Ranks #76 (better than 69%)
In: Pre-Workout > Stimulant

Cavalry is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Crusader Supplements. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

Welcome to SupplementReviews.com

The supplement industry is notorious for agressive marketing and misinformation.

Frankiemusc
TROOPer Level: 67
  April 17, 2017

Introduction:

Thank you to the SR Troops program and the folks at Crusader Supplements, for the opportunity to try their pre-workout Calvary.

Why I selected this product:

Pre-workouts are a staple for me, as I train 4-5 days per week just before 5am. As an aging 42 year old male, I require that extra energy to get me going for a workout.

At 2 servings Calvary was at 300mg of caffeine, just a tad higher than I like to go at 275mg for a pre-workout. Plus it had several forms of creatine, and citrulline malate.

Ingredient Profile:

This isn't a requirement for me, but the product has a fully disclosed profile. I am ok with companies protecting their formulas. Going to discuss some of the main ingredients that are important to me.

L-Citruline- under dosed her for me at 3.25 grams- I have had no benefit with less than 6 grams

3 forms of creatine- I guess the goal here is to mix the creatine via various forms, for results

Agmatine Sulfate 750mg- I am good to go with 1.5 grams, slightly under dosed for me

Taste 7/10:

The product is sold in one flavor at this time, which is Black Ice, a berry and pomegranate flavor. It was a decent flavor, not the best. No dyes which is a plus. I found the flavor itself a little tart.

Mixability 9/10:

I started out taking 1.5 scoops, mixed on 10 ounces of water, 2 ounces less than the directions suggested, which was stirred in a glass with a spoon. I had no issues with mixing, floaters, clumping or residue of any kind.

Dosing:

Pretty straightforward here, I started out with 1.5 scoops 30 min before my workout, on an empty stomach. I gradually worked up to 2 scoops after several weeks.

Packaging:

I would agree with another reviewer here, this product was packed to the gills in this tub. The first week was a challenge, as not to spill out any product all over the counter. And I found myself wiping product back into the container several times. Also, I has to insert the scooper, handle in for the first week of use, which was rather annoying

Effectiveness 7.5/10:

Cavalry was a pretty effective pre-workout for me. Stim junkies will not be fond of the product, so I think its geared toward the mid-tier stim user. Starting out at 1.5 scoops was effective, and after a few weeks at this dosage, I was inclined to go to a full 2 scoops. I did develop a tolerance to the product.

Energy was probably a 7.5/10:

I found this satisfied my pre 5am energy needs to get through my workout. The product did not increase my sweating, but provided a nice jolt to power through my workout.

Focus was a 7.5/10 as well, nothing mind blowing. The product did the job in this area. Slight tunnel vision that made me concentrate on the task at hand, as opposed to taking nothing.

Pumps 4/10:

The pumps were just normal as if I didn't take anything. I feel the under dosing of agmatine sulfate and citrulline malate caused this for me. The ingredient label is marketed as an energy, strength and pump product based on the ingredients. I feel the lack of a noticeable pump is a negative here, however, I am not going to harp on it, as I am on the heavier side and the energy/focus delivered for me.

Strength 3/10:

With the blend of 3 different creatines, I noticed no added strength gains or water retention.

Value 5/10:

As of this review, the products are only found on Crusader's website, because it's a relatively new company. Totally understandable, until they can get into the online community of stores.
The product is listed for $59.99, but a 20% coupon code exists for first time orders. This knocks it down to just under $48. Tough to penalize a new company trying to get their product out there to the masses.
If 1.5 scoops are effective for you, that provides some value for you.

Side Effects:
I experienced no side effects for the duration of this product

Conclusion:

Cavalry was an effective product for me in the energy and focus department. I like to see new companies succeed in a cut throat market, and I wish Crusader the best. I would suggest to add higher dosages to your pump ingredients for noticeable results. Your existing pump ingredients are simply under dosed. I am looking forward to any new products that come out in the future.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Quality Ingredients
  • No Pumps
  • Underdosed Pump Ingredients
  • Black Ice: 7/10
Cray
TROOPer Level: 57
  April 7, 2017

(Thanks to Crusader Supplements for sending it out!)

You know, honestly, I didn't need more preworkout but Cavalry looked so badass I just had to try it.

Crusader Supplements does it right with a fully disclosed profile. Their website claims they are committed to developing products containing clinical dosages of proven ingredients, and they demonstrate just that in Cavalry. I want to commend Crusader for this attitude. It's refreshing and much appreciated.

Cavalry isn't flashy, but it's not overly simple either. It's well rounded and is hitting you with the standard preworkout players, a nootropic, three forms of Creatine, solid dosages of caffeine and theobromine. As Shinndigg pointed out in his review, the Citrulline Malate dose is low compared to like supplements. It's still technically effective, I found a study where 3g was found to have a positive impact, but most preworkouts are packing closer to 6g of the stuff per dose.

Aside from the CM, I thought everything else was on point.

Cavalry comes in one flavor - Black Ice - which is a berry and pomegranate blend. I liked it. It's refreshing and different, and not overly sweet or strongly flavored. Plus they're no dyes used here. Deus Vult!

I generally dosed 1.5 scoops about 30 minutes preworkout in 12oz. of water. No issues at all with mixability, clumping, or foaming.

The only thing that drove me nuts? The fact the container is absolutely PACKED with product. The scooper is large and you have to put it into the product handle first, so for the first quarter of the tub I was regularly spilling powder every time I went to get the scooper out. As I am the foremost connoisseur of scooper etiquette here on SR.com, I feel obliged to inform Crusader a smaller-handled scooper is needed. These are the important issues people.

I really enjoyed Cavalry for a number of reasons. I played with the dosage a bit and found that even one scoop was decently effective for me, but 1.5 really hit the sweet spot. Surprisingly the creatine blend and endurance boosting properties of this preworkout hit me extremely hard. I found myself blasting through workouts, which was a godsend as I've recently had a second kid and have been getting into the gym irregularly and usually with less sleep. Cavalry picked up the slack though.

I didn't notice much in the pump department, and the initial energy surge from the caffeine was nothing spectacular (still good - exactly what I'd expect from 225mg caffeine), but the fact I was adding in extra sets and doing more cardio spoke to the effectiveness and quality of this product.

Crusader is new to the supplement game and it looks like their products are currently only available on their website. It's listed as $60 on their site (not the $50 on SR.com), but you can get 20% off your first order, meaning you can land a tub of Cavalry for $48. I'm ranking value based on that sale price - understand the value would go down a point or two for me if I had to pay $60.

The value is also dependent on how much you need to feel the full effects. If you're like me and 1.5 scoops works, you're paying right around $1.00 per scoop which is the industry average. Considering its effectiveness, I'm giving Cavalry a high value score. I personally like that they give you such a large amount of product and enable you to find the right dose for you at a good price point.

Side Effects

No issues at all.

Conclusion

Cavalry is a solid, well-rounded preworkout that hits all the right notes. It's a clean profile, clinically dosed, contains no dyes, and is all around the type of product I personally look for when I'm buying supplements. I commend Crusader on their mission and what they've done with Cavalry, and look forward to trying more of their products in the feature.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Quality Ingredients
  • Well-Rounded
  • Black Ice: 8/10
shinndigg
TROOPer Level: 35

April 5, 2017

(Thanks to Crusader Supplements for sending it out!)
A big thanks going out to Crusader Supplements for the hook up on this product as well as a t-shirt, always nice to get free stuff. More and more nowadays we're seeing pre-workouts hit the market with an emphasis on clinical dosages of effective ingredients that are fully disclosed on the labels. This is a trend I'm personally happy to see, and hope that continues to grow.

Dosage: Two scoops 20-30 minutes pre-workout.

Ingredient Profile (8/10): This product can be taken at one or two scoops; I went with two to get the full experience. To start off a two scoop dose will hit you with 3.25 grams of Citrulline Malate, this is a little low in my opinion as I feel 6 to 8 grams of Citrulline Malate is more of an effective dose. Next up is 3 grams of Beta Alanine. While it falls a little shy of the 3.2 gram "magic number" for Beta Alanine, I feel a dosage between 3 to 4 grams of Beta Alanine is sufficient.

This product utilizes 3 types of creatine; Creatine Magnapower, Creatine HCL, and Creatinol-o-Phosphate for a total of 4 grams per two scoops. While I personally prefer creatine monohydrate, these alternative forms of creatine all show promise as effective strength and endurance builders. My personal experiences with Magnapower have been positive, and is a creatine that I trust now.

Rounding out the profile is 750mg of Agmatine Sulfate, which is a decent amount. Although I've found a dose of 1 gram to be most effective, this is still a decent amount. A generous dose of caffeine at 300mg, and Theobromine and phenylethylamine for nootropic affect.

All in all, a pretty decent profile that is fully disclosed.

Mixture (8/10): I mixed two scoops with about 16 to 18 ounces of water. Most of the powder dissolved, but there was a trace amount of undissolved powder at the bottom of the cup. Not the worst I have ever seen, but definitely noticeable.

Taste (7.5/10): The flavor I received for this product was called "Black Ice", described as a Blueberry/Pomegranate mix. The taste was pretty decent, not overly sweet or bitter. I would actually describe it as a little on the bland side, which I personally don't mind. This was an easy product to chug right before hitting the gym with no nasty lingering aftertaste.

Effectiveness (8.5/10): When considering the overall effectiveness of a pre-workout, I like to look at what I consider the 5 major points of performance: strength, endurance, energy, focus, and pumps.

Strength- With the three forms of creatine this product utilizes, it provided a nice little boost of strength. I was able to gradually increase weight on certain lifts, most notably incline press and dumbbells for curls. I was also able to maintain weight on other lifts such as squats and rows.

Endurance- I love training with Beta Alanine, it's one of my favorite supplements overall to use. Some research I have read suggests that combining Beta Alanine with Creatinol-o-Phosphate can help further increase endurance. My experience with this product leads me to believe that statement. I was training at a little bit of a higher rep range at 6-8 reps on most lifts, and I was able to pump them out and keep coming back for more while using this product.

Energy- Hard not to feel something with 300mg of caffeine, even a hardened stim junkie like myself can feel a little bump with that. I did tend to crash afterwards though, so that is the one drawback.

Focus- I didn't quite experience that "tunnel vision" euphoria you can find at times with a pre-workout sometimes, but the focus factor with this product was decent and noticeable.

Pumps- Pumps I would say were around average. Cirulline and Agmatine are a good combo for pumps, but I feel that with both ingredients on the lower side of the spectrum in dosage the pumps weren't as prevalent as I have felt with other pre-workouts. Still a good feeling and some veins popping, but nothing to rant and rave over.

Value (5/10): The only place I was able to spot this was on Crusader's own website at $59.99. If you take two scoops like I did, which is the only way I feel you'd get any benefit from this product, then you're paying right at about $2 a serving. While I did like this product, that's a super steep price tag to pay. Hopefully this becomes available at major outlets at a more reasonable price.

This is a solid pre-workout that provides some quality ingredients and quality results. It's a bummer that it's not widely available or at a decent price yet though. However this does get a thumbs up from me, and the Shinndigg Seal of Approval!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Strength
  • Good Endurance
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Caffeine Crash