Alpha-Ex Reviews

By: Enzo Nutrition

Alpha-Ex is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Enzo Nutrition. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

August 28, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Focus
  • Mood
  • Pumps
    Ever heard of Enzo Nutrition of their pre-workout Alpha-EX? Me either until they popped up on the SR TROOP dashboard. I love giving new companies I don't know about a try so I knew i had to sign up for this. Thank you to Enzo Nutrition and SR for making this review possible.

This has to be one of the most complete profiles I've come across in a long time. The profile isn't just completely open and transparent but beside each category it list if the product is for the body, mind, or whole body. I've never seen that before and while it may seem unimportant to some I enjoy it.

Here's some key highlights of the formula

L-Citrulline 6g
    Taurine 1.5g
    Beta Alanine 3.22g
    Creatine HCI 2g
    Betaine 1.5g
    DMAE 100mg
    Phenethylamine 500mg
    Caffeine 250mg

There are many other ingrediants included in the profile but the ones listed before are at correct and amazing doses. You'll have no issue getting a pump with the Citrulline and Taurine combination. Strength and endurance output should be increased with the Beta Alanine, Creatine, and Betaine. And you'll have no issue feeling the rush of energy and focus with DMAE, caffeine, and phenethylamine.

2 scoops 20 minutes pre workout in 16oz of water and I was set and ready to roll every time. What is a bozzleberry you may ask? It's a great tasting and unique flavor to me. Very tart and not overly sweet at all, mixed well and no bad aftertaste.

Ah, everyone's favorite spot of a pre workout review! Heck you may have just skipped to this part just to get to the good stuff. I had high expectations from Alpha-Ex with the profile and it didn't disappoint to me at all.

Enzo Nutrition describes Alpha-Ex in the following way "Alpha-Ex pre-workout contains carefully selected ergogenic and nootropic ingredients to provide performance enhancing benefits that make the most of your workout."

I couldn't agree more with them.

Pump: 6g of citrulline works magic for me every time and it out performs other pump ingrediants for me so I knew what to expect here. Nothing skin splitting and I knew the taurine would add a nice touch and after the few high rep warm up sets i could really feel the blood flowing.

Endurance: This is where the Beta Alanine, Betaine, and Creatine play an important role. Personally I believe endurance is more of a mental attribute than physical and I always keep high energy in the gym never slowing down. So I didn't notice any endurance increase myself.

Strength: This is where the ingrediants mentioned in the endurance section come into play again. And again it's hard for me to contribute any strength increase to a pre-workout because that depends on nutrition, training style, and the factor to get past mental blocks for me.

Focus: Easily one of my favorites part about my 20 workouts with Alpha-Ex. The focus kicked in as soon as I would put those head phones on and warmed up. I was able to push everything out of my mind and think about nothing but that workout and pushing myself as hard as I could. This is the definition of tunnel vision for me.

Energy: I enjoyed that Alpha-Ex came with a modest 250mg of caffeine as there's no reason for more. Especially with you include 100mg of DMAE! Energy kicked in fast and never let up with no crash or tolerance build up personally.

No pre-workout worth anything can cheap, it's just a realization we as consumers have to accept. Alpha-Ex is found direct at their web store for $35.99 before shipping and tax. This breaks down to $1.79 per serving, not too much over my liking of $1.50 per serving. I've come to a realization that if my girlfriend can spend $4 a day on a frappe at starbucks then I can have my pre workouts, who's with me guys??

Conclusion

Enzo Nutrition came out of no where and surprised me big time with Alpha-Ex. They hit all my benchmarks with the open profile, big time focus and energy, and a solid ergogenic support. Alpha-Ex belongs on your list of pre workouts to try out and it won't disappoint.
    • Bozzleberry: 9/10

August 22, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Focus
    • Mood

Thanks to Enzo Nutrition for participating in the TROOPs program. I am normally not one to pick up PWO through the TROOPs as I stocked up on some a couple of years ago and still have 4-5 PWOs in my deep freeze. The profile for Alpha-EX caught my eye though so I thought I would give it a try.
    I switched over to DC training at the beginning of June as it was a program I felt fit my schedule and hoped it would give me that little mental push that I seemed to be missing in the gym. I got Alapha-EX a couple of weeks into DC training and was not disappointed with it. It gave me that little boost and extra mental drive to complete some extra reps and push through the set and rep schemes laid out in DC.

Nothing out of the ordinary ingredient wise. It is a solid profile that is broken out into different categories with each category fully disclosed. I am starting to prefer to see ingredient profiles like this (broken out by category) even if they aren't fully disclosed. I really keyed in on the Nootropic Focus & Drive Amplifier category and the Adrenaline & Energy Complex category when I was trying to decide if I wanted to give this a shot. These are the two main things (energy and focus) I enjoy in a PWO and I felt Alpha-EX had a solid profile for each even though I felt the caffeine was a bit on the lighter side for me (250mg). The other categories on the label are a Pump & Cell Volumizer, Strength & Endurance Matrix, and Absorption Enhancer.

Currently the only flavor for Alpha-EX is bozzleberry. I saw that and the only thing I could think about was Super Troopers, "these snozzberries taste like snozzberries." I did not know what to think about the flavor. It is a little tart and berry-ish but could not really put a finger on an exact taste to relate it to. It was somewhat under whelming but not a flavor I was completely turned off to. Not something I looked forward to each time but not something I was completely dreading either.

A full serving size was 2 scoops with the container having 20 servings. I dosed it at 2 scoops throughout and got about 7-8 weeks of use out of it. I only used this on my weight lifting days which is 3 days a week with DC training.

Mixability was not that great but was not poor either. I would usually mix it in about 8 oz of water as I do not like to get water logged before working out. I would shake vigorously for about 10 seconds but would always have some settling. More water probably could have solved. Settling is not usually a big issue for me though as I have a habit of swirling my shaker cup before taking a drink. This would usually stir it up enough to where by the time I got to the last drink there was minimal if any left in the shaker cup.

Enzo Nutrition came to the market with a solid product that provided consistent results throughout the use of the product. This really hit me the first week I took it. I had an intense focus and just enough energy in the gym to carry me through my workout. I really started to dread the widowmaker sets (20 rep) for front squats, squats and leg press I was doing as part of the DC program. Alpha-Ex helped me get focused and my mind set right to be able to power through these reps even when they started to get tough and I was wanting to quit. The energy for me was not overpowering and was just enough to get me going and keep me going most workouts. The 250 mg of caffeine in Alpha-Ex will work for most people but I wanted a little more.

People may shun away from this product based on the price. 20 servings for $35.99 through the Enzo Nutrition website. Tack on tax and shipping and it raises it up to $45. You can also pick it up through Amazon which I would assume would be free shipping if you have Amazon Prime. I would recommend you pick it up through Amazon if you have Prime or wait from some kind of sale. With the shipping and tax, it makes it hard even for me to want to buy another tub but it was a solid performer that I would not have a problem spending the extra money on occasion.

Side Effects

Nothing negative to report.

Conclusion

Enzo Nutrition brought their A game when bringing this PWO to market. It is a consistent performer with solid ingredients and a fully disclosed label. It would be nice to see another version with the caffeine upped to 350-400mg for us stim junkies but not something that will make me shy away from this product for future use.
    • Bozzleberry: 5/10

August 13, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Focus
    • Mood
    • Strenght
    • Pumps

Sorry for the delay in the review, been having some computer issues and cannot post on the phone. Well lately I have been hitting it pretty hard with a 6 day a week lean mass program and have been loving the results. I can say that this preworkout has been a great addition to my 5am wake up and gets me going to get a quality workout in.

This is a rather comprehensive profile. I will note that it is 2 scoops per serving and only 20 servings per tub, so with the program I am using this tub only lasted me a little over 3 weeks. The label is fully disclosed and is separated into the specific purposes of each ingredient which I like. It contains a full 6g of Cit Mal, 1.5g of Taurine, 1.25g of Betaine, 2g of Creatine HCL, 250mg of caffiene, 500mg of PEA, Hordenine, Beta Alanine L-Carnitine, and a few others along with Bioprene for absorbtion. All around a good profile, not a ton in the pump department and if there was one thing I would add it would be agmatine.

The bozzleberry was a tart tasting berry flavor but it was good and easy to drink but not delicious. All around it was a solid 7.5, not bad at all. Mixability was fine, there was grain left over to swish and swallow but thats it.

Like I stated in my introduction, I really liked this product. The energy and focus especially. It wasn't necessarily tunnel vision but it certainly got me focused and going. Endurance was great and I felt like I got the most out of each workout without losing out because of lack of endurance. I was noticing the leaness coming through and flexing was bringing out the veins in my shoulders, chest, and arms pretty well as well and pumped and full muscles. Energy was great with PEA, DMAE, and 250mg of caffeine was spot on for me. I always felt like I had enough for another set and left the gym dripping, pumped and satisfied.

The value with this is pretty good for what you get but can be a bit of a stumbling block as you only get 20 workouts for the 39.99 price tag. At this price you can get a couple more workouts at a slightly cheaper price from a comparable product like Nutrabio PRE but overall not a bad value at all.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall, if you are looking for something different to rustle your jimmies and give you a solid workout with energy, focus, and endurance I would definitely recommend giving this a shot.
      • Bozzleberry: 8/10

6.4
        July 29, 2016

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Focus
      • Decreased Effectiveness

Hey SR! Hope the summer is going well for you all. A quick thank you to SR's TROOPS Program and Enzo Nutrition for allowing me to try their pre-workout! I've had my fair share of these products and will share the experience I've had with Alpha-Ex

Since the supplement industry has exploded, many consumers can recognize a decent profile on popular products. Enzo's stimulant preworkout would be one such. It includes properly dosed pump-inducing ingredients, focus/energy promoting complexes and more. See the label below. Here's the note from Enzo's rep
      "Enzo Nutrition's Alpha Ex is the most thorough pre workout supplement you will find. Using cutting edge Nootropic ingredients, Alpha Ex provides long lasting energy, focus without the jitters, and a mind muscle connection comes unmatched. While also providing a variety of ergogenic supplements including, but not limited to: 6g of Citrulline Malate, 3.2g of Beta Alanine, 1.25g of Betaine, and 2g of Creatine HCl. Alpha Ex Benefits: -Skin stretching pumps -Increased endurance with more reps -Increases strength power and performance -Long lasting focus -Energy without the jitters -Increased mind muscle connection -Accelerated Recovery -Increased Drive and Motivation Alpha Ex provides a 100% transparent label with fully dosed ingredients and no proprietary blends or fillers."

The taste is not a strong selling point for this product. I found it to be similar to the unpleasant flavor of medicine (though not overwhelming), but that may be just me. Mixability is fine so long as you take the Alpha-Ex soon if not immediately after mixing well. If it sits for more than a couple of minutes, there will be a significant amount of settling. Dosing was simple though. This product was not used every day, but only 3-4 times per week, 15 minutes before beginning training.

After using preworkout products for almost four years, it's hard to find a product that really stands out from the insanely large sea of supplements of this category. I will say though, that Alpha-Ex can certainly be a dependable option. I'll judge effectiveness in the following categories entailed by note from Enzo's rep
      -Pumps-
      These were pretty strong for me! The doses of L-Citrulline and Betaine were sufficient to supply the pumps needed to be satisfied with each workout. Albeit these were not significant in terms of other products I've tried, but they were full, solid, and "skin-stretching" nonetheless. But I suppose that is what defines a "pump".. lol
      -Endurance-
      Endurance was increased while using Alpha-Ex. My intensity during workouts was allowed to be increased while maintaining the usual amount of time in the gym. I'd be able to handle two hours in the gym regularly if I felt it was needed. Accessory sets were enjoyable with every rep! Reps weren't increased however, as a result of the product (not that I'd attribute).
      -Strength-
      While running this product, I made some pretty good strength gains! I've programmed my bench from 265 1RM to 275 over the course of 4 weeks. Having done so, my rep ranges and working sets have increased in strength as well. While I would find my diet and training program to be the result of my gains, I can say that this preworkout certainly helped me give my all in the gym.
      -Focus (mind-muscle connection)-
      With the inclusion of DMAE, focus was strong in this category, for a while anyway. I seemed to respond well to this ingredient for the first couple of weeks. Coming into the gym I would be razor focused with every set, to the very end of each session. Each rep felt fully intentional, especially compound lifts that required more attention. However, the efficacy of this aspect seemed to decline after use, possibly from built tolerance. Once I'd used the product enough, it seemed almost as though my focus was completely unaffected after dosing.
      -Energy-
      This department is quite similar to the experience I had with focus. When first using this product, energy was noticeably increased. However, after more regular use, energy boosts seemed to drop to point where it was nearly nonexistent. I found this to be very strange because 250mg of caffeine is usually the sweet spot for me.

Alpha-Ex is currently available in 20 servings per container, each going for $40. Depending on how you look at the value of what's inside and what you actually get out of it, this product may be seen at a fair price. However, I personally did not get lasting* ergogenic effects from this preworkout and cannot deem each serving worth $2. The profile is still hefty!

Side Effects

Conclusion

In all, this was a fine experience with Alpha-Ex. The initial use of this product just about blew me away. My early* workouts were always in good supply of energy while directed with clean focus. Unfortunately, the said effects seemed short-lived and did not last to the end of the tub. Luckily though, I still had great pumps throughout! The lack of energy and focus towards the last half may be due to personal tolerance and may work out (lol) better for others. Still a decent product, but would not recommend to a friend.
      • Bozzleberry: 6/10

9.2
        July 27, 2016

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Focus
      • Mood
      • Strenght
      • Not Much Of A Pump

Greetings SR, here today to do a review a review for Enzo Nutrition's pre-workout Alpha-Ex. As far as current goals, I was cutting for a long time for my wedding, and used this to kind of get back into more of a strength routine and get some of that back. I recently found out I have a torn ACL however, so I may go back to try and lean out as much as possible to as I'm sure cardio will not be great after surgery in December. I had been taking a lot of fat burners, and this was the first real true pre-workout I had taken in awhile, and I was impressed.

I attached the supplement facts, and as you can see, it loaded with lots of high quality ingredients that are well proven and well dosed. Some highlights:

Pump: 6 grams of Citrulline and 1.5 grams of Taurine
      Strength: 3.2 grams of Beta-Alanine, 2 grams of Creatine HCL, 1.25 Betaine
      Focus: Carnitine, Huperzine, Tyrosine, DMAE
      Energy: Caffeine (250 mg), Phenethylamine, Hordenine
      Absorption: Bioperine

A very very stacked profile that addresses every category you need in a preworkout. The doses are legit and the ingredients are very well known and proven. I was impressed. I like the Creatine HCL, I only use about 3 grams of monohydrate so 2 grams of HCL is sufficient for me. My only quips with the profile, and I may be in the minority, is that I usually don't respond too well to Citrulline for pumps, usually just agmatine and beet root. Also, there are artificial dyes. Enzo Nutrition was very proactive in asking what I thought about this, and when I mentioned the artificial dyes they said they were working on a more natural version. Overall, a very nice profile.

Full dose is 2 scoops pre-workout. Easy. Mixability was great, no grittiness, excessive foaming, floaters, etc.

As far as taste, it was absolutely delicious. I had the bozzleberry flavor. What is a bozzleberry? No idea but it was amazing. It's really a mixture of several tart and sweet berry flavors like raspberry, etc. As for myself, I much prefer more sour flavors than overly sweet so this was right up my alley.

I'll break it down my goal and category.

Pump: Had an ok pump some days, other days it just wasn't there. If Citrulline does a good job for you, this probably will ok, it just did to hit for me.

Strength: I had consistent and steady strength gains getting back into the program. This really helped with my weight lifting endurance as I was able to incorporate more sets and reps. I also felt stronger and fuller getting back into creatine, which helped my muscles fill back out.

Focus: This is an area I really have come to enjoy and look for in products, and Alpha-Ex nailed. Tons of focus and mood elevation. Looked forward to taking it and made me have better gym sessions.

Energy: at 250 mg of caffeine, it isn't overly stim heavy and along with the other stims it provided nice, sustained clean energy without a crash that lasted my entire workout. Very nice.

So, besides for the pump aspect, this was a highly effective pre-workout that I loved to take and would definitely use again.

This is where it gets a little rough. This costs $40 for 20 full servings. A 5 day a week workout plan gets you a month which is ok, but 30 servings is better. If you are new to preworkouts or not very stim tolerant, you could maybe get by at 1-1.5 scoops which would help the value, but most of would need/want the 2 scoops and that's $2.00 a serving. It is packed with a ton of great ingredients so I expect it to be pricey, but it's still pretty high.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Great profile, very effective, and delicious. This is a winner for me and will definitely buy again, especially if the price comes down some.