Mighty Muffin Reviews

By: Flapjacked

Protein > Other Protein
Mighty Muffin is an Alternative Protein Supplement manufactured by Flapjacked. It provides additional dietary proteins that can increase lean muscle tissue and increase fat loss.

Overall
Overall
  April 23, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Easy To Digest
  • Easy On The Macros
  • The Double Chocolate Was Dry
  • Can Be Hard To Mix

I'm a competing powerlifter, and I just finished my cut, so I'll be maintaining until my next meet. I go through a lot of protein shakes, bars, and other protein products, so I'm always on the look for something new to try

Mighty Muffins are high in protein, high fiber, gluten free, non GMO, and have probiotics added in to make them easy on the digestive system. The ingredients may vary a bit depending on the flavor, but the basic formula includes oat flower, whey isolate and pea protein, sugar, butter, corn starch, baking powder/soda, xantham gum, and the probiotic blend.

I don't see any cause for concern in the ingredients list unless you have allergies.

Taste
I went through a box of the maple pumkin muffins and I've tried most of the other flavors. The only ones I haven't tried are the peanut butter and the chocolate peanut butter.

The maple pumpkin I'd have to give a 6.5/10. They tasted okay, but I did not get a taste of maple or a taste of pumpkin. They had this strong grain flavor that I thought was bran, but bran is not in the ingredients list. I even tried adding canned pumpkin to the muffins and I still couldn't get a taste of pumpkin. There was just something that was Bran like.

The apple cinnamon was the best flavor I had. I went through several singles, and I'd give it an 8/10. The apple and cinnamon flavor were both there and there was no "bran taste."

The Smores was bad 5/10. They looked promising as I saw plenty of marshmallows and chocolate bits, but they tasted like stale graham flour.

Double Chocolate 6.5/10. They tasted like chocolate, but I had to take a point off as they were terribly dry compared to the other flavors. Perhaps it would be better if you add more milk or cook it less. I don't know why it was drier than the others.

Mixability 7/10

So to make these you add 1/4 cup of water or milk and then microwave it (the time varies based on the power of the microwave). Mixability shouldn't really be an issue, but it's surprisingly hard to mix in all of the muffin powder with the milk. Usually, I end up with some undissolved powder that got stuck in the edges of the muffin cup. The best way to make these is to dump the powder into a mug and mix it in there. Kind of takes away the convenience factor if you want to stash these at work, but I have no mixing problems with a mug

Dose

Each muffin is 20g protein, 5g fiber, and around 210-220 calories. Perfect for a snack, and if you mix it with milk (or greek yogurt) instead of water, you can get some more protein in there. I wouldn't call a muffin a meal (unless you're on a poverty cut), but it could be the base of a meal. Add a scoop of ice cream and you have a great pre-bed snack.

In the context of a balanced diet, protein is protein so it's hard to say how effective it was. I can say though that it delivered on its promise on being easy to digest. I must have had at least 2 dozen of these and I've never felt any discomfort or stomach issues. I also used them as a pre-bed snack during my high volume phase and my recovery went well at that time. That's not dispositive of course, but I think these muffins had a positive effect on my diet

These were $3-4 for singles in the local grocery store and are around $35 for a box of 12 online (the cheapest I'd seen them was for $32). I think these prices are fair. They cost a bit more than a protein bar w/ similar macros, but I find them more pleasant to eat and if I were to go out and buy a muffin at a cafe or something, I'd pay the same amount or more for a product that would be a lot harder to fit into my macros.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you have a sweet tooth like me, then I'd give these a shot. I would, though, recommend trying out a single if you can before committing to a whole box. I wouldn't want to pay over $30 and then realize I didn't like the flavor I bought. If you can find a variety pack though, that would be great.
  • Apple Cinnamon: 8/10
  • Smores: 5/10
  • Double Chocolate: 7/10
  • Maple Pumpkin: 6/10

• smashley23
    May 8, 2017

I just tried the peanut butter today. It was pretty good, 7.5. It had peanut butter chips, which melted nicely, but I think it could have used a little bit more peanut butter flavor- maybe some powdered peanut butter in the mix (or more of it if it was there). No issues with dryness.