SR Leaderboard (Monday, July 23, 2018)

Top Rated   Best and Worst   Top 100 Users   Exemplary Reviews   Monthly Awards   Rookie of the year   Member of the Month

Exemplary Reviews

These reviews were rated the "most helpful" out of all reviews in the last 30 days.

Syntha 6 Cold Stone Series (BSN)

Overall
Overall
3.0
3.0
(SR paid for product; BSN did not participate)
  July 13, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
    • Stomach Discomfort
    • Bloating
    • High Sodium
    • High Carbs

A not so clean profile with a poor taste considering its marketing for big flavor. Bad mixability and this can give you some stomach issues along the way. Avoid this protein.

38 years old, recovering from total reconstruction surgery on my left ankle, but finally back in the gym! BSN has been a brand that has been around since I can remember, so when I heard they teamed up with Cold Stone Ice Cream to create a Protein flavor, I got very excited. I was hesitant to get it at first, since I have a lot of protein at home, but once the SR crew offered this up, I had to jump on it! So a big thank you to Tommy and Clipper for the opportunity to try this out, lets see if this lived up to my expectations.

This is listed under the meal replacement category here on SR, but I think its just your basic blended protein. Either way the macros we get per scoop (47g) are 200 calories, 6g total fat (2g saturated), 240mg Sodium, 14g Carbs, and 22g Protein. The protein matrix is comprised of Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Casein, Milk Protein Isolate, Egg Whites, and Glutamine Peptides. It is not fully disclosed how much of each protein is actually in here, so we really do not know if we are getting an even distribution of all the proteins, or what the balance truly is. There is a ton of other ingredients, which I will include a picture of as it is too long to list.

The profile really does not do much for me. Granted this is a blended or meal replacement type option, it just appears to me to have a ton of filler ingredients and is a bit high in Carbs and Sodium for the amount of protein you are getting per scoop.

Taste: I recieved the GermanChokolateKake flavor. It did not taste good at all. It was drinkable, but I was expecting good tasting protein with all those filler ingredients, and it was a very bland and poor tasting chocolate shake. You barely get a chocolate flavor from it. I mixed it with milk and water, with milk it was tolerable, but with water it was terrible. Very disappointed here. Perhaps the other flavors are better, who knows.

Mixability: This mixed okay in my shaker at one scoop. Residue would almost immediately settle to the bottom after the initial shakes, so it was completely unavoidable to not have residue on the bottom of the shaker cup. Mixability here was poor.

Dosing: I would take one scoop with milk or water either post workout, or to start my day on rest days. Its a protein powder, so you dose this as needed to fit your daily needs.

So when I saw Clipper only sent me a bag of 9 servings, I was sad. Then I tried the first shake and was glad! I gauge all my protein powders based off digestibility and if it kept me full or not, obviously varying by the protein type. One scoop would always make me feel bloated, and would not digest well at all for me. It would seem to just sit at the bottom of my stomach and be a rock there for half an hour after consuming it. It did in fact keep me full due to this, but not in the good way where you feel satiated, but in the bad way where you feel like you ate too much or have a stomach ache. Poor digestibility and poor taste, that is enough for me to know that this is a very poorly put together protein powder. Very disappointing!

You can get this for $29.58 from bodybuilding.com, or $29.99 from the Vitamin Shoppe or Fitness First USA. This size gets you 25 servings and comes out to about $1.18 per serving. You can buy bigger sizes for more savings as well. However, given that this was not effective for me, and pretty much hurt me versus helping me, there is no value in this. The price is not so great anyways, but it is widely available and you can find it for good deals. No value to be had in my eyes.

Side Effects

Bloating and stomach ache at one scoop, whether I dosed it with milk or water.

Conclusion

This protein is a complete gimmick in my eyes and was one of the biggest supplement let downs for me in 2018. I do not recommend this to anyone, it has a poor ingredient profile and can cause you some discomfort. I could almost look past half of this if the taste was great, but BSN could not even get that right with this flavor. Your mileage may vary, this was my experience, but a big DaSlaya thumbs down!!
    • Germanchokolatekake: 2/10

TEST1FY (Olympus Labs)
    Thanks to Olympus Labs for sending it out!
      July 3, 2018

• Strength Gains
    • Alpha Male
    • Vascularity
    • Fat Loss
    • Pumps
    • Acne
    • 8 Capsules Per Serving

During my run with Test1fy I had multiple clear indicators that my testosterone levels were heightened. I saw big improvements in my weights on compound lifts and was very satisfied with both the physical and mental effects of this product.

Part 2 of my Olympus Labs stack. The results I'll be discussing were the combined effect of taking massacr3 and test1fy side by side. The two supplements complement each other by design, with massacr3 essentially providing the blueprint and test1fy providing the materials. It's up to you to do the construction!

Based on my research on the ingredients listed and the reviews from my fellow TROOPers, I believe I can effectively separate the effectiveness of both products but it should be noted that some of the improvements I noticed were certainly a result of the combo since there is some overlap in their intended use.

While taking this I stuck to a 4-5 day/wk rotation with little to no cardio included, except for shortened rest periods between sets. The typical rotation was lower body, pull day/back, push day/chest, arms/shoulders, and a full body day if the fifth day happened at all. Normally I do a compound movement like cleans, snatchs, squats, or deadlifts to start every workout, regardless of the main focus of the lift afterwards.

Since we're looking at a test booster that can be heavily affected by age, weight, and body composition, I'll add that I'm 31, about 220lbs, with lean composition around 8-12%.

I appreciate that Olympus Labs used a transparent label and trademarked ingredients when formulating and packaging test1fy.

Anacyclus Pyrethrum Extract (3.2g) - This is a whopping dose of an ingredient that has shown great promise for testosterone boosting in lab studies, mostly on rats. If you look at the studies listed on Examine.com, you'll see that the high-end recommended dose is 2.5g for a 250lb person. So, with this product I'm exceeding that recommended dose significantly while also weighing about 30lbs less than the recommended weight. This concerned me a bit at first because side effects of this ingredient can include headaches and canker sores, both of which I'm prone to, but at no point did I experience either one. Studies on rats have also shown increasing effectiveness through long cycles of taking this ingredient, as opposed to ingredients like D-Aspartic Acid which peak and fall off after 12-14 days then return to baseline. I'd say I noticed that building effectiveness in my run with it as well.

KSM-66 Ashwagandha Extract (675mg) - Another whopping dose and a trademarked version of this ingredient, which is known to help reduce cortisol (stress) levels, improve blood pressure, reduce cholesterol, and increase power output.

LJ100 (100mg) - This is not as big a dose, about 50% of what you'd want to take if using as a standalone ingredient, but perfect for the intent here. I believe this was included mainly for its libido boosting properties as well as it's potential to further reduce cortisol levels and increase subjective well-being.

Pine Bark Extract (103mg) - standard dose; athletes supplementing with pine bark extract have exhibited reduced symptoms of fatigue. It is also effective for reducing inflammation and erectile dysfunction. These all lead to it pairing nicely with the other ingredients on the panel.

Mucuna Pruriens P.E. (500mg) - This is a pre-pre-cursor to the feel-good hormone Dopamine. It isn't a massive dose, but should be effective combined with the other ingredients.

Boron (6mg) - This is regularly touted to be a testosterone booster as well. In my experience I've never found it to be terribly effective, but it seems to be in everything. Studies have shown limited effectiveness as well.

Bioperine (10mg) - This helps with absorption of the ingredients.

Overall this ingredient panel is fantastic and well-rounded. You have some great dosages to start, and everything complements each other well. I'd expect noticeable testosterone increases from the Anacyclus Pyrethrum as well as a big libido boost, whereas everything accompanying it should aid in that libido boost further while also improving mood and focus.

No mixability.

This did have a bit of a spicy/earthy taste to it despite being a pill, but hardly noticeable and not bad either.

Dosing might be offensive to some. You need to take 8 rather large pills daily. I took them each day with a big lunch packed with carbs and protein.

I want to re-state that I used this product in tandem with massacr3 and would encourage anyone considering this to also do the same. They really worked well together and provided results that would be similar to a SARM or PH, in my opinion.

The claims made my Olympus Labs on the bottle are as follows:
    - Increase Lean Muscle Mass: (YES) I noticed during my run that my waistline leaned out quite a bit. I had a few people mention to me that I looked thin and jacked by week 2. It's a nice compliment to receive but I had ways of noticing it myself. I had to cinch my belt another notch tighter, for instance. Normally if you're doing that you're sacrificing gains in the gym, but that wasn't at all the case. I had massive increases in weight on my deadlifts, snatches, and cleans. I also noticed improved muscle tone throughout my entire body and longer lasting pumps. My muscles felt more dense and I felt less fatigued throughout my workouts.

- Increase Testosterone Levels: (YES) Unfortunately, there are some crappy things that you can look for to tell if a test booster is working. One of them is pimples. I don't usually get many pimples but I grew a few planetary sized ones during my cycle. One popped up on my shoulder blade, another on my forehead, both around weeks 3 and 4. They were large and painful, but went away after treating them for a few days without ever becoming whiteheads. I also noticed that my forehead was more oily than normal and that I had a few black heads and little tiny pimples throughout most of the cycle. I was also a little rage-y, but that's harder to quantify since those people or things shouldn't have pissed me off in the first place!! That also seemed to last a week or so after my run (see my spaz on DMF in the Troop Chat).

- Decrease Estrogen Levels: (YES) For me this is noticeable by water retention mainly, of which I had none. As mentioned earlier, my body just leaned out significantly. I didn't seem to be retaining any water in my waist or love handles, and my wedding ring was a little looser on my finger.

- Improve Levels of Stress: (YES) Throughout my cycle I felt amazing. I had a great alpha-male mentality from the end of the first week to the end of the bottle. Not surprising considering the number of ingredients geared towards this effect. Things at work never overwhelmed me, even when dealing with some crazy situations that could've turned out to be really bad and affect a lot of people. I seemed to maintain my cool easier and was more composed and relaxed when dealing with clients and execs.

Really, really impressed with this one from top to bottom.

The best price I found for this was at BestPriceNutrition.com for $40.49 while using a priceplow 10% off coupon. The normal price ranges from $45.99 to $69.99. I find this to be a great value anywhere from $45 down. There are less expensive test boosters available on the market, but few that are even close to as effective.

Side Effects

Pimples.

Conclusion

Overall, this is a stack and a standalone product I'd recommend to anyone on the market and one that I DEFINITELY plan to run again myself. It was the most effective NTB stack I've used to-date and can't imagine getting better results from anything legal. Big thanks to OL for their participation here and for letting me give it a shot. If you're reading this and on the fence about whether to buy... don't be. Pull the trigger and go!

Thanks to VMI Sports for sending it out!
      June 23, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Quality Ingredients
    • Tastes Great
    • Mixes Perfectly
    • Better Recovery
    • TRAACS Electrolytes And Minerals
    • Increased Hydration
    • Non GMO
    • May Be Pricey To Some

Protolyte is a superb protein product that will also provide the additional benefits of electrolyte replenishment and BCAAs supplemented recovery. In addition, it provides these benefits and extras without the added artificial ingredients nonsense

First off, an apology to VMI for the delay in this review as it is a few days overdue. Second, per usual, a special thanks to VMI for their continued support here on SR.com. Today, I discuss my experiences with their whey protein isolate Protolyte. We bros love our brotein. Truthfully, protein is probably the most frequently used supplement staple in many regimens. As the basic building block of biological tissue such as muscle tissue, supplementing with protein can help ensure improved muscle recovery and anabolic support to help us reach our goals. It can also aid in dietary goals such as losing or gaining weight depending on your fitness objectives. In short, protein supplements are very versatile and can be used in plenty of applications. There are more protein supplements that one could count on today's market, so it pays to research. From my experience, VMI has delivered with the handful of products that I've used from them, so I was more than eager to try out Protolyte after a great experience with Major Mass.

First, each serving size will provide a total of 105 calories. Furthermore, each scoop contains less than a gram of total fat, 1g of carbs, and 0g of sugar.

Moving on to the more core an feature ingredients, each scoop provides 24g of whey protein isolate. The source of isolate in protolyte is non-gmi and cold processed. This makes the source of protein from Protolyte the cleanest and more bioavailable in nutrients.

Continuing we the find the feature extras of Protolyte in the form of electrolytes, glutamine, and BCAAs. The electrolytes include magnesium bisglycinate chelate at 500mg, calcium bisglycinate chelate at 300mg, potassium glycinate complex at 183mg, an chromium nicotinate glycinate chelate at 8mg. These forms of electrolytes are particularly favored as they are more bioavailable and can be absorbed more efficiently. The extras also include a total of 5.2g of BCAAs and 4g of glutamine for enhanced recovery support.

Lastly Protolyte contains no aspartame, lactose, or gluten.

As one can clearly see, this is definitely a clean, high quality protein product that can be used by any athlete regardless of goals. Though, given the low calorie, carb, and sugar amount, one could argue this is more suitable for those looking to cut fat or recomp.

I received vanilla peanut butter and it was nothing short of delicious. I used water and milk (skim, 1%, or almond) when preparing my shakes with Protolyte. It tasted great in water, but in milk, the flavor was a guilty treat level of good.

It mixed completely and thoroughly in any liquid with any preparation method.

I used Protolyte post workout since I figured the added aminos and electrolytes would do best for my recovery and hydration replenishment. I took one scoop about 30-40 minutes post workout with either water or milk if available. On non-training days, I took one scoop and prepared a morning shake with almond, some fruit, and oats.

I don't want to sound repetitive, but as I said in several past protein product reviews, I grade efficacy on recovery and how it supported my dietary macro quotes.

The high quality protein and the added BCAAs and glutamine helped very well in getting my recovery into high gear. I was much less sore after workouts and didn't experience significant DOMS or "hangover" lethargy the following mornings. This allowed me to continuously go into each planned workout with more energy and endurance.

Combined with great taste, and a subsequent dose of protein and extras, I found this to be a highly effective and convenient way to maintain macro intake. Of course, while I was still getting the main bulk of my nutrients from food, Protolyte helped keep my body in an anabolic favoring environment without adding any unnecessary sugars, fats, or carbs. Furthermore, the electrolytes helped me maintain adequate hydration levels to help avoid and reduce occasional minor muscle cramps I would get in rare instances post workout.

The cheapest price for a standard 1.63 lbs tub containing 25 servings I was able to find was on AllStarHealth for 35 dollars. However, on VMI's direct website, a larger tub containing 70 servings is currently available for 80 dollars.

When comparing these options, in my opinion, the smaller tub is cheaper and more value efficient option. While the larger tub provides more than double the servings, a price of 80- dollars is too steep for my taste. Truthfully, I still find the 35 dollar price a bit pricey as well. Protolyte is highly effective and of superb quality. Also, the extras truly do have a profound additional set of benefits. However, one would definitely want to look out for price deals, coupons, and BOGO options should they ever be offered.

Still, I think Protolyte is worth the investment even for a try.

Side Effects

Conclusion

VMI hit a homerun in the protein supplement market with Protolyte. The high quality protein isolate source combined with the additional benefits of electrolytes, BCAAs, glutamine, being free of unnecessary additives, and having a favorable profile free of excess carbs, sugar, and fats make Protolyte an ideal choice for supporting recovery and hydration. Just be sure you're doing some stringent shopping and keep a lookout for deals when possible due to the price tag.

Oh, and it taste great too.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO RED SOX!!!
    • Vanilla Peanut Butter: 10/10

Cee Bullets (TBN Labs)

Overall
    Overall
    3.0
    3.0
    Thanks to TBN Labs for sending it out!
      July 7, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
      • Outrageous Claims
      • No Real Results

Big claims and no seeable benefits. This product was all hype and no action.

What is going on guys? I've got a creatine review for you today from TBN labs. The claims on the side label of this product were OUTRAGEOUS so I had to give the product a try. As always, I'd like to thank SR and TBN Labs for making this review possible.

Big claims and no seeable benefits. This product was all hype and no action.

2.1g of Creatine Ethyl Ester: '(CEE) is creatine monohydrate with an ester attached. Esters are organic compounds that are formed by esterification - the reaction of carboxylic acid and alcohols.' This a fairly young supplement when compared to its sister forms of creatine so there are multiple arguments for and against it all over the web. Its benefits are similar to that of other creatine products, but it lacks the amount of studies the classic monohydrate have.

440mg of a 'Pro-Octane' blend containing: Glycine L Arginine Alpha Ketoisocaproic,
      Citrulline DL Malate, Taurine, and Histidine: This statement is from nutriline.org, "Glycine-l-arginine-alpha-ketoisocaproic acid (GAKIC) is a safe and natural blend of amino acids that is commonly used by bodybuilders, gym users and athletes to combat muscle fatigue, maintain muscle force during workouts and increase training intensity. Because GAKIC is supported by significant scientific research to offer immediate results when taken before intense exercise, its considered one of the best safe and natural training and performance aids available."

152mg of 'Advance Proprietary Release Blend' containing Beta alanine and Alpha lipoic acid.
      Alpha lipoic acid (ALA) is a fatty acid that is important as an antioxidant, and in energy metabolism. Beta-alanine is known for its endurance benefits.

Taste: No taste as these were in pill form

Mixibility: No mixing necessary

Dosage: For the 'Ultimate Workout' they recommended to take up to 8 pills before and 8 pills after your workout. So, wanting to give the company the best chance to succeed, I took 8 pills before and 8 pills after my workout (and it was a LOT of pills). Swallowing all of these can get tiring but the capsule helps them slide down easier.

There were some BIG claims that this product had on the side of the bottle let's direct a few:

'Freaky STEROID like gains': Sadly I didn't experience anything like this! There was no timetable for when these crazy muscle gains would occur, but I saw no differences In the mirror or on the scale to suggest that I was gaining any significant amount of muscle. Absolutely no 'freaky steroid like gains' were made.

'Explosive strength gains': Once again, no timetable was given for when these strength gains would occur. I followed dosing guidelines to get the most out of the product and I might have gained a very very small amount of strength. Like instead of hitting a lighter weight for 11 reps I could squeeze out 12 (amount of strength thats really not noticeable to someone else watching you lift). None of my 1RM's increased and none of my 3-5 rep maxes increased either. Definitely nothing 'explosive'.

'Fast recovery and extreme energy': I felt absolutely none of these two claims. My recovery/ DOMs did not change due to this product and my energy levels did not change at allllll. I didn't even feel like I got a placebo effect from thinking it would help me.

I felt like I could've been taking sugar pills and got the same results. I really feel like I got nothing out of this product and the crazy 'too good to be true' claims just rubbed me the wrong way.

The cheapest I can find this product is on amazon.com for $29.75. This comes down to just under $2 per day if you take 8 pills before your workout and 8 pills after your workout for they're recommended 'ultimate workout'. If you cut the dosage in half to 4 pills before and 4 pills after then it would come down to around $1 per day. for the benefits I saw, which were none, I don't see barely any value you

Side Effects

Conclusion

I wouldn't recommend this product to anybody. Save your money and buy the much more researched creatine monohydrate for a fraction of the price.

Loaded Protein (Ryse Supps)

Overall
      Thanks to Ryse Supps for sending it out!
        June 27, 2018

• A Little Clumpy

This protein tastes really good and has added MCTs. The only downside is that the product is expensive.

I'm a competing powerlifter, and I go through a lot of protein shakes each week. I try to consume some fat post-workout along with my protein and carbs, so when I saw Ryse's Loaded Protein in the Troops program, I knew I wanted to give it a go. The added MCTs were a big plus for me.

One scoop (38.7g) gives us 140 calories, 25g protein, 5g carbs, (2g fiber, 1g sugar), and 2.5g fat (1.5g saturated). There's also 260g, 200mg potassium, and 120mg calcium.

The protein sources are whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate. The fiber is probiotic fiber added to improve digestion and the amino profile is posted on the side of the tub.

1 scoop gives you 5.2g bcaas (2.4g from leucine), which is pretty normal for a whey powder.

I got Peanut Butter Cup (made with PB2), and it was really delicious, 9.5/10. It had the right balance of chocolate and peanut butter and it had a hint of salt which you would get if you ate a Reese's cup. It's one of the best protein powders I've had, and is the best chocolate peanut butter cup on the market in my opinion.

The mixability is okay. There was a little clumping when I used a shaker but not a lot. I wish the shake had been thicker. This mixed a little thin for my tastes.

I used 1 scoop at a time, usually in a glass of milk but sometimes, I mixed it in yogurt.

My results using Loaded Protein were mostly good. I usually had this protein post workout/for breakfast. It would keep me full for 2-2.5hours which is pretty normal for me.

It was easy to digest. I don't know if the probiotic fiber helped, but it certainly didn't hurt.

In general, my recovery was pretty good while I used Loaded Protein. I was doing an ultra high frequency program at the time, so I had some joint soreness, but that was to be expected.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I saw any benefit from the added MCTs. They're supposed to give you energy, but I didn't notice anything special. It's possible that i don't respond to them. It's also possible that 1g isn't enough.

One 2lb tub retails for $45, which is a lot, $1.66/serving. Only found one "deal" on the product, bringing the price down to $40.5 and the cost per serving to $1.5.

That's just too high in my opinion. The protein tastes very good, but taste alone isn't enough to justify the expense. It would be one thing if the product was unique, but there are two other protein powders that I know of with added fats (one has MCTs and the other sunflower oil), and they're cheaper $ ($1.16 and $1.33/serving respectively).

Perhaps if this was a pure whey isolate or there were more MCTs, I could understand the price. But right now, it's just not competitive.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I enjoyed Loaded Protein. Ryse definitely brought the flavor, but it's too expensive to be a go to protein for me. Perhaps if I was in the mood to splurge.
      • Peanut Butter Cup: 9/10