Luna Bar Reviews

By: Clif

Energy Supplements > Bars
Luna Bar is an Energy Bar manufactured by Clif. It helps fuel your body by providing extra calories to increase muscle performance and endurance.

Overall
Overall
  March 14, 2018

Hello all, I am a 45 year old guy. Who is trying to stay fit, while still trying to get fitter? I have 2 teenage kids, a dog and a wife. I work from home so I am the transportation guy, cook, grocery getter, etc..... I decided to pick these up, as I was shopping and they looked tasty. Currently I am running a mix of beach body programs (mainly Insanity) and am still trying to cut weight. I figured these would be something that I could stick in my jacket in case I got the munchies.

The ingredients are a little different for each bar. The main one I will break down is the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.

Total Fat: 5g (3.5g Saturated)
Total Carb: 21g
Dietary fiber: 3g
Sugars: 14g
Other Carb:4g
Protein: 12g

Ok, so not the "best" profile in the world. Still better than a snickers bar though right? Here are my issues. I have read that a male should try and limit sugar to 26g's per day, and this little bar has 14. That is way too much, still less than a candy bar but no where near a Quest bar (1g of sugar). I also think they should up the fiber, 3g's is kind of an after thought in my opinion. I like the bars that have 12+ grams of fiber as they help me feel fuller longer. I would also like to no what an "other carb" is, as I do like to know what I am putting in my body. Lastly the protein comes from Soy Protein Isolate. I must admit its the first Soy product that I couldn't tell was soy. Some people say you should not have soy, I guess I really don't care for me personally. Like I say, this is a supplement, use it accordingly.

Also to note, they have a "protein" and a normal Luna bar. The protein ones seem to have more protein and more sugar. Not really sure why the added sugar but when you see them that is the difference I found.

----Taste/Mix-ability/Dosing----

The taste of the bars I tried where all good. Very sugary for me as each one has between 13 and 15g's of sugar. They have a slightly chewy texture with a little chocolate coating.

There is no mix-ability to this as it is a pre-made bar.

I used this as a fill in for snack time. Which makes dosing pretty simple. All you do is take it out of the wrapper and eat it. Doesn't really get much simpler than that now does it.

This is a protein bar. This should be used to add a little healthier option to snack time. At least that is what I was using it for. I have a 13 and 15 year old and am always on the run. Sometimes I don't want to bring a shake with me. These work well as they are very portable. I had no stomach issues with them either. These bars didn't fill me up as much as some of the bigger bars I've had. Such as Quest and RCCS protein bars. Considering they are smaller I didn't really think they would.

So I bought this particular box for $5.79 for a box of 6 at my local Hyvee grocery store. I happened to be at the store and bought them. However in looking at prices today I found. (3/14/2018)

Target has them for $4.99 a box.

Walmart has them for $5.78

I also found some 12 count packages for $10.29.

My feeling is yes, they are cheaper than a typical protein bar. They don't have the protein of a "normal" bar either. So I am putting the value at a 7. If you don't mind sugar they are still better than a candy bar and seem to be widely available. I just wish the make up of the bar was better.

Side Effects

Annoyingly sweet taste for me. Please take into account that I am working on taking sugar out of my diet so my tastebuds have adjusted pretty well. So now when I get sugar it's really sweet.

Conclusion

For me this is a Meh, if I couldn't find anything else to eat I wouldn't turn it down. However I also wouldn't purchase them for myself. They are too sugary. Honestly even my daughter wasn't a fan of them. She has her momma's sweet tooth so I was a little surprised, but what can you do. I would think that if you are just starting out and trying to drop your candy habit, these might be that step down you need. They are better than a candy bar after all. Me myself, I will stick to my Quest bars.
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: 7/10
  • Chocolate Peanut Butter: 7/10
  • Mint Chocolate Chip: 7/10
  • Chocolate Salted Carmel: 7/10

• dmf8625
    March 14, 2018

It's interesting that I believe these are marketed more towards the female demographic but the sugar is higher than the protein. Guess it's more of an energy bar vs protein bar.

• Wis3guy
    March 14, 2018

Yeah, I thought it funny, but sugar now makes me want to nap........