Gold Feast Reviews

By: Controlled Labs

Protein > Meal Replacements
Gold Feast is a Meal Replacement manufactured by Controlled Labs. It is a protein based supplement meant to provide additional fats and carbohydrates with the purpose of providing a quick and conveinient meal. It can promote lean muscle mass gain and aid in fat loss. It is not to be used as a sole source of nutrition.

Only 3 Reviews - Waiting for more trustworthy reviews

3.0
  August 31, 2013

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Decent Protein Sources
  • Contains Omega Fatty Acids
  • Balanced Macros
  • Mixability
  • Does Not Deliver
  • Strong Aftertaste
  • Fruit And Veggie Prop Blend
Let me start off by saying that I am a huge fan of Controlled Labs. They are the manufacturer of my favorite multivitamin and EAA/BCAA blend. I've also tried about half a dozen products from them and have never really be disappointed or let down, until now.

Profile:
Link to Profile: http://www.controlledlabs.com/images/GoldFeast%20supp%20facts.jpg

Quick Macro Recap:
Serving Size: 2 scoops
Calories: 200
Total Fat: 3 grams
Total Carbs: 23 grams
Protein: 20 grams

As you can see, you get a pretty well balanced mix of macronutrients and a reasonable amount of calories out of a full serving. This makes Gold Feast a reasonable choice for use as a quick snack or meal addition for any kind of diet plan. However, the amount of protein you get is somewhat smaller than what you normally get out of similar products. Controlled Labs also does throw in a new twist to the meal replacement/addition category with this product. Instead of using only a whey protein blend with other sources such as casein or egg. They use whey protein concentrate with a high level of Di and Tri peptides along with some whole oat flour as one of their sources. They also throw in a 3 gram proprietary blend of various fruits and veggies. Along with 2.5 grams of Omega fatty acids derived from Flaxseed and Sunflower oil. However, since the fruit and vegetable complex is a proprietary blend, there is no way of telling if you get any useful or substantial amounts of vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants out of a full serving of Gold Feast.

I'll start by saying that I never experienced any kind of bloating, indigestion, or any other similar digestion problems while using Gold Feast. That being said, I used this product solely as a meal replacement/addition to help fill in the gaps when I was unable to get a proper meal in throughout the day. And it is here where Gold Feast was simply unable to deliver. After consuming one serving I would generally feel hungry again about forty five minutes to an hour later. After eventually boosting my intake to two full servings I was able to be held over for about an one hour and a half at most. This made me even more frustrated with the product knowing that I was burning through the tub twice as fast.

Mixability: 4/10
The powder from Gold Feast is extremely thick and very messy as compared to other proteins. It also barely mixes in a shaker cup and leaves more foam head then a freshly poured glass of Guinness. The label on the tub does state this and recommends using a cup and spoon to hand stir the powder with water. This also does not produce very good results and tends to leave wet clumps of powder floating at the top and on the rim of the cup. Meaning that I had to drink and chew through clumps of powder everytime I consumed Gold Feast.

Taste: 6/10
This is really the only slight positive for Gold Feast in my book. I had two tubs of the lemon drop flavor which does actually have a sweet and mellow lemon taste to it. However, probably due to the mix of fruits and veggies and the oat flour, there is a strong bitter aftertaste that really ruined the flavor for me. I have also recently tried a sample of the watermelon flavor and got a similar result.

I paid right around 38$ a piece for both my tubs of Gold Feast while it was on sale at my local Vitamin Shoppe. And you can usually pick up a tub at about 40$ at piece at some of the cheaper online retailers. Going off that there is 30 servings per tub, this makes the price per day right around 1.30$. But with my experiences I eventually had to double the amount of servings I was taking which makes the price per day double. This is made even worse by the fact that I was basically getting nothing from the product after everything was said and done.

Overall: 4.25/10
Overall Gold Feast simply failed to deliver. The only thing it did well was to help make my wallet lighter. I know Controlled Labs has changed the profile/name of this product several times in the past in hopes of producing a quality protein. And they definitely didn't achieve that here in my opinion.

June 10, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Filling
  • Great Profile
  • Taste
  • Recovery Is Decent
  • Mixability
  • Interesting Flavor
Controlled labs Gold Feast. What an interesting protein. To start I really like Controlled Labs a lot and I feel they put out really quality supplements. They have changed their protein 3 or 4 times each being a pretty unique blend. Now on to the review.

Ingredients/Profile: 7/10- The ingredient profile on Gold feast is pretty solid. For 2 scoops your looking at roughly 200 calories which isnt bad. The fat content is 3grams but is also a healthy fat complex comprised of flax oil and sunflower oil which are both solid healthy fat sources. You are getting roughly 21 Carbs which is after the 2 grams of Fiber are accounted for. The carb source is nice because it is oat powder. This would make it great as a true meal replacement because oats are a complex carbohydrate and help with insulin levels. The downfall here though is if you do use this as post workout, which I did, you really want fast digesting carbs. And for me personally I would like a little more than 21 grams. The protein comes in at 20 grams, being made of partially hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate. Which is a pretty decent protein, but again it falls short only being 20 grams. I personally like the 30 to 40 even 50 range as that is where I see the best recovery. The one thing I will rave about in Gold feast is the fruit and veggie complex. Most meal replacements and post workouts do not utilize anything like this. Fruit and veggies are crucial for weight lifters for a multitude of reasons, and to be honest many of us probably dont get them in our diet. Which I think is why these guys included this. It was a 3 gram blend of various things ranging from apples to lettuce to watercress. This for me was probably the most impressive part of the profile for Gold Feast.

Mixability: 6/10- The mixability here was not good. The powder was extremely messy and literally got on everything. You also need 20 oz of water according to the label for this. Which is a lot of water to be taking in post workout. If you add that on to drinking your water intra workout you really dont want to slam down 20 oz of water post workout. It left me feeling bloated more often than I would have liked. I got a lot of clumps in this even with 20 oz of water which is kind of disappointing. I would mix it before I hit the gym and even after a 45 minute workout I would still have clumps. It was frustrating.

Taste: 8/10- Surprisingly the taste was pretty good. The Flavor was lemon drop. I mixed it with water and it tasted like a lemon pie and the flavor was enhanced and way more tasty in milk or almond milk. Downfall about drinking a protein flavor called lemon drop is you just sound ***. Overall the taste was good, but by the end of the tub you get kind of sick of it.

Effectiveness: 7/10- Its pretty hard to rate protein powders on effectiveness. Did I recover, yes. Was it better than any other protein powder, not really. I mean protein is protein. I made some gains, but to be honest that probably came more from my diet than anything else. I will say though it kept me full for a good 2 hours after my lifting sessions. Eventually I stopped using it as a post workout and just used it as a breakfast shake early in the am. So for recovery its average as an actual meal replacement I feel it does pretty well.

Value: 7/10- I paid 40 dollars for this via allstarhealth. Which I feel is an okay value. It has 30 servings. If you use it souly for post workout on an average 5 day split your looking at 1.33 a day and a little over a months use. But I personally feel its best used as a meal replacement. So thats kind of where the value takes the drop for me. If you use this every day for every month thats an extra 40 dollars. For 40 dollars a month you can buy protein, fruit, veggies, oats, flax seed oil, and still come out cheaper. But if you want something on the go this may be worth checking out.

Overall: 7/10- Gold feast changes the game on meal replacements for the amount of servings you get compared to most, and the profile it has. I feel like Gold feast would best be utilized as a meal replacement and not a post workout shake. I feel like this product would be most effective on a cut, or as an evening shake. Personally I think its better just to buy some food, or even make your own meal replacement. I feel like the only thing that really sets Gold feast apart from everything else is the Fruit and Veggie complex. And for 40 dollars a month I just cant justify that. Happy lifting guys.

May 22, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Filling
  • Great Profile
  • Taste
  • Mixability
I'll just start off by saying that I'm a huge fan of Controlled Labs Products. I do believe that gold feast is a great quality MRP but that it has just a few flaws that make me want to look elsewhere. However, it's likely that many people aren't bothered by some of the things that bothered me with this product.

Effectiveness: 9
Gold Feast is a very well designed and complete MRP. It contains 20g of protein, 23g of good carbs, and 27 calories of fat (good fats too). It also contains a pro-cho complex which delivers essential and branched chain amino acids for supporting lean muscle tissue and recovery between workouts. It also has natural oats for a CONTROLLED insulin response and a good amount of fiber. There's also a fruits and veggies complex and as mentioned before, a healthy fats complex. All these things make it a very well designed meal replacement.

Taste: 8
Some people really like the lemon flavor. I'm not a the biggest fan of it and would rather have vanilla or chocolate but it's definitely not the worst tasting thing in the world either. Overall, the flavor shouldn't be what holds you back from trying this stuff out.

Mixability: 5
This is my biggest problem with this protein. It just doesn't mix very well into a normal amount of liquid. A serving size is 2 scoops, but even if I only use one scoop I still can't get this to mix very well (even using a blender) into a normal size glass of liquid. I use the ninja blender cup to make my shakes and there's no way I can get enough liquid in that cup to properly mix with the powder (and I only use 1 scoop - half a serving). Instead it just settles right back out and sits on the bottom of the cup no matter how fast I drink it. I've never had this problem with ANY other protein I've used.

Value: 8
Gold Feast is a bit on the expensive side but well worth it if you're looking for a high quality and complete MRP.

Other thoughts:
Gold feast has a fruits and veggies complex which seems a bit redundant if you're already using the OxiMega kit that contains fish oil and greens powder.

Overall, I'd say this is a very good product with it's one major flaw being terrible mixability without using HUGE amounts of liquid. If you're after a good MRP and this isn't a big deal to you then there's no reason you shouldn't at least try it if you can afford it.