Orange OxiMega Fish Oil Reviews

By: Controlled Labs

Orange OxiMega Fish Oil is an Essential Fatty Acid manufactured by Controlled Labs. It contains fats that must be obtained through diet. They serve a wide array of critical roles including cardiovascular, mental and joint health.

October 7, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Easy To Swallow
  • Higher Epa/dha Concentration
  • Contaminent Free
  • Fish Burps
  • Mild Stomach Discomfort

Oximega Fish Oil is a good, high quality fish oil but still comes with the usual fish oil burps.

Oximega peaked my interest during a BOGO promotion. I had taken a normal fish oil supplement from a retail store but I had never invested in a quality fish oil until Oxi. I like the fact that they were tested to be free of heavy metals and that they were also enteric coated to minimize fish burps. I still did have fish burps 50% of the time after taking them but I do believe the overall benefits of fish oil outweigh this.

Total Omega-3s: 2000mg

-EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid): 800mg
-EPA is the more important of the two omega 3s when it comes to reducing inflammation. This is because it inhibits the enzyme D5D which produces arachidonic acid. AA can be converted into eicosanoids which are the main facilitator of cell inflammation.

-DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid): 400mg
-DHA is especially beneficial for nerve cells due to its large molecular size. The size of DHA is bigger than EPA. This means that when entered into the cell membrane it increases fluid. This is acualy beneficial for cells and aids in transport and transmitting of critical components/impulses.

-Mixed: 800mg

Dosing with fish oil is still up in the air medically, with some people recommending 500mg-1000mg of EPA+DHA. I do believe Oximega provides a good quality and also good quantity on this product. The serving size is 2 pills.

The total effectiveness of this product is hard to measure due to its long term benefits. Fish oil does have a huge amount of studied benefits from cardiovascular to joint repair and even cognitive. One aspect I did notice was my mild shoulder pain seemed better than usual. I don't have any serious issues, just a soreness after heavy lifting. This did decrease after a couple days of taking oximega and completely went away when I paired Oxymega with Orange Triad.

The value on this product I believe is good. The price point is $17.99 on bodybuilding.com and can be found a couple dollars cheaper on other sites. BB frequently runs BOGO or BOGO50% so this that would be a good chance to pick this up at better value. Even at full price though it runs around 30 cents/serving.

Side Effects

This product, even with enteric coating, caused fish burps. Also it caused some bowel issues for the first couple days but then seemed to get better and i havnt had any issues since.

Conclusion

Overall I would recommend this product to anyone looking to improve health and especially to people who don't get much fatty fish into their diet. The downside of fish oil burps are still here for me but that will not stop me from buying again.

May 21, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Easy To Swallow
  • Higher Epa/dha Concentration
  • Neutral Citrus Smell

I'm a powerlifter and aspiring strength coach. Currently, I'm working on this nagging lower back strain, but I'm still working out 4 days a week. I just have to take it easy on the weight. I take a mix of different supplements, some for general health and others for athletic performance. Typically, I have a multi, a fish oil, a protein powder, a pre-workout, and a joint support/anti-inflammation supp in the mix.

This is a fish oil product. Generally, speaking, people take fish oil for heart health (and because they don't eat fatty fish regularly), but fish oil can provide a slew of other benefits: reduced risk of stroke, improved brain function, relief from osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis, and reduced risk for certain types of cancer.

You do, though, want to be careful when selecting a fish oil product. Subpar fish oil products can be rancid or have unreasonably high levels of mercury. I would not just get any product off the shelf in the store. You do want to know and trust the brand you are buying.

The only noteworthy ingredients are the EPA and the DHA (the omega 3s). One serving is 2 gel capsules, which has 800mg EPA and 400mg DHA, so 1200mg omega 3s in total. The American Heart Association does not suggest a specific amount for daily omega 3 intake in healthy individuals. It only makes recommendations for those who have certain risk factors (and for those people the recommendation can vary from 500-2000mg a day).

From what I have read, 250-500mg omega 3s a day is a good minimum for the average joe, so Controlled Labs gives more than an efficacious dose for most people. Even half a serving would be a reasonable dose.

There's not much of a taste here. The pills are orange flavored to help mask any fishiness, but it's more of a scent than a taste to me. No fish burps though.

No mixability.

The dose is just 2 pills. They're easy enough to swallow.

Fish oil isn't something that you necessarily feel. If you're taking it for the heart benefits, you would really need repeated blood work testing to see how it's working for you.

I mostly take fish oil for heart reasons (family risk factors), so I can't feel it working for me, but I'm confident that it is. Fish oil has been extensively researched. Oximega has been tested and shown to meet label claims, so you should get all of the benefits of fish oil supplementation with this product. I do keep it in the freezer to protect it from going rancid (it also prevents fish burps).

If you're taking it for other reasons, joint pain, improved brain function, etc, it may be easier to see if it's working for you based on experience. I already take a joint support product and anti-inflammatories, so I wouldn't be able to say if Oximega is doing anything on top of those.

I think the price is pretty fair. Oximega is an ultra concentrated product, so you only need 1 pill to get enough omega 3s (in normal circumstances) and there are 120 pills per container, so 1 bottle can last you up to 4 months.

One bottle will retail for around $18, but a few times a year, you can find this product on BOGO or BOGO 50%, so you can get it for $9-13 a bottle if you're patient, and if you stock up when the sales are, you can save for the entire year.

There are cheaper products, of course, (I saw one product that offered 250 pills for $11), but they did not have the same concentration of omega 3s, so you would need to take more pills to get the same health benefits. This can be cumbersome, and if you're prone to fish burps or getting an upset stomach, you do not want to take 4-5 fish oil pills when you could have taken 1-2.

There are also more expensive fish oil products on the market. From what I could gather CL's product was in the middle on pricing, and I'm okay with that. I'll spend a few more dollars over the bare minimum and know that I'm getting what I'm paying for.

Side Effects

None. No fish burps, no upset stomach.

Conclusion

Not the most exciting product to review, no fun stims or crazy pumps here, but omega 3s are important for our health and are often lacking in American diets, so it's good to have a product as a backup.

Controlled Labs put out a good one and was one of the earlier companies to offer a concentrated fish oil product. There are more on the market now, but I'm happy with what I have here.

January 20, 2012

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Higher Epa/dha Concentration
    • Contaminent Free
    • A Little Expensive
    • Horrible Fish Burps
    Well there is not a lot you can really say about a fish oil supplement so I am going to keep this review short and sweet. We all know that there is a grocery list of benefits to taking a fish oil supplement daily and is one of the few supplements that I would actually list as a necessity to good health. That being said lets get into this one.

First off I really like that Orange Oximega has a high concentration of EPA and DHA. This means that less fish oil is needed to hit your target amount of these EFA's daily and therefore you will be ingesting less fat and cholesterol. It is also important to consider that a lot of bargain brand fish oils are sourced from fish that have a much higher mercury content.(because it is cheaper to produce) This can be from both the type of fish used in processing and also the origin of the fish. So when you consider that you are ingesting several grams of fish oil on a daily basis it becomes more of a concern to have a well sourced fish oil such as this. CL also includes a small dose of Vitamin E to help fortify the fish oil.

What I don't like about this product is two things. One being the cost of the product. It is not too bad considering they are more concentrated and contaminate free, but $15 for a 40 day supply(120 per bottle and I take three a day) seems a little steep to me. The other downside is the fish burps. They claim to be enteric coated and citrus flavored but believe me they give fish burps worse than most other fish oils I have tried. Not that it is an issue but I don't appreciate someone saying citrus flavored when it makes your burps taste like straight chum.

I have run through probably six bottles of Orange Oximega and I don't think that I will ever go back to a bargain fish oil since the idea is to be healthier and not slowly kill yourself with mercury poisoning. I would recommend this product to anyone with a little spare cash who wants a quality EFA product.

September 2, 2011

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Easy To Swallow
    • Neutral Citrus Smell
    • A Little Expensive
    With the benefits of Fish Oil being pretty well documented, this is one of those essential supplements in your stack (for most people).

This was my first Controlled Labs product and it turned me on to them in a big way. They and ON make some of the best products, as far as I'm concerned.

While there are pros and cons to taking a Fish Oil supplement in softgel form (some argue that the manufacturing process of softgels burn or destroy a lot of that essential fatty acid) this is one of the better brands of Fish Oil you can buy.

Their (independent) lab tests verify very low levels of harmful heavy metals and PCBs in this Fish Oil and Controlled Labs does what a lot of others won't and actually lists the all-important amounts of EPA and DHA in a serving (2 softgels) of this supp so you can decide how much to take-- it's not a shot in the dark like with cheaper brands.

With that said, there are cheaper alternative brands with bigger bottles and better ratios of EPA/DHA out there-- I've picked up NOWs Ultra Omega-3 Fish Oil as my next Fish Oil supplement, although I've read that liquid Fish Oil is probably the most beneficial for you. If only it wasn't so much trouble!

January 12, 2011

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Improved Mood
      In times past, I pretty much though of Fish Oil as a boring essential, something that was necessary, but not something I would do that much work around researching and differentiating one product from another. Fish Oil is not one of those supplements that we get all excited about that we must tell everyone we know about, but it is essential whether your a lifter, an athlete, or just an ordinary person who wants to stay healthy.
      This was my first go around with Controlled Labs Orange Oxi Mega and was attracted me to the product was the very high levels of EPA (800mg/serving) and DHA (400/serving). This is double to triple what most ordinary Fish Oils offer.
      There was also the claim of no bad tasting fish burps as the product claims to add citrus flavor to eliminate the disgusting Fish Oil burps. As far as the Burps go, there were some, but I can't say there was any of the usual disgusting burps that usually accompany a Fish Oil supplement.

On the value front, you definately have to look twice at this product. In the past, I've usually bought the cheaper Fish Oils so the price tag made me think twice. Although not as expensive as many supps we take, this is at least twice as expensive as a normal Fish Oil supp coming in at .15/gram or .30/serving as the serving size is 2g. Most Fish Oil supps land somewhere between .04 and .10/serving so this is definately the priciest that I know of. I didn't downgrade it too far on price as this products servings have a far higher concentration of EPA and DHA than any other Fish Oil that I've looked at, so the value part is a little difficult to judge.

Uses and Effectiveness: 9/10
      There are books written on the subject of Omega 3 fatty acids which Fish Oil provides because they have so many good health benefits. Among the main ones are improved heart health, prevention of certain cancers, improved joint and bone health, improved skin, and improved serotonin levels which help your mental health. Study after study has shown the healthy effect of Fish Oil and eating fish as the people that do so tend to live longer and healthier lives.
      As far as this product specifically, Fish Oil is kinda like a vitamin in that you know what your taking is good for you, but you rarely see or feel the product working for you. As far as what I've noticed, I have noticed that my mood has improved, not leaps and bounds, but I find I'm just a little bit happier during periods when I take Fish Oil and in particular this one than when I'm not. I've also been told my skin and face look a little younger, but I can't say for sure on that one.
      As far as dosage, I take 2 caps twice/day which equals 4g/day.
      Overall, I am happy with this supplement, its hard to say with a Fish Oil supp how well its working, but knowing the higher levels of EPA and DHA this provides along with an improved mood is enough to keep me coming back for this one.