Cor-Performance Gainer Reviews

By: Cellucor

Cor-Performance Gainer is a Weight Gainer manufactured by Cellucor. It is a protein based supplement that has additional calories from carbohydrates and fats. It is meant to add additional calories for the body in order to assist with weight and muscle mass gain.

Click here to read our
Ultimate Mass Gainer Guide

June 2, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Can Help Meet Macro Needs
  • GI Discomfort
  • Severe Bloating

Trying to put a little weight on before my summer cut I decided to grab this and see how it stacked up to other gainers ive used in the past. Ive used a few gainers in the past, but here lately have tried to stick with homemade ones instead, as they are much cheaper and more customizable.

Pretty standard as far as weight gainers go.
30 grams of protein which is a mix of (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein, Egg White Albumin, Whey Protein Hydrolysate)
40 grams of carbs from maltodextrin and sweet potato power
6 grams of fat
and a 3.75gram mix of Creatine Mono and BCAAs

I received the chocolate flavor and it was very enjoyable, very smooth taste like a milkshake even in water. No unpleasant aftertaste or residue at all. Mixing was surprisingly easy as well I used cold water with a scoop of Gainer in a blender bottle and it always came out nicely. I stayed at 1 scoop for the entire tub, because I wanted to stretch it out and also because I don't know if my digestive system could handle 2.

This product did exactly what it was supposed to do, added in a significant amount of macros in a an easy to drink shake. Now did it do anything special or extra that would make it stand out against other mass gain supplements? Not in my opinion. Most of this review will take place in the sides section more so than the effectiveness. Added into my routine and diet I did add a pretty good bit of weight to my frame, but not at any great increase over other products like this.

BB.com has this for 41.99 plus some perks 50% off bOGOs on other cellucor products if you buy this. For 28 single scoop servings that puts this at 1.50 a serving, that's about on par with most other mass gainers maybe a little higher. If you go past 1 scoop a day this could get very expensive. For my experience the value just isn't even close to there for me.

Side Effects

Alright, if you buy a mass gainer you expect to have a little bloat and a little gas that's just part of packing in an extra 30-50grams of protein and carbs from less than nutritious sources. The goal is to add mass by upping calories regardless of where the mass comes from usually.
With Cellucors Gainer I experienced unbelievable cramps and bloat almost every single day of the tub. I would try my best to go to the gym at down times so I wouldn't be around a ton of people, because the smell of the gas that comes from this stuff is without a doubt the worst of all time and will clear a room. The closest ive ever even come to this was Optimums Serious Mass, the protein farts were bad but Gainer has taken it to another level.
The bloat as well was pretty ridiculous, I would drink this and my stomach would stick out like I just drank 10 gallons of water, both unattractive and very uncomfortable.

Conclusion

Mass Gainers are a little hard to review in general to me even more so than regular protein supps, but this one was really tough. I just couldn't find anything really good to say about it other than the taste was very nice as most Cellucors products are. Maybe they can go back to the drawing board and figure out what exactly make this stuff turn into toxic fumes while its going through the body.
  • Chocolate: 9/10

Overall
Overall
5.5
  May 30, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Can Help Meet Macro Needs
  • GI Discomfort
  • Severe Bloating
Introduction:

Thank you to the SR Troops program and the folks at Cellucor for the opportunity to try their Cor-Performance Gainer. I honestly cannot remember the last time I tried a mass gainer, I am thinking college days. Was quite curious how gainers now a days have evolved over the years. I have a ton of experience with Cellucor products, which the majority have been quite positive.

Ingredient Profile:

A pretty straightforward ingredient profile, that has a proprietary gainer blend of 3.75 grams, which consists of at least 2.5 grams of creatine mono. This doesn't leave a lot for BCAA's whatsoever.

30 grams of protein for each 28 scoops
40 grams of carbs
350 calories per serving, that would be for just water

Taste 7/10:

I had the Vanilla flavor, which was good, not great. Due to the caloric count and sides below, I split up the scoops each day so I would take 1/2 scoop in the am and another 1/2 scoop in the pm.

Stuck with water, due to the side effects listed below.

Mixability in Glass w/spoon 3/10:

This product did not mix well in a glass with a spoon at all with water. Lots of clumps, product sticking to the side of the glass etc. I ended up drinking a clumpy mess.

Mixability in Shaker 8/10:

Head and shoulders above in the mixing department, when shaken in a shaker cup. This was the way to go for me, after the above failed attempt stirring in a glass.

Dosing:

Ok, I tried the full serving 1 scoop as directed for several days and it left me with unwanted sides, as indicated below.

So going forward I split up the serving each day, 1/2 scoop in the am and 1/2 scoop in the pm with water. Although I still had some sides with this dosing, it was much more tolerable.

Effectiveness 5.5/10:

The product made me skip out on a meal or two during the day, which wasn't good for my macros. Always had a full feeling even at 1/2 the serving size with water. I definitely retained water even with the 2.5 grams of creatine, it was noticeable on the scale and appearance wise. Not sure I would recommends this to anyone for 1 scoop, based on the below sides I experienced.

I did not notice any significant strength increases with the creatine.

If I could sum up the effectiveness, it was effective in making me full 2X per day, even when taking the product just with water.

Value 6/10:

As of this review, the product can be bought for $41.99, that's $1.49 per serving, 28 servings.

Side Effects- Meh/GI Issues:

Let's see, where to begin, at 1 full scoop I was a bloated pig with GI issues. There was no way I could tolerate 1 scoop for a duration of the tub. GI issues consisted of odd stomach noises/cramps that lasted several hours after consumption. This was lessened at 1/2 scoop, but still present. Always felt the urge like I had to use the restroom as a result.

I did not like the fact that even at 1/2 scoop with water, 2X a day, this threw off my daily meal plan

Conclusion:

There is no need for me to attempt try a gainer like this, based on my current weight. I would see this product possibly being more beneficial for a hard gainer looking to add weight, albeit it may not be in the form of muscle.
  • Vanilla: 7/10

5.3
4.1
  May 9, 2016

• Helps Recovery
  • -Da Poops
  • Needs A Higher Amount Of BCAAs

Whats up SR another review here. As always thank you for letting me be in the TROOP program and thank you for giving me this opportunity as well as a thank you to Cellucor. A little background I just got done with a meet yesterday for powerlifting. I did a grueling prep where I shocked the poo out of my CNS and I was looking for something to help aid in recovery and making sure I got all my protein and carbs in each lifting day. I also work at a very physical job of being a steelworker. I have tried other mass gainers in the past and with this one I feel there was nothing special and I'll explain why.

The ingredient profile is one of the most basic I have seen in awhile. There's very huge list of what type of protein they used which is something I am not fond of but it is what it is. Their "Gainer Prop Blend" consisting of only 3 grams and something of creatine mono and BCAA's per scoop is ok considering most users will use two to three scoops. Overall this ingredient profile doesn't impress me or worry me. It's just there

I found the more scoops the thicker and better tasting this was. The mixability wasn't great and the same can be said about mass gainers in general. I always drank these on days I worked out afterwards. While I was literally breaking down every muscle fiber I needed to hopefully gain some strength I needed fuel to replenish and with my schedule being the way it is I had to use this as a post workout meal. I first started with two scoops for awhile and later on I added another scoop. So with the three servings it tasted like a milkshake I would get at burger king. Really good! I had vanilla flavor and it was great tasting.

The effectiveness of this product followed suit with everything so far. It was decent nothing to rave about nothing to criticize besides the side effects. I got an impressive full feeling on this. While I was taking two scoops I was able to get 80 carbs and sixty grams of protein which really aided in me hitting all of my micros for the day. When I took three scoops I was able to get 120 carbs and 90 grams of protein. My daily goals were 240-250 grams of protein and 360 carbs for the days I worked out. This definitely helped me meet my nutrition requirements and I felt it did help aid in muscle recovery. I noticed I was less sore throughout the day while using this. The full feeling lasted awhile and I didn't feel the need to eat for three to four hours later even when working my physical job. On days I didn't work but worked out I had to remember to eat a few hours later.

The value on this coincides with every mass gainer that being that it is expensive. The cheapest I found was for $47 for 28 servings which on the front they advertise nutrition facts for two servings making it 14 servings. On top of all that somedays I used three scoops!

Side Effects

So I didn't have EXTREMELY horrible side effects but they were horrible. The gas I got after drinking this shake was INSANE. I work in an alpha male type work environment where its whatever to let one rip(stay in school kids!) and my coworkers would be running for the hills. I could feel it bubbling up in my stomach and I had about ten seconds to make sure my wife or kids weren't near. This gas lead to undesirable bathroom sessions which I won't get into. Wasn't the worst case I have had but at the same time it could have been a lot better.

Conclusion

My conclusion on this is that me personally I will pass on this product. While it was great for a post workout and meal replacement, I feel that the GI was too uncomfortable for me to pay for. I'll need to figure out my own post workout concoction from now on. POPS OUT!

May 3, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Can Help Meet Macro Needs
  • Helps Recovery
  • Needs A Higher Amount Of BCAAs

A special thank you to Cellucor for supporting the ER/TROOPs program with some of their products. Today, I am going to be discussing their weight gainer formula simply called Gainer. This is a version of their weight gainer based on their Cor-Performance series. Over the years, many of us have grown less fond of weight gainer proteins because a majority of them on today's market have a rather unfavorable profile consisting of too many unneccsary sugars, fats, and sweeteners. However, for many like myself, some gainers in the past have proven good quality and worth using during times where we require more calories.

So lets see how Gainer holds up....

Each one scoop serving provides 340 calories derived from 30g of protein, 40g of carbohydrates, 6g of fat, and a 3.75g prop blend consisting of breatine and BCAAs.

The protein sources in Gainer include whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, milk protein isolate, whey hydrosylate, and egg white albumin. The carbs come from sweet potato powder and maltodextrin. Lastly, there consists of a source of medium chain triglycerides as well.

Cellucor notes that each scoop contains 2.5g of creatine, leaving 1.25g for the BCAAs. As a result, one can deduce that the BCAAs are under-dosed to some degree.

I received the vanilla flavor and found it to be quite tasty. The mixability of the product was also good as the product would always fully mix in both water and milk either in a shaker cup or how ever you prepare your shakes.

I most often only used one scoop and rarely did a maximum of two scoops. On training days, I would have a scoop post workout with water while on non-training days, I would have a serving sometimes in the afternoon usually with milk. On the rare occasions I took two, the additional scoop was usually in the morning.

Cellucor recommends 1-2 scoops for lean mass support, while 3-4 scoops for more of a bulking effect. In my opinion, two scoops is the ideal max dosage one should use with Gainer because I believe a full 4 scoops is depriving your body of more higher quality caloric intake from your food, which is where a majority of your macros and micros need to come from.

But to each their own.

I gauge weight gainers similar to how I gauge normal proteins in the sense on how I feel it helped meet my macro goals and the quality of the product. For gainers though, I also look for a higher degree of benefits influencing recovery.

In the case of Gainer, I personally thought that the product did help me keep my macros in check provided my diet was on par and that I was not using more servings than necessary. I particularly enjoyed the multiple protein sources, favorable carb sources, and the inclusion of both creatine and MCTs.

The creatine, MCTs, and BCAAs I felt contributed to a somewhat noticeable recovery. My muscles felt less sore in the following days and the occasional hunger pangs I may get in the night or upon waking were kept at bay.

This is where the product is gong to take a substantial dip. The least expensive price I found was $41.95 foe a 28 serving tub. If you're like me and only use one scoop and rarely two, that can prove to be pretty expensive in comparison to general protein supplements. It can be even more daunting for the high level multi-scoop users who at 3-4 scoops would get about a little over a week out of it. If this product were at least 10 dollars cheaper, than maybe I'd recommend it to those looking to supplement their caloric intake substantially. In the end though, this is too expensive for my taste.

Side Effects

Bromine and some who commented on his review, mentioned side effects related to GI upset such as a high frequency of having to hit the can when upon taking a servings and bloating. I am going to be absolutely honest and say I never saw any indicators of significant GI effect. I did get a little increased gas every now and then, but nothing compared to some other protein products I've tried. Overall, other than a little gas, I had no significant side effects.

Conclusion

In conclusion, while everyone will respond differently, I feel that Cellucor's Gainer is an overall satisfactory addition to today's line of gainer formula protein supplements. A couple of thins I'd like to see differently include some more servings in each tub and a higher quantity of BCAAs A few points I'll conclude with are to ensure your getting the prime majority of your macros from good wholesome food, limit the amount of servings you use to help the tub last longer, and keep an eye out for potential GI side effects.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO RED SOX!!!

Overall
Overall
3.5
3.4
3.2
  April 21, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
    • -Da Poops
    Introduction + Supplement facts
    Huge thank you Cellucor for their support of the SR Troop program. I've reviewed other cellucor products via SR and have had pretty good results. When cor-performance was put up for review I wanted to give it a try because the prolife looked pretty good. This product is made in a GMP facility along with being register by informed choice. Cor-performance gainer claims to be high quality protein mass gainer with added BCAAS & creatine. It will help you increase you strength along with supporting muscle growth and finally increase muscle mass. Let's see how this lean mass gainer does.
    With cor-performance you will get a 3.75g grainer proprietary blend. In this blend you will get 2.5g creatine monohydrate per scoop, and you're BCAA's.
    Taste + Mixability + Dosing
    Usually with weight gainers it's impossible to mix unless you have a blender. But I was surprised at how easy it was to mix with 1 scoop in a shaker cup. I would normally take this post-workout for when I really needed the extra calories along with the carbs and sugars. Seeing how this is a weight gainer there are a few ways you can take this. If you are like Rich Piana and love to take 4 scoops this can be done. So the dosing really depends on what your goals are. 1-2 scoops for lean muscle support and 3-4 scoops to maximize mass gains. Now mind you 4 scoops is 1,380 calories, 23g of fat, 160 carbs, and 120g of protein so you would need a blender for this. I pretty much just did 1 scoop because that was more than enough. A few times I did 2 scoops but nothing over that.

Effectiveness 3.4/10
    Outside of taste this really didn't do anything for me as a mass gainer. The only thing I gain from this was really bad stomach cramps and massive poops. I also felt really bloated afterwards. I pretty much got a GH gut. Usually 30mins after drinking it I would have to take a horrible dump it was really bad. Even after that I was still gassy the rest of the day. I thought maybe I will try 2 scoops to see if would help. Well not really I mean the gas wasn't nearly has bad but holy cow the poops were even worse. My house smelled like raw sewage. Yeah it was really bad all the windows were open along with the fans being one. Just stay away from this product.

Value 3.2/10
    The cheapest place I could find it at was tigerfitness.com. Which was for 41.99 for 28 servings is 1.49 per serving, 2 scoops is 2.99, 3 scoops is 4.66 and 4 scoops is 5.99. So it can get really expensive depending on how you are taking it.

Side Effects
    Other than the massive dumps none.
    Conclusion
    If you are looking for a good quality gainer just look elsewhere. Unlike the other cellucor products that I've tire this one just didn't do the job. I would not recommend this to anyone.