(Better than 88% in Casein Protein)

Elite Casein is a Casein Protein Powder manufactured by Dymatize Nutrition. It utilizes the slowest digesting form of protein. Often used for a time released version of protein, it will help increase muscle recovery and strength.
FORUM TOPICS

9.3
  June 22, 2018

• Desired Flavor May Effect Price

From the brand:

Dymatize Elite Casein helps keep your muscles supplied with a steady stream of amino acids, the building blocks of muscle. This helps avoid the catabolic state of muscle protein breakdown that begins to happen when your muscles are deprived of the right nutrients. Casein is a unique protein derived from milk that breaks down slowly in your digestive system, keeping you fuller longer and providing a sustained release of muscle-building amino acids. This makes casein the ideal choice any time your body goes without protein for an extended period, especially just before bedtime.

Hello all. Full intro about myself can be found here in the forum: https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=35432.0

First off, thank you to Dymatize for participating in the SR.com TROOPer program and making this product available for us to try and review. For those unfamiliar, casein proteins absorb much slower than whey proteins, allowing for a longer-term release of amino acids into the bloodstream. Dymatize is known for their high-quality ISO 100 and Elite Whey proteins but their casein seems to fly under the radar in my opinion. Let's see how this tub went for me and if it deserves the same acclaim as the others.

As you would expect from a single source protein powder, the ingredient profile is pretty straight-forward here. Your first ingredient and the vast majority of each scoop is micellar casein. A brief description of this protein found from doing a Google search is: Casein protein is the protein found in the curds of milk and is slowly absorbed by the body. This contrasts to the most popular supplement on the sports nutrition market, whey protein, which is used for its fast absorption rate. Casein has earned the name 'the bedtime protein because it is most commonly consumed before sleep to provide the body with a slow releasing source of protein over an extended period of time.

The benefits of casein can be summed up with: Supplementing with casein just before going to sleep, it can be absorbed throughout the night, benefiting the body's needs for protein synthesis over the 6-8 hours of rest. When you are asleep you are not ingesting food or protein. By supplementing with casein before bed, you will have protein in your system throughout the night to increase protein synthesis and help increase muscle growth. This can be beneficial to anyone who is training regularly.

Casein protein ingestion before sleep has been proven to result in an increase in protein synthesis after a workout. Casein protein is also higher in calcium contents and can be a good source of fat loss. If you are an individual who engages in long, strenuous workouts then casein supplementation can be very beneficial for your caloric needs.

The slow absorption makes casein great for night time ingestion. A study done by Snijders et al. (2015) demonstrated that post-resistance training gains in muscle mass and strength are shown to be further increased after daily supplementation with 27.5 g of dietary casein protein consumed prior to sleep. Casein supplementation can further augment the skeletal muscle adaptive response to prolonged resistance training.

Outside of the protein, the remaining amount of each scoop is made up of the fillers which include the flavoring, thickeners and artificial sweeteners. Pretty standard stuff for any type of protein powder; whey, casein or a blend.

As for the macros, those may vary slightly depending on the flavor that you choose. Per scoop will yield you around 130 calories with one and a half grams of fat, three grams of carbs (zero sugar) and 25 grams of protein. The scoop size will also vary slightly based on the flavor but the protein content by weight is around 70-75% for this protein. Another large brand that makes a casein protein similar to this also has a protein content of around 70-75% per scoop. In the end, you are getting your serving of casein protein along with the ingredients to make it taste good. Most people do not want a plain unflavored protein powder, so Dymatize must add those extras for the consumers to enjoy the product with hopes they keep coming back for more.

Taste >> This product is available in four flavors: cinnamon bun, cookies and cream, rich chocolate and smooth vanilla. I was sent the cinnamon bun flavor and loved it! Personally, I love cinnamon and go through quite a lot of it each week. The taste of this protein nailed the cinnamon aspect with the added sweetness you would expect from the rest of the cinnamon roll and icing. No complaints here and I would probably not even bother with the other flavors currently available because this one is so good.

Mixability >> For anyone new to taking a casein protein, don't expect the mixability to be the same as whey. Casein mixes much thicker and often requires more water and arm work to achieve the desired consistency. While most whey proteins can be mixed in a blender bottle without the blender ball, I would recommend using the blender ball when making a casein shake for the best results. Yes, you can get everything mixed decently well without the blender ball if you use a good amount of water but for the smoothest shake without the risk of little clumps; use the blender ball. I did for every shake that I made and each one came out perfect, no surprises. Please note that my shakes were always made with water and using milk or a milk-alternative may produce different results.

Dosing >> Per the label, mix one scoop with 10-12 ounces of your favorite beverage. For optimum results, drink in the evening before bed, in place of small meals, or any other time when steady amino release is desired.

As with any protein product, the effectiveness is going to depend on the individual, how they used the supplement and what their goals are. Personally, this product excelled in the two ways that I used it. The first was when I knew there was going to be a big gap between meals and I needed long lasting energy. Depending on my schedule, I would mix one to two scoops of this protein and drink before my plans. This would keep me full and provided energy without any additional food intake for up to eight hours without any stomach pain or other problems. I did not need to focus on or think about food during this time and my full attention would be with the task at hand.

The second way I used this protein was as it is normally suggested, before bed. If I had some extra protein macros at the end of the night, this was a perfect before bed snack to tide me over. No problems with digestion during the night and I would not wake up the next morning with hunger pains or the feeling that I needed to eat right away. With the sweet taste, this product was also effective at knocking out any sweet tooth craving that I would have after dinner. Instead of reaching for candy, ice cream or a baked cinnamon roll; a scoop or two of this worked out perfectly.

In terms of building muscle or losing fat while using this product; those aspects are determined by many other factors in a person's life and no protein supplement should make or break one's progress. Did this product help me build muscle? Possibly, or at least it helped me maintain my current muscle mass because it helped make sure my protein intake was met each day. Did this product help me lose fat? Again, possibly or at the very least it helped me maintain my current status. I could also make a case that it was effective at keeping me from gaining weight because it replaced unhealthier sweet snacks at night that are just full of sugar, fat and carbs with little to no protein.

This product comes in multiple flavors and two tub sizes. The smallest size is a two-pound tub that can be found online for around $27 at the current time (AllStarHealth.com). This size tub gets you about 26 servings. As with most proteins, the flavor can sometimes change the price and/or be on a special discount. The other size available is a four-pound tub, which the same website currently has listed for $45. This size tub gets you about 51 servings. If you want a specific flavor, you may have to pay a little bit more at a specific retailer if the lowest cost one is out of stock or does not carry the flavor you want.

**Please also note that Dymatize recently went through a re-branding of their products and some products with the older labeling and possibly different formulas/ingredients are still on the market. The older packaging used black containers while the newest products are white and blue. As retailers work to clear out the inventory of the older label products, you may be able to find an excellent clearance deal on those. Just pay attention to the listed best by dates for the previous versions.

Side Effects

None experienced. While casein does not digest as quickly as whey, I did not experience any stomach issues while taking it. There are very few carbs and no sugar listed for each scoop, so I can only assume the lactose content is low or non-existent.

Conclusion

In the end, Dymatize's Elite Casein turned out to be everything I would hope and look for with this type of protein. The flavor was great and something I could drink on a continual basis. I do hope they come out with some more exotic flavors in the future to compete with the other big brands in this category. Only four flavors does not leave much room for change. The effectiveness in the two ways that I used this product was as expected and helped me achieve the desired outcome I was looking for. The price is in-line with the current market for casein protein from the big, reputable brands. With no negative side effects experienced; overall, we have winner with this product if you are looking into supplementing with casein protein. Once again thank you to Dymatize for sending a tub out to me for this review.

Thank you for reading my review and let me know if you have any questions.
  • Cinnamon Bun: 10/10

Other Prices:
Best Price Nutrition   $27.99
Ill Pump You Up   $33.95
Fitness First USA   $49.95

6.8
  June 14, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Filling
  • Great Mixability

Casein protein can be pretty nasty with lots of clumping and grittiness. Dymatize delivered here with a casein option that mixes up easily and satisfies for a long time.

I'd like to thank Dymatize Nutrition for making this review possible. I had my doubts they'd come through... the order had auto-cancelled and it was a big let down, but the same day it cancelled I came home to a neat little package on my doorstep. Lo and behold-- my casein had arrived!

Most often I hear people discussing their use of casein as a bedtime thing. While I do follow that practice sometimes, I've recently started adding a scoop of casein to my morning shake instead along with regular whey, right after I lift. I'm not sure there's one practice that's better than the other.

While using Elite Casein, I was also running a laxogenin product. One of the things about laxogenin is it is supposed to greatly increase your protein synthesis, so it was great to have these things in tandem. I was using Elite Casein twice daily at morning and at night to try to mazimize the benefits of the laxogenin. While the results I saw over the past month would really have to be attributed to the laxogenin mostly, Dymatize's casein made it much easier, as I'll explain...

Elite Casein has a large, 36g scoop which yields 130 k/cal, including 20 from fat.

Each scoop gives you 25g of protein, 2g of unsaturated fat, and 2g of carbs. With 7g remaining I assume that is filler for taste and consistency.

Dymatize used sucralose as a sweetener.

Taste: I received Rich Chocolate flavor and found it to be really tasty. There was a bit of grittiness when consumed on its own, but I've yet to meet a casein that isn't gritty to some degree. This was definitely one of the less gritty ones I've ever tried.

Mixability: Surprisingly, I had the easiest time when just mixing this in a shaker. It blended easily in both milk and water without any clumping. I ran into minor issues when using a blender. When using a blender I usually add liquid last so that the ice, powder, and fruit are towards the blades. If I add liquid first my blender isn't powerful enough to reliably pull everything down. Adding the liquid last did cause it to stick to the sides somewhat, but it wasn't a major problem. I'd just scrape it off and blend it the rest of the way.

Dosing: As mentioned in the intro, most days I was using this twice per day. Once after my lift along with a scoop of whey, a banana, some PB, and skim milk; and once before bed on its own.

I judge proteins mainly by flavor, digestibility (which I'm basically a giant wuss about), and satiety (which is a little subjective, I know).

Dymatize's Elite Casein did well in every category. I found the flavor to be nice and creamy, like milk chocolate... which may have been compounded by the fact that I usually mixed this with, well, milk. I was able to combine it with other flavors like vanilla protein, maple protein (on the fence about that flavor), peanut butter, and banana, and it never overwhelmed anything but instead always seemed to complement it nicely. There was a bit of grittiness and it required about 25-50% more liquid to reach my desired viscosity, but altogether I really enjoyed it and looked forward to it.

Digestibility was great too. I never got stomach cramps or anything which I'm very prone to. I never experienced any gassiness or bloating either. Really happy here for a guy that has been the only one on this site with protein digestion issues more than once.

Satiety I want to say was also good, but the test booster and laxogenin supplement I was taking alongside this made me ferociously hungry. I usually have my morning shake at 7:30 and this would help me feel satisfied until 10 or 10:30. At night I never woke up hungry, but I did wake up starving. I honestly think if I wasn't taking the test boosters I would feel full much longer though.

Final notes are that I have leaned out a lot over the last month, which might have a lot to do with the fact that this was so tasty and satisfying. It's always nice to crave something like this instead of greasy foods or sweets. I'm sure it is no easy feat to make a protein taste good enough to replace ice cream or something.

The cheapest I found this was at BestPriceNutrition.com for $25.19 using a 10% off coupon from price plow. That works out to just over $1/serving. (25 servings) I think that's a very competitive price for any casein.

Side Effects

None at all.

Conclusion

Overall I'm very impressed. This is likely something I'll keep an eye on and purchase when it's around the price its listed for in the values section. I don't think it will necessarily replace the brand I normally use, but that's only because I use multiple servings daily and need to be frugal in my purchasing decisions. If you are looking for a quality casein and this is in your budget, I think it's worthwhile to spring for this one.

Thanks again to Dymatize!
    • Rich Chocolate: 7/10

Other Prices:
    Best Price Nutrition   $27.99
    Ill Pump You Up   $33.95
    Fitness First USA   $49.95

May 31, 2018

• Not The Greatest Taste

Dymatize is proving to me that they have really developed a consistent and reliable company. All aspects of this product are quite good: effectiveness, price, taste, formula... anything really. After taking multiple different casein products, this has to be one of my favorites.

Dymatize's Casein uses micellar casein (25 grams per serving), which of course, is used as a slow digesting protein. Its formula is generally stellar, but there is one red flag. It contains 250 mg of salt, which is quite high and may throw it out of the argument for being the best casein product out there. But to be fair, many other very reputable and highly rated casein products also have extreme amounts of sodium in it. I've seen it range anywhere from 20 mg to over 300 mg, so I'll definitely pay attention to that before I buy another casein product. Obviously, the high level of salt is intended for it to make it taste better, but this can still be considered a weak point in the product.
    Along with it, it includes 5.4 grams of BCAAs and 2.3 grams of leucine, which is definitely a sufficient amount. As leucine is the most important of the BCAAs, 2.3 grams is more than most other casein products will provide.

In general, I am not a fan of the taste of casein product, but I can say that this one tasted decently compared to the other brands I've used. The rich chocolate flavor tasted just as I expected. It tasted like any other chocolate protein powder but had a sturdier and more difficult to swallow texture (as all casein products do). I did find that I was easily sick of the taste, but overall, there are no problems in terms of taste. Everything also mixed fine; I shook it as I normally would and it turned out smoothly.
    In terms of dosing, I typically used one scoop with milk before bed, and that's all you really need. I have used one scoop during the day a few times if I felt that I would not be able to eat for a while, but other than that, one scoop before bed was sufficient.

This is definitely an effective product. On the days that I only got a few hours of sleep, I didn't even worry about taking a shake of this casein. However, if I got a longer sleep, I took a serving and definitely feel more filled up upon doing so. I have extremely fast metabolism, so taking this product prevented me from starving my muscles throughout the night, and psychologically stopped me from feeling like I had just lost all my gains after waking up. I did notice that taking the shake before bed prevented me from dropping weight and having fluctuations between starved and fueled muscles throughout the day.

The cheapest as of now is 4 lb (51 servings) for $48.76 on Bodybuilding.com. Casein in general is a bit pricey, so this cost is quite reasonable and can often be found on deals on GNC or BB. I did note that this product is actually cheaper than most other casein products, and considering that its quality is also high quality, it's certainly good for the price.

Side Effects

Conclusion

There is no doubt that this is a very solid casein product. It's decent tasting, includes a sufficient amount of protein, added BCAAs, mixes well, and is priced reasonably. I may consider experimenting with other brands just out of interest and in hopes to find one whose taste I really like, but I would not be surprised if there aren't many better than this. I definitely recommend this product.
    • Rich Chocolate: 7/10

8.9
      April 10, 2018

• Filling

I will be reviewing Elite Casein, 1 scoop (1 serving size) will set you back 130 calories. Its macros are 2g of Fat, 2g of Carbs and 25g of Protein.

Even if I am not being strict with my diet I still make a conscious effort to make sure most meals actually consist of a decent lean protein and a healthy carb. As I have mentioned in recent reviews my Fat@$$ has fallen of the wagon pretty hard. I was not tracking I was not being consistent on anything except eating everything in sight, not 100% true but it seemed like it. I always told myself subconsciously at the end the day end on a good note don't eat those cookies Scar left, make some rich pudding. Scar is my daughter by the way.

Elite has a clean and simple macro profile, I have mentioned these above in my summary. It consists of Micellar Casein, as most of us know this is a slower digesting protein that is taken from the curds of the milk. Casein's absorption rate is a lot slower than whey protein, it can actually take about 7 hours to fully digest. It also has BCAA added to keep muscles feed while one is asleep or without food and aminos for a long periods of time.

Taste/Mixability

I requested and received Rich Chocolate. I have to say, it did not let me down in the rich chocolate category. I would often make protein pudding and add some rice cakes for some texture and or mixed berries. Mixability was not a huge issue in a shaker, it slightly clumped at the top of my shaker cup a few times when I didn't have the mixing ball in the shaker. When making my pudding I would use a bowl and a spoon and didn't have any issues with mixing.

Dosing & Effectiveness

For the most part I would take Elite in the evenings, on a few occasions I would take this on my way to work when I knew I wouldn't get any food until lunch time. This casein didn't cause me to have that uncomfortable full stomach feeling, it was more of a satiated feeling. I really noticed it in the morning I was able to make it from 7:30am - 1:30pm without feeling hungry. At night it was a similar effect, but it mostly help cut the cravings for those sweet non nutritional items. I would say Elite Casein was effective as it helped me try and meet protein goals as well as keep me and my muscles satisfied and fed.

AllStar Health has a 2lb tub of Elite Casein for $27 dollars or a 4lb tub for $45 dollars. This is not a bad deal, for a product that will help you meet your protein goals and keep you feeling satiated.

Side Effects

No notable side effects in my Elite Casein experience.

Conclusion

This was a nice treat, even when being bad with my diet. I always enjoyed making myself some pudding or protein sludge as my wife called it. Elite Casein works is affordable and tasty. I wanted to Thank Dymatize Nutrition for being patient and for supporting the Troopers.
      • Rich Chocolate: 9/10

January 1, 2018

• Good BCAA Mixture

Thank you Dymatize for a wonderful casein protein. I have tried their products before and have never been disappointed. This is the first time I have tried their casein and was as satisfied as I had been in the past.

This is a protein powder with 100% micellar casein. This is a gluten-free product and it contains 5.4g of BCAA and 2.3g of Leucine.

Total Fat 1.5g
        Cholesterol 20mg
        Carbs 3g
        Sugar 0g
        Protein 25g

This is a pretty straightforward casein protein. Of course, every company makes their products a little different but for me, this was a good casein powder mix with good nutrients.

Dymatize has several options available for flavoring which include chocolate, vanilla, cookies/cream, and cinnamon roll. I was able to get the cinnamon roll and I wouldn't say it tasted like a cinnamon roll, but a good flavor. More like cinnamon flavoring than a cinnamon roll. The mixability was similar to any other casein that I have tried. Ingredients say to mix one scoop with 10-12 oz. of beverage, which I usually ended up with 12-14 oz. because I don't like a really thick shake. Casein is so thick like ice cream custard shake than your normal protein shake so always make sure to have plenty of liquid in it. I had no problem with the mixability just got to shake it really well. The dosing is one scoop which is 25g of protein. The dosing was no issues.

Like with any other protein shake, I cannot say that I was putting on a ton of muscle or having any weight loss. It definitely did what it claims to do which is easy to recover and feel full after taking the casein. I was taking Dymatize at night right before bed and it kept me from wanting to go back to the kitchen for snacks. The only downfall I had was going to the bathroom at night but not because of medical problems. Since you have to add a lot of beverage to it, it made me have to go pee. This was an easy thing to correct because I would take it about 1-2 hours before I would go to sleep and I would go pee right before I went to sleep. If I forgot to take it early, I would have to go in the middle of the night but this was my problem, not a Dymatize problem. So, effectiveness wise with the ingredients, I would say effective protein.

I was able to find Dymatize Elite Casein for $35-$50 for a 2 lb tub with 26 servings. At $35 for 26 servings, $1.35 per serving which is higher than my whey protein that is around $1 per serving. Casein protein is a high-priced protein because it takes more to make than whey protein, so at $1.35 per serving that is a good price. I have not found a good casein out there that is under $1.25 (I have found $1 serving casein, but they were not good) per serving so at $1.35, a great value. Since this is a great product at a good cost, I give it a high value.

Side Effects

No side effects

Conclusion

I have always heard good things about Dymatize nutrition and they always deliver the good product. I would say a great casein protein shake and would highly recommend it to anybody. Always hard to measure effectiveness so you have to go off ingredients and this one was dead on. The taste, mixability, and dosing are pretty similar to other good caseins out there. If casein protein is a part of your diet, this was definitely one to try. Dymatize nutrition makes a good product so you usually get a good product.
        • Cinnamon Bun: 9/10

December 27, 2017

• High Sodium

First and foremost I would like to thank Dymatize Nutrition for sending me out their product so I could try it and review it for you guys. I would also like to thank SR for providing me the opportunity and the tools so that I can share with you guys my experience.

I'm a big fellow so I have to supplement protein because there is no way I'm going to keep eating meat until I reach 230 grams. I do what most of us do ... supplement protein. I like to have a variety in my arsenal since I love to work out and want to make sure that my muscles are always fed. I tried casein before but it was long time ago ... so when I noticed this offering I quickly grabbed it.

Dymatize Nutrition is a well established company in the protein world although I'm not sure why they would a sunflower creamer for their product. Also, I'm a little perplexed why so much sodium is being used with this product. Also there isn't just one but two sweeteners that are being used.

130 Calories
        20mg of Cholesterol
        250 mg of Sodium
        2 grams of Carbs
        Protein 25g

Ok So I tried this with almond milk and it was ok. So I tried this with water and it was actually better. Usually I prefer protein with milk because it gives it that creaminess but not with the casein protein where it's already thick so with water the taste stood out more. I also tried this with my favorite Pea protein and it was so thick I was actually eating it like pudding with a spoon from my shaker cup.

I claimed this protein because I wanted to make sure my body is fed during the night while I'm recuperating from a hard day. I didn't think this would help me like a fat burner would, by keeping me full. I woke up in the morning and didn't feel that empty stomach I usually did. With the combination of taking my fat burner in the morning I could stay full till afternoon. I was really pleasantly surprised by how effective it was for me. I'm actually going to make sure that I have a steady supply of casein protein for my nightly indulging. Evenings are the hardest for me as far as eating junk food is concerned and having a serving of casein helped me in fighting that late night urge to eat. The BCAA's almost match that of standard whey so there is additional nutrients to help you with recovery.

You have a choice of a 2lb and 4lb tube. The 2lb cost roughly 30$ per 25 servings which comes down to 1.20$ per serving. The 4lb has 50 servings and it costs roughly 45$ which comes down to .90 cents per serving. Doing my calculations as how much a protein cost it's .048 if you buy the small tub and .036 if you buy the large tub. Compering it with other casein proteins this is a really good deal ... especially if you buy the big tub.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Very happy with the results of this product. I like the price compared to its competitors. I like the flavor that I received and would recommend it to others. The fact that Dymatize Nutrition is a well known company and widely available, is a thumbs up from me.
        • Rich Chocolate: 8/10

December 19, 2017

• High Sodium

I'm a powerlifter, and I try to get 4-5 protein rich meals in a day. Most of it, I get through food, but I find it helpful to have protein powder on hand. I usually make shakes, but sometimes I make proats, protein yogurt, or protein mug cake. I find that casein takes heat better than whey does, so I like to use blends for baking, making sauces, etc.

This was the first flavored casein product that I've ever used. I usually get unflavored, so I can use it with either sweet or savory foods, but Dymatize is a solid brand, so I thought I'd give this a shot.

We have here a micellar casein product. Casein (like whey) is found in milk. It is slower to digest and is often used before bed.

One scoop (35g) gives us:

125mg potassium
        600mg calcium

We also have:
        5.4g BCAAs(2.3g leucine)
        5.9g other EAAs (11.3g total EAAs)

The profile is pretty solid. 25g of protein is a good amount per serving. Casein tends to have a bit less leucine than whey does, so I'm happy with 2.3g (some studies suggest 2.5-3g leucine may be a touch better). Also, studies have shown that 10g EAAs is effective for stimulate MPS, and we have over 11g here.

I got the cinnamon bun flavor and the taste was very good 9/10. When I opened the tub, I took a whiff and it smelled like Christmas morning. The cinnamon flavor is present without being overwhelming and it's sweet without being too sweet. It's a nice flavor and pairs well with a lot of other flavors: apple, mango, blueberry, which made it very versatile.

My favorite use of it was as a mug cake. I would use:
        100g Milk
        1 Scoop Elite Casein
        14g Cake Flour
        1g baking powder
        optional, 5g vegetable oil

Stir it up, microwave it for 1 minute (70% strength if you have a high powered microwave) and then 15 seconds on full power. If you're feeling decadent, add a scoop of ice cream on top.

Mixability

The mixability was good. I had no clumps when I used a shaker, and it mixes well with a spoon, which is important for baking, else you get a clumpy dessert.

Dose

1 scoop was just right for me. I usually mixed in the casein with other foods, so my meal would be 30-40g protein in the end.

I found this product to be quite effective.

1. Dymatize meets its label claims. This is the most important factor when it comes to effectiveness.

2. It's delicious which makes it easy to consume.

3. It mixes well, which is important if you want to cook or bake with it. It's somewhat important for drinking as well, but I'd rather have a lumpy protein shake than a lumpy cake.

I think the value here is pretty good, 8/10. A 2lb tub of Elite Casein can cost $26-$28 depending on where you get it (and sometimes depending on which flavor). I've seen casein powders from other brands cost $33-$34 for a 2lb tub, and I've seen plenty of blended proteins that cost more than Elite Casein as well.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I'm a happy camper. This was a delicious tub; it made for lots of good desserts, and I'd easily recommend it to anyone looking for a casein powder. Good job Dymatize!
        • Cinnamon Bun: 9/10

November 10, 2017

• Good BCAA Mixture

What's up guys! To reintroduce myself, I am a physiology student at the University of Arizona. I just finished an extended cut, and the three supplements I used were GAT Nitraflex, L-carnitine 3000mg, and then casein. Overall, I saw great results and these supplements were not the reason for the success, they simply just aided the process.

Calories --> 130
          Sodium --> 180mg
          Potassium --> 290mg
          5.4g BCAAs
          2.3g Leucine

The main ingredients we actually care about in this protein are the casein itself, obviously, the BCAAs, and leucine. Everything else is stuff you will find in everyday food and does not play a differentiating role in this supplement. Casein is the main protein that is found in milk. It is different than whey or any other animal protein because it is a slow-digested protein so amino acids will be released into the bloodstream throughout a much longer duration. There is speculation that casein increases protein synthesis, however, in a study between casein and whey, protein synthesis was similar. With that being said, casein is good to take if you are unable to eat for an extended period of time to ensure you are getting constant protein and energy. Casein is also very beneficial for weight loss because it will make you feel satisfied and less hungry due to its slow releasing characteristic.
          I also really like that it has 2.4g of leucine, which is known as the main BCAA. Leucine is the best at doing its job which is to activate the protein known as mTOR, which then induces muscle protein synthesis via S6K (this is what we want!!!). Leucine is also one of the more studied amino acids so to is good to see it play a role in this casein supplement. Other BCAAs do the same thing that leucine does, but are just not as strong.

I was taking the chocolate-flavored casein, and actually thought it tasted better than normal whey. It is a bit thicker when added to a liquid than whey, but is also more sweeter. I found that it mixes very well when I added it with water as long as there is enough water since it is thicker, but I noticed no clumps. I took this before bed with the idea to maintain muscle mass since I was not eating anything else 3 hours prior to sleep. I would also occasionally take it after my workout along with whey in order to suppress my hunger throughout the rest of the day. I only took one scoop at a time because 25g of protein was enough for what I was trying to do.

I felt like this casein was very productive. I found myself not always being in the pantry or fridge, and I felt less hungry throughout the day. Also, since I took it before bed, I wouldn't wake up as hungry so it was easier to eat a smaller breakfast. Plus, I am a huge late night snacker, so taking this casein really helped me subdue my cravings for other munchies. Lastly, I lost very little strength during my cut and I feel like taking casein after my workout and before bed was a huge factor in that because it provided my body with continuous amino acids.

Protein is always going to be expensive, but you also get a lot of servings. I bought mine from a vitamin shop nearby and it came out to be about $0.80/serving which is pretty similar to whey protein. You absolutely get your money back in this product because it does provide a lot of benefits.

Side Effects

None!

Conclusion

By no means should casein take the place of whey or just healthy eating in general, but whether you are trying to add muscle or lose weight casein is a great supplement to be taking! If your eating is already very good then this supplement is not essential in reaching your goals, but if you find that you are always hungry while cutting or that you go long periods without eating when bulking, then casein is probably for you.

October 30, 2017

• Not Much Of A Variety Of Flavors

Hey SR, back at it again for a review of Dymatize's Elite Casein product. Protein is a staple for most of us, myself included, but for those who are not familiar there quite a few different types. There are protein types that are very quick in absorption such as hydrolysate and isolate, fast to medium with concentrate, and slow with casein. These types of proteins all come from milk usually. There's also other types of protein such as egg, rice, pea, soy etc. but this review will deal with casein, on of the slowest release proteins out there. Personally, I love casein protein as it has an extended release time of 4-6 hours. Being on a cut a slow release protein such as this keeps me out of a catabolic state much longer and helps me preserve muscle tissue. Let's break this product down and see if it can help you.

The macros for this protein are: 130 cals, 1.5 g fat, 3 carbs (no sugar), 25 grams of protein. As you can see, this has a very nice macro profile and it should be easy to fit into any diet/meal plan to get extra protein in your diet. I do like the no sugar as I try to stay in ketosis as much as possible. The scoop size is 35 grams and provides 25 grams of protein, so there is quite a bit of extras such as creamers, sweeteners, etc. Not the cleanest profile by any means, but these extras did have some obvious benefits in taste. As far as other 100% casein products, this definitely has an above average macro profile in comparison. Besides the additives and sweeteners, not too much to complain about. Thumbs up here.

Dosing is whenever you need protein. The most common time to use a casein protein is before bed to deliver a stream of protein and aminos while your fasting. I did this, but also used to make protein blends throughout the day and after a workout with a concentrate (Naked Whey) I had to get some fast and slow uptake. This was a lifesaver as this tastes absolutely delicious and the whey product I had no flavor so it helped my blends. I had the Cinnamon Bun flavor and it was not too sweet, just right. This was also a more unique flavor than say chocolate so it hit the spot. I can also comment on the mixability being very good. A lot of caseins, Optimum stands out to me, can be pretty gritty and hard to mix. This has a great texture and mixed very easily for a casein protein. Takes some more shaking than an isolate for sure, but overall it was great.

For effectiveness in a protein, if it has a solid profile, it's easy to incorporate into your diet, and doesn't have any digestion issues it's usually a winner. This is definitely the case for this protein. I can add to this however in saying that it helped me a lot in appetite suppression and cravings. When you're cutting and going low carb, sometimes you get extremely hungry. Add to this I naturally have a sweet tooth and that's the first thing that'll get out out of ketosis. This being a unique sweet flavored protein hit the spot when the cravings were really bad. This is being casein and thicker than your normal shake really helped fill me up and tide me over until my next meal. This was guilt free as with this profile, it didn't ruin my macros at all and is much better than a normal snack or meal for my diet. As far as muscle mass and strength I did not see any increases, but my training and diet aren't set up for that. I have continued to lean out without losing a lot of strength and muscle so this protein helped me accomplish my goals.

The best deal I could find on this at the moment is around $29 on bodybuilding.com for 26 servings. Casein is always a little more expensive than whey but this is very fairly priced and with all the pros I have mentioned is definitely worth it in terms of value. I would buy this again no problem.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you're looking for a 100% casein product, this is top notch. Not the cleanest profile, but the flavor, versatility, and quality all make it worth it.

October 9, 2017

• Helps Recovery Over Night

A huge shoutout to Dymatize for sending me out their casein powder! I am a 26 year old firefighter from Ohio. My main fitness goals are to maintain a solid shape for my job and to build muscle mass / strength.

The label is completely transparent which is always the best. The protein ingredient in this supplement is micellar casein. Casein is a slow digesting protein and it breaks down over a longer period of time. It's basically the opposite of whey which is a relatively fast digesting protein. It contains 25 grams of protein per scoop. It's 130 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, and 3 grams of carbs as well. The other ingredients include things such as sunflower creamer, spy lecithin and others that are for the taste aspect.

The flavor I received was cinnamon bun. Overall the flavor was pretty spot on to an actual cinnamon bun only without icing. The cinnamon flavor was decently strong but not overwhelming. The consistency was pretty thick and chalky. Although I have similar consistencies with other casein proteins I've tried. I don't think any casein will be as smooth as a whey protein. I always drank this with milk and I just added 4-6 more ounces than they recommend and it became much smoother. 1 scoop is 35 grams and seems spot on for it's serving size.

I found this supplement to be quite effective. I always drank this at night right before going to bed. I did this so throughout the night I would maintain a slow release of protein. I always woke up feeling full in comparison to waking up feeling pretty damn hungry after a night of no protein. I noticed quite a bit of muscle gains upon first waking up when usually I would look normal or even a bit flat after no protein all night. I felt it helped muscle recovery pretty well.

The best and cheapest value I found this for was on bodybuilding.com for 29 bucks. There are 26 total servings per 2 pound tub and that breaks down to about $1.11 per serving. I personally think that's a pretty good deal. Most casein supplements are pretty expensive.

Side Effects

I know a lot of people having stomach issue or gas issues when taking casein but I experienced no negative side effects during my usage of this product.

Conclusion

Overall I highly recommend this product. If you are in the market for an overnight or slower digesting protein definitely give this a look. I got great results from it and it tasted good enough to be a treat each night. The value I found for it was good and won't break your bank compared to similar supplements. Once again I just want to say thank you very much Dymatize!
            • Cinnamon Bun: 7/10