Tier 1 Reviews

By: Citadel Nutrition

FORUM TOPICS

Tier 1 is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Citadel Nutrition. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

Overall
Overall
9.5
9.5
  January 9, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Clean Energy
  • High Quality Ingredients
  • Excellent Taste/mixability

I am currently a senior full-time nursing student focusing on gaining strength. I follow a power-lifting style training program and have been working out consistently for the past few years. I'm currently in a caloric surplus in an effort to put on some muscle and increase my three big lifts. I've gone through about 2 or 3 tubs of Tier 1, all purchased directly from Citadel Nutrition. I don't take many supplements other than a protein powder, multivitamin, and preworkout. I have a lot of respect for supplementreviews.com and would like to offer my opinion on this great supplement.

9.5/10
    This is what sold me Tier 1. The label discloses all ingredients and their respective dosages. The amount of ingredients included in Tier 1 are evidence-based, clinically-dosed amounts of each ingredient. This means per scoop, you are getting the maximum benefit of each ingredients. Other preworkout supplements I have taken may only include half the clinical dose or lower. In order to reap the maximum benefit, one would need to take multiple scoops (of other preworkouts). Tier 1 includes 5g of Creatine Monohydrate (Creapure), 3.2g of Beta-Alanine (Carnosyn), 3g of L-Tyrosine (USP sourced), and 200mg of Caffeine (USP sourced). These are basic ingredients that are scientifically researched to promote performance in the gym.

Tier 1 offers a very light, lemon taste. It tastes like a slightly-watered down version of lemonade Crystal Lite. For me, this is fine. I'm not huge into chemically-tasting crazy flavors. In the end, it's the effectiveness of the product I'm most concerned about. The dosing is pretty standard for a tub of preworkout. Each tub contains 30 servings. Each serving is 1 scoop. Lastly, Tier 1 mixes great. Just a few shakes and you're left with a perfectly mixed drink with no clumps.

Tier 1 simply works. 200mg of caffeine is more than enough to give me a kick, but not feel overly "stimmed" out. The L-Tyrosine provides a nice focus. While the Beta-Alanine and Creatine Monohydrate do not provide any immediate benefits, I like that they are included in Tier 1. It removes the requirement to take these supplements individually- and they are both proven to increase performance when taking them over a period of time in their effective doses. My workouts feel noticeably different when taking Tier 1 compared with other preworkouts. I feel clean, sustained energy that allows me to complete my workout without feeling sick to my stomach or "stimmed" out.

A tub of Tier 1 runs for $29.99 + shipping from Citadel Nutrition. This is about the standard price of a 30-serving tub of preworkout. I'm rating it 9/10 because unlike other preworkouts, you're actually getting the maximum benefit of each ingredient per scoop. With other preworkouts, you would need to consume 2-3 scoops to get the benefit- causing you to go through each tub faster and spend more money.

Side Effects

I've experienced no side effects with Tier 1. No caffeine crash. If this is your first time taking a supplement with a clinical dose of Beta-Alanine, you might feel some mild tingling; however, this goes away as your body builds up tolerance for it.

Conclusion

9.5/10
    Because of the clinically effective ingredient doses, clean energy, and good price- I rate this product 9.5/10. It's my go-to preworkout. Ever since I have tried Tier 1, I won't use another preworkout supplement. On a side note, I would also like to add that I really appreciate Citadel Nutrition's business ethics. I enjoy that they freely disclose the amount of each ingredient in their preworkout and don't try to sell you something that has ridiculous claims. They pride themselves on selling a product that they believe in and is effective.

December 16, 2013

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Great Focus
    • Clean Energy
    • High Quality Ingredients
    • Excellent Taste
    • Sharp Focus
    • Value Could Be Better
    • Slight Stomach Cramps
    Tier 1 review finally coming out! I finished up my tub a few months ago and I have got to say I was not the least bit disappointed! I used their old formula of Tier 1 back during the summer of 2012 so I will be doing a little bit of comparing and contrasting throughout this review.

Ingredients: 9/10:
    These are the BEST ingredients for somebody who is not familiar with the pre-workout scene. It's a super simple yet completely efficient profile. Creapure, Beta-Alanine, L-tyrisone, and Caffeine; pretty much all that is needed to get hooked on pre-workouts. My only complaint has to do with the HUGE scooper. I mean, of course with 5g of Creapure I should have expected the large scooper, but I work out at 5 am pretty much every day, and my stomach has a hard time chugging anything that early in the morning. The L-tyrisone was by far my favorite additive, as it helped with any kind of caffeine jitters I may have potentially experienced. Altogether great overall package.

Taste: 9/10
    Loved the taste! Usually lemonade is too sour for me, but with enough water it really wasn't half bad. I can't complain!

Mixability: 7/10
    Because the scooper was so large, you have to use a lot of water to prevent any clumping on the bottom. My first couple of times using it I made the mistake of not using much water, and the last gulp was pretty sour/bitter. As I mentioned in the ingredients section, I'm not too fond of using so much water so early in the morning but it was better than drinking those clumps at the bottom.

Effectiveness: 8.5/10:
    If I was not such a stim junkie, I probably would have rated this pre a 9.5/10. Their original formula was the first pre-workout I had ever used, and I remember how awesome it was from start to finish. I pretty much intake caffeine every single day, and it has been quite some time since my last break off stims, so I believe that influenced my evaluation of this product. At first, it felt just like the last time I used Tier; super clean energy for my entire hour and a half workout. I was using this during a particularly stressful period of school, and it definitely helped get through some difficult study sessions and essay writing. I also experienced quality focus during and after workouts. Tier was the first pre I used after taking a six week break from working out due to gallbladder removal surgery. I do believe it helped me make some strength gains due to the Creapure and Beta-A, and get back to where I was before surgery, which was exactly what I was looking for.

I occasionally would get mild stomach cramps from taking Tier, however, I typically blame myself for not drinking enough water, drinking too much caffeine (too much coffee), or it could have possibly been the Creapure. About half way through the tub the effects were not as strong as they first presented themselves, and I do contribute this to my intake of other sources of caffeine. I was using one scoop for the majority of the tub, but when the effects started to diminish I upped the dose to about one scoop and a half with positive results.

Value: 7.5/10
    Tier is not that widely available, as other reviews have pointed out, and I also thought it was a bit pricey (roughly $30). Once Citadel Nutrition becomes a more familiar company (and I do believe they will) I think these issues will solve themselves.

I would HIGHLY recommend this to anybody who is interested in trying a pre-workout for the first time. It does not have anything crazy or unheard of in it's ingredient profile, so it is a great way to feel out the ingredients that are typically found in other pre-workouts. I would also suggest Tier for anybody who is stim sensitive. I have a friend who can barely drink a cup of coffee without bouncing off the walls, and she loved Tier after I gave her a scoop to try out. Another bonus about buying Tier is the amazing customer service provided by Citadel Nutrition. I have absolutely zero complaints about the company, and have always felt completely comfortable ordering from them despite Citadel being a relatively new and growing company. I will definitely buy this product again in the future!

September 5, 2013

Pros:
     Cons:
    • High Quality
    • Great Focus
    • Clean Energy
    • High Quality Ingredients
    • Balanced Effects
    • Excellent Taste/mixability
    • Smooth Taste
    • Smooth Energy
    Whats up guys. First of all a big thank you to Citadel Nutrition for the opportunity to give this a shot. I really enjoyed this product. Sorry for the late review, I had to wait until I was done using clen to actually use it. Timing was just difficult. On to the review.

Ingredients-9/10- I absolutely love the ingredient profile here. Its disclosed, and their are no fancy bells and whistles. Honestly, its so simple you could make it at home. I like that, because I know exactly what I'm getting, and just how much. For 1 scoop you get:
    5g of Creapure
    3.2g of carnosyn beta alanine
    3g of L-tyrisone
    200mg of Caffeine Anhydrous

And thats it! The scooper is huge too, which I'd imagine. Your getting a fairly hefty dose of everything. Creapure we obviously know the importance of so I wont really go into that. Same with Beta Alanine. I liked the use of L-tyrisone. Typically you see this as a ingredient in most sleep aids or anything related with stress. It helps to release dopamine into your system. For me it tends to give a very calm and enflated feel to my mood. The 200mg of caffeine is a nice addition as well. Their is nothing really cutting edge here, but thats okay. It works and works really well.

Taste/Mixability-8/10- I was quite surprised by the taste. Generally I stay away from anything related to lemonade flavors. Because you could get something really bad or really good. A lot like fruit punch companies either nail it or do terrible. This is probably one of the first lemonade flavors I've had that I really enjoyed. I think another reviewer mentioned this tasting like Country time Lemonade, and I have to agree. The smell of this is addicting too. When you open up the container you just get a huge wave of lemon rush through your nose. Awesome. It also mixes rather well even with such a big ingredient profile.

Effectiveness-8/10- For me this works, and it works great. Its good clean energy and solid performance every time you use it. You don't get that crack3d out feeling you get from some pres. While I do love the pres that give you a huge rush of energy, I never like the after effects. This does none of that. It gave me more of a clean focus/energy rather than a punch in the face. I prefer pre's like this. I felt like my workouts were more productive over all. Which I could attribute to the addition of creatine/beta alanine. The energy boost was just enough to get me in the gym and in the zone. The tingles were definitely noticeable right off the bat. I tend to not feel beta tingles until after a workout, but here I experienced them as soon as I hit the gym. Could speak a lot of volume for the quality of what your getting. I never felt like I needed to bump past a scoop either, which was nice. This was enough to get me "amped" for a set of dead lifts or squats and I didn't feel like I would have my heart blow out of my chest. Overall A solid and clean product.

Sides- No sides to speak of. Which is to be expected, its not stim heavy at all.

Value-9/10- Most places I've seen this your looking around 30 dollars for 30 scoops. Which is roughly a dollar a day. If you look at what your getting though, its actually a steal. If you were to buy all of those ingredients and try to make a pre like this you'd probably have a hard time getting in this price range. Citadel is still a small company, and even on their own company website your looking at the 30 dollar price tag. Its very affordable, and definitely worth the coin.

Overall-9/10- I feel between the ingredient profile and value a nine is more than fair and well deserved. I liked this so much I went out and purchased a second tub, just to keep around for when I want something clean that I wont crash on. If your a stim junkie, this probably won't be for you. But if you love performance, and a nice clean feeling while working out give Tier 1 a shot.

July 28, 2013

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Clean Energy
    • High Quality Ingredients
    • Excellent Taste/mixability
    • Smooth Taste
    • Smooth Energy
    • Value Could Be Better
    Thank you Citadel Nutrition and The ER program for letting me try this Great PWO!

Citadel Is not a household name like some others in the supplement world.. YET, .

I hate writing a review after so many others have hit on so many things on this product already as I do not want to sound like a copy machine but I will say it like it is.

Also one of the co-founders ( John McMahan ) Is a University of Tennessee Grad and Vols fan so I give them extra points for that!

Ingredients 9.5
    No BS here. Grade A Ingredients
    It has the proper dose of each one for each and every scoop. Others have listed and hit on what ingredient does what so I will let you skim down and see what they are in this for.
    Creapure Creatine
    Beta-Alanine from Carnosyn
    Caffeine and Tyrosine are USP grade.

Like lava mentioned this will not make you run through walls but it delivers very smooth clean focus and I never had a crash or issues sleeping.

Taste 10
    What can I say, this is not a huge issue but this stuff was actually addictive to drink. I mean what country boy does not like country time Lemonade?!

Mixability 10
    Again Best mixing stuff I have tried. No matter the small amount of water used , a few hard shakes and it was mixed!. No floaters, nothing sinking. Just mixed!

Effectiveness.8 -9
    Now with one scoop It was just normal. A small pick me up. Just by adding about 1/2 another scoop it was perfect for me. I weigh 255 . I played with 2 scoops on occasion but about the only I noticed was a bit more beta alanine tingle and maybe a bit of a small rush. But 1.5 was the spot for me.
    I never felt like I could leap to the gym in a single bound but I felt like I was going to go and really hit my muscles the way I needed.

Also I never had a crash like some tend to give me at times. It never upset my stomach either. I honestly never had one bad side from this PWO.

Value 8
    Now. Its not bad but It could get expensive when running a stack of other stuff. I have not seen many sells on this ( nor have I been looking either ). But it sells on their site for 29.99 So for 30 bucks you get a 30 serving container. So a dollar a serving more or less. But like me I took 1.5 scoops so that gives me 20 workouts on most cases. So the price can really jump up.

I do need to say that although It says 30 servings It did seem to last a bit longer than that though.

Overall 9
    Taste great and mixes better than anything. Great honest ingredients and its not some cheap filler crap either. A decent value, ( nor worse Nor better than most on market ) and I had some of the best focused workouts while on this too. Thanks Citadel! GO VOLS.

April 28, 2013

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Clean Energy
    • High Quality Ingredients
    • Balanced Effects
    • Excellent Taste/mixability
    • No Semi-nekkid Models
    I will start this review off by saying that I consider Daniel Yeh a friend and that I've used Tier 1 before Citadel Nutrition came to SR and way before I became an ER. So I am probably more than a little biased since the reason that Daniel and I became friends was that I heard of these two crazy guys (Daniel Yeh and John McMahan) that wanted to start producing honest and effective sports supplements without the hype. So I sent Daniel an email and we've continued the dialogue ever since.

Formula: 9/10
    Many people judge formulas by the size of their ingredient list and it seems that the more novel/esoteric/unknown the ingredients are, the better. I've read labels that have about 15 ingredients and then I look at the scoop size and it's like 3 grams. So what does it matter what a product contains if it's provided in insignificant doses ; let alone the questionable effectiveness of some of the ingredients proved in any dose. And of course, these same companies usually rely on the good old "proprietary blend" to make it even more difficult to gain any insight into the product formula.

You won't get that with Tier 1. The formula is simple and honest and the ingredients are provided in clinically accepted dosages. Citadel Nutrition made a conscious business decision to source the highest quality ingredients in effective amounts so they chose 5g of Creapureâ„¢ creatine monohydrate instead of some cheap Chinese creatine, 3.2g of Carnosyn â„¢ Beta-Alanine followed by USP grade 2g of L-tyrosine and 200mg caffeine.

This is not a formula meant to "wire you for sound" or produce "mind blowing, skin-tearing pumps". It is not a formula that will help you rep out curls in the squat rack while jamming on your Beats headphones. CN leaves that to the other guys. However, it is a formula that is designed to provide real-world performance boosts for your training.

Taste & Mixing: 10/10
    I love the taste of this stuff. It's like really good Country Time lemonade flavor. My gf uses Tier 1 as well, although she thinks I'm a little bit over the top on how much I praise the flavor every time I take it. Anyway, it's a pwo, so really flavor is just kind of irrelevant but I do think making it tasty is always a nice touch. I also personally like it when a pwo goes into solution consistently and I've never had any residue issues with Tier 1.

Pre-workouts can provide a pretty wide range of experiences for different people. For me, Tier 1 provides ultra clean and smooth energy with absolutely no jitters or crash. Some people really like to get geeked out before they lift, but I do not. However, I lift at 0500 so I need something that is strong enough to wake me up and get me ready and Tier 1 does that.

I agree with Cole that there are other pwo's out there such as Muscle Marinade that pack a bigger punch, but I've found myself moving away from those products that really give me a synthetic type of feel, instead opting for products that complement/augment my training.

Caffeine, creatine, beta Alanine, tyrosine – all of their benefits are well documented and backed up by numerous studies and you can go to the Citadel Nutrition website if you want to read them as they've provided all the links. So I'm not going to duplicate their work, instead, I'll just say that I feel that Tier 1 provides me with greater endurance throughout my training session and helps me to maintain my strength gains. I don't care about pumps and focus isn't something that I lack, so performance is all that I care about and Tier 1 has got that covered. My goal is to be able to hit my numbers on every rep of every set, nothing more, nothing less, and I get that with Tier 1.

This is the only area that I feel CN has a disadvantage. They are a small company and all of the things that I love about them – honesty, simplicity, purity, commitment to quality, results in the stark truth that their products are going to be a bit more expensive due to economies of scale.

However, I will share that Tier 1 was out of stock because the company producing the new formula did not meet CN's stringent requirements for no flow agents or fillers and wouldn't give them 100% transparency in the process. So what did CN do – they bit the bullet, lost their deposit, and found a company that would do what CN does: say what you do and do what you say. Not only was that money that they lost but months of no cash flowing in. That's the kind of commitment to quality that I want to see from anyone I do business with. So poor value? Well there's a lot of things that you don't even know about.....

I am not small and body weight comes in around 250, yet 1 scoop provides everything that I need to make it through a training session. My gf is right around 100 pounds and she uses half a scoop. That makes the serving price for me right at a $1.00 and around .50 cents for me gf. Now for me personally that's well worth it. If you are a stim-junkie and need to take 2 scoops to get your fix, well then the value plummets and I would just go with something like Muscle Marinade or VPX Friction that's got 400g of caffeine.

Like I said in the opening, I'm biased. I love small companies that want to make a commitment to providing people like you and me supplements that actually make a difference in our training. But to do that takes balls and perhaps a minor mental defect (jk), because the norm in this industry is hype, hype and then more hype. So you can hire a fitness model and paste outrageous claims all over the place and make a ton of money feeding on people's needs, or you can do it the right way by first bringing a quality product to market and then build a following one customer at a time.
    I've got zero problems recommending this to anyone who asks.

November 29, 2012

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Great Focus
    • Clean Energy
    • High Quality Ingredients
    • Balanced Effects
    This review has been a long time coming, & I'm more than eager to get it out there. So, without further ado...

Special thanks to Daniel from Citadel Nutrition for extending this offer to the Expert Reviewers & for what he & Citadel Nutrition have done. The hand written note accompanying Tier 1 was an especially nice touch.

Tier 1 is (as far as I know) Citadel Nutrition's flagship product. It's labeled as the "Essential Pre-workout."

PROFILE: A+

It's a very simple profile built upon quality ingredients at the appropriate dose. Most of the ingredients are the trademarked variants Creapureâ„¢ (creatine monohydrate), Ajipure® (L-tyrosine), & Carnosyn® (Beta Alanine). One serving (1scoop) will get you 3g, 2g, 2g, of each respectively, as well as 200mg of caffeine. Rounding out the profile are various B-Vitamins.

Altogether there is only 7 total ingredients, very different from most comparable products out there...even some "ultra concentrated" ones. This profile is geared more towards energy output & performance, not pumps as you can see.

I really like this profile for two main reasons: simplicity & transparency. It's not a barrage of Ultra-Mega Muscle Building PR-Genocide Matrixes, but much rather ingredients we've all seen & know that work. In addition, they're appropriately dosed so you don't have to double/triple up on servings just to get the ideal amount of ingredients. As far as I'm concerned, it's wins across the board.

MIXABILITY & TASTE: A

Tier mixes rather well, although at two scoops you will experience some settling. Nothing major though, & nothing a quick swish of the cup can't solve.

Apparently the flavour is a lemon flavour, but I had a hard time getting it. Initially I thought it was fruit punch type flavour, but it definitely falls into the lemon category. It's by no means overpowering, & quite nice to drink.

EFFECTIVENESS: A
    I took awhile getting through the tub of Tier 1 for a couple reasons. The first was the amount of pre-workout supplements I had on hand. Very quickly I found myself with 4-5 tubs of different pre-workouts, all of which I needed to review. However, this presented an opportunity to see how they compared to each other. I did just that, & now all I have left is 2 tubs that are more than halfway through. Despite the amount of products on hand, Tier 1 stood out for all the right reasons.

I really liked how well Tier 1 worked. The energy was top notch, never jittery, & it lasted a good while. At one scoop the energy was more than adequate to get me through any workout. It wasn't mind blowing on any level, but it faired much better than one scoop of most other pre-workouts. I also noticed a nice niacin flush the first time I took this. However, since then it settled down & it wasn't as intense throughout the rest of the tub. At two scoops Tier 1 performed quite admirably. The energy was much better, & it lasted much longer as well. Dosed either way, Tier 1 worked well for both cardio & lifting due in large to the absence of pumps. I didn't quite know how to approach that aspect of Tier 1 initially, but it proved an advantage IMO. For cardio, pumps become somewhat the enemy as they become more troublesome than they're worth.

The only real issue I ever had was taking Tier 1 in the PM. On several occasions when I took this for my Martial Arts, I had a very hard time falling a sleep. I never took more than one scoop though, so that caught me completely off guard. Other than that & some slight flushing, no real side effects.

While I don't feel Tier 1 provided the absolute best energy (Muscle Marinade holds that spot), it was most definitely the cleanest & one of the longest lasting.

VALUE: C

Despite the fact Tier 1 is only available from Citadel Nutrition themselves; the price is about par for the course & competitive IMO. $25 for 30 servings isn't bad, but it's not great either. Once you double up the servings, the value dips quite a bit.

However, I feel Tier 1 falls into a "you get what you pay for" category. The value is on the high side, but the ingredients are high quality & dosed correctly. So, it all really depends on how you look at it.

OVERALL: A

I really enjoyed my run with Tier 1. I don't think Tier 1 would stand up to something like Muscle Marinade, but it fairs much better than most of the pre-workout supplements out there. The value can be rough, but I feel it's worth every penny.

This product deserves a try at the very least, & unless you're an absolute stimulant junkie I don't think you'll be disappointed in the least bit.

October 24, 2012

Pros:
     Cons:
    • High Quality
    • Great Focus
    • Clean Energy
    • High Quality Ingredients
    • Balanced Effects
    • Excellent Taste/mixability
    • Value Could Be Better
    This is my first Citadel Nutrition product to try, possibly because it's their only product for those of you not paying attention. It was receiving a lot of hype/press on SR so I had to give it a shot. Just like many of the well detailed reviews on this product state, I was not disappointed!

Taste 8/10

Since this is the least important part of a supplement, or so we claim, I'll start here. I think this may only come in lemon flavor. To be honest with you, I look at my container and it doesn't even have a flavor listed! However, the taste was a little on the weak side but not bad. It reminded me of one of those pre-flavored bottle waters where you can taste it but not strongly. It's not as powerful tasting as SP250 or Assault for instance but it is definitely not a bad taste to not have all the fillers that are in those to make them taste good. I'd rather have this "weaker" taste than I would to drink all the artificial flavoring of some of the others.

Profile 10/10

Niacin: 30mg
    Vitamin B6: 40mg
    Vitamin B12: 500mcg
    Creapure: 3g
    L-Tyrosine 3g
    Beta Alanine 2g
    Caffeine Anhydrous 200 mg

That's it? There's no SOOPER DOOPER BUZZ PUMP ENHANCERTM ? No, that is it plain and simple. No fancy names, blends, or coloring. It's a white powder with a hint of lemon. You know what you are getting in each scoop. A lot of companies would just put SDBPE 8200mg. I'm not one who complains a lot about proprietary blends because I understand some companies want to protect their "research". It is very nice to see the product laid out there like this however.

Dosing 10/10

As with most PWOs, it's one scoop 30 minutes pre. I started out this way but then increased it to 2. The day after I increased it to 2, I had an email from the company suggesting I try to increase it to 2 based on my BW. I told them I already had and saw much better results that way. It was nice getting a follow-up email about a product.

Effectiveness 8/10

I did get a little energy and focus from the 2 scoop but it was nothing worth talking about like some of the reviews had mentioned. Once I went to 2 scoops, I couldn't wait to get to the gym. I take my PWO about 35 minutes before I get to the gym. I drink it when I leave work on the way to the gym. About 10 minutes away from the gym, I was feeling it on two scoops.

I don't normally get the beta tingles anymore. In fact, I can't tell you the last time I did. I do not supplement the BA on top of what is already in my PWOs. At two scoops however, I could feel the tingles. Maybe I hadn't had much BA lately but I'm not really sure. The first day on 2 scoops, when the tingles hit, all I could do was smile. Now granted, at 2 scoops a day I got around 12 more days out of the container but I felt it every time.

Energy was not jittery for me at 400mg of caffeine. It was pretty clear and sustainable. It would last my whole workout which is normally between 60-75 minutes. I did not have problems sleeping while using this product. I took it around 1500 and went to bed around 2100. I wouldn't call the focus "tunnel vision" but my mind pretty much stayed on task and going from station to station was all I thought about.

As far as the nausea, I always make sure I have a protein bar in my stomach 30 minutes before PWO so no issues there.

Value 6.5/10

Here's the hard part since you can only buy it from them. At my dosing, $2 a workout seems a little high. If you can get by with just one scoop, $1 a workout is still a little high. It is pretty close to Assault in price and not too far off Jack3d Micro. If it works, you like it then what difference would 30 cents or so a workout make.

Overall 8/10

I do recommend this product to the SR community. The price is a hair bit more than some of the popular PWOs on here but it's not that much of a difference. I was pleased with 2 scoops at 250-260#. Good clean energy, focus, and tingles. Give it a shot and support a newer company. Maybe they'll bring out some more quality products soon! Thank you!

October 13, 2012

Pros:
     Cons:
    • High Quality
    • Great Focus
    • Clean Energy
    • High Quality Ingredients
    • Excellent Taste/mixability
    Tier 1 from Citadel Nutrition is up for review. Big thanks to Citadel and Daniel for letting me try this product. In addition, it is worth nothing that a hand written letter accompanied the product to describe the ingredients, effectiveness and their appreciation. In a day in age where form printed letters and auto signatures, this was a class act.

How i ran it: 1.25 - 1.30 scoops 20 minutes prior to workout on an empty stomach. I did have BCAAs intra workout and I did stack this preworkout with Gatorade powder.

My Routine: As many of you know my routines are based on supersets, dropsets and monstersets. Many mass to shred supersets are my niche.

Profile 8.75: Tier1 advertises their product as effective doses and proven ingredients. Other than the B6/B12 vitamins there are only 4 active ingredients. Creapure, Tyrosine, Beta Alanine and Caffeine. The dosages are all at highly effective dosages (per scoop) 3 grams of creapure, 3 grams of tyrosine, 2 grams of beta alanine and 200mg of caffeine. Additionally, all of these ingredients are from solid distributors including CREAPURE, CARNOSYN, and AJIPURE. With 30 serving per container, this will last you a solid month if you dose betwen 1 and 1.25 scoops. Anything more is too over powering in my opinion with the stimulants. It advertises only 200mg of caffeine, but with the high dose of Tyrosine and the pureness of the ingredients this felt much stronger than typical preworkouts. An independent third party lab test report accompanied the product verifying the ingredients and the dosages. Simply put, this is not a pixie dust or micro dosing approach.

The only ingredient(s) I believe would improve the product would be the inclusion of BCAAs at an effective dosage. 5 to 7 grams of BCAAs at a 2:1:1 ratio would set this apart from the field even more, as I am an advocate of taking BCAAs preworkout.

Effectiveness 8.5: Again, the simple fully disclosed profile does deliver. This is one of the strongest stimulant based pre workouts that I have ever taken. It is not as strong as muscle marinade, but it is fairly close. I have to attribute the energy levels to the pureness of the ingredients and the synergistic effect of the L-Tyrosine and the caffeine. At 1.25 scoops I was getting roughly 260mg of caffeine and about 4g of L-Tyrosine. This provided a solid stream of consistent clean energy that lasted throughout the entire workout. I did not experience any crashing afterwards, which in my opinion is a big plus.

As far as the other ingredients (creapure and beta alanine), I did get a flushed and tingled feeling from the Beta Alanine which was expected. The creatine is solid and having CREAPURE at an effective dosage preworkout is a welcome change, rather than a pixie dust approach.

No pump/vasodilators are included in this product, so there was no "additional" pump.

Taste N/A: You know I don't judge preworkouts on taste. In my opinion all pres taste the same. Although, this tasted smooth, colorless and a a good refreshing lemonade type flavor. No added dyes is a nice exclusion to limit unnecessary ingredients.

Value 8.0: At roughly 25.00 plus shipping ($5) on Citidal Nutrition's website, this is priced in the middle of the market. Fair pricing for sure. Given the yield of servings was roughly 23 servings.

Conclusion: More and more companies are adopting more simpler, cleaner (even fully disclosed) profiles. This is about a simple and fully disclosed as it gets. The ingredients are proven, the doses are effective. This will provide solid energy without having to significantly increase the number of scoops. The clean profile with very few fillers is great.

Tier1 gets the bladeski seal of approval!

September 30, 2012

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Clean Energy
    • High Quality Ingredients
    • Balanced Effects
    • Excellent Taste/mixability
    • Value Could Be Better
    Pre-workout... man I think there are more different type of PWO than any other supplement in the world. We are just floaded with them, to the point that everytime we see a new one we don't even get excited about the hype. Even though I felt this way about Tier 1, the effects and results I got from it gives me a little hope that not all supplement companies think their customers are silly meatheads with no education.

Profile (10/10)

Tier 1 is a very simple PWO, nothing outstanding in the terms of ingredients. Therre are no funny named "exotic" ingredients or plain simple herbs written as if they were some type of strong chemical.What makes this one different from every single PWO out there is that it discloses the exact amount of all the ingredients in it; in addition, it has the correct amounts that you need of each ingredient to be effective. The only other one that does this is Muscle Marinade by Purus labs. If you want to know the ingredient profile... well, Google was invented for a reason ;)

Effectiveness(8/10): this is not your "super-energized" type of PWO, its geared towards effectiveness of all ingredients than anything else. It has 200mg of caffeine in it, on the low end compared to most PWO today. It does not have any other stimulants in it. Nonetheless, the energy that you get from this is very clean; it almost feels "natural" like in the sense that you have no feeling of "stimulation" with Tier 1. The endurance aspect is great and I started noticing more consisten strength on compound lifts with Tier 1. I attribute this to CreaPure. First of all I have not used creatine in a long time and it was my first time using CreaPure Creatine. Aonther good thing about this one is that since it has caffeine on the low end, you can safely take this for late night workouts and not worry about having problems with sleep later on.

Taste/Mixability(9/10): It came in lemon flavor and it was very close to that. It did not taste artificial compare to other PWOs. This does not mean however, that it tasted like pure lemonade. Nonetheless, it was very pleasant, specially early in the morning on a empty stomach. It did not make me feel nauseous. If you take a look the powder inside, you notice that it seems to have no dyes; however, it does get like a pinkish color once mixed, but is nothing heavy, very light color. The texture of Tier 1 is excellent; it is almost like powdered sugar, not grainy and it mixes good. No clumps, and not puking after my workouts which usually happens with other PWOs and I attribute this to the heavy use of dyes in some PWO.

Value(6/10): here is where it falls short, Tier 1 is not widely available in our typical supplement site; I think you can only find it at their website. The price is decent at $25.00, specially because it does contain ingredients in their effective dosages and it seems to have very little amount of fillers in it. Maybe as Tier 1 gets more popular we should be able to find it in other sites, but right now you will only be able to get it from their site.

Overall(8.25/10): Tier 1 is an excellent option for PWO, it is not a extreme-focus-super-energy-I'm-high-on-crack-stimmed-to-the-ass type of PWO, but the fact that it has effective dosages of the typical ingredients in a PWO is what really makes the difference in it. You get quality, quantity and clean energy from this. It is very safe alternative to anybody because of its low amount of stims; if you are affraid of givng yout girl or wife MM, SpeedX3, Noxipro or C4 then you have this excellent option. Tier 1 is focused on giving quality, performance and no B.S. over just energy, hype and flashy labels. I like it and I shall be getting some more.

September 19, 2012

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Clean Energy
    • High Quality Ingredients
    • Balanced Effects
    • Excellent Taste/mixability
    • Value Could Be Better
    Thanks to Citadel Nutrition and the ER program for allowing me to give a full tub of Tier 1 a run. There is a pooload of solid preworkouts on the market today, with new products coming out daily. That being said, if a company wants their product to stand out in the crowd they must either bring something new to the table or use the absolute highest quality ingredients in the most effective amounts. Tier 1 falls into the latter part and IMO did a very good job at putting together a simple, solid preworkout formula.

Taste/Mixability: 9/10
    I can care less about taste if a product is truly effective, however Tier 1 was actually enjoyable to drink. It is lightly flavored and not too sweet or tart, just right.
    The mixability of this product is about as good as it gets, one quick swipe of the shaker and its all dissolved. Two thumbs up in these departments.

Profile: 8/10

Niacin: 30mg
    Vitamin B6: 40mg
    Vitamin B12: 500mcg
    Creapure: 3g
    L-Tyrosine 3g
    Beta Alanine 2g
    Caffeine Anhydrous 200 mg

Profile is about as simple as it gets. Sure some of you will look at the profile and be like, 'wth is so special about that?'. And I would have to agree, that at first glance I didnt see anything outstanding about the product, but after using an entire tub of it I was impressed.
    Citadel did a great job with sourcing only the highest quality ingredients, so for that they get a huge plus in my book. Their philosophy of 'less is more' is very refreshing.
    My only complaint would be the amount of beta alanine is kind of on the low end, but not a deal breaker.

What can I say, Tier 1 delivers the goods everytime. At one scoop the energy was clean and smooth every time. Its not going to feel like you just snorted rocket fuel, but it was a nice jitter free, focused energy that I thoroughly enjoyed. At two scoops the caffeine content is just too high for my liking and jitters set in. So at 1-1.5scoops Tier 1 performed admirably. Its not going to knock your socks off, but if you want some clean energy that lasts, Tier 1 definitely delivers.

A full tub of Tier 1 will cost you $25 and that comes out to a cost of 0.83 per scoop. Thats a bit on the expensive side, especially if you are dosing at two scoops. However, one must realize that the ingredients are of the highest quality possible, so it makes sense that it is priced slightly higher than most preworkouts. All in all, a decent value if you use it in the 1-1.5scoop range.

Overall I really enjoyed Tier 1. It has a simple, no BS profile with high quality ingredients. Citadel has the right idea with keeping things simple, I wish more companies followed that philosophy. Give it a shot, it definitely gets the nod from me.