SR Leaderboard (Thursday, March 21, 2019)

Top Rated   Best and Worst   Top 100 Users   Exemplary Reviews   Monthly Awards   Rookie of the year   Member of the Month

Exemplary Reviews

These reviews were rated the "most helpful" out of all reviews in the last 30 days.

Knocked The F*ck Out (5% Nutrition)

Overall
Thanks to 5% Nutrition for sending it out!
  February 25, 2019

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Calming Effect
  • Variety Of Ingredients
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Easy Mixing
  • Accurate Scoop
  • Deep Sleep
  • No Knockout Effect
  • Melatonin Might Be Too High For Some

From the brand:

"There's no such thing as overtraining. You're either under eating or undersleeping." - Rich Piana

From the brand:

Lucky for you, Knocked The F Out has the sleep part covered! You can take all the supplements and protein powders on the market, but if you're not recovering, you're missing out on your true potential. Want maximum results from grinding away in the gym? Getting a deep restful sleep is key. It's when the body is inactive and in a relaxed state that it can focus its energy on the rebuilding and repair process. Studies have shown that without enough nightly sleep, stress hormones including insulin and cortisol increase, which can lead to increased fat storage and wasting muscle tissue. Losing sleep has a long term impact on hormones, metabolism, and immune function. That's why without a good night's rest, building muscle and burning fat will stall. We've put together the best combination of herbs, amino acids and natural ingredients to combat the causes of disrupted sleep - with hardcore lifters in mind.

Hello all. Full intro about myself can be found here in the forum: https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=35432.0

First off, thank you to 5% Nutrition for participating here at SR.com and sending me out a tub of Knocked The F*ck Out (KTFO) to use and share my thoughts on. This is part of the first group of 5% Nutrition supplements that I have ever used but that doesn't mean I am unfamiliar with them and the brand as a whole. I used to watch all of Rich's YouTube videos before his untimely passing and always saw him using his products before and after workouts (albeit at much higher dosages than what I used). I am always looking to try different sleep supplements because that is one area I struggle with when it comes to training and recovery. With most people living very busy lives, our minds always seem to be going and it can be hard to turn them off at night to relax. I have had limited success with other sleep supplements and I am excited to see how this one works out.

Serving size: 1 scoop (5.1g) Servings per container: 30

Passion Flower Extract (Passiflora incarnata)(herb) -- 200 mg
Hibiscus Flower Extract (Hibiscus sabdariffa) -- 200 mg
L-Phenylalanine -- 75 mg
L-Theanine -- 75 mg
5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) (from Griffonia simplicifolia Extract)(seed) -- 30 mg
Melatonin -- 8 mg

Other ingredients: Natural flavors, silicon dioxide, sucralose, citric acid

Also included below is a quick summary of each ingredient and what it is supposed to do in the body. This information is courtesy of: https://www.mz-store.com/better-sleep/5-nutrition-knocked-the-foo-out-sleep-aid-153g

GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) - is one of the most potent amino acids, which are active in the area of the nervous system. It is essential to relax and rest. Its basic mechanism of activity is the reduction of the activity of neurons (and thanks to this the feeling of relaxation, not only mental, but also physical) by obvious affinity to GABAergic receptors. In combination with effort, it may increase the secretion of the growth hormone.

L-tyrosine - is used to a large extent against stress and stress-related ailments (it counteracts both mental and physical stress. Physical stress in understood as the feeling of pain, on which tyrosine may have suppressive influence). It also has positive influence on maintaining cognitive functions and it improves the state of the circulatory system (it decreases blood pressure).

Chamomile flower extract (Matricaria Chamomilla) - as we all know, chamomile has been used for a very long time to support general relaxation. Nothing strange in that. Research indicates clear anti-anxiety and relaxing effect. It is also interesting that it may decrease the effect of snoring, which not only increases the comfort of sleep, but also protects from dangerous sleep apnea. Moreover, thanks to the high content of bioactive ingredients (mainly from the group of polyphenols), chamomile also has anti-inflammatory effect. It also influences the improvement of immunity (works well in the commonest colds) and the prophylaxis of the circulatory system.

Inositol- inositol deficiencies are common among people with depression and generally low mood (moreover, studies proved increased activity of drugs for depression and compulsive disorders, which additionally confirm its positive influence on the improvement of general well-being). Diseases and episodes of nervous origin (panic attacks, stress and premenstrual syndrome) also demonstrate lower intensity in supplementation with inositol, according to the research. It also influences the improvement of the condition of the circulatory system (decreases the level of LDL-C) and improves insulin-dependent metabolism.

Lemon Balm Leaf and Stem Extract (Melissa officinalis) - another natural ingredient, well-known to us from often prepared infusions, which help to deal with stress. Once again traditional ingredients demonstrate wonderful properties. It increases the feeling of calm and relax to a large extent, at the same time decreasing the feeling of sleepiness and may decrease the perception of pain (it is most often associated to specific affinity to GABAergic receptors). It is also suspected that it may influence the increase of the level of acetylcholine, which entails positive effect in the nervous system and when it comes to cognitive abilities. It also demonstrates high antioxidant properties.

L-tryptophan - is a precursor of many important compounds in the organism. In the context of widely understood relax, the most important compounds, which are produced during its metabolism are melatonin and serotonin. Consequently, it influences proper regulation of the daily cycle (melatonin) and the improvement of well-being, anti-stress and anti-anxiety effect (serotonin).

Mucuna Pruriens Extract (L-DOPA) (Mucuna pruriens) - the main active ingredient provided with this plant is levodopa, which is a direct precursor of dopamine. Due to this, it works in the nervous system, improving cognitive abilities and demonstrating protective properties on the nervous system. It also regulates proper level of serotonin and catecholamines. Moreover, it considerably decreases the level of prolactin (its excessively high level is the problem, which people after steroid cycles deal with). Research also indicates that it improves glucose metabolism in blood.

Passion Flower Extract (Passiflora incarnata) - an ingredient used for ages in traditional Indian medicine. The base of its activity is the influence on GABAergic receptors. Due to this, it has anti-stress effect (in testing the effectiveness in relation to generalized anxiety disorder, it was equally effective to one of drugs - oxazepam, showing no side-effects). This is attributed to a large content of flavonoids, which at the same time demonstrate high antioxidant activity.

Hibiscus flower extract (Hibiscus sabdariffa) - it improved sleep length and quality in the research. It also has protective influence on the circulatory system (mainly due to the high content of anthocyanins, which inhibit ACE proteins. It also indirectly modulates the processes of nitric oxide production), improves lipid profile (by activating AMPK enzyme, consequently decreasing the synthesis of hepatic fatty acids).

L-phenylalanine - one of exogenous amino acids. It is an indirect precursor of many neurotransmitters (dopamine and catecholamines), necessary for the proper activity of the nervous system.

L-theanine - is an amino acid, which to a large extent influences the improvement of the nervous system and the perception of relax. What is exceptional about this amino acid is that it can cross blood-brain barrier, which influences much better effectiveness of activity. Its mechanism of activity is the most interesting. Theanine stimulates the production of alpha-1 brainwaves in the neuronal area and this mechanism is responsible for increased feeling of relax and attention. It influences the improvement of sleep quality and length. It considerably decreases the amount of stress-related biomarkers. It also has neuroprotective effect. It influences the improvement of blood pressure by modulating the production of nitric oxide.

5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) (from Griffonia simplicifolia Extract) - the basic mechanism of activity of 5-HTP is the fact that it is a precursor of serotonin, effectively crossing blood-brain barrier. Due to this, it influences general improvement of well-being to a large extent. In the context of falling asleep, it decreases the time needed to achieve sleep and increases its quality (according to PSQI index), it also decreases nervous tension and anxiety perception.

Melatonin - a neurohormone, the basic activity of which is regulation of the biological cycle of the organism. Its high content in the product is especially important for people, who lead an irregular lifestyle (work during the night, frequent travels etc.), as it does not decrease natural production of melatonin (even after stopping its application), but only stimulates its secretion, facilitating the improvement of daily rhythm. Basically, it decreases the time needed to fall asleep and improves sleep quality. Additionally, it has neuroprotective effect (it demonstrates extreme antioxidant properties).

Additionally, the formula was enriched in vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride) - it takes part in the correct signalization in the nervous system (it is the component of enzymes taking part in the conversion of precursors to active neurotransmitters), which also conditions proper homeostasis of the nervous system.

Overall I like the variety of ingredients included and hope they work synergistically to give me a good night's sleep. Some of these ingredients are dosed lower than competing supplements on the market except for the melatonin in my opinion. For most people this is either a love it or hate it ingredient as higher doses can have some negative or weird reported side effects. Most products that I have seen in this category have between one milligram to five milligrams. With eight milligrams in each scoop of KTFO, that may be a red flag to some but I am interested to see the effects and I have not previously had any bad experiences with high doses of this ingredient.

Taste >> At the moment, this product is available in only one flavor, Honey Lemon Tea. The powder itself has a strong lemon scent which also carries over to the taste. I don't get much honey flavor while drinking a scoop of this. Overall the flavor is enjoyable and is similar to a strong cup of tea; much better than most of the other sleep supplements that I have tried before.

Mixability >> With each scoop only being about five grams and mixing it in the warm water makes this section effortless. The powder almost mixes itself if you pour the warm water into your cup then add the scoop. A few swishes with a spoon and you are ready to go. (See the attached photo at the bottom of the review)

Dosing >> Per the brand: " Mix one scoop in 8 oz. of warm water and drink 30 minutes before bedtime." There is no information on whether this product would be more effective taken on an empty stomach or with food. Since I eat all of my food towards the end of the day, all of my servings were taken with some food in my stomach.

When it comes to the effectiveness of this supplement, it lived up to everything but its name. At no point during the entire tub did this every "knock me the f*ck out". After finishing a scoop of this in warm water, I could continue to stay awake for multiple hours if I needed to and sometimes I did when I just couldn't fall asleep while lying in bed. I also tried sitting in a dark and silent room after finishing my serving to try and achieve the knockout effect from this supplement but that did not work either. If I got wrapped up in a TV show or book late in the evening after taking this supplement, it had no effect on making me drowsy.

Moving aside from that intended effect, I was pleasantly surprised how KTFO performed in other areas. While it did not induce any drowsiness for me, there was a feeling of calmness I noticed while using this product. During the use of my tub, I would sometimes use it for multiple nights in a row then take a night or two off. That is how I noticed the calming effect this supplement produced. On the nights that I did not take a scoop, it was definitely harder to wind down and fall asleep, no matter how tired I was.

Once I did fall asleep, that is where KTFO really shinned as I quickly entered a deep sleep or REM. After getting past the initial stage of not being able to fall asleep, the next thing I would know is its morning. No waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and no staring at the ceiling at 3am. My sleep was uninterrupted, peaceful and sometimes there were pleasant dreams that I was able to remember the next day. Four hours of sleep on a scoop of this felt like eight. If I happened to be able to get eight hours of sleep on a night that I took this; the next day was outstanding and I felt like I had all the energy in the world without the use of any stimulants.

There was also no morning grogginess or hangover at any point during my time with this supplement. Whether I had four or eight hours of sleep the previous night, I was ready to go the next morning when my alarm went off. No hitting the snooze button and no additional time needed to shake off a morning fog or immediately reach for some caffeine.

This product is available at few different online stores and for the most part the pricing is pretty consistent. Keep in mind each tub contains 30 servings versus some others that only have 20-25 nowadays. You can find it for $32.95 plus shipping unless you order more than $99 on the Rich Piana website. Or you can go to Amazon where I have seen it for as low as $22 with free shipping from multiple different sellers. Illpumpyouup.com is another well-known site that stocks this supplement and has been known for some good sales.

Side Effects

I did not experience any negative side effects while using this supplement. As mentioned earlier, be aware of the dose of melatonin in each scoop of this product if you know that you do not react well to this ingredient.

Conclusion

In the end, KTFO is the best sleep supplement that I have tried thus far. I still haven't found one that knocks me out from the start as the name implies for this but everything else was great. A fully disclosed label with a variety of ingredients, an enjoyable taste that I did not need to slam each time because it tasted like dirt, effectiveness that performed well in most areas that I was looking for and a reasonable price that could allow someone to use this every night if they wanted to without breaking the bank.

Thank you again to 5% Nutrition for participating here at SR.com and sending me this supplement to review. I am very happy I got the opportunity to give this supplement a try along with your pre-workout recently.

R.I.P. Rich Piana

• Honey Lemon Tea: 8/10

Shredded Steel (SteelFit)

Overall
Thanks to SteelFit for sending it out!
  March 6, 2019

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Many Trademarked Ingredients Used
  • Fat Reduction
  • Raises Body Heat
  • Increased Metabolism
  • Makes A Good Sweat
  • Low Caffeine Content
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Broken Capsules
  • Lost Servings
  • Artificial Colors
  • Contains Yohimbe

What It Is
A powerful fat burning, thermogenic weight loss supplement scientifically formulated to help you shed unwanted body fat.*

What It Does
Shredded Steel delivers a precise combination of six research-backed, patented ingredients, along with other all-natural compounds which are known to accelerate fat burning, boost metabolism, increase energy levels, enhance mental focus and clarity, and suppress appetite.*

What It Is

What It Does

Let me begin by thanking SteelFit for their continued participation here on SR.com and allowing us TROOPers to try and review many of the products they offer. As with many new supplements that hit the market, I first learned of Shredded Steel through the guys over at Stack3d.com and PricePlow.com. Seeing some new ingredients on the label piqued my interest and I knew this was something that I wanted to give a go if the opportunity was available. Please read on if you are interested in my experiences with this product.

There is an image of the supplement facts panel included at the bottom of this review and all of the details about each ingredient were taken from the SteelFit USA product webpage (https://steelfitusa.com/product/shredded-steel/). If you would like some additional details about one or more of the ingredients, the PricePlow website did a further breakdown and explanation of the formula which can be found here: https://blog.priceplow.com/supplement-news/steelfit-shredded-steel

L-Carnitine Tartrate: An incredibly bioavailable form of carnitine proven in scientific studies to support weight loss, athletic performance, and even recovery from exercise. Research notes that L-Carnitine Tartrate increases fat oxidation during exercise, which has the added effect of sparing muscle glycogen, allowing you to save it for later in the workout when it's needed for the final push.*

Betaine Anhydrous (Trimethylglycine): A metabolite of choline (an essential nutrient needed for brain health) that is naturally occurring in beets. Betaine serves many vital functions in the body, but none is more important than its role as a "methyl donor." Betaine contains three methyl groups and donates one of them to methylate homocysteine into the essential amino acid methionine. Betaine also has been noted to impart many other health benefits, including improving cognition and cardiovascular function as well as supporting liver health. Betaine has also been shown to support athletic performance, increasing strength, power, and lean mass. And, it's even been shown to reduce body fat while increasing muscle mass, too.*

Ashwagandha Root Standardized Extract (Withania Somnifera) (5% withanolides) (KSM-66): Ashwagandha, also known as Withania Somnifera or Indian Ginseng, is a powerful adaptogen that promotes balance in the body. KSM-66 Ashwagandha is the highest-quality ashwagandha extract on the world market today and has been clinically proven to reduce stress, improve memory and cognition, improve sexual performance, enhance sports performance and control weight management.*

Caffeine Anhydrous: One of the most commonly used stimulants among athletes. Caffeine ignites the central nervous system, setting off a flurry of activity that increases energy levels, boosts mood, and stimulates the metabolism, helping you burn more calories and feel better while doing it. Caffeine even helps reduce your appetite, eliminate the temptation to cheat and ruin your diet.*

Theacrine (as TeaCrine): Developed by Compound Solutions, TeaCrine is a chemical cousin of caffeine derived from Kucha. TeaCrine provides smooth, long-lasting energy that pairs well with the immediate energy burst of caffeine to form an energy high that lasts for hours on end. One other huge benefit to TeaCrine is that it does NOT come with the tolerance build up that caffeine does, meaning that you get the same boost in energy, mood, and focus without having to increase the amount you consume continually.*

Organic Atlantic Kelp (Ascophyllum Nodosum) (Whole Plant): Iodine is an essential trace mineral that plays a crucial role in proper thyroid function, and subsequently metabolism. Shredded Steel includes 150mcg of iodine derived from a type of seaweed called kelp to support proper thyroid function and cognition, aiding metabolism and energy production for enhanced fat loss.*

Alluvia Purple Tea (Camellia Sinesis) Leaf Extract (Standardized to 3% GHG): One of the newest, and most intriguing, ingredients to enter the world of weight loss supplements is Alluvia Purple Tea. Derived from a new crossbred variety Camellia sinensis, the same leaf from which black, white, and green teas are derived, Alluvia contains red and purple anthocyanins, similar to those found in dark-colored fruits, that impart a wide range of health benefits.*

Early studies on Alluvia Purple Tea have documented anti-obesity actions, reduction of conditions that lead to metabolic syndrome, and anti-aging benefits for the skin. Two human clinical studies to support weight loss, decreases in body mass index, fat mass, hip size, waist size, and subcutaneous-fat thickness while improving body composition and lean body mass.*

Researchers believe that one of the primary ways Alluvia exerts its fat loss benefits is through the inhibition of lipase, the enzyme that breaks down fats for digestion. By preventing your body from properly digesting fats, it passes through and out of the GI system intact, meaning you derive very little, if any, calories from the fat you eat.*

Evodiamine Fruit Extract (Evodia Rutaecarpa): Used in traditional Chinese medicine as a warming technique, Evodiamine mimics the characteristic anti-obese effects induced by capsaicin. Evodiamine may induce heat loss and heat production at the same time and dissipate food energy, preventing the accumulation of perivisceral fat and the body weight increase.

Cognizin Citicoline: A patented form of citicoline, a highly bioavailable form of choline that's been shown in clinical testing to increase brain energy, attention, focus, and memory.Cognizin helps "turn the lights on" in your mind so that it's operating faster and more efficiently so that you can get more work done, better, while on a reduced calorie diet.*

Grain of Paradise Seed Extract (Aframum Melegueta) (Paradoxine): A spice belonging to the ginger family that stimulates brown adipose tissue, boosting metabolism and increasing thermogenesis while decreasing visceral fat in the lower abdomen.*

Yohimbe HCL (Pausinystalia Yohimbe): One of the most well-known and effective ingredients for shedding that "stubborn" body fat, and it's one of the tried and true supplements dieters turn to when looking to drop those "last five pounds."*

Yohimbe is a potent central nervous system stimulant and alpha-2-adrenergic receptor antagonist. Fat cells have two types of receptors called alpha and beta receptors. In layman's terms, when alpha receptors are stimulated, they block fatty acid release (halting fat burning), while beta receptors activation leads to the freeing of fatty acids, allowing them to be oxidized (or "burned") for energy.*

Yohimbine "clogs" the alpha receptor ports on fat cells, allowing the fat burning catecholamines like epinephrine and norepinephrine to dock on beta receptors, liberating stored body fat to be burned for energy. Additionally, Yohimbine also has been shown to reduce appetite, ramp up energy expenditure, and enhance lipolysis.*

Black Pepper (Piper Nigrum) Fruit Extract (Bioperine) Yielding 95% Piperine: An industry-leading black pepper extract (standardized to 95% piperine) that is included to improve the absorption of other nutrients its paired with in supplements. Additionally, Bioperine may also support fat loss by increasing thermogenesis.*

My favorites from the ingredient profile are the inclusion of the Paradoxine (Grain of Paradise) along with the KSM-66 Ashwagandha. Based on my previous experiences with these ingredients from other supplements, I know I react well and enjoy the effects of these. The Paradoxine really gets my body heated up and ready for action while the KSM-66 provides a nice mental feeling while it is in my system. I also like that there is not a ridiculous amount of caffeine in each serving like some other fat burners/thermogenics on the market. With how easy it is to consume vast amounts of caffeine throughout the day; I don't need or want a huge dose in a product like this, especially when there are so many other innovative ingredients out there to use.

Taste >> Product is in capsule form. Nothing to report here.

Mixability >> As with taste, nothing to say here. Just pop the desired number of capsules with some liquid and you are done.

Dosing >> Per the brand: "As a dietary supplement, take one serving (3 capsules) in the morning with your first meal or protein shake. Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water daily. Shredded Steel can be combined with Steel Core and/or Hydra Steel for a more customized weight loss solution. Do not take Shredded Steel within 6 hours of bedtime."

Just for reference, with my current schedule I wake up in the late morning/early afternoon and that is when I take my serving.

This section will be broken down into the two different dosing protocols that I used. When I first received the product, I started with just two capsules upon waking. With some potent and highly dosed ingredients (including Yohimbe) in Shredded Steel, I didn't want to go overboard from the beginning and screw myself up. For the first week or so I used just the two capsules and that provided some nice effects. Most notable was the immediate boost in energy from the caffeine along with a longer lasting energy and focus from the TeaCrine. This was also paired with a feeling of well-being and mental clarity, which I can only assume was the result of the KSM-66 and Cognizin Citicoline. If I happened to not be very active during the first part of my day after taking the two capsules, I would notice a slight increase in body heat and the ability to start sweating from my underarms with very little movement. If I was active during that first part of the day, my body heat would increase noticeably and the sweat would come on right away during the physical activity. These feelings would stay with me for the entire time that I was active but would decrease significantly once I stopped (which could be between one and two hours).

After that first week or so using the two capsules, I decided to move up to the three capsule dosing suggested on the bottle. As one might expected, the effects were similar to what I previously mentioned when using the two capsules but kicked up another notch. More of an energy boost from the beginning that lasted even longer than before. The feeling of well-being and mental clarity was about the same intensity but it lasted longer into the day when compared to the lower dose. My body heat and the ability to start sweating also had a noticeable difference with the extra capsule. Now when I was just sitting around, I could feel the sweat coming on from my underarms and lower back. If I was active on the three capsule dosage, my body heat was through the roof (in a positive way) and I quickly became a sweaty mess. During the colder days of my run with this supplement, the ability to warm up and get loose with this extra body heat was fantastic! I was able to save time and become more efficient during my physical activity while still being safe and not putting my body at risk of injury.

When all is said and done during my use of the bottle, I was able to decrease my scale weight by four pounds without losing any strength on my compound lifts and following an intuitive eating protocol. Having this supplement as a tool in my tool belt during this time let me train at the same intensity that I am used to while reducing some body mass and not having to significantly worry about my food intake and macro tracking.

At the moment, it looks like the only place this supplement can be purchased is from the SteelFit USA website (https://steelfitusa.com/product/shredded-steel/). The list price is $69.95 but is on sale for $39.95 at the moment with free domestic shipping on orders over $99. They have also partnered with Sezzle, which allows you to pay for your supplements with four interest free payments.

Each bottle includes 30 servings if you use the three capsules each time. If you are able to get results with only two caps per day that will help with the value of this supplement.

Side Effects

The first time I used this supplement, I had a dizzy feeling about an hour after consumption and that was while taking only two capsules. Nothing absolutely horrible but it did slow me down for a short time. After that first experience, I did not experience any more side effects for the rest of the bottle, even when moving up to the three capsule dosage.

As a forewarning, this supplement is going to raise your body temperature and likely cause you to sweat if you do any physical activity (and possibly if you do nothing). Also, Yohimbe seems to be either a love it or hate it ingredient in the sports supplement industry. Be aware of the dosage in this product if you know you do not react well to this ingredient and its effects.

Conclusion

To wrap things up on this review, I am very happy with my experience from running a bottle of Shredded Steel and look forward to picking up another in the near future. The ingredient profile is comprehensive and well dosed even at just two capsules. If you are on the smaller side, the low dosage may just be your sweet spot for this supplement. For reference, I am 6'3" and 220+ pounds. I did have one slightly negative experience with this product when I first took it but I would chop that up to the different ingredients in this product that my body has not experienced before. After that first serving, everything else was smooth sailing and I have no complaints. As with many thermogenic/fat burning supplements, the value is in the eye of the beholder and if you feel this is a product that is needed for your current goals. With the variety of ingredients and dosages included, especially for the trademarked compounds, this supplement is positioned in the market where I would expect it to be. You can find less comprehensive products for a cheaper price and more comprehensive ones for a higher price. Do your research on individual ingredients to figure out the best combination for your desired outcome.

Once again, thank you to SteelFit and SR.com for making this review possible. You guys continue to come out with new and innovative products that are effective for me and backed up with scientifically proven ingredients. Looking forward to see what the future brings from this brand.

Thank you for reading my review and let me know if you have any questions.

Kill It Reloaded (5% Nutrition)

Overall
Thanks to 5% Nutrition for sending it out!
  March 9, 2019

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Accurate Scoop
  • 30 Servings Per Tub
  • Powder Has A Chemical Smell
  • Artificial Colors Used
  • Short Focus Window

From the brand:

There's a new contender for the ultimate pre-workout - Kill It Reloaded! This is a hardcore pre-workout that's armed, dangerous and out to take over the category. Our new and improved KILL IT is designed to give you more pump, more energy and laser sharp focus. Loaded with 325 mg of caffeine, utilizing 2.5 grams of the industry's most stable glycerol powder, GlycerolPump, along with 4 grams of pure L-Citrulline, Kill It Reloaded is bound to be your new old favorite pre-workout..

Hello all. Full intro about myself can be found her...

From the brand:

First off, thank you to 5% Nutrition for participating here at SR.com and sending me out a tub of Kill it Reloaded to use and share my thoughts on. This is part of the first group of 5% Nutrition supplements that I have ever used but that doesn't mean I am unfamiliar with them and the brand as a whole. I used to watch all of Rich's YouTube videos before his untimely passing and always saw him using his products before and after workouts (albeit at much higher dosages than what I used). Please read on if you are interested in my first experiences with this brand and what could be their premier pre-workout supplement.

First, I have copy and pasted a full breakdown of the supplement facts for this product. There is also a photo of the panel included at the bottom of this review. Unlike the original Kill It, the Reloaded version has a fully disclosed label (which is always a positive for me). The amount of ingredients has also increased in this new version compared to the original (10.5 grams per scoop in the original versus 17.1 grams in Reloaded).

Supplement Facts

Serving Size: 1 Scoop (17.1 Grams)
Servings Per Container: 30

Caffeine Citrate - 50 mg
DiCaffeine Malate Infinergy - 50 mg

Other Ingredients:
Malic Acid, Silicon Dioxide, Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Sucralose, Red #40

My friends over at PricePlow did a fantastic job in their blog post (https://blog.priceplow.com/supplement-news/5-nutrition-kill-it-reloaded) detailing the ingredients included and also pointing out all of the changes made from the original version to this one. The highlights of the ingredient profile for me with this product have to be all the pump ingredients included. The four gram dose of L-Citrulline is pretty nice on its own but when you include a huge dose of GlycerPump (2.5g), that is going over the top and should equal a good time for most people. Those ingredients paired with the big dose of Taurine should give you the endurance and pumps to last through the longest workouts.

Moving beyond the pump and endurance ingredients, we have a pretty average Nootropic blend in my opinion. Nothing massively dosed or unique to the industry with these three ingredients but still nice to have in a pre-workout supplement. The next batch of ingredients is different forms of creatine that when added together equals about half of the daily dose that many people use. If you supplement with creatine, this shouldn't be your only source but nice to have to further saturate your muscles and possibly provide some muscle power benefits during your workout. The last blend of ingredients for this supplement is the stims and 5% has stuck with just caffeine but in three different forms. The 367mg of raw ingredients yields about 325mg of total caffeine and the theory is they should come on at different speeds to provide a smooth and long last feeling of energy. The remaining ingredients are all the flavors, artificial sweeteners along with some artificial coloring in the flavor I received. I would really like to see the artificial color removed from this product as I don't feel is serves a beneficial purpose and possibly limits the market to who would purchase this.

Taste >> This product comes in four flavors and I received the Cherry Berry flavor. As mentioned in the "Con" section at the top, there is a chemical smell to the powder when you open the tub. Thankfully that disappears upon mixing and you are only left with an enjoyable cherry/mixed red berry flavor. No specific fruit flavor stands out when drinking and there was nothing unpleasant that I experienced during the entire tub. Very easy to go through an entire 30 serving tub without tiring of the flavor.

Mixability >> Everything was great with this aspect. As you can see from the photos, when you dump a scoop into your shaker, almost everything sinks to the bottom. After about ten seconds of shaking, I would say about 99% of the powder is mixed in the water. Very few small granules can be seen at the bottom of the shaker. There is also some foam that appears that you can see in another photo but that dissipates quickly and is not an issue when consuming.

Dosing >> Per the brand: "Advanced users mix 1 scoop with 8-10oz. cold water and consume 30 minutes before your workout. If you are new to pre-workouts, determine tolerance by consuming 1/2 scoop. Once tolerance has been determined, you can go up to 1 scoop. "

All of my servings were consumed on an empty stomach with there being at least a 12 hour gap before I started my workout.

First a little background about the type of training I did while using this supplement. I typically lift weights between three and four days a week. For the first three training sessions of the week, I am doing full body workouts including some heavy movements for different body parts each day. For example, the first session would have a heavy movement focused on my back (deadlifts or rows), the second day would have the heavy movement focused on my chest and shoulders (bench press and/or overhead press) and the third full body session would have the heavy movement focused on my legs (squats or leg press). After the heavy movements were done, the other body parts would be worked in the hypertrophy range. These workouts normally last about 90 minutes and I would sometimes do TABATA cardio afterwards. If I went in on a fourth day, that would just be a "free" day to add some more volume to any body part(s) that were feeling good or that I wanted to improve but nothing heavy.

In baseball terms, this supplement was a home run for me and just short of a grand slam. The only aspect that kept it from being a grand slam was the focus. That would seem to wear off after about 30 to 45 minutes into the workout. If that is how long your weight lifting sessions normally run, then this is a non-issue and you will probably love this supplement. As mentioned, my sessions last longer than that, so towards the end would sometimes be a struggle to get everything done that I wanted to.

Moving beyond that one downfall for effectiveness, this product performed wonderfully in the other areas that I look for. The pumps and feeling of fullness came on quickly, lasted the entire workout and seemed to flow from one body part to the next quite easily. I could feel some extra blood flow during the lower rep sets then it really got going when I moved into the hypertrophy work. I can't speak much to the vascularity that this supplement provides because my current body weight doesn't lead to that effect. If you are a person who can achieve and/or are looking for vascularity during your workouts, this is definitely a product worth looking into. In terms of energy for each scoop, I have no complaints here during my tub.

The different forms of caffeine hit me at different times and I had everything I wanted from the beginning to the end of my weight session with no side effects or crash afterwards. There was still some energy leftover from the caffeine when it was time to do my cardio after lifting weights. With 300mg to 350mg of caffeine becoming pretty standard in pre-workouts on the market, this should satisfy your average stim-junkie but shouldn't blow your head off. If you want more stims in your pre-workout; either increase the dosage of this product or 5% Nutrition also has a higher stim supplement you can look into.

Lastly, I was happy with this supplement's effectiveness when it came to muscle power, muscle endurance and hydration elements during the workout. Aside from those times when the focus aspect had left me, my body had everything it needed to push the weights I wanted through the number of sets and reps that were planned. With the lower dose of Beta-Alanine, I did not feel any immediate tingles after consuming or during the workout but I still believe it served its intended purpose. No issues with cramping or light-headedness during the weight lifting or cardio afterwards.

This product is available at various different online stores and for the most part the pricing is pretty consistent. Keep in mind each tub contains 30 servings versus many others that only have 20-25 nowadays. You can find it for $40 plus shipping unless you order more than $99 on the Rich Piana website. Or you can go to Amazon where it is currently $36 with free shipping. A quick search of eBay revealed a couple high positive feedback sellers who have this listed for just under $30 with free standard shipping.

Side Effects

I personally did not experience any negative side effects throughout my use of the tub. With fourteen active ingredients, be sure to take a look at the label before buying just to make sure nothing is in here that you know you do not react well to. As with any caffeine containing supplement, I would not consume this too late in the day or you might have some issues with sleep.

The flavor I had also contained some artificial colors (Red 40), so be aware of this if you are allergic to them or just trying to avoid these ingredients.

Conclusion

In conclusion, Kill It Reloaded was a fantastic product that almost crushed every aspect I look for in a pre-workout supplement and the only place it missed in effectiveness may not be an issue for others who have shorter workouts. When compared to the original version, Reloaded has more ingredients and an open label which are positives for me. I enjoyed the flavor I received along with the effectiveness in most areas that I desire. At a true one scoop serving for 95%+ of the general population and with 30 servings in each tub, this supplement is a fantastic deal at only around $1.00-$1.35 per scoop.

Thank you again to 5% Nutrition for participating here at SR.com and sending me this supplement to review. Rich and his people should be proud of this product and I wish he was still here for the knowledge and entertainment he provided

R.I.P. Rich Piana

• Cherry Berry: 8/10

Thanks to VMI Sports® for sending it out!
  February 28, 2019

• Keeps You Full
  • Good Meal Replacment
  • Mixes Effortlessly
  • Amazing Taste
  • Not Cost Effective At 4 Scoops

Major mass is a quality mass gainer that uses a mix of healthier ingredient alternatives than most mass gainers.

First of all, thank you to VMI Sports and to supplimentreviews for allowing me the opportunity to review this product. I am immensely sorry that it was so late, ive been super tied up with personal and schooling matters. While it hasn't auto canceled I still feel bad for it taking a while to do. This product is a mass gainer that claims to be a "lean mass gainer". This is for a person who wants to put on quality mass but isnt into a super dirty bulk. I picked this product from the troopers because i have been trying to steadily add more protein to my diet and also wanted to try a quality mass gainer.

The macros on this product are as follows for 2 scoops:
Total fat 5g
Carbohydrates 31g
Sugars 10g
Protein 20g

With this being a mass gainer there arnt many individual ingredients to cover. I will state the sources of carbs, fats, etc used though. The protein comes from a blend of Whey protein concentrate, whole milk powder, why isolate, and milk protein isolate. This is a wide variety of proteins that come together well. The milk powder and milk isolate will contain some casein so i do enjoy the use of a blend. The main source of carbs is dextrose, Carb10, and maltodextrin. This is refreshing to see because many mass gainers will stop at maltodextrin. I enjoy the fact that they encoperate slower and faster digesting carbs together to offer a steady release and less of a huge insulin spike. The fat blend uses coconut oil creamer, coconut oil powder, avocado oil powder, and MCT powder. Another addition that is fantastic is the addition of the digistisorb enzymes. The particular one that helped me was the lactase enzyme, which helped me a TON since i have lactose intolerance. I can say that i never got even a stomach ache from this product.

The taste of this product was PHENOMENAL. Thank you to VMI sports for officially ruining my expectations of future protein. I go the ice cream sandwhihc flavor and i can honestly say it is dead on. I loved drinking this stuff and it offered me a relief for for sweet tooth. I will say though that it is really sweet so if your not into sweet drinks than this isnt for you. The mix ability was also very good. The only floaters i ever got were the little pieces of crunch that ae in it. It does mix up pretty thin so you dont have to use much liquid. The dosing i used was 2 scoops per day and on some days i would do this a second time. This seemed to work out good and it fit into my nutrition well.

The effectiveness of this product was good. Protein powders are always hard to determine effectivness on because it is something that takes time to see and it is just adding to the benefit of higher protein intake. For this product i can say that i noticed a decrease in my normal recovery and i did put on some mass while i used this. I gained around 5 pounds while on this but obviously this wasnt 5 pounds of pure muscle. While i know it wasnt all muscle i was impressed with my results. I did notice more size to my shoulders specifically. The ingredients in this product are in line with adding quality nutrients to help with building muscle. I truly believe if i continued to use this than i would notice even more results. As far as my recovery i did notice a slight decrease in my soreness after hard workouts. This is in line with an increase in daily protein and this product helps to make this an easier task through the day.

This mass gainer runs for 59.99 on vmisports.com, the manufacturer. It can be found on 3rd party websites for cheaper. On Suppz.com it can be found for $38.99. If you use 2 scoops it comes out to around $1.30 per serving. If you use 4 scoops than it comes to around $2.60.

Side Effects

No side effects were experienced.

Conclusion

In conclusion, this mass gainer is a very good option for the individual that wants to increase calorie intake but dosnt want it to be from"dirty" sources. I believe this is a very good option for when somebody want to try to put on some mass and up their protein intake. The ingredients were unique and the flavor was fantastic.
  • Ice Cream Sandwich: 10/10

March 8, 2019

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mixes Well
  • Nice Flavours
  • Clean Ingredients
  • Low Calories High Protein
  • Some Flavours Might Not Taste Great
The last time I was here, I was doing insane amounts of cardio and some Calisthenics but I am now only doing weightlifting/compound weightlifting and practicing some calisthenics skills. My goals have changed and my diet did too as a result but what I look for in a protein shake stays the same to a degree. I look for clean short list of ingredients, preferably soy free and definitely not with artifical sweeteners. I try as much as possible to get my calories from my diet and only use shakes for their protein content. This is a low carb, low fat, low calories and high protein shake. I have been on this shake for quite a while and for good reasons!

There are some natural foods in the powder which was a great motivation for me to try it. I was also very sick of their previous vegan powder as the taste was becoming unbearable.

V+ Protein Blend (Pea Protein Isolate, Brown Rice Protein, Pumpkin Seed Protein, Flaxseed Powder, Quinoa Flour), Cocoa Powder (Chocolate Peanut Flavour Only), Natural Flavouring, Instantising Agent (Sunflower Lecithin), Natural Colouring (Beetroot Red - Strawberry Flavour Only), Sweetener (Stevia Extract), Emulsifier (Xanthan Gum), Citric Acid (Strawberry Flavour Only), DigeZyme Enzyme Complex (Amylase, Protease, Cellulase, Lactase, Lipase).

It is blend of Pea Protein Isolate, Brown Rice Protein, Pumpkin Protein, Flaxseed Powder and Quinoa Flour. Which is a really decent clean source of protein!

Pea Protein Isolate: BULK POWDERS Pea Protein Isolate has been used in Vegan Protein Powder due to its 80% protein content, neutral flavour, excellent mixability and creamy consistency. Super Pea Protein is 100% GMO free and provides a great source of Arginine.

Brown Rice Protein: Brown Rice Protein is also 80% protein and provides an excellent source of Cysteine. The highest quality, non-GMO Brown Rice Protein has been chosen for Vegan Protein Powder.

Pumpkin Protein: BULK POWDERS Pumpkin Protein has a high 60% protein content along with a neutral flavour, good mixability and a whole host of micronutrients. Pumpkin Protein is a natural source of Magnesium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese and Iron. It contributes a significant source of Magnesium, Copper and Manganese to Vegan Protein Powder.

Flaxseed Powder: Flaxseed Powder is normally predominantly thought of as a source of healthy fats. However, our Flaxseed Powder is 35% protein and high in fibre. Importantly, the Flaxseed Powder also helps the consistency of Vegan Protein Powder, negating any graininess from other vegan protein sources.

Quinoa Flour: One of the oldest grains in the world, Quinoa Flour is a natural source of protein, Zinc, Iron and Calcium.

One scoop profile: 23g of Protein, 130kcal, 2.1g Fat, 0.5g of which is Saturated and 2.6 Carbs, 0.5 of which is sugar. DigeZyme 105mg.

DigeZyme: DigeZyme is a popular blend of five digestive enzymes: Protease, Amylase, Lipase, Lactase and Cellulase. These digestive enzymes help to break down protein, carbohydrate, cellulose and fat.

Quinoa and pumpkin flour are rich in zinc, magnesium and copper which contributes to the overall wellbeing of the body, strengthens the immune system and muscle functions.

I take one to two scoops in the one go depending on my protein needs during the day. Overall I would take 2 to 3 scoops a day. Scoop is provided. The bag is easily sealable and not bulky on my kitchen counter. 1-2 scoops morning or early afternoon (usually before my workout) and one scoop after.

Flavours I tried so far are: Banana Caramel and Strawberry. Strawberry tastes like strawberries (sounds odd but most don't!). Taste with almond milk is more flavoursome, but half the time I use it with water when I am out and about. It surprisingly still tastes nice!

Banana caramel: tastes more like bananas than caramel but I like it nevertheless. Both flavours are very light and not overally sweet like most vegan shakes. Sweetness is actually just about right. Again more flavoursome when used with almond milk or any other milk but still tastes nice with water. A little bit grainy only noticeable when using water.

Mixability

I just chuck it in my shaker with some almond milk or water, shake a few times and done. No clumps hiding in the lid. 10/10

There are more flavours now which I still yet to try such as: chocolate peanut, vanilla, apple strudel, and white chocolate coconut.

I buy two flavours at the one time for variety's sake so I don't get bored.

I have seen some great results from their previous vegan series but due to the taste I didn't take it as much as I am taking this one so I didn't see consistent results. However, I am fairly regular with this one. I take between 2 to 3 scoops a day and the results have been great. Nice lean bigger muscles which is normally hard for me to gain but it's also fair to say it is to do with my diet as I have been working hard on that.

It is good to take late at night if you are still low on protein but not on any other macros. It is so light and low on the rest of the macros that it doesn't compromise the diet and it allows me to reach my macros daily.

My diet is 50%c 30%p 20%f. Focusing on clean sources of food, decreased processed food to occasionally and try not to go over my daily sugar. I avoid any product with artifical colours or sweeners. The protein shake combined with my diet are giving me great results. I don't think one would work as well without the other.

I have noticed increased energy when I take it in the morning or early afternoon as I tend to get sleeper or more fatigued by mid afternoon when I skip my morning shake. Probably thanks to the minerals gained from the pumpkin and quinoa flour.

Vegan Protein Powder is high in fibre and provides a source of Magnesium, Copper and Manganese. This means that every serving of Vegan Protein Powder contributes to muscle function, protein synthesis , energy metabolism and protection from oxidative stress.

My stamina has improved steadily over the past year (since I started this shake and changed my diet). I would workout an hour or less due to tiredness but now I can sometimes even go for 2.5 hours. I don't even push myself to do that, I kind of just do because I have a lot of energy. Which is great because I get fatigued quite a lot.

I always go for 2.5kg as it works out cheaper. It currently costs 49.99 but I have never paid full price since I started using BulkPowder! They always have discount codes or sale, so my average spending on this product at 2.5kg would be between 34 - 37 which is a great value. It is more expensive than their previous vegan shake but this one has so much going on such as the quinoa and pumpkin flour, different flavours and better packaging!

I would say it's extremely good value as long as you are using a discount which hasn't never been a problem during the past two years.

Side Effects

I haven't had any side effects from this shake. It's low on fat, calories and carbs but it can make me feel a bit full for a short period of time. I sometimes burp for a few minutes after a shake but it is not a very regular thing.

Conclusion

With this, I am getting clean ingredients, no artifical sweeners. I am not gluten free but its nice to know it doesn't contain the processed rubbish that makes you bloated. Comes with nice flavours. Excellent gains and amazing value. I have been using this since it came out and I haven't got bored of the flavours I am using, and I still have 5 other flavours to try! I would recommend this to anyone vegan or not. I am not vegan but I am trying to eat clean as much as possible.

It is part of my lifestyle at the moment, and I will probably change it or use something beside it at some point for variety and experiment's sake but I think this will stay as a main source until I find the next best thing!
  • Banana caramel : 9/10