Pump Mode Reviews

Overall
2.5
  August 22, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Mixability
  • Poor Dosing

First of all, this is the first real pump enhancer that I have ever tried and so I was excited to give it a shot. I had seen advertisements hyping up the stacking of this and EVL's preworkout ENGN (which I am a fan of). Upon looking at the ingredient list I was none too impressed at the sparse offerings in the label but given that ENGN has essentially NO real effective pump agents I figured something was better than nothing. Still, it was a little too expensive for me until amazon had a lightning deal which put 30 servings at $10 and gave me the chance to try it out.

Vitamin C: 500mg
Vitamin D: 500IU

Hydromax Glycerol: 1500mg
Betaine Nitrate: 1000mg

That is it. There is no Citrulline malate, L-Citrulline, Arginine, etc. The only pump enhancers in this formula are the Betaine and the Glycerol. Both of these ingredients are underdoes in my opinion as well.

The jury is still out on whether or not Glycerol actually helps with pump all that much the only thing we're sure of is that it aids in hydration. Even with it's assistance in the pump being dubious it is typically dosed at 3g minimum to have a noticeable effect. In this formula it comes in at half of that making it not really practical for what it is supposed to be used for.

The Betaine has a little more scientific backing behind it but even that comes in underdosed at 1g rather than the 1.5-2g we typically see in products like this.

So all in all on the ingredient profile, it is incredibly underwhelming

Taste/Mixability

The mixability on this product is fine if a little bit chalky. I usually mix it with my preworkout so I do not really notice any problems with taste or consistency but I have a couple of times mixed it with my protein pre workout and it makes the drink taste really sour and unpleasant. Like I said, in the preworkout I can hardly tell it is there but it is not something that I would want to drink on its own.

The effectiveness is just about what you would expect from the label: underwhelming. I noticed no tangible enhancements to pump or recovery that I would attribute in a major way to this product. The only reason that the score for this section is not lower is because, even if it is placebo, there was a little bit of an effect. The betaine specifically is also an ingredient that should have been more prominent in the ENGN proper so its inclusion here is nice.

For this ingredient list, the $18.99 per 30 servings they charge on amazon is outrageous. These ingredients should be in every tub of ENGN and not on their own, but if EVL insists on putting it out on its own they need to charge accordingly. To me, the price for what you are getting does not merit the purchase even once.

Side Effects

No real side effects that I can think of.

Conclusion

Overall, I was very disappointed in this product because I have come to be a fan of the EVL lineup. Would not recommend this to anyone looking for a good pump enhancer and I don't plan on ever buying this again for myself. The only people I would recommend this for are people who really love the ENGN preworkout but, like me, want these ingredients in there.

• royalapple
    March 30, 2018

I can't stand products like this haha. Blows my mind.

• rodefeeh
    September 28, 2018

Betaine Nitrate is the pump ingredient, not just Betaine. I'm not too up on the science behind nitrates, but I see nitrates are usually bonded to other things like Betaine, Creatine, Arginine. The Nitrate portion of the ingredient is what is really going to give you the pump. I just went through a tub of VasoBLITZ that had 2g of Arginine Nitrate. This was really effective for me, but the directions said to take VasoBLITZ everyday to let the nitrates build up in your system. I think the directions on Pump Mode say to take 1-2 servings. Did you ever try 2 servings? Maybe Pump Mode just needs to be taken everyday and at higher doses. Also, you don't need Citrulline to get a good pump. There are other ingredients that get you good pumps, so don't bash it just because it doesn't have Citrulline or Arginine. Arginine by itself sucks by the way.