Stacked Protein Reviews

Overall
Overall
  August 21, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Tasting
  • Good On Digestion
  • Propietary Blend

This was the first protein blend that I had ever tried. I had always used Gold Standard (which I guess is technically a blend but only of fast digesting proteins) and impact whey so I was excited to try a proper blend of fast and slow digesting proteins. I considered Combat whey by musclepharm but the amino spiking allegations turned me off so I chose this product because I am generally a fan of EVL products and it is basically a clone of combat powder according to the ingredient list.

The main feature is the 5 protein blend consisting of (in order of most common to least) whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, whey protein hydroslate, casein, and egg white protein. While this is a pretty good list of proteins, hitting all of the marks for me as far was what kind of quality proteins I want to be putting in my body in a shake, I really do not like how the exact ratio of the proteins is non disclosed. For me, this leads to paranoia that its about 95% fast digesting proteins and only 5% casein and egg white proteins (especially because it is not notably thicker than any other whey concentrate on mixing). I have no problem with fast digesting proteins after or before a workout but the problem comes when you want to use it between meals, before bed, etc.

The point of a protein blend with slower digesting proteins is that it will keep you in an anabolic state longer but if the anabolic state is really diminished by just having one or two of the proteins being dominant then it is no better than any other whey protein concentrate in my opinion.

The other things on this ingredient label that I do like is the glutamine blend added in and the proteases near the bottom of the label. The glutamine is sort of accessory and neat but I like having the protease blend in the protein to aid some in digestion.

Taste/Mixability

The taste and mixability of this protein really are top notch, up there with the gold standard protein which I consider to be top tier. I usually put 1-1.5 scoops into about 1.25 cups of water and after shaking for just about 10 seconds it was just as smooth as any protein that I have had.

As far as taste, I got the chocolate decadence and the chocolate peanut butter. The chocolate decadence was just about the most boiler plate basic chocolate protein that we have all had a million times. It was not bad, but it certainly wasn't something that I would buy again based just on taste. The chocolate peanut butter was great and one of the better tasting proteins that I have had. If I order another tub of stacked protein this is likely the flavor that I would go with.

You know I have never really noticed that a single protein brand has given me better results than another brand. I have always been a person who kind of thinks that as long as you are getting some sort of fast digesting protein into your body post workout you will be just fine. With that being said, I think that over the past 2 months of using this protein I would say that the results have been positive. I would typically do 1 scoop preworkout with an apple and 1.5 scoop post workout with some gummy bears or marshmallows. I have noticed that my recovery has been just about the same as it was with any other protein but my performance in gym and ability to retain muscle mass while dropping weight has increased. Whether this is placebo or due to some outside factor is entirely possible as well. Since starting this protein I have cut calories some and tried to drop some body fat. I have noticed that this protein helped some more than the impact whey by myprotein did when I tried the same thing with that protein, but I wouldn't say it merits a purchase based on that. A million other factors could have contributed to this being the case for me.

The value is just about what I would expect for protein nowadays. Not overly cheap but not too expensive either when compared to its contemporaries. Bodybuilding.com has a basically permanent "2 for $75" sale on their site for the 4lb size option (98 servings total). Like I said, not on the cheaper end of proteins but not outrageous in my mind.

Conclusion

Overall, I think that this a solid protein choice and that anyone who bought it would not regret their purchase. However, I think that on my next protein purchase I will try and opt for a non proprietary blend.
  • Chocolate Peanut Butter: 9/10
  • Chocolate Decadence: 7/10

• MarsheS
    August 21, 2017

I've tried the Chocolate Decadence flavor and I wouldn't consider it as a basic chocolate protein we've had many times. It's a mix between Dark Chocolate and regular Chocolate and when you drink it, the liquid "fades" in your mouth (which is why they call it "Decadence"). I loved it.

• August 21, 2017

@MarsheS that is surprising to hear you say that I thought that the chocolate decadence was pretty basic for a chocolate protein. I personally didn't get the complexity of the flavor that you did but to each his own.

• jamesjsix
    March 3, 2018

I've had the chocolate peanut butter of this stuff and thought it was pretty tasty as well, nice review. I kinda forgot this stuff existed, but the new lean version might make me look at EVL again.