TROOP CP

Muscle Milk Reviews

By: Cytosport

Overall Score:   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #55 of 55 (better than 0%) in
Protein > Blended Protein

Muscle Milk is a Blended Protein Powder manufactured by Cytosport. It contains a blend of different types of protein and will promote lean muscle mass and fat loss.
INGREDIENTS (12)
THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)

Slow digesting protein derived from the casein found in milk that consists of 92% protein and is often added to protein powders to lend a thick texture and slow release of amino acids.

THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)

Contains a minimum of 90% protein composed of casein and whey proteins typically used in protein powders and bars.

COMPARE SIMILAR

E-2016
  October 6, 2016

----Introduction----
What's up SR, I'm back with another review. From the time I started taking supplements I have found it difficult to find a protein with a good taste, I have tried many different types and flavors that seemed to go from bad to worse. For me I was never able to stand the taste and it took a while to get used to. This protein specifically the Chocolate Peanut butter flavor was by far my favorite. When I first tried this I was impressed because I felt I could finally drink a protein shake with out it making me gag or having to add other ingredients to deaden or dominate the taste (banana).

----Ingredient Profile----
Again another non specific ingredient profile, my pet peeve; there is a laundry list of vitamins and minerals in a percent format, there all common and not to add to the problem but I will save you all the details since were here for the specifics. This protein also contains a non specific amount of what they call a protein blend (Whey Protein Hydrolysate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Isolate, and Calcium Sodium Caseinate) it also contains L-Glutamine, Taurine and L-Carnatine. The label goes on to describe with picture a typical amino profile containing two sections listing essential and non essential amino acids, I don't see the point in this if it doesn't actually contain it; I feel like this is put there to grab the eye hoping you won't read the fine print. It sure got me the first time, I'm thinking wow this is a lot of amino acids for a protein mix. It also claims to have a rich supply of amino acids when I only see L-Glutamine and L-Carnatine, that's not rich.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
The though behind this review for me was for the taste it is by far one of the best I have had although I think this might be the only selling point. I take 2 scoops in 32oz of water I look forward to drinking it.

It mixes easy and stays mixed in water with no clumps or residue left behind. I even add some ice and peanut butter if I know I might not get the chance to eat for a prolonged period.

1 scoop has 16g of protein and 2 scoops have 32g as listed on the label. I take 2 scoops in 32oz of water 2 times a day.

----Effectiveness----
This is my first protein review so I am not sure how to gauge effectiveness. I can tell you that I eat very clean, this in turn almost always leaves me feeling hungry. After drinking this I feel full every single time, so as a meal replacement it is effective. The label on the other hand states "Promotes Muscle Grown and Repair". I have taken this for a while now with other supplements and alone so I can confidently say that the "Repair" ingredients are low I have felt sore days after workouts and this did nothing for that. I have also not seen a change in muscle growth that I would attribute to this.

----Value----
The price isn't terrible the store I get it at has it for under $25 and that's where I have seen it other places listed for give or take a couple bucks I think the average is about $27. I think it's a little pricey for what it is or should be considered. As a meal replacement I would want to pay a little less.

----Side Effects----

----Conclusion----
This has been one of my shorter reviews but not for lack of trying. Plain and simple if you like the Chocolate Peanut Butter taste and could use a meal replacement then I recommend this. I would not recommend this as a go to protein for either gaining weight or building muscle.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Great
  • Good Beginner Protein.
  • Variety Of Flavors
  • Not Enough Protein
  • A Bit Pricy
  • Chocolate Peanut Butter: 8/10
stregs
  February 26, 2016

----Introduction----
(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)
I found out about SR from an online search a while ago when I was trying to find an unbiased, reliable website with reviews on different supplements so I could pick the right supplement for me. I am writing this review because I am a frequent lurker on this website, yet have never contributed, and would like to share my knowledge and experiences with others on here and help the SR community grow! My current fitness goals are to put on lean muscle mass and get stronger. Not really focusing on a bulk, but would like to see the scale go up some as my lifts go up. I plan on reviewing other protein powders, preworkouts, a creatine supp I'm currently taking, protein bars, and a multivitamin.

----Ingredient Profile----
Serving size: 1 scoop (35g)
Calories: 150
Total Fat: 6g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Total carbs: 9g
Sugars: 2g
Protein: 16g

The protein blend they use is listed under the ingredients as : Protein Blend (Calcium Sodium Caseinate, Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Lactoferrin, L-Glutamine, Taurine).

For what you're paying for, I think this is a solid blend. 16g of protein and 15g of carbs+fat. It's a protein blend, and I would say that they cover that with what they have listed and the macro distribution.

----Taste----
I had the chocolate flavor of Muscle Milk. I really liked this flavor. It absolutely tastes like chocolate, and when added to milk, I think I'm drinking chocolate milk! It's still great with water as well. No complaints with this category.

----Mixability----
The mixability of the Muscle Milk is questionable. If you add it to water or milk in a cup and try using a spoon to mix it, you're gonna have big clumps and it won't completely mix. HOWEVER, because I really loved the chocolate taste, I didn't mind the clumping that much because it still tasted great! If you use a blender or shaker bottle, it mixes totally fine and there isn't clumping. So it just matters on how you prefer to mix it.

----Dosing----
I used Muscle Milk at different times of days in different amounts depending on several things. I largely used it not only as a post workout protein shake, but also as an additive to my milk or water at meals to help boost my calorie count. So sometimes I would go with 2 scoops post workout, or just 1 scoop to my morning cup of milk in the morning to give me an extra 150 calories. One thing I would caution is that it can be a bit heavy, especially when added to milk. I usually have a tendency to drink it really fast because I love the taste, but if I do that with 2 scoops I feel a little bloated. Better to just not chug it all at once in my opinion.

----Effectiveness----
I thought the Muscle Milk was pretty effective. I think this category is a bit hard to rate since it's hard to tell how much the protein helped in your recovery and muscle building, but I used this as post workout shake and as a supplement for extra calories at meals and put on 70lbs of weight total to my big three (bench, squat, deadlift) so I think it was pretty effective. Again, not sure if I think that's due to the supplement or just the type of program I was following in the gym. As a blend, it acts as it is advertised and seemed to fit my needs.

----Value----
Muscle Milk can be bought at a great value, more so when you buy larger tubs. A 5lb tub can be bought for around $39, which I think is a great value for a protein blend.

----Side Effects----
I had slight bloating when consuming 2 scoops very fast.

----Conclusion----
Overall, I think Muscle Milk is a good buy at a great value. It's a protein blend that is very versatile and can be used not only as a post workout shake but also as an added supplement at meals to help you get your macros or give you more calories. The chocolate flavor is extremely tasty and I would buy this product again.
    • Chocolate: 8/10
    texasmade89
      June 10, 2015

So they started selling more of the mainstream protein powders and supplements at H-E-B (primary grocery store in TX). I had just finished a tub and don’t like to go a day without using whey, ever I have some issues related to gastrointestinal absorption, so the addition of whey allows me to get the 200+ grams of protein I need per day. I had planned to go to the supplement store later in the day after my trip to H-E-B, but saw Muscle Milk Cookies and Cream and decided to give it a try. MM has 32 servings (32g per serving) if you used 2 scoops or 64 servings if you used one (16g). As far as I knew this is a reputable brand that had been around for a while, or at least I have seen their products everywhere (not necessarily an indication of quality).

Mixability-Not good.I tried some as soon as I got home with some vanilla rice milk; I shook it for the normal amount of time and it was still a little clumpy. Shook it some more, still clumpy. Threw it in the magic bullet, I finally thought that battle was over. When I finished drinking it, I noticed there were large clumps at the bottom that took a small amount of force to get out. This, in and of itself is not a deal breaker. Although, if the mixability’s not there; it’s not going to work for an on the go protein (for me). Sometimes when I have long workouts I don’t blend it before I go as I like it to be cold; especially in this case when I know it’s going to taste sub-par.

Taste-The taste in vanilla rice milk was alright, nothing special. The taste in purified water was not good; not terrible, but not enjoyable. The taste with ensure, which obviously has a ton of extra sugar in it was good. The way it tastes though is heavy. Compared to something like Protizyme or IsoPure, this stuff tastes heavy and is mildly difficult to get down (at times). It’s most likely due to all the extra fat and carbs, I suppose I was just not expecting that feeling from what I thought was a traditional protein powder.

Value(2.47lbs)-I bought this from HEB for $27.99; considering the quality the price could have been cheaper. Although HEB will charge about as much as GNC (a lot). Traditionally 2.47lbs for $27.99 would be a good deal, for commercial protein powder. This should have been a red flag; you get what you pay for doubly applies to supplements.
    There are additional carbohydrates and fats in the protein, making 2 scoops 310 calories. Making this fall into the category of a protein powder/weight gainer; I’m looking for one or the other in a single product. Years ago when supplements weren’t so mainstream this product was most likely the standard but as the industry changed better products came; this one stayed the same ( my hypothesis).

I was excited to try something new but ended up disappointed on multiple levels. I would only take this again if I got it as part of a promotion.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Good For Bulking Or For Meal Replacements
    • Not The Best Value
    Sycoholic
    Rep: -9
      June 6, 2013

So I've tried so many brands of protein powder I figured what's one more. I went to GNC expecting to get a tub of Syntha6 orange smoothie. Instead I bought the Muscle Milk. I like orange smoothie so much I figured I'd see if Muscle Milk has a superior taste, that and I'm a little tired of the 200 calories a scoop of the Syntha6. I supplement a lot with whey protein so the calories rack up fast.

So onto the review. It smells phenomenal. I was eagerly anticipating the taste that was associated with this aroma. Now, understand I mix all my whey with ice water. Having said that, I found the taste to be acceptable, but not a good powerful orange taste. Where the Syntha6 tastes just like an Orange Julius, the Muscle Milk seems weak and maybe like a melted orange ice cream flavor. The texture isn't great either. It's a bit chalky in consistency. This is most likely due to calcium caseinate and sodium caseinate being the top two protein ingredients. They tend to be chalky but I do think Cytosport did a great job of covering up for it. Next on the ingredient list is whey isolate. So right off the bat you see the majority of the protein content is good, high quality protein. I'm a little discouraged though at the lower than normal per scoop protein content. That the calories are 150 per scoop it's not terribly bad though.

The taste isn't horrible, the protein make-up is top notch, it's easily found even at WalMart, they have tons of flavors, the price is acceptable, and it mixes easily with a blender bottle. I haven't had one clump yet.

All in all it's a good solid protein product. I would buy it again but if taste is a huge issue I suggest you stick with or try Syntha6 by BSN.
    • Variety Of Flavors
    • Weak Taste
    • Chalky Texture
    Galloway
      April 30, 2013

Alright, just finished the tub not too long ago and figured I should share my experience with you.

First off, I did not pay for my tub of Monster Milk. Which is probably why I'm not all that upset right now. I was given a tub by a buddy who works at GNC and had bought it on closeout for like 12 bucks. I needed a protein to hold me over until payday. So it was 2 long weeks with nothing but "Muscle Milk" to keep me going.

Taste: 8

I'd say the only real upside to this product is the taste. It does kind of taste like a milkshake. Unfortunately, it will give you similar nutritional results as if you were drinking a milkshake as a post workout.

Effectiveness: 3

This bottle is out to trick you. On the front it says 32 grams per serving. However, if you turn the bottle around. You will soon discover that a full serving is 2 full rounded scoops of this crap. Which leaves you with about 2 weeks of this crap to go through. And when you DO use 2 full scoops, the consistency becomes extremely thick and chalky. Even if you use water. You get clumps constantly.

It's high calorie and high fat content should warn you away from this stuff. It is low in protein and high in false promises.

Results you ask?

I lost 2 lbs of what was clearly muscle during my 2 weeks of using this product. I had been using Pro Complex from ON.

If you are new in the gym, or on the field. This could be a good starter protein. But as we all know, as our training progresses. So should our nutrition. So if you're a veteran of the iron arts, steer clear from this tub of lies.

Seriously, don't buy this. If someone gives it to you as a gift. Smile, and then pass it on to someone you seriously don't like. Or a newbie who can't afford protein. I guess it's better than nothing. But only slightly.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Tastes Great
    • Good Beginner Protein.
    • Cheap
    • Not Enough Protein
    • High Calories
    • High Carbs/fat
    • Garbage.
    WetSprocket
      February 26, 2013

Now I am a fan of Muscle Milk products. I think by in large they can be a real effective measure in working out. For those who tend to not eat as often as they should while working out. I have used Muscle Milk just about in every facet; from keeping calorie count up while swimming, to recovery proteins after long hikes, to meal replacements when I was overseas, and more.

Currently, I am doing an ISO protein to get may weight off after a bulking cycle. It sucks though; I miss the extra calories from the shake. Don't let the fat content sway you from it either. These are good fats, and for many people they need to experience good fats and what they do for the body instead of all the bad fats that most people love to eat like overly processed cheeses, yogurts, some brands of milk, etc. Muscle Milk has good essential fats.

I will tell you a unique story fast, I was in a GNC one day and I went straight for the Muscle Milk and the (chunkier than need be) employee asks what I thought about it. I said I enjoy the calorie content and the taste is by far is the best. And she exclaimed back, yeah and 19 grams of fat. I just smirked and calmly explained she shouldn't give advice.
    _____________________________________________

Although I am a big fan of Muscle Milk, the portion of protein per 2 scoops is okay at 32g. Which is plenty, however the quantity of the 2 scoops means you need to mix it with a good amount of water (or milk if you prefer that). The carbohydrates are great, 12 g per 2 scoops. Don't sweat it when you look because you need stuff to burn. Unless you're on a full on no carb diet, limiting carbs doesn't mean you have to cut out Muscle Milk. It's great as a weight gainer or as a meal replacement. Honestly, it's a good versatile protein, and that is one of the main reasons why I enjoy the product.

The effectiveness can really range on how you utilize the protein. As a meal replacement it's great to have in place of a full lunch or with a light lunch. You will feel the need to eat less if you drink before eating. As a weight gainer it's great to. You can make some awesome bulking shakes with peanut butter, banana, maple and brown sugar oatmeal pack, and then chocolate flavored muscle milk; its lactose free which will help if you someone who is concerned with IBS or enjoy substitute milk products.

Value is always tough, because it always depends where you buy your product. I have seen it at ridiculous and I have seen it at about $30 which is a good fair price. Again just depends where you buy your products, I always recommend looking around. Hence one of the things you are doing on SR.
    _____________________________________________

Again, one of my personal favorite proteins; I will go back to it again. It is a truly beneficial protein; possibly may say it's for more of an athlete than a body builder. But if you are beginning it's a good protein to start with and find out what works for you in the guy. Also, if you are younger, roughly 25 and younger it's a good protein (if you're active). It is never advised to take any products and just sit around, you won't get any benefits there.
    sammyboss82
      December 17, 2012

Hey guys, I chose to try muscle milk a while back as a between meal snack, meal replacement sometimes when on the run.

Reason:
    It has 20 mineral and vitamins also lactose free which I dont rely on, but thought it would be light on my stomach. Some carbs/fibre to hold me full. In between meal/meal replacement when I was on run during busy stage of work.

Taste: 7/10
    A lot of people love the taste of MM but I have tried a lot of better proteins. Dont get me wrong it was ok, but maybe not my cup of tea.

Mixability: 8/10
    Mixed fine, no clumps etc but one thing I didn't like about it was the thickness. I have tried similar products for meal replacement/between meals etc Myofusion, Fusion7 and MM would be the thickest.

Pricing: 5/10
    In Australia MM is very expensive for what it is, blend protien.

In saying all this, I think the product is good for begginers, younger kids who dont eat much for parents to put in blender and make a smoothie for extra protein, vitamins and minerals, and also elderly who cant chew too much meat.

Would I Use again? No, in saying that at this stage of my training I am not using blend proteins, or need meal replacements. Maybe later on when I do need this style I might utilize MM.

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Good Beginner Protein.
    • Good For Bulking Or For Meal Replacements
    • Helps Promote Good Health
    • Awesome With Milk!
    • Not Enough Protein
    • High Calories
    rodge
      December 7, 2012

Muscle Milk is one of those products that some people either hate because of the fat content or love for taste and bulking. I feel muscle milk can be used for Bulking or cutting. Even though it has 12 grams of fat, 6 of those being saturated does not mean its a bad product or bad for your health. Most people need around 40-50 grams of fat and under 20 grams of saturated fat each and every day. I feel this product is great if you want a slow digesting protein. If your someone who can't avoid eating a lot of fatty foods then taking a supplement with added fat should not be advised. I personally eat a lot of lean chicken so getting enough fat adds in fatloss and is goal of mine. If your trying to bulk use this product with milk. If your trying to cut just keep take with water and keep track of your total fat for the day. The reason why i pick this product over just whey is that because its slow digesting protein with added fat lowers the insulin spike. This is great before bed so your body isnt burning muscle while cutting. The only time i like to spike blood sugar is post-workout which i just have a light meal of carbs and protein.
    I would recommend drinking one scoop in the morning or preworkout like an hour before. Than taking one scoop before bed.

Taste: 9/10
    A lot of people would agree the taste is good. I prefer Syntha- 6 for taste but overall good.

Mixability: 8/10
    Since this product contains a lot of Casein it mixes good. There is a little residue on my shaker cup. Not much clumping but when using it with milk i would say use a blender.

Value 8/10
    Cytosport could do a better job pricing this since its roughly 1.70 a serving. Since this product is lactose free with a lot of casein its a nice product. People complain it only has 32 grams of protein per serving but realistically most people do not need more than .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight and you shouldn't all rely on powders for all your protein for the day.

GodofSerbia1
      April 6, 2012

I felt compelled to write this review after seeing some 'experts' slam Muscle Milk. Muscle Milk has been a staple of my supplement routine for over 5 years. I will be reviewing MuscleMilk Chocolate today, the 4 lb tub, which I purchased 2 tubs for less than $30.

**Let me just throw out that while I am writing this review I am slamming down my 'Morning Starter' shake which is 1 1/2 scoops Muscle Milk Chocolate, 1 cup coffee, 1 cup milk, teaspoon of sugar**

The 4 lb tub stats:
    -Flavor: Chocolate
    -Serving size: 1 scoop
    -protein per serving: 16 g
    -types of protein: Casein and Whey for instant and time-released protein absorbing.
    -carbs per serving: 9 grams
    -huge amino acid profile

I took Muscle Milk Chocolate as followed:
    -1 scoop before my workout mixed with creatine and pre-workout. **the carbs mix well with the creatine and l-arginine and help with giving you a sustainable energy throughout your workout**
    -2 Scoops after my workout. I just love the taste so much when mixed with milk.
    -1 scoop before bed mixed with milk.

Conclusion: MuscleMilk Chocolate mixes pretty well but just tastes SO GOOD that it is super convenient. It is great for not really replacing meals but getting you through class or work after a workout. I believe ISOPURE or 0 calorie whey Isolate proteins are BULLS*** and don't work. I love a protein with some carbs and some calories to really help me get an extra energy boost before workouts and to recover after workouts. The mix of Casein (time-released muscle feeding protein) and Whey(instant released muscle feeding protein) combines for a great overall protein that is EXTREMELY VERSATILE. All-in-all most proteins are the same and don't really work all that well but MUSCLE MILK IS THE BEST MIDDLE GROUND PROTEIN BETWEEN A 0 CALORIE ISOLATE AND A WEIGHT GAINER SHAKE!

Definitely great for all athletes too!

Also, Costco is the place to get your Muscle Milk!

Fair and Honest,
    GodofSerbia1
    • Healthy
    DMPMan
      March 3, 2012

I recently just finished my second tub of Cytosport Muscle Milk, chocolate.

Overall: 8

I saw some significant gains, not all were muscle though. I gained about 15 pounds total. Keep in mind in order to do so, I had to consume a lot of extra calories aside from the protein shake. Anyone that thinks you can gain 15 pounds solely from a shake is an idiot -_-

Effectiveness: 9

I gave this product a 9/10. Solid product. The only reason I didn't give it a perfect 10 is because you have to take the shake religiously every day in order to see results. Can't just casually take it now and then. I can't say that all of my lifts went up solely because of this product. My recovery was greatly sped up though.

Value: 6

I gave this product a 6/10 in value because it is rather pricey for what you get. If you only do 1 scoop then you get your moneys worth, but 16g of protein is not enough for me. Double the scoop is double protein, but you cut the total amount of servings in half.

Overall a good product. Try to watch the prices though, cytosport.
    • Pricy
    • High Carbs/fat
    • Not The Best Value

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.