I had the typical increased mental clarity and higher concentration.

Pump (8.5/10): This was Rocket Fuel's biggest hit on the mark. The pump effect was incredible thanks mostly to the citrulline malate, kre-alkalyn, and D-ribose. Probably would've been killer with agmatine, during my high volume sets among other movements I had a significant swole feeling in all trained muscle groups and fuller muscle fiber feeling. Improved vascularity was noticeable mostly in my arms,, shoulders, quads, upper back, and chest.

Endurance (7/10): Along with the extra beta alanine and the other ingredients like the D-ribose and citrulline, I did have a notable reduction in my fatigue. I managed more reps with all sets and movements, both compound and isolation, and was able to recover between sets faster. Cardio and boxing sessions were also more intense.

The product is not widely available. A 33-serving tub will cost 49.49 from Flex's direct website. Honetsly, that's too pretty a penny in my opinion for a pre workout. It was highly effective, but I don't see it being worthy of a continuous investment at that price. If the price were to come down, then I would be more inclined to recommend it.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Rocket Fuel is a great pre workout that will hit all the landmarks including great energy, improved endurance, some focus improvement, and awesome pump.

However, until the price tag comes down, I strongly recommend investing in the product sparingly.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO BRUINS!!!
  • Fruit Punch: 6/10

March 17, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Pumps
  • Endurance Boost

What is going on guys? I've got a pump/pre-workout review for you today. As always I'd like to thank SR and everyone at flex nutrition for making this review possible. The name of this product is the big eye catcher here. How can you not be intrigued by a pre-workout type of product called rocket fuel??

1 serving = 1 HEAPING scoop
5g- Citrulline Malate
3g- Carnosyn Beta Alanine
2g- Aminozorb (Buffered BCAA)
1.5g- Kre-Alkalyn (Buffered Creatine)
1g- Tyrosine
325mg- Caffeine

This is a pretty dang solid profile for a pre-workout primarily made for pumps. 5g of Citrulline Malate is right under the clinical dose of 6g for the most optimal results so you can assume that you're gonna get some good vascularity from just this acid. 3g of Beta-Alanine is also just a hair under the clinical dose of 3.2g. This strengthens your endurance allowing you to train longer and harder than before. This is from the company's website, "AminoZorb BCAA patent pending process makes this branch chain completely stable in solution and water soluble. AminoZorb BCAA 2:1:1 is the most powerful and satisfying muscle building/extreme performance formula available!" I'm a big believer in BCAA's in general so I like seeing a unique blend of them on the label. Kre-Alkalyn is a good addition if you're already taking creatine on a daily basis. It's underdosed so I'll be taking my monohydrate alongside it for maximum results and strength gains. The caffeine is the perfect ' slap in the face' for me personally. It's just enough enegrry to jumptart my workout but not enough to make me feel sick or crash later.

Taste: Fruit punch, I forced it down every time. To be fair, I don't like fruit punch flavors to begin with so I'm not the best judge on this flavor. It wasn't terrible but I just didn't like it.
Mixibility: Very easy, mixed every time in 8 ounces of water with a standard shaker bottle.
Dosage: 1 serving 20 mins pre-workout was my sweet spot. I wouldn't take any more or any less.

This product is advertised as a pump product. The vascularity was veryyyyyyy good. My arms looked like they had tree roots shooting out of them. I never had a bad pump while using this product. The Beta-alanine was extremely effective at increasing my endurance. I was able to cram in extra sets at the very end of my workout when I should've been gassed out. I really enjoyed using this product because even though is retailed as a pump product I think that it is a great all around pre-workout. My energy levels were also at their optimal peak. The caffeine really got me going (and I'm a coffee junkie so that's saying something).

This is my lone knock on the product. No matter where you look this product is $49.95 ($1.51 per serving). I'm not the kind of person to spend $50 on a pre-workout in general and this is no exception.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This was a really fun product to use and I saw results with it, but unfortunately, the price tag is just higher than I'm looking to pay.