(Better than 8% in Protein > Protein Bars)

PRICES (7)

(12 ct) - [$1.66/ct]

A1Supplements

(12 ct) - [$1.97/ct]

Muscle and Strength

Builders Bar is a Protein Bar manufactured by Clif. It is a quick, conveinient source of protein and commonly used as a meal replacement. The additional protein can help increase muscle mass as well as promote fat loss.

Protein > Protein Bars

March 30, 2017

• Candy Bar

Hello, 39 year old gym rat here trying to get a little bulked up for the summer. Every time I stopped by Sam's club to look at protein powders I see these bars staring at me and begging me to get some ... So me being weak I purchased a sample pack of Clif Builder's protein bars. After I finished it I decided that the Chocolate Mint was my favorite and bought another pack through Amazon.

This ingredient profile is based on the chocolate mint flavor ... it might vary from flavor to flavor.

Total Fat: 9g
Saturated Fat: 6g
Sodium: 200mg
Potassium: 190mg
Total Carbohydrates: 29 g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Insoluble Fiber 2g
Sugars 22g

The two ingredients they use for sugar is Brown Rice Syrup and Dried Cane Syrup. What's funny is that the bar says that it is low glycemic but what researchers say about Brown rice syrup is that "According to the Sydney University GI database, Rice Syrup has a glycemic index of 98, which is extremely high". So, I'm kind of perplexed why Cliff is stating that this bar is low glycemic ...

Other Carbs 5g

Protein 20g

Protein is sourced primarily from Soy Protein Isolate.

There are few Vitamins and Minerals
Vitamin C, E, B1, A, B3, B5, B2, B6, D, B12, Potassium, Calcium and Magnesium.

In all honesty if it wasn't for the taste I'm not a big fan of this product. It feels more like a candy bar with protein than anything else.

One little addition I should mention is that this bar contains beet juice concentrate ... and those that are big on NO know what it does ... I'm not sure how much of it is in the protein bar but I personally welcome this addition.

I personally enjoyed the Chocolate Mint flavor the most. It's really tasty and easy to consume. Almost like a candy bar but with a shot of protein.

It does help me stay full for a while while I'm out and about and don't have the time to eat. When I started eating them I usually had one for brunch but than I realized how many calories and sugar I was taking in, therefore I came to a conclusion that it's not the best substitute for real food. It does help when you are really hungry and you don't have time to get anything else worth while. I guess maybe this bar can also be used as a reward system if you did good and wanted to treat yourself.

I found these on amazon at a price of 8 dollars for 6 bars comes out to 1.33 per bar. I think you can get it cheaper at Sams club but than you have to get the other flavors. It seems even if you get 12 for 16$ at Walmart it will still come down to 1.33 a bar. Compared to other bars this is a real good price. I'm not sure about the value though. Even when it is that less expensive from it's competitors is there value for me paying that for sugar and calories? I still think it's a good offer so I valued this product high if you are looking for a Vegan alternative.

Side Effects

I didn't experience anything out of ordinary after eating these bars.

Conclusion

I like this bar for the taste but I'm not very hyped about the ingredients profile. I'm not big on Soy and I'm not vegan so there is no benefit there for me personally. Let me quickly share why ... Soy protein is pretty much cheap ... maybe that is why the protein bar is cheaper than others ... Soy protein also inhibits absorption of other supplements so another drawback ... and lastly the process is terrible (metal contamination or pesticide) ... The carbs and sugar are way to high for me to fully enjoy the bar without feeling guilty. I'm probably going to have to look for another alternative since I do want to look good for the summer.
  • Chocolate Mint: 10/10

Other Prices:
AllStarHealth   $16.99
A1Supplements   $19.95
Muscle and Strength   $23.62

June 20, 2011

• Great Mid-day Snack
    So I picked up some of the Clif Builder's Bars along with my usual Met-Rx bars this previous weekend. To say the least these are awesome! If I was to give a supplement a 10, this one would make the list. But unless something just blows me away, I don't give anything a 10. That's why this got a 9 overall.

First the taste...out of this world. I have had the mint chocolate as well as the cookies and cream and both tasted fantastic. The texture was good too, not grainy and not a big ol' hunk of chewy mess.

The ingredients...all natural/organic, enough said.

Nutrition facts...20g of protein per bar is a little low for me, but still a good amount. 30g of carbs per bar isn't too bad, but for those on a cut may be a little too much. As far as fat content...8g/bar which isn't bad at all.

Value...I got these bars for $2.00 each which is still pretty good. The thing that I would have liked to have seen was a bulk box of these. I'm sure that they have them, my grocery store may not carry them.

Overall this is a fantastic tasting bar that is all organic. No corn syrup b.s., just straight up great ingredients. If you have a chance to pick up some of these, I would definitely do it, you won't be disappointed..at all!

Other Prices:
    AllStarHealth   $16.99
    A1Supplements   $19.95
    Muscle and Strength   $23.62

April 5, 2011

• Good Amount Of Protein For Light-weight People
    • Too Much Sugar
    Before this product I had only tried Power Bar's Power Plus, and I find Clif Bar's Buildar's Bar to be the best all around.

Taste: As someone who is very particular about the taste and texture about protein bars and other health bars in general, I find myself happily satisfied with these. (Avoid the chocolate flavor, I prefer Cookies & Cream or Peanut Butter.) The natural ingredients are a plus for me, although I do find the 20 grams of sugar a bit high. It however, does not fill me up and is not a good meal replacement. But in my case that's not something I'm worried about.

Effectiveness: I typically eat this bar with my lunch or between lunch and my workout, and some pre-bedtime protein. It gives me a fair, though not substantial, amount of energy. At 20 grams of Protein it may not be high enough for the typical body builder or smaller person looking to add mass, but for someone like me who's wanting added protein throughout the day without overloading on carbs and calories, this is perfect.

Value: At just under $8 a box for a pack of 6, the pricing on this sits at an "okay" level for me. It's worth it knowing the reputation of the company and their natural ingredients.

Overall I love this product, it may not be perfect for everyone out there but if you're in the same boat as me it works, and works well. I'll be buying these regularly.

That's about it and I hope my review was helpful!

March 9, 2011

• Great Mid-day Snack
    • Too Much Empty Calories
    So I'm currently bulking and I work a ton of hours and this makes for a great mid-day or mid-morning snack.

Taste 8/10
    I love the cookies n cream and mint chocolate. they do have other flavors so you can find your favorite.The only problem is it leaves a numb feeling in your mouth after and a chalk like after taste.

Value 8/10
    Clif is a very well known company and you can find them just about anywhere that sells health foods. For one bar its between 1.50-2.50 and for a box of 6 you can get them for around 7.95.They fit into just about everyones budget on a bulk diet.The only down side is there are other brands that do the same thing slightly cheaper so you pay more for the reputation of the company.

Ingredients7/10
    This is clifs only down fall in my personal opinion. The builder bar seems to have a lot of empty calories you might feel hungery an hour or so later.Also it is very high in sugar content a 20G.It does have 20G of protein witch on a bulk diet is great for those times in need of a quick protein fix.I would compare the content in the Clif bar to the like of the EAS Myoplex or the snickers marathon bar.

Overall 8/10
    The Clif Builders Bar is a decent protein snack and by no means should be used as a Meal Replacement bar.The cost is pretty cheap compared to other protein snacks in its catagory.I will continue to use Clif Builders Bars on a bulk diet, but may think of a different bar when cutting.

December 19, 2010

• Moderately Healthy Treat To Have Once In A While
    • Convenient Meal Replacement For Someone On The Go All The Time
    • Good Amount Of Protein For Light-weight People
    • Too Much Fat
    • Too Much Empty Calories
    • How Is It Low Glycemic When There Is 20g Of Sugar?
    Alright so its been awhile since Ive done a supplement review since I've pretty much stopped using supplements other then whey protein powder(which technically is food). I've had several of these bars in the past and recently bought a whole box of em to add variety to my diet and prevent me from binging. Theres 20g of protein in one of these things which is enough for someone like me who doesnt weigh that much, but I'd imagine someone really heavy would find that theres not enough protein in these. The taste is fantastic and it really has a candy bar flavor to it, its also nice to know that the ingredients lean towards the organic side as opposed to using artificial flavors and chemicals like other protein bars(Big 100). The bar is also nicely sized making more satifying to eat then some other bars that I come off as bite sized snacks more then a real protein bar. Now that Im done giving out the positives I will now focus on the negatives. The calories round out at 270 calories per bar which is sort of alot, especially for someone my weight who has a overall lower TDEE. The fat content is moderately high to being at 8 grams per bar. The sugar and carb content is also high, with there being 20 grams of sugar and 30 grams of carbs. The back of the box says low glycemic, but Im not sure how something can be low glycemic when there is 20 grams of sugar in it! This is definately not a bar you use when you are losing weight and getting rid of fat. If you are strictly trying to gain muscle then maybe it would be ok to have one of these while your busy at work or school or traveling and just cant eat a regular meal, OR if you just want to treat yourself with purpose(providing protein for recovery) then having these could be useful especially if your a big guy who can take in alot of calories without it all going to the gut. Definately would not recommend this to anyone trying to lose weight, or lose weight and gain muscle at the same time as there is alot of empty calories. Its more of a moderately healthy treat and way of supressing your cravings then a useful addition to your diet. You can eat 2 cups of mixed vegetables and 3/4 cups of egg whites, get the same amount of calories and protein while getting in much more fiber to keep yourself full and much needed vitamins and minerals to nourish your body.

April 14, 2010

Cons:
      As of lately I've been trying to eat more organic. These bars are all organic and have fairly high protein and fiber. The calories are low (270) and only 8 grams of fat. To top it off they taste great. I have yet to have a flavor I don't like. A lot of times I feel icky or sluggish after eating a protein bar but with these I feel pretty good after eating them. These bars are sold in most grocery stores so they sre easy to find.