FLEX - O - MEGA Reviews

By: Flex Nutrition

FLEX - O - MEGA is an Essential Fatty Acid manufactured by Flex Nutrition. It contains fats that must be obtained through diet. They serve a wide array of critical roles including cardiovascular, mental and joint health.

June 29, 2018

• High-Concentration Of Omega-3s
  • Non-GMO
  • Joint Support
  • Skin Health Improvement
  • Probably A Synthetic Ester

As a staple in many dietary regimens fish oil is a great supplement to use with many benefits. Flex Nutrition Flex-O-Mega is an excellent fish oil supplement that truly delivers what you want in good, simple fish oil.

As usual, a specila thanks to Flexd Nutrition for their participation here on SR.com. Also, an apology as this review is overdue by a few days. Today, I discuss my experiences with their fish oil supplement Flex-O-Mega. Fish oil is a mainstay stpale in my diet. I find it to have many benefits to my body as a whole. For the most part, I primarily enjoy the joint and skin benefits. However, fish oil has also been demonstrated to support other areas of the body such as cardiovascular, eyes, and brain health. Furthermore, fish oil has also been shown to help manage healthy blood glucose levels and and support weight loss.

The profile contains omega-3 fatty acid sources derived from herring, anchovy, slamon, and sardine.

Each single capsule serving provides 1,000mg of omega-3 fatty acids categorized as individual dosages of the two main types: EPA and DHA

Each capsule provides 400mg of EPA and 300mg of DHA. I am not sure where the remaining 300mg are derived from, which is a little unsettling, but not an huge a issue.

Taste/Dosing

While taste doesn't apply to a capsule form product, I will note that I did NOT experience any fishy burps or aftertastes after ingesting the capsules.

I always take fish oil capsules with food since the fatty acids also aid in the absorption of several fat soluble vitamins an minerals. Furthermore, taking fish oil with meals will help prevent both burps and aftertaste should one experience them on occasion. Since I currently incorporate plenty of additional dietary sources of omega-3 such as fish itself, eggs, flax seeds, and nuts, I felt that 3 caps (3,000mg) was sufficient enough. Therefore, I spread three caps through the day and took each one with a meal.

As I said already, fish oil has a handful of benefits that influence several systems in the body. Thankfully, I don't suffer from any heart conditions, diabetes, cholesterol issues, or mental issues related to brain disorders. Also, I don't have any family history of any such disorders. So I cannot primarily comment on those benefits. However, like anyone serious about their general health, I want to keep it that way and I think supplementing with fish oil plays a crucial beneficial role in that.

The benefits I am most concerned with are joint support and skin health.

Flex-O-Mega helped give my joints very good support as I was not experiencing any typical joint pain or rigidity that I would sometimes experience with intensive training. My elbow and knees in particular were no longer bothering me to any critical degree and I was able to perform heavy compound sets and isolation movements more frequently with less pain and better ROM with less stiffness.

My skin also looked notably better as I was not experiencing any acne breakouts and existing ones were resolving quicker with less post-inflammation. Also, I had better tone and elasticity to my skin overall. Some pre existing pock marks that I had on my face also looked less prevalent.

As of now, Flex-O-Mega is only available on Flex NUtritions own website for 22.22 for a 120 count bottle. If you were to follow a 3 cap serving such as I did and other reviewers before have suggested, that's almost 60 cents a day when rounded to the nearest tenth whole number. I think that is a very good value for a high quality fish oil supplement that will last at least a little over a month. Many generic supplements of lower quality run around the same price even for higher serving count.

Side Effects

If you take the caps with meals and keep track of omega-3 sources from dietary intake, side effects like burps and aftertaste should most likely not occur. I had no side effects thanks to this protocol.

Conclusion

If you enjoy the benefits of fish oil and have made it a staple in your diet, Flex Nutrition Flex-O-Mega is a high quality fish oil supplement that will provide all the goodness of fish oil at a very good price. Be sure to use it with meals and a well balanced diet and training regimen.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO RED SOX!!!

June 1, 2018

• Moderate Memory Support
  • Minor Joint Support
  • Mysterious 300mg Of Something

An average Fish Oil product, that can aid you as needed. Decently priced and effective, this is worth a shot.

38 years old, recovering from total reconstruction surgery on my left ankle, but finally back in the gym! I keep a Fish Oil in my daily stack due to its many benefits, but for me its there to aid in memory. When I saw this opportunity from Flex Nutrition it looked good and I wanted to give it a shot to see what the company is all about. Big thank you to SR and Flex Nutrition for making this review possible, I always do appreciate it! Lets see if this aided my flexing coming off surgery.

Pretty simple, each tablet will get you 1,000mg of Fish Oil, 400mg of EPA and 300mg DHA. Assuming the missing 300mg is some other form of Fish oil since it is not listed in the profile, this is common to see in a Fish Oil profile but does irritate me when the type of omega 3 is not listed. I like that this comes out to 1g as my doctor recently told me to get at least 3g of Fish oil daily due to low LDL levels, so it was easy to do the math here and take 3 pills daily. If you did not know EPA helps lessen inflammation in the body, while DHA is essential for brain health and function. All in all simple profile.

Taste: No taste to talk about as these are pills.

Mixability: Easy to swallow pills with a Gelatin coating, so no problems there.

Dosing: I started off taking 1 pill 2 times a day, but after talking with my doctor I moved to 3 pills in the morning with breakfast all at once. Dose this accordingly to meet your daily Omega 3 needs and really as you see fit.

A lot of reviews of Fish Oil concentrates on the Joint Support which is fine, but the main reason I take Fish Oil is for the memory support. There are numerous benefits depending on which article you read of Omega 3's but the big ones are Joint, Memory, and Heart Support. As far as Joint Support goes, when taking 1 pill twice a day, I did not feel much of it. When I switched to taking 3 pills with breakfast daily, I did notice a minor increase in my joints, but not enough to rely solely on this product to keep all my aches and pains at bay. That is fair as I was recently told you need to be on a Fish Oil for 90 days straight before the joint support benefits really kick in.

More importantly I gauge my Fish Oil on the memory support. I have had six TBIs in my 19 year Army career so my memory is not what it used to be. Typically I misplace words in a conversation so if I mean to say "put the dishes in the dishwasher" i tend to say "put the dishes in the washing machine." Plus my short term memory is not so great either but placebo or not I have had fish oils in the past really help me out here. Flex O-Mega did an okay job, it kept my memory at a decent level, so I would say moderate support. Not enough to make me pick this as my Fish Oil of choice, but the benefits were there.

Overall, there are benefits here and I think depending on why you take Fish Oil is what you will see in terms of benefits. Decent product here.

I could only find this for sale on Flex Nutritions site for 22.22 for 120 softgels. If you take 3 a day like I did this comes out to 56 cents a day. While its not the best price, I think its a fair and decent price for what you are getting here. There is some effectiveness so the value makes sense, so I would call this an average valued product.

Side Effects

Nothing. However if you take this too far apart from eating you will have the Fish burps. Taken with food this was not an issue.

Conclusion

An average Fish Oil product in my eyes. I easily recommend this since most people that take Fish Oil do not suffer from the extreme issues that I have. Fair price and easy to dose as needed, so we have a decent product here. If Flex Nutrition really wanted to make this product stand out, get it 3rd party tested at Labdoor or somewhere respectable. I feel this is important for Fish oil products and really does show that a company is willing to go the extra mile. The best success I have had on Fish Oil products are those rated highly on Labdoor and I do not believe that is a coincidence. Just food for thought guys!!

June 1, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • More EPA Than DHA
  • Reduces Inflammation
  • High-Concentration Of Omega-3s
  • A Little Pricey
  • No Coating

Flex-O-Mega is a solid high concentration fish oil competitor. Packing a solid 700mg of Omega-3 fatty acids (400:300 EPA:DHA ratio), it actually just edges out some similar products from well established brands like NOW that contain a more common 360:240 EPA:DHA ratio (600mg). However, there are a few competitors out there that add a little extra, whether it be Vitamin D or enteric/flavored coatings, and as a result they just edge out Flex-O-Mega but it is still a competitive product I would highly recommend.

I have been trying to take my supplementation a bit more seriously and part of that has been staying consistent with a high-concentration fish oil. I typically use fish oil for its neuro and cardio-protective benefits but after starting arimistane, it became even more important for joint health. Flex-O-Mega looked to be just the right product at the right time for me so I was all too happy to pull the trigger on the claiming it.

9.0/10
Flex-O-Mega is a rather simplistic fish oil formula, as it should be. Each softgel contains 1 gram of fish oil, of which there are 700mg of Omega-3 fatty acids at a 4:3 EPA:DHA ratio. This is a better concentration than most competitors. It is more common to see a 3:2 EPA:DHA ratio (360mg:240mg) per softgel so you're getting an extra 100mg of Omega-3s here. That's not much but it adds up if you take 3+ softgels a day.

Personally, I like to see a high dosage of both of these fatty acids as they both have a myriad of benefits. I'm not well-versed enough in the benefits of each to nail down some golden ratio so instead I subscribe to the "more is better" philosophy in regards to both; Flex-O-Mega's 700mg fits with this philosophy perfectly. Some products standardize for higher EPA concentrations to help more with inflammation and others have more DHA to emphasize neuro-protective benefits. Please note that this is a very simplistic and rudimentary summary of the difference in EPA and DHA as each fatty acid has many more, often overlapping, benefits. That being said, a product with "flex" in the name should have a greater EPA concentration, and Flex-O-Mega passes that basic test with 100mg EPA than DHA.

The only downside to this profile is the lack of some sort of enteric or flavored coating. In laymen's terms that means there will be fishy burps when taken without food. I recently discovered that Vitacost uses a "natural strawberry flavor" coating on their Synergy Mega EFA and while that's certainly a nice addition, it seems to be rather rare whereas enteric coatings are more common. A similar flavored coating would give Flex-O-Mega the perfect profile in my mind but even an enteric coating would boost it to 10/10.

There was no taste nor aftertaste this product. Mixability is inapplicable as a softgel so I will substitute for ease-of-taking. Being skinny medium-sized softgels, these were easy and pain-free to take. I dosed this at 3-4 capsules a day split between two meals, one of which was always lunch. I never experienced fishy burps but I also attribute that to this dosing schedule.

9.0/10
This is a bit tricky for me to rate. I felt about the same as I had when I was taking 2 softgels of Vitacost's Syngergy Mega EFA, which has a lower EPA:DHA ratio and overall Omega-3 concentration. Many of the benefits to taking Omega-3s are not something immediately felt nor something of which you can be aware. Basic science and logic tells me that more Omega-3s means more of these benefits, even if I couldn't consciously feel the difference. Being one of the highest concentrated fish oils (per softgel) that I have seen on the market, this scores high marks in this regard from me. The one thing you can notice (and I did), however, is joint relief. This really became noticeable after starting arimistane.

Before taking arimistane, I noticed a slight improvement in my joint health (i.e. reduction in joint discomfort) from a few weeks of Flex-O-Mega but nothing to write home about. Yet, once the arimistane kicked in, my joints felt like they were going to snap in half just from walking. Although I didn't run Flex-O-Mega during my entire arimistane run (I'm still at it), I noticed that as soon as I finished it and tried to revert back to Synergy Mega EFA, my joint pain got even worse. Granted, some of that was because arimistane takes time to kick into full gear. While I probably would have upped my dose by 2 caps as the arimistane kicked into full gear, I fully believe that I just didn't need as many softgels to get the job (reducing joint pain) done. In fact, I am currently taking almost twice as many Synergy Mega EFA softgels as I was Flex-O-Mega caps. In short, the higher concentration of Omega-3s (especially EPA) found in Flex-O-Mega means you can take less softgels and still get the well-known benefits of fish oil supplementation.

8.0/10
This is currently only available at Flex Nutrition's site for $22.22 for 120 softgels. That's $0.185 a softgel. In comparison, my current fish oil is from Nutricost and a 240 softgel container can be had for $14.95, which breaks down to $0.062 a softgel. Now Nutricost uses the more common 3:2 EPA:DHA ratio and only has 600mg of Omega-3s per softgel so a slightly fairer comparison would take this into account (even fairer would be a breakdown on the EPA and DHA levels but I think you get the point). Thankfully, I can do some basic math. Flex-O-Mega gives you 84 grams of Omega-3s per container; that's $0.265 per gram. Nutricost's product gives you 144 grams of Omega-3s per container; that's $0.104 per gram. In other words, Flex-O-Mega is about 15 cents more per gram of Omega-3s than the best priced fish oil product I've yet to find. That's very impressive, especially considering they are not using the "bulk, no-frills products" business model that Nutricost does. That being said, competitors like NOW's Super EPA offer 120 softgels for $15, albeit at the 3:2 ratio. Similarly Vitacost one-ups NOW with a 240 softgel container (with strawberry flavoring) for $22. In my mind, Nutricost's competing product would be a 10/10 for value and these better priced competitors fill in the space between 8.0-10.0. In other words, Flex-O-Mega is fairly priced, but your wallet is probably better off just taking another softgel or two of a competitor.

Side Effects

I didn't experience any side effects while taking Flex-O-Mega. I notably did not experience fishy burps but I suspect that I would have had I taken it without food.

Conclusion

8.5/10
I get an 8.5/10 by averaging the Ingredient Profile, Effectiveness, and Value sections which gives a 8.67 and then rounding down to account for the greater weight of the volume section. I believe that value matters a bit more with products like fish oil as opposed to things like pre-workout. Put simply, all fish oil should work the same so its more about 1) taking less softgels to get the same effects and 2) getting the most for your money. While, Flex-O-Mega may be the best in the first category, it has some work to do in the second. Still, Flex-O-Mega is a great product and it is priced fairly enough that it is at least worth a try.

May 21, 2018

Quick thank you to Flex Nutrition for the opportunity and for the SR Troops as well! Absolutely loved this product!

I have been on and off on fish oil as I never saw significant effects. But I started experiencing randomn joint pains and I just so happened to have this in hand at the same time and man.... let me tell you this tough rocks! Helped with my joint pain a good amount and it is just good for overall health!

Here we are looking at just 10 calories, 400mg EPA and 300mg DHA.

For my case I took 2-3 capsules. But most people will be ok with just 1 daily to reach the recommended dosage with most Fish Oils. With this product it is recommended to take 2 capsules/day.

2 capsules a day. No side effects at all. Easy to take as they are the coated softgels. Just take it down the chute and that's it. I did have some fish burps every now and then but it was never an everyday thing. I took them every morning with breakfast.

Like I said I did notice an improvement with my joint issue nothing like a miracle but it did help with some of the pain. It was mostly my right elbow that would give me problems during my workouts but after taking the fish oil it helped with the pain. Other than that I had no other joint pain to report. I was already in good overall health to begin with other than the joint issue. But I still liked this product as I could tell it was working.

I looked around and looks like you can get 120 softgels for $22. Which is a good deal in my book. A little more than some fish oils but you get good quality out of it.

Side Effects

Some fish burps but other than that nothing else to report.

Conclusion

This product is excellent if you are missing some omega 3 fattys in your diet and are also looking to relieve some joint health. It did a great job at keeping my joints from creeking and I felt more confident at the gym as I did not feel like I was gonna break my elbow doing certain things. Would definitely recommend this!

May 17, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduces Inflammation
  • Non-GMO
  • Probably A Synthetic Ester

This was a great fish oil product. It helped with my joint pain. I had no fish burps, and it's very affordable. I recommend.

I'm a competing powerlifter, and I train five days a week. I'm a big fan of fish oil, for general health, and for joint support. I'm doing a high frequency routine right now (benching five days a week), and sometimes my shoulders and elbows get a little wonky. I wanted to try Flex O-Mega to see if it would help.

In one softgel, we have:

10 calories (1g fat), 400mg EPA and 300mg DHA.

For general health, you want 250-500mg EPA/DHA per day, so one softgel will do it for most people. If you have certain risk factors, you may want 1-2g EPA/DHA (2-3 softgels). Gym bros will often take 2-3g EPA/DHA a day (3-4 softgels).

It does do not say what kind of fish oil is used, whether it is a natural triglyceride or a synthetic ester. I prefer natural triglycerides as they are more bioavailable, but they are also more expensive, so I have to assume (unless stated otherwise) that we have a synthetic ester here. This would be a reason to take 2 softgels/day instead of just one.

The fish used are herring, anchovy, sardine, and salmon. You want smaller fish to as the fish oil source as they tend to have fewer contaminants in them.

The capsule comes from bovine.

I keep my fish oil in the freezer. They had no taste, and I got no fish burps from them.

There's no mixability here.

I took two softgels a day, and I took them with breakfast. You want to take fish oil with other fat to help with the absorption

I'm in pretty good health, so what I was really looking for with this product was joint support/pain relief.

I found Flex O-mega to be very helpful on that front. I workout before breakfast, so sometimes I'd have shoulder or elbow pain before I took the fish oil. Within an hour or so of taking it, the pain would be gone.

I didn't have joint pain every workout day, but when I did have it, it always went away after I took the Flex Omega.

You can get 1 bottle (120 softgels) for $22.22 if you buy it direct. This is a pretty fair deal. It's a bit more than Oximega (about $18/bottle), but you're getting more EPA/DHA than Oximega, so I think the bump in price is reasonable.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This was a pretty solid fish oil. I got good results from it, and at this price, I would recommend it.

April 10, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • More EPA Than DHA
  • Reduces Inflammation
  • Mysterious 300mg Of Something

Fatty acids are an essential component to any supplement regiment. The benefits are far reaching, but not all fatty acid supplements are created equal. Flex Nutrition has delivered a new fish oil option to the market with mostly-transparent labeling to show the ratios of EPA and DHA fatty acids and giving the consumer insight to the benefits before they've even taken their first dose.

"Dude this fish oil had me so jacked up I was hitting new PRs every day of the month!" --said no one ever...

Fish oil might not be the most exciting component of your stack, but it could very well be the most important. The benefits of fatty acid supplementation are abundant. They can lower LDL cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, help the heart maintain a healthy rhythm, reduce inflammation, provide cognitive support, improve your skin and hair, ensure eye health, assist in fertility, even aid in weight loss! However, like all things- too much can become a bad thing. High doses of fish oil can increase your risk of bleeding.

Thanks to Flex Nutrition for participating on SR and allowing me an opportunity to give this stuff a try. Let's see how they did!

Flex Nutrition provides a semi-transparent label that separates the measurements of DHA & EPA fatty acids. I'll get into the benefits of each later on. Overall you have 1,000mg of fish oil per pill, with 400mg of EPA and 300mg of DHA. There is another 300mg that is mysteriously undisclosed. If it were DPA, a third fatty acid, I would assume flex would want to disclose that. I'm not sure what else it could be, but it seems strange to me that the remaining 300mg aren't even mentioned.

No taste (of after taste)
No mixing
Dosing was recommended at 1-2 softgels daily. I actually took 3 softgels before bed each night.

Fish oil can be used in different ways, and this is where the separation of fatty acid types becomes important. For my purposes, I want a fish oil that will help me most with inflammation. In order to accomplish this, I want a fish oil that has more EPA or DPA than DHA. EPA and DPA are the more effective source to reducing inflammation and if the levels of EPA/DPA don't exceed the levels of DHA you won't notice that reduction in inflammation because of interactions of DHA with your body's inflammatory causing/blocking enzymes.

Flex definitely provides 100mg more EPA than DHA according to the label, and possibly even more DPA in an undisclosed amount-- not sure.

In any case, I did notice a nice reduction in joint pain while taking this. It wasn't a miracle cure, I have been frustrated with knee soreness for about half of my run with this, but that knee soreness is my own doing and my shoulders that normally bother me have felt very good. Initial shoulder soreness that I thought was joint-related early on in starting this I later determined to be muscle tightness that I was able to roll out. Once alleviated, there was a remarkable difference.

The DHA component of fish oils is responsible for the benefits like reducing LDL cholesterol and blood pressure. It is a larger chain than EPA and is a more effective mover of stuff like plaque that gets built up in our arteries. It's also a more effective component for eye and cognitive health.

While the latter benefits are more difficult (read impossible) to determine than whether or not my joints hurt, Flex's mostly transparent labeling bestowed confidence that I was receiving a full array of benefits from this fish oil offering.

Flex O-Mega can be found at flexnutrition.net on sale for $22.22. Currently that's the only listing I can find. Each bottle has 120 pills, which results in 60 servings if taken according to the directions, or 40 servings if taken as I did. Either way this is a good value. It isn't the cheapest option on the market, but it's a high quality, non-gmo option for about $0.37/serving at 2 pills daily. I probably wouldn't seek this out to purchase on its own, but Flex seems to have had good feedback on all of the products they've posted here and it would be a good add-on when ordering their PWO, protein, etc., especially considering their deal for free shipping on orders over $99!

Side Effects

Nada

Conclusion

Overall, I'm very happy with this fish oil and would recommend it to anyone as an affordable, well-rationed option. I'd like to know what the remaining 300mg of the pill is comprised of, but I am glad to at least know how much EPA I'm taking in from each serving. Flex is doing a great job "Earn[ing] [their] reputation" on SR and I look forward to seeing new developments from them!