CytoGainer Reviews

By: Cytosport

CytoGainer is a Weight Gainer manufactured by Cytosport. It is a protein based supplement that has additional calories from carbohydrates and fats. It is meant to add additional calories for the body in order to assist with weight and muscle mass gain.

Click here to read our
Ultimate Mass Gainer Guide

September 28, 2013

• Primarily Whey Concentrate Not Isolate
Cytosport's Cytogainer is promoted as a 'lean mass gainer' which I have throughly enjoyed and can certainly say that in conjunction with a solid diet and training regime this product will certainly fulfill it's claims.

------------------

ingredient profile

---------------------------------
Now this is something which leaves cytogainer biting at the heels of its competitors *cough* pro complex gainer *cough*. The fact that whey protein concentrate is the primary protein source for this protein isn't as bad considering its a gainer so the extra calories aren't as bad however it still puts it behind in my opinion in comparison to those with primarily isolate. Cytogainer gainer consists of 54g of protein and 74g of carbs and 550 calories in a full serving which is four scoops. The carbs are purely maltodextrin which when post training is good as it results in a insulin spike which causes the shuttling of nutrients into the muscles which causes greater growth post training. A standout of cytogainer in my opinion is the added creatine and glut amine alongside the already solid amino acid profile from the protein. So considering the bonus of 3G of creatine and added glutamine in my opinion makes cytogainer equal with its competitors.

--------------------------

Taste

----------------------------------------
I usually by my proteins in chocolate flavour as I feel it's a safe option and I think it's safe to say the cytogainer a chocolate malt is one of the best tasting protein powders I have tried! If you shake it for about 30 seconds with water I usually don't have clumps.

-----------------------

---------------------------------
I gained about 7lb through a bag of cytogainer I noticed a small amount of fat gain but not much. When I used cytogainer I ended up having a 500 calorie excess so I wasn't going crazy with the calories as I wanted to keep fat gains minimal. One thing I wanted to clear up is that it grinds my gears when people claim that the powder is the reason for their fat gains while bulking this isn't purely because of the supplement! Gainers are used to help people reach a caloric excess which is required in order to gain muscle so don't blame the supplement! I noticed significant strength gains whilst on this including 10lb on my squat and bench and 15lb on my deadlift. Visually I noticed slight size on my arms and chest. For the record Whilst bulking I was using a 6-day split training chest on one day, arms on the other etc etc with abs 3 times a week.

----------------------------

Overall

------------------------------------
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed cytogainer as it helped me meet my caloric requirements and also served as a great meal replacement for convenience if I accidentally missed a meal. I enjoyed it as i looked forward to drinking it as it tasted awesome and it helped me gain good clean mass. I would highly recommend this gainer to anyone endomorphic/mesomorphic looking to gain mass!

June 27, 2013

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Packs On Mass!!
  • Not Thick
  • Great Recovery
    So I have been using Muscle Milk for many many years. I have always liked the taste, it sits well with my stomach and it seemed to work well for me back in my prime years. Now that I'm back on the horse, I am back on the Milk. My goal has been to cut a good 5-7% body fat while putting another 10-15lbs of muscle back on. Keeping my good history with Muscle Milk in mind, I confidently decided to try Cyto Gainer.

I compared it to a number of other gainers on the market and I decided it had the mix of carbs, protein and aminos that I was looking for. High protein, a good maintenance dose of creatine and some (but not a lot) of carbs, to keep my growth lean. Pricing at my local supp shop was pretty competitive also.

I was doing the gainer in the mornings, as breakfast, and pre-workouts. I used Muscle Milk in the afternoons and post-workouts. I am gluten sensitive so I was stoked to see that the Cyto Gainer is gluten-free. It didn't upset my stomach or make me gassy at all. It actually mixes better than Muscle Milk. Two scoops in 8 oz of skim milk mixed smooth as silk in my Blender Bottle. 2 scoops of Muscle Milk in 12 oz of skim milk is still pretty thick. I get the vanilla flavor because it allows me to mix it with juice to make smoothies for a change of pace but the taste is just fine on its own.

I appreciated the fact that it had L-Glutamine, Creatine and other aminos in it. It was saving me a good deal of money on my maintenance doses. So I just had to take my creatine separately on my off-days with the Muscle Milk. It didn't seem to have any side effects with my other supplements.

Anyhow, if you're following my supplement journal "Don't call it a comeback" you'll see that after 6 weeks of using Cyto Gainer as part of my routine I'm down a couple % body fat but my strength gains and have been steadily climbing and my lean weight is up a couple pounds.

I'm convinced this is a solid product for lean gains.

March 21, 2013

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Packs On Mass!!
    • Great Recovery
      So I just finished my tub of cyto gainer cookies n cream and I gotta say I personally loved the taste so that category gets a 10 in my book. Cytogainer has some good amino acids in it like l- isoleucine , l-leucine , l- valine , l-tryptophan , l- lysine , l-threonine l- phenylalanine and l-methionine . It claims to have fast and slow acting proteins . It's also has 3 gs of creatine per 4 scoops which doesn't really seem like enough to do anything.

It's got 54 gs of protein , 76 gs of carbs , 560 calories and the creatine per 4 scoops.

With that said the recovery is excellent I use 4 scoops post workout and 4 scoops about an hour before I go to sleep. It mixes pretty well as long as you shake it thourly. Some clumps but nothing that bothered me just shake a little harder and that problem is solved. I don't mix with water u use milk instead. Tastes better and I get more protein. Price isn't too bad around $45 at vitamin shoppe but I'm sure you could get cheaper online.

I weigh 200lbs gained about 14 lbs in the past month in a half. I workout 6 days a week but I also stack nitric fuel with jack3d and just started takin daa pure so the gains aren't just from this supp. If you read my other review u know I just got out so that has a lot to do with the weight gains as well. I'd say it helps muscle growth in a way because it delivers the proteins your muscles need to grow. It defineatly helped with putting on mass. Right now my muscles are hard as ever which is probably from the nitric fuel and daa pure tho.

I just finished my tub and switched to monster mass made by cyto sport as well.its got more fats and has casiens which cytogainer doesn't. It's also aminogen which is supposed to make digestion of aminos and proteins easier but ill give a review on that once I finish it.

Hope you find this helpful ,

April 16, 2012

• Lean Mass
      • Ok Recovery
      • Little Expensive
      Well I used 2, 6lb tubs of this while I was on my lean bulk. All around a pretty good product for my first weight gainer. The purpose of cyto gainer is for lean bulking. It did a pretty good job. What I liked about cyto gainer was how many COMPLEX carbs it had, low fat, protein, and creatine it had in it.
      Ingredient profile:
      total fat -6g, protein - 54g, Carbs -76g, creatine - 3g (For every 4 scoops)
      Amino acid profile, (For every 4 scoops 150g of amino acids):

L-Histidine: 1,030mg
      L- Tyrosine: 1,645mg
      L- Proline: 3,500mg
      L-Serine: 2,540mg
      I love the fact cytosport tells you the amino acids. I think this is a pretty good amino acid profile.

Taste : I got 2, 6lb tubs of strawberries N' cream. The taste was very good. It was a little thick though. It tasted like strawberries and I like strawberries. Taste- 9.

Effectiveness: The way I dosed it was for the first tub I used 4 scoops and then for the second I used 3 or 2.5 scoops. When I used 4 the tub ran out quick... But, when I used 4 scoops I noticed better results. I drank it 15-20 mins after I worked out. While I used cyto gainer I noticed some strength gains probably because of the creatine. My squat and calf raises went up about 20lbs by the time I finished both 6lb tubs. I'm a football player so that's always a plus, when my squat goes up. But, the thing I liked the best about this is how I really was not gaining fat. I mean I gained some fat but not a lot at all. I was gaining lean muscle mass. I noticed a big increase in lean muscle on my thighs, claves, and arms. My thighs and calves look much more defined then they were before. Also, my shoulders looked more defined. And my standing shoulder press went up about 10lbs after I finished both tubs. Also, right after I finished a 6lb tub I started the next tub. So, maybe that's why I got such good results. Another thing is I noticed pretty good recovery after a hard workout. It was not amazing but it was pretty decent. I was less sore when I woke up. Also, when i started my lean bulk I weighed about 212, then when I finshed both tubs I weighed 225. Effectivness-8

Value: I got both 6lb tubs off allstarhealth.com for each of them 36$ plus shipping. I thought that was a great value. But, a downside is how fast the tubs run out if you use 4 scoops... If you use 4 scoops it's only 18 servings per tub. So I either used 2.5 or 3 scoops. Value:7

Mixablity: If you mix this with "luke warm water", it mixes good. I still got some clumps. But, it was not that bad. But, when it was mixed with cold water I got huge clumps and there was still protein at the bottom of my shaker that I could not get out until I washed my shaker. Once I tried mixing it with milk and all hell broke loose. Their were huge clumps and tons of protein all over my shaker this made me really mad. So, I will never try that again. Also, another thing is the mixture was very thick. For me it was pretty hard to drink after a hard workout. Mixablity-5

February 24, 2012

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Packs On Mass!!
      • Little Expensive
      So I have been learning a great deal off of this site and thought that it was time to start giving back! This is my first review so bare with me.

CYTO GAINER

I can honestly say this stuff really works. I have been a solid 168 to 172 since I was got out of boot camp in '03. I will add that I am 6'2"...so yup...skinny fella.

I started taking this last August which was when I started working out again for the first time in a few years. In August I was 170lbs even the first day at the gym. 10 weeks later I hit 200lbs! This is no lie...here is a link with day 1 pic week 7 and week 10.

I ran a few tubs of this stuff supplementing 3 good meals (for the most part) a day. I would take 1 shake between breakfast and lunch, 1 between lunch and dinner, 1 post work out and 1 right before bed. There was even 1 point where I got really motivated and would wake up at about the 4hr mark of my sleep and drink a shake...but that lasted for about 2 and half weeks before I decided I valued my sleep more.

Quick stats...
      54g protein/serving 74g carbs/serving, 550 cal, 3 grams of creatine, and only 4.5 grams of fat per serving (4 scoop servings with the chocolate malt) This is one of the things I like the most...was the little fat content. I really didnt gain belly weight...No with that being said I really didn't get no six pack out of the deal but I was ok with that.

Mixes very well! When I first started taking this I thought there was a bit of a fishy taste to it but it would later grow on me and after having tried other flavors and other brands I look forward to the taste now. I did order one cookies and cream and will never order that again, fyi.

I gave the value a 7 cause this stuff is spendy...but I can't say it didn't provide me with the results I wanted...so long run...worth it for me.

Couple of things to add. If you are a hard gainer like myself then I would recommend trying the same diet I did. It was very uncomfortable...I was always full. Sometimes taking 30+ mins to choke down my meals. I stretched out my sets 2-5 mins to burn as few calories as possible...I did no cardio what so ever. Also I was taking Kre-alkalyn 1500, nitrox 2, and later on I started ISA-TEST GF. So I can't credit all my gains to just this...however the diet is where I honestly believe I got the most!

I quit taking this when we pulled out of Iraq and moved here to the Stan and lost about 8 lbs. I have maintained 192 for the past 2.5 months while only eating 3 meals (no shakes). Though I think the initial weight loss was due to the high altitude and a 1 mile walk to and from work.

So long story longer...I would highly recommend this product if you don't mind kicking out a couple of bucks and if you DO IT RIGHT. Choke it down with 3 well rounded meals a day!

Good luck and thanks for reading!

September 9, 2011

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Packs On Mass!!
      • Chocolate Malt Tastes Amazing
      • Loss Of Defintion
      just so you know a little about what i was trying to do, im 6'0 180 and have always had lean muscle and wanted to put a little size on..

Taste: i got the chocolate malt one and i have ran threw different flavors of protiens and honestly this one tasted amazing but i did it with milk i never tried it with water.

Side effects: wasnt really much i did seem to get pretty bad gas and im not sure if it was from this or what but i noticed gettin dry skin i dont know why but only after i started using this product.. not saying its the reason just mentioning it because i noticed only after starting this but idk..

Results: prob. put on about 3-5 pounds of muscle after a month i did as directed and took 3 times a day plus one 30 mins after workout with mixing it with milk i got that full feeling pretty easy had to force myself to finish most of the time unless it was right after i woke up.

Other: great stuff i will prob keep on it for a couple months would recommend it to anyone trying to bulk up, taste was the best really even if you dont like protien shakes this one was more of a milkshake taste to it like i said before i had lean muscle so i was pretty ripped with using this i seem to look the cuttness a little but it was replaced by size and strenght so wasnt to worried about it.

July 27, 2011

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Packs On Mass!!
      • Thick As F*ck
      I thought this was going to be a GNC bring back after my first shake because it tasted funky. I gave it another try and it grew on me with each shake. I have now gone through three of the 3.3lb tubs. I mix with water and do not use the recomended 4 scoops. Instead I use 3 and only drink it on lifting days. Even with three scoops it is pretty thick. I put it in a water bottle and shake the hell out of it to get it to disolve but this works. Its really only an issue if your stuck with only a cup to mix with.

Effectiveness - I started at 160 pounds and got up to 165 while eating 5 meals a day after my third tub. Before I get flagged for bs please realize that I am also not attributing all my gains to this product. Over a two month period my bench press 1rm went from 235 to 250. I also started doing dynamic effort bench press (menshealth) which I think has more to do with my gains than anything. I did not take note of 1rm for any other exercises so sorry no numbers.

Taste - Like I said, at first I thought it was gross but it grew on me and now it tastes OK.

Side effects - None really. I do get a little bloated even with only three scoops.

I highly recommend this product. I was not crazy about the taste but that was really my only issue and it is a minor one. It is effective and reasonably priced during gold week.

July 27, 2011

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Packs On Mass!!
      • Some Bad Gas
      Ok. Just finished my first tub of 3.31 or something like that lbs of CytoGainer and I was pretty amazed at how well it worked when I stayed consistent with it. It says to take 4 scoops in 2 cups of milk or water. I got the Vanilla shake flavor so naturally I mixed it in milk. 4 scoops and 2 cups of milk is A LOT to drink at one time. So i split it into 2 shakes of 1cup 2 scoops. One in the morning and one at night. (I work at a gym and do my workouts on the clock, I know sweet job right?) but it doesnt mix well in a shaker so I use a blender at home.

I don't remember how long the jug lasted me. Prob about 3 weeks, I didnt always take 2 shakes a day. Sometimes 1. But I gained a solid 5 pounds. I was stuck at like 165-167 FOR EVER. after my jug of cyto gainer I sat at 172 and stayed there. I had already ordered another 5lb jug and am about half way thru that one but the taste of the shake is deff starting to get old. I was sucking them down on the first jug.

DEFF try a smaller 3.3lbs jug first its like 20 bucks before you buy a bigger one but it does work at you will put on mass. Gave me some Boost lifting too. I benched 225 for the first time and I had never done more than 205 with a spot. the extra weight turned to muscle. I workout at least 4 or 5 times a week.

July 6, 2011

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Packs On Mass!!
      • Thick As F*ck
      I've only been lifting for about a year and I've been taking supplements an shorter amount of time than that, but CytoGainer has easily been my favorite supplement thus far.

The taste was fine for me, strawberries n' cream or whatevs got the job done, water or milk, didn't matter. Mixing the stuff was quite a job though, especially with milk. You could throw 7 blender balls in your shaker and get Mike Tyson to beat on it after and you still might have some clumps.

I could easily consider myself a hard gainer so this stuff really did the trick in terms of packing on mass. I think I put on about 12 lbs. with the 2 tubs I went through which is pretty substantial considering my diet was a joke at the time. There is a nice little serving of creatine in this as well so when I was stacking mono hydrate with it I of course saw greater gains.

As for side effects I never really saw any besides what my friend went through with his tubs. He would take his serving post workout then about 20 minutes later he would have to eat or, as he described it, "The Cyto-Monster will eat me from the inside out!". So if you're every feeling a little weird after taking this stuff, eat something. Or take a poopie.

I recommend everyone try this if you want some sweet gains. I'll most likely be running this again myself as it's effectiveness and price can't be beat.

June 23, 2011

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Packs On Mass!!
      • Chocolate Malt Tastes Amazing
      • Containers Go Quick.
      my first MASS supplement, it has 56 g of protein, 80 g of complex carbs and 3g of creatine monohydrate to support lean muscle MASS with a 650 calories per serving. a 2lbs container is good for 10 servings and i would recommend to take it 30- 45 mins post workout cause it is the time when our muscle absorbs protein and other nutrients. the instruction in the bottle says it should be consume 3x a day but in my own opinion it will just cause kidney cramping and it is also too expensive. no gas , no bloating.

effectiveness: 8/10

definitely effective.. faster recovery, packs on mass,incredible weight gain , and very good taste. once you've try it you will want to buy another tub of it.

dosage: 4/10

dosage is not that good ,, for you to able to get the above nutrients you need a 4 scoops of it. and it is thick so be sure to mix it in a liter of water, and always drink lots of water during the day..

value: 8/10 it is slightly more expensive than serious MASS and Muscle Juice but it is worth it.

side effects: 10/10

mix poorly.