Ranks #1 (better than 100%)
In: Other Products > Accessories

Fat Gripz is a Workout Accessory manufactured by Fat Gripz. It is designed to be used in conjunction with your workout routine to assist with specific exercises or goals.

Other Products > Accessories

February 8, 2017

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)
The person who gave me Fat Gripz actually also introdeuced me to this site. Fat gripz are an easy and light weight product that you can carry around in your gym bag.

Easy to carry I guess that falls under this category

Very effective After i started using them I noticed that I was able to catch a football a lot better and my forearm muscles got bigger. Another huge plus is my deadlift and bench were able to improve a little due to the fact that I was able to grab the bar with a lot more strength and power. Even if you have to do less weight then you would normally do when curling, if you add these onto the dumbbell, and or barbell, its worth doing less weight but the same amount of reps. I have been using fat grips for almost 4-5 years now, and I see them more and more frequently in the gym I go to. When I went away to play college football they were in the weight rom and we used them quite often as well. Sometimes towards the ned of a chest day, I will put them on the bench and do a run out set with these on the bench and it was a lot harder then normal.

The value of fat grips is a great steal. I got mine for free as a gift on Christmas one year, but after looking up various prices online these are a great deal. Fat Gripz aren't like supplements, where you have to keep buying them once you run out, because they never will run out. The only way you would to buy new ones is if you lose them, or set them on fire.

Side Effects

Conclusion

All in all the fat gripz is an excellent buy for anyone that is going to the gym and looking to improve grip strength and build fore arm muscles. I usually use them in 2 week cycles on and off and that is when they are most effective

Advertisement:
    Members don't see ads: Join SR for Free

September 26, 2015

I found this product online when I was looking to enhance my training. I found that thick bars reduce the strain on your wrists and elbows. Thick bars also claim that more muscle activation equals more muscle growth. However thick bars are expensive and are non extinct in local/commercial gyms. Fat Gripz was the solution.

Material A+
    There are no "ingredients" in this product. However I will comment on the material. It is made from a rubber-like military-grade high-density compound. These Fat Gripz are very durable. After many times from removing them from bars or DBs, the product is able to maintain the shape. This is high quality material and I have no doubt these will last me years to come.

Usage A
    Fat Gripz can essentially be used on anything. They slip on easily to anything. But after trial and error, the best exercises to use this product with is the bench press, deadlift, lat pulldown, rows, DB curls, tricep skullcrushers or push down. These work best on back, shoulder, chest, and arm day. Using these when squatting would be 1) stupid but 2) non effective. A negative is that it does not fit on my powerblocks. It is a tad to long.

Effectiveness A+
    They really do work. It will take awhile to get used to using this product. On every exercise, you can really feel the activation in other muscles as well as your forearms. I have noticed a great increase in grip strength and how my forearms look. I can grip things better especially on lat pulldowns. Lat pulldowns were the most difficult exercise for me since I lacked grip strength. I would always quit in between sets because my forearms would burn. Now I don't feel the burn and I can train more effectively. Before I used fat gripz, my forearms looked small, almost toothpick small. After a few months of using this, I saw more thickness to my forearms.

Value A+
    I bought this during a sale. Normally these cost $35-40 I believe. However they were doing a promotion that day, and I got mine for $28. This is much cheaper than going out and buying a thick bar and can be used anywhere.

Side Effects
    There is a side effect. After the first few weeks of consistently using this, you will feel pain in your forearms. It will hurt so bad. It will be hard to type, write, or carry groceries.

Also people will want to know what these are. Many people in my gym have asked me and have given me weird looks. But who cares! I go to the gym to make gainz and these have been giving me those gainz.

Conclusion
    I would recommend this product to anyone who is looking to spice up their training. It will get you results. For those who hate training forearms on their own, this is a great product for you. Make greater gainz and forearm gainz. You will not be disappointed. Let me know how your training goes with these!

Advertisement:
    Members don't see ads: Join SR for Free

September 23, 2015

-Introduction-
    About five years ago, I lost part of my index and middle finger on my left hand in a butcher shop accident. I spent four months with out the use of my left hand, during that time my left arm atrophied something fierce. There was a noticeable difference in arm size, and especially strength from my left arm to my right. Over time everything above the elbow filled out on my left arm, leaving less of a difference, however my forearm never seemed to recover. Since I had lost part of my two fingers, not only was I not using that hand as much even after it healed, but I also could not grip things as well with my fingers being shorter. My grip strength was suffering, and to this day I still notice a difference in what I can pick up with which hand. Looking for ways to improve my strength, I tried a few novelty items like grip trainer which did not help that much. Did some research and found these bad boys in 2014, and figured I would give them a shot.

-How They Work-(9/10)
    Fat Gripz are two blue rubber cylinder looking objects, that have an opening that goes across that you use to slip over the bar, thus increasing the thickness making the lift more challenging.

One thing to note, make sure on certain lifts you place the opening of the Fat Gripz so it does not slip off in the middle of the lift. Seen a few guys make that mistake and it is not pretty. On deadlifts, Rows, and anything that involves pulling, make sure the opening in on your palm. For pushing exercises you want the opening facing away from you. Also I would not use these on Olympic lifts since you can go from a pull to a push on the same movement.

Added a picture of the opening, to ensure understanding of what I am talking about. Picture is not mine, just one I found on google.

-Effectiveness-(9/10)
    From the first workout I used them, I knew it was not going to be easy but well worth it. I was deadlifting at the time 315 for 8 reps, tried it with the Fat Gripz barely got one rep out. I realized right then my grip strength was a huge weakness in my lifting. Over about 3 months time I used these almost every workout, for just about every exercise I could use them on. As time passed I noticed my forearms started to look more proportionate, and I was able to deadlift more than ever because my grip never weakened like it use to. They not only built up my grip strength, but also gave my arms a more proportionate look which I had been trying to do for years with no avail. I would consider these a highly effective forearm builder, and grip strength enhancer.

-Value- (9/10)
    Hmm...$100 on a fat bar that can only be used on a numbered amount of exercises, or $40 for Fat Gripz that can be added to just about any bar out there. Fat Gripz are well worth the money for there. The versatility alone is a reason to get a pair. I use them at the gym on dumbbells, bars and at home I use it on my pull up/dip rack. They are pricey, but it is still a great investment to make in yourself. Grip strength is important in all aspects of life, so spending a little extra to improve it is worth it.

-Side Effects-
    Not really a side effect, but for the first few weeks of using these your forearms are going to hurt like they never have before. I had trouble opening my car door, or twisting door knobs so that's one thing to note about these.

-Conclusion-
    Overall I love Fat Gripz for there versatility and durability. Had these for almost two years and they're as good as new. I would highly reccomend these to anyone looking to build their forearms strength and size, or to someone looking for a new challenge for their workouts.

Overall
      Overall
      9.5
        September 15, 2015

I purchased these Fat Gripz online from Bodybuilding.com about three years ago for around $40. I thought it was a fair price for what you are getting and I have seen it go for closer to $30 now, so they are affordable. They have definitely made my workouts harder and have helped improve my strength over the years, which is especially noticeable when doing dead lifts or shrugs. I'll keep this review fairly short and to the point since most aspects have already been touched by previous reviewers.

Originally, I used these exclusively on days that I trained arms. I noticed that the Gripz were easy to put on the barbells/dumbbells. They did not slide around on the bars and were comfortable to hold. You most likely will not be able to use your normal weight while using the Gripz, so be prepared to decrease the weight. After the first few sets, I had a crazy pump in my arms. My workout was also shortened because my arms were crushed about forty minutes into the session. Eventually, I started to use them on just about any push/pull exercise. I have not come across a piece of equipment that these do not fit onto. Although I have not been consistently in the gym over the years, the Gripz have not shown any wear and tear which shows how durable they are.

If there are any negatives I can think of about the Gripz, it would be that many people will ask "What are those?" (lol) and that they leave your hand smelling like rubber. Also, these are a little awkward to carry around the gym/keep in your pockets. If you bring your gym bag in with you, that should not be a problem then. The cons are not even that big of a deal, I am just including them so I do not seem totally biased. As a side note, I would not recommend using these for heavy weight right away if you are new to the Gripz. I would suggest that they are used for warm-up sets/high-volume sets at first until you know how much weight your grip can handle.

If you have an extra $40 in your budget for the month, I would definitely advocate purchasing these. I would be shocked if they did not improve your grip after a few weeks. I will probably be purchasing the Fat Gripz Extreme because I liked these so much.
      • Fits On Most Pieces Of Equipment
      • Easy To Use
      • Awkward To Carry Around
      • Bit Pricey But You Get What You Pay For
      • Makes Your Hand Smell Like Rubber

February 2, 2014

I started using Fat Gripz about 6 weeks ago. In my line of work grip strength could be the difference between going home or not. These things are worth trying if you want to improve your grip strength and forearm size.

Fat gripz work by working the poo out of your forearms. This is becouse of the increased thickness the gripz's add on to the barbells, db, or handles you use during your routine. All you got to do is slip the gripz over the barbell or db you are using. The increased thickness now forces your forearms to work much harder at maintaining your grip. After the first time using them even the muscles in my hands ached!

Effectiveness: 10/10 It works! Let me say though, don't expect to go with the big weight immediately. Using them will bring your maxes down some, but in the end its worth it. I went from using 90 lb dumb bells for farmers walk without the gripz, down to 65 lb with them and still had a difficult time holding them the first time. Once you go back to not using them, the weight feels very lite!

Convenience: 10/10 Just throw them in your gym bag. Much easier than trying to wrap a towel around a bar.

Value: 9/10 I got these from bb.com for around $30. I've seen the price from $30-$40. Price could be a little better, but they are worth it, just shop around.

Overall: 10/10 Your bi's, forearms, and hands will hate you! Ive used them for curls, farmers walk, pull ups, low rows, shrugs, bench press, just about everything I could. I didnt use them for stuff like power cleans though, for fear of them turning and coming off the bar. The slot needs to face the way the weight is moving, for low rows the slot should be facing you. This keeps them from sliding off, which would make for a bad day!

I have only found one con, and that is EVERYONE will ask you wtf you are using and what they are for. Almost everyone will want to try them as well.

This is only my second review, so constructive criticism is much appreciated.
      • Make You Look Like A Boss In The Gym

November 8, 2012

As soon as I used Fat Gripz i felt the resistense in my forarms. The day after my forearms and my biceps and triceps felt bigger. I felt sore in areas that I have naver felt sore in before. After 2 weeks of use, I noticed a big change in my arm size and forearm size. Not to mention, my arm strength had increased at a higher rate than usual.
      I've had Fat Gripz for 2 years now. I used it mostly for tricep and bicep excercises, and work them into my other routines, when I feel it is necessary.
      I love using my Fat Gripz and feel that they are an everyday part of my weight-lifting routine. Without them, lifting would be much more boring, less challenging, less fun, and less creative. I think that anyone who is a seroius weight-lifter shpould have a pair of Fat Gripz.
      I thought they looked silly at first {a big blue thing that makes the grip bigger, ha, so what} until I tried it. They work. They are awsome.
      • Durable
      • Helps With Rotator Cuff Pains.
      • Builds Muscles You Don't Know About

October 22, 2012

Ingredient profile - 100% pure rubber!
        Mixability - mixes great! Mixes in well in the gym bag.
        Taste - Pretty bad >:|

Okay, okay, enough of the sarcasm.

I've used fat gripz, fat bars, and things like towels/duct tape over bars since I first started training. I'd recommend fat gripz for any gym goer serious about grip strength. I redneck engineered a fat bar and fat dumbbell handles but I have to be honest fat gripz are a lot more convenient. Slap them on any bar, dumbbell, and most cable attachments.

I'd honestly prefer a fat bar or fat dumbbell handle over fat gripz just because it can be cheaper (I made mine for $20 from home depot) and since I train for strongman, axles are always the same diameter. They won't put fat gripz on implements at the contest! However, I realize most of you cannot bring in homemade equipment to the gym let alone buying these implements retail is ridiculously expensive.

Again it is extremely convenient and it is good for warm up sets of pressing exercises. Makes the bar feel like a pencil, which psychologically is helpful for me.

Personally, training with larger diameter implements, whether it be fat gripz or a fat bar, has improved for all my pressing lifts with a regular barbell. Get a pair.
        • Convenient
        • Bit Pricey But You Get What You Pay For
        • Chuck Norris Doesn't Promote Them

October 8, 2012

As the other reviews have stated these work great for your grip and forearms. They are very versatile due to the fact that they just wrap around the bar, dumbell, or handle to make a greater circumference. This in turn makes your muscles work harder and also makes you focus more on your form.They fit the whole way around my standard dumbbells but don't go the whole way around my Olympic bar. There is about a half an inch gap left on the olympic bar. I view this as a positive because I have to work even harder as the circuference is even larger.

Another reason they are versatile is that they can easily be brought to a gym. It would be pretty tough to lug around a fat bar and fat dumbbells to the gym if your gym doesn't already have them. If you work out at home they will save you money and space if you don't have a fat bar and Dumbells.

There are some items of safety to go over before using these. The slot opening should face the direction the weight is moving. For example when doing curls the slot should face up and when doing cable tricep pushdowns the slot should face down. If you don't do this then the bar could pop out of the fat gripz and that could be bad news. That brings up the next safety concern and the only reason that I gave these a 9 overall and not a 10. Do not do things like power cleans, other Olympic lifts, or strongman type lifts where the slot opening would face more than one direction during the lift. If you face the slot up for a clean that would be ok for the initial pull but when you rotate the bar and rack it on your shoulders slot would be facing down and would be a concern. Therefore if you want to do those types of lifts you would have to go to a gym that has a fat bar or fork out the money for your own bar.

I have had a fat handled leverage bar for about five years and have been interested in the history of lifting since I was young so the concept and benefits of fat grip lifting is nothing new to me. My leverage bar is limited in the movements that I can do with it and I could't justify spending the money on a fat bar so when I got the fat gripz about a year ago they have unleashed new srength and growth.

When I first got these I did 6 weeks with them for all of my bicep and tricep exercises. I think they gave me tendinitis in my elbow from doing standing tricep presses(French presses). I stopped doing the standing tricep presses with them and my pain has gone away. I am not saying don't do them as it may be my genetics and may not bother you. I have also used them for wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, bent over rows, and bench presses.

Bent over rows were a real suprise as I had to squeeze hard to keep the bar from sliding out of my hands. It feels almost as if someone is trying to pull the bar out of your hands. This is why I think anyone that does combat sports, is in law enforcement, a rock climber, or in the military would benefit from the rows or pulldowns. There were times in football when I would reach for the ball carrier and get a couple of fingers on his jersey almost like a fat griz row. Right now I am in the middle of a 6 week cycle of doing these. After the six weeks I will do them regular for awhile before including the fat gripz again so that I can hit my lats with heavier weight.

The other suprise for me was when I did bench presses for the first time with these. They made me concentrate on form and made the exercise much harder for me. I think powerlifters and football linemen would benefit from doing these. From now on I will probably do a set or 2 of these every couple of weeks when I do benches.

I rate the value of these a 10. I got them as a gift but right now for instance they are advertised at Bodybuilding.com for $38.99. I checked on Ironmind.com for a fat barbell and the price was $229.95. I also looked at their fat grip dumbbells and they were $319.95 for a pair. So you can see why I gave the value a 10. They are also durable as I have had them for about a year and they have not worn one bit, so that adds to their value.

These are highly effective, and versatile. there are many exercises that you can use them for and many ways that you can include them. You could use them for all of your sets for an exercise for a certain amount of weeks, for a finishing set, or some sets every couple of weeks. It is up to you. I highly recommend these for anyone that can pick up a weight.

August 22, 2012

Fat Gripz blew up my forearm girth and strength. I used these for pullups, bench press, dead lifts, powercleans, and just about anything. within a week of using this you notice your grip is more powerful and stronger. By week 2 using this you notice your forearms are more vascular and you start to put on muscle. After using these, I went back to lifting without them and my grip was so much stronger. This helps in rows, pullups, and dead lifts especially. These Fat Gripz are pretty neat and i'm glad I tried them out. I had great results.

July 20, 2012

I am not sure how I forgot to review this product, but let me tell you, get ready for some mind blowing stuff here SR members.

VALUE: 8/10 - I got this for a deal on bb.com for $28. Normally it goes for $40. A bit steep until you see how awesome this product really is.

USAGE: 10/10 - Fairly easy. You just slip these things on the barbell or DB, sometimes I even throw them on cables for added resistance in the muscle groups. They fit most DB's and Barbells.

EFFECTIVENESS: 10/10 - Now I usually do not give 10's in this category, because come on, how can you, nothing is perfect right ? wrong!. This product is off the hook. I will describe the different muscle groups this product is useful for. But before I get into the details please be aware, that with this product, leave the ego at the door. Meaning, don't think that starting off with this you will be doing heavy ass weight. You won't be. Plain and simple. Its going to bring your maximums way way down, but in the long run you will thank these gripz for what they will achieve for you.

FOREARMS: this product simple does what it entails. It hits your forearms hard. You will feel your forearms burning the next day. Because this makes your grip so much wider, where your thumb will not be able to touch your first finger. Using this for just forearm strength is awesome, because bigger stronger forearms means it will help with a ton of other exercises.

My issue has always been that my forearms would hurt when weight was heavy and prevented me from pushing around heavy weights. But after 30 days of this product, I can definitively notice the circumference of my forearms is an inch bigger and much fuller.

BICEPS: This helped me develop bigger fuller biceps. Because you are gripping these things very tight so the DB does not slip out of your hand, it puts more pressure on the actual bicep. But you have to bring the weight way down. Your forearms will burn if you try to use your ego lifting heavy weights and you will downright look like a tool. So bring the weight down and really concentrate on the contraction.

TRICEPS: What can I say, same with Biceps. It really helps me target that particular muscle I am hitting. Which is always a plus.

FORM: For some reason these grips when doing barbell or DB curls helped me have better form. I guess because I was so tensed up from trying to keep my grip on the bars. Excellent for form in my opinion.

Do not use everyday, your forearms will scream and curse at you, guaranteed.

OVERALL: 9/10 - Definitively recommend this to others. It's honestly worth the investment. It will help you improve your grips, help with pain in your wrists and just make your veins pop out trying to grapple the DB/Barbell. Highly highly recommend it.
            • Make You Look Like A Boss In The Gym