RecoverMode Reviews

By: EVLution Nutrition

Amino Acids > Recovery
RecoverMode is a Recovery Product manufactured by EVLution Nutrition. It is an amino acid based product that is designed to assist in workout recovery.

Overall
Thanks to EVLution Nutrition for sending it out!
  July 19, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Versatile
  • Hydration Support
  • Improved Recovery
  • Performance Improvement
  • Robust Profile

Solid post-workout recovery but truly shines as a stand-alone intra-workout BCAA product.

As I've written in other reviews, I'm a fan of consistently supplementing BCAAs for overall health and recovery. I try to ensure I'm ingesting 5-10g of BCAAs every morning during my fasted window, regardless of whether I work out or not. I've also experimented with heavy doses of BCAAs, up to 40g daily, in order to determine the optimal dosage-to-recovery ratio. Personally I notice solid DOMS improvement at ~15g BCAA daily, with no noticeable benefits beyond that dosage. For measurement purposes, I'm 6'1" and 205 lbs.

Recover Mode was an interesting pickup for me. Listed as a post-workout product, the profile is essentially that of a loaded intra-workout. I was already running a simpler BCAA product however I do not usually supplement anything postworkout as I lift in the morning, in the middle of my fasted window. I've actually, GASP, stopped supplementing protein as a result of maintaining this eating regimen, thus I figured Recover Mode would be a good addition to my stack.

For most of my BCAA supplements I am primarily concerned with the actual dosing of BCAAs. 5g of essential BCAAs per serving has been clinically proven to be the minimum effective dose for an average-sized human. Recover Mode includes 5g at a 2:1:1 ratio along with a LOT of other goodies. Notable are the minerals and electrolytes for hydration support, 3g of Glutamine for recovery, as well as 2.25g of Creatine Monohydrate, which I can personally do without.

Also included are some common players in pre-workout and intra-workout products. You're getting a light dose of Beta Alanine (1.6g) and a solid dose of Taurine (1g), which are common non-essential amino acids used to support and improve athletic performance. Interesting to have these in a post-workout, but the benefits list is long for these two ingredients so I can see why they are included.

In that same vein, one scoop also nets you 1.5g of Betain, another ingredient with a long list of claims revolving around improved performance and muscle gain, and 1g of L-Carnitine which, once again, is a common ingredient in other types of supplements given its role in energy production.

Long story short, you've got a wealth of common ingredients to support hydration, muscular endurance, performance, and energy production but not a whole lot of specific recovery-boosting ingredients aside from the BCAAs and Glutamine.

I received the Blue Razz flavor which is VERY strong, even in 32oz. of water. Taste-wise it is standard for a blue raspberry flavored supplement. Nicely done, not overly sweet, no medicinal aftertaste. The dyes and flavoring are heavy but overall not bad.

I generally dumped one scoop into my 32oz. bottle and sipped post-workout. I did experiment with this as a stand-alone intra-workout a few times as well. Mixes well with minimal foaming or residue.

I personally can't tell the difference between most BCAA products. I do notice a difference in my general recovery time and the amount of DOMS I experience when I'm taking a BCAA versus when I'm not, but not usually between individual supplements. And, as I mentioned above, I've found my personal threshold of performance improvement maxes out at ~15g of BCAA daily.

Yes, I was running other BCAA supplements during my time on Recover Mode, but I do think the combination of these products was a plus. I was getting 5-7g BCAA intra-workout, and another 5g from Recover Mode post-workout, and I definitely felt like my DOMS was as light as it can get. I was dealing with minimal soreness most days and felt refreshed and energized post-workout. I do wonder if, without additional BCAA support, Recover Mode would be as effective on its own. While I really like the profile, it's not as loaded with recovery-focused ingredients as you might find for example there's nothing to address glucose replenishment. Not a big deal for me, just a note given how this supplement is categorized.

As stated in the summary, I thought Recover Mode was fantastic as a standalone intra-workout. The wealth of performance-focused ingredients combined with the hydration support excelled at providing that extra boost to get through my workouts, to carve out a few more reps, and to just generally feel like I hit the weights hard. I think I would honestly say I preferred Recover Mode as an intra-workout given how effective it was.

Most solid BCAA supplements will cost you around .80c per serving. Some of the flashier products with broader ingredient profiles will run you closer to $1.00 per scoop.

At $30 for 30 scoops, this is exactly what I would expect to pay for Recover Mode and, honestly, I think this is a good value. You're getting a versatile, loaded product with effective doses across the board.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you've got the cash to blow for a post-workout stacker, this is a good option, but I'd absolutely recommend this as a straight up intra-workout. You're getting more from Recover Mode than most other basic BCAAs at a good price point. Nice work from EVL on this product. Definitely one I'll grab again in the future.
    • Blue Razz: 7/10

February 19, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Whey Alternative
    • Possible Beta-Alanine Tingles
    • More Aminos Would Be Great

Hello all! Full intro on myself can be found on the forum here: https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=35432.0

I originally purchased this product when I was ordering some other EVL items and needed some extra money to hit their free shipping threshold. Since I am not a big fan of drinking a whey protein shake after training, I decided to give this a shot to see if it could help with my recovery and DOMS.

Supplement Facts

L-Carnitine L-Tartrate 1,000mg
    L-Taurine 1,000mg
    Calci-K (Calcium Potassium Phosphate Citrate) 1,000mg
    Black Pepper (Piper Nigrum) Fruit Extract (BioPerine) 5.3mg

As with many EVL products, this has a full disclosure label so we can see exactly the dosages are for each ingredient. The main issue I have with the ingredient profile is the amount of BCAAs in each scoop. With this being marketed as a replenish, repair and rebuild product; I would like to see a much higher dose of the aminos or at least a higher dose of Leucine. In my opinion, 5g might be enough to replenish but not enough to repair and rebuild muscle tissue after a weight lifting session. Other than that, there is nothing more I can complain about with the ingredient profile. It has everything I would be looking for in a product like this.

Taste >> Currently this only comes in two flavors, grape and blue razz. Honestly, none of those two really appeal to me but when forced to choose, grape was the one I purchased. The grape flavor wasn't terrible nor was it very strong since it is recommended using 12-14 oz of water per scoop. If you have had almost any other grape amino product on the market, this one is quite similar to those. I really hope they come out with more flavors of this product. Specifically I hope they make it using their cherry limeade flavoring system, which I love in their other products.

Mixability >> Each scoop of this product is 21 grams, so quite large compared to an amino product that does not contain all the extra ingredients. To get everything to dissolve in water took a little bit of time and additional shaking. The first effort after adding a scoop would dissolve about 80% of the powder into water. If left to sit for a minute or so, you will see some settling at the bottom. A few more shakes and everything is mixed up again and ready to drink. There was some foam after shaking but nothing too bad and it quickly went down in the shaker cup.

Dosing >> The tub states to mix one scoop is 12-14 oz of cold water after training. You can vary the amount of water to achieve the flavor strength desired. There is no reference to limiting the number of servings per day, so you could use it more often if you happen to train with weights twice a day. Also since there are no stimulants in this product, you do not have to worry about taking it too late in the day and possibly effecting your sleeping patterns.

As someone who personally does not like or have the appetite for consuming a whey or whey/casein blend protein shake after a workout, this product was perfect for me. I would have a scoop of this product in a funnel in my gym bag for after I finished with the weights. If I was dragging after the workout, this provided me with some energy to get going on the rest of my day. Long term, it was mostly effective at keeping DOMS at bay. After a few particularly tough workouts, I would still experience some muscle soreness; which is why I mentioned that I would like to see the amino dosage increased a bit. This product was also effective at not upsetting my stomach which sometimes can happen to me when I try to drink whey protein too soon after a workout. There was also a good feeling knowing I was getting a dose of multiple vitamins along with some electrolytes and my creatine with each scoop.

As someone who consumes BCAAs intra workout, I believe those may have also enhanced the effectiveness of this product when taken post workout. If you are someone who does not take BCAAs intra workout, I can not speak to its effectiveness from that standpoint. The other ingredients post workout have been shown in studies to help with recovery, so you will have those going for you none the less.

Currently listed for $29.99 on the EVL website for a 30 serving tub. The thing with EVL is the website always seems to have some deal going on. If you follow them on social media, you will be notified anytime they have a sale. Sometimes it is for specific products while other times it is a flat percentage off anything on the site. They also provide a nice discount to members of the military and first responders. If you are a member of one of those groups, there is no need to wait for a sale.

In terms of the value/price at retail cost, this product works out to be $1.00 per serving, which is average in my opinion. A similar product that comes to my mind is Post Jym, which is 30 servings for $37.99 on BB.com. This product is a better value per serving than Post Jym but you are limited in flavor selection by comparison.

Side Effects

I did not experience any side effects. For those sensitive to Beta-Alanine, each scoop does contain 1.6g, so some tingles might happen. Also take note that this does contain some creatine monohydrate, as that can cause stomach issues for some.

Conclusion

In conclusion, this is my current go to post workout shake even though the flavor is just average in my opinion. I like the ingredients included and it is effective after most of my workouts. If I know I have a tougher workout planned, I may add in an extra 5g of BCAAs from another product to meet the dosage that I desire. If you are a person like me who doesn't like whey post workout but still wants to kick start the recovery process, this product is definitely one worth looking into. If you happen to like grape or blue razz flavored products, even better!

Thank you for reading my review and let me know if you have any questions
    • Grape: 5/10