Cor-Performance Casein Reviews

By: Cellucor

Protein > Casein Protein
Cor-Performance Casein is a Casein Protein Powder manufactured by Cellucor. It utilizes the slowest digesting form of protein. Often used for a time released version of protein, it will help increase muscle recovery and strength.

June 12, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • 100% Micellar Casein
  • Versatile
  • Good Profile
  • Good Mixability
    Hey guys. Another long overdue review here for Cellucor's COR Casein. Hopefully in a few months when things calm down for me, I'll be able to write a review that doesn't start with an apology for how late it is. That being said, thanks for Cellucor for and the TROOP program for the opportunity to try this product and put up with how late it is. My third boy was born big and healthy 3 weeks ago and things are starting to slowly get back to normal. I have always had relatively good luck with Cellucor products. C4 was my go to PWO for years and I still have no qualms using it. Casein is not something I use religiously, but I have used it quite a few times and am familiar with different brands. While using it, I was on the IF protocol, which I will get into in a few minutes.

--Profile-

This profile is on point with most casein supplements you will find out there. One scoop yields 34.9g of powder, which contains 120 calories and 25g of protein with only 4g of carbs, one of which is fiber and one that sugar. 1 g of fat in one scoop. Other ingredients listed are Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Salt, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Soy Lecithin, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Silicon Dioxide. No need to break all these down, as we see most of them in the majority of protein products.

Based on these numbers, it seems pretty easy to fit this into any regimen, even those with specific macro goals. If you take this at night, which is what I chose to do, there is nothing in here that will make you regret taking it before hitting the sack.

--Taste/Mixability/Dosing-

I was sent the vanilla flavor of Cor-Performance Casein. If I have to pick between vanilla and chocolate, I will always go with vanilla. In the case of this product, I was not blown away by its flavor. It tasted a little artificial to me. As I continued using it, I did seem to get more used to it and not mind it as much. The texture is EXTREMELY thick, which I think contributed to my problem with the taste. I did expect thickness, as most casein products are, but this one seemed above average. I can't even drink whole milk because I find the texture to thick, so its probably just a personal preference and nothing I'll hold against the product.

Mixability was very good for me. Didn't have any clumping issues when using a shaker bottle. I'm a violent shaker so sometimes I think I get above average mixability results.

Dosing for this product, per the label, is one scoop, one to two times daily. I used one scoop at night before bed. Simple enough.

--Effectiveness-

My desired outcome when using a casein product is that I can take it before bed and not feel like I'm starving when I wake up. Cor-Performance Casein was able to deliver. This stuff definitely helped out while using intermittent fasting. My hunger was definitely quelled more than normal the day after taking this stuff. In terms of recovery from workouts, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

As for product claims, the first says "Supports Muscle Growth." This claim was met because, well, it's protein and that's what protein does.

"Has Minimal Fat and Carbs" Also met this claim, because guess what, it has minimal fat and carbs.

"Tastes Amazing" It tasted OK, definitely not amazing.

"100% Micellar Casein" I hope so.

"All Flavors are Gluten Free" Cool. Nothing I care about though. But definitely cool for people with gluten issues.

Overall, rated the effectiveness at 7.8. It's a casein product and it did what I expected. Nothing groundbreaking here, but a product that delivered.

--Value-

The best price I have seen for this is $31 for 30 servings, and the average price seems to be about $35. I only needed one serving per day, so this product provided me with one month worth of casein. I'd rate that as slightly above average value for a product of this nature.

--Side Effects-

Just feeling full, which is a good one. No other GI issues or anything like that.

--Conclusion-

I think Cellucor did a good job with this one. Easy to fit into your macros and will keep you feeling full throughout the night and into the morning. Cor-Performance Casein comes in at a pretty good price and comes from a pretty reputable company, so I'd feel confident recommending it to anyone looking for a casein product. Despite my only using it at night, I'm sure it could be a versatile product during a cut, bulk or recomp.

Again, big time apology to the whole community for how late I am on my reviews. It was a fault on my part claiming TROOP products when I knew I had a bunch of life changing events coming up. I won't make that mistake again. Thank you Cellucor and SR TROOP for this product!
    • Vanilla: 7/10

June 2, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • 100% Micellar Casein
    • Taste Good
    • Good Profile
    • Sucralose

I utilize protein powders daily in my diet and sports supplement regimen. Casein powder tends to be a between meals shake enhancer or as a post workout, or pre-bed snack. I've tried a few casein powders I've liked and a handful of pretty nasty ones, so I feel that I've got a good base to judge from.

The micellar casein tends to be my most frequent "go-to" instead of other 'caseins' lately. This product is 100% micellar casein and I personally prefer it over blends too. It allows me to know exactly (easily) how much protein I am getting in and from what source. It is also a fantastic slow digesting milk protein. If there were a blend here and it did not typically state how much of what type of protein there was per serving I'd be much less happy adding it into my diet log.

Each full scoop/serving provides 25g of protein, with 120 calories total. I liked this macro ratio quite a bit and found it very easy to use a half or third of a serving (I measured it out always with a gram scale) and could focus on how much casein I was getting in, instead of worrying about 'how much casein AND carbs/fats' I was getting in.. Side note: The scoopers in casein, including this one, tend to get the dry product 'caked' or clung onto them, so I quickly ditched it and metal spooned out however much I wanted.

Other things I could have done without were the Acesulfame potassium and sucralose. I am becoming less tolerant of these ingredients in 'supplements' or anything that I am putting into my body; if you don't mind them, then this profile is pretty solid. Even if you do mind them like I did, you still might be able to blend this how you like to and mask the sucralose and artificial flavors with other ingredients.

The flavor I had to try was vanilla. When it comes to casein powders, I cannot tolerate unflavored well, and really only have a palate for either chocolate vanilla. I've had some pretty harsh vanilla casein in the past and this one was 'just OK.' It was mild, which I'd prefer to make it easier to mix with other things. It had a very "artificial sweetener" type aftertaste to me and I was not a fan of that. Most of my shakes had a dairy/almond/soy milk base, fruits, +/- whey, and some fat like peanut butter. With all the variations, this always had that funky sucralose taste there, but the vanilla itself blended marvelously and never clashed with anything.

Mixing this wasn't a problem for me as much as it seems it was for other reviewers here. I have tried stirring casein in the past and that's for the birds, so this was always either Ninja blended to a pulp or Blender bottle shaken in 20 ounces of liquid (typically cold brew coffee and skim milk, let to sit in the fridge overnight). The shakes in the blender were definitely THIIICK, but I love my shakes that way- plus in my opinion. The blender bottle drinks were a bit thick and if I had been lazy with the shaking there'd be some clumping. There was nothing unusual about this, being a casein, and they all don't mix well and tend to thicken.

Dosing is a bit subjective and open for the user to adjust. There's the scooper and what you'd get per scoop, But I tend to use less than a scoop per shake/drink and would usually measure about a half or so. I've found that I get full mid day if I used this in an iced coffee drink, but more than half a scoop killed my appetite for my next meal. Using this post workout, I'd usually use about a third of a scoop or so, and some whey and milk (which has more casein in is too). I don't see a reason in my own diet to full scoop my protein, make a shake with 50+ grams of dairy proteins in it, and essentially use more powder than necessary for the effect that I wanted. Having this be just micellar casein gave me the ability to dose however and whenever I wanted and that's the best part of this product in my opinion.

Because of the ease of using this and its versatility, it made it an effective way to get casein into my body. I don't know, however, that I could attribute this actually being much more effective than other casein products I've used in the past. In some ways because I could more easily drink it, it helped more than other caseins whose flavors don't mix well with other add-ins. I don't think that the actual recovery itself was better with this product than it is when I use other brands micellar casein.
    When I mix my own dairy and other protein source shakes pre/post workout and pre bed, I am less sore, and that held true when using Cellucor's casein.

A 30 serving tub was cheepest online at $34.99 (tax and shipping not included). Even comparing that price to other casein powders, you are still under $1.25 per full serving in most instances. That seems like a very fair price for casein in my opinion, because it tends to be more expensive than whey and looking at the market, that's on the lower side of what I've looked at.
    I also will note that I got more than 30 servings of this, because I only really utilized what I wanted/needed at any given time. This tub lasted me a very good while.

Side Effects

There aren't any side effects that I could pin down to this product. I just have a beef with the sucralose, and the aftertaste of it here. I don't recall any GI issues, as some other users have mentioned so that must be user specific and potentially also a result of me not using a full scoop every time.

Conclusion

I liked the profile here (mostly), the flavor blended well, the thickening factor in the shakes was a plus to me, I like the price I see, and it helped me fill my protein goals. My biggest concern were the 'artificial' anything in this product. Artificial sugars aren't for everyone and I wish they would have decreased that amount if possible or just had some tweaking to the flavor to mask it better? Other than that this was a solid micellar casein from Cellucor.
    • Vanilla: 7/10

Overall
    Overall
    6.2
      May 9, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Mixes Like Water
    • Amazing Taste
    • Slows Everything Down

Gilla in. Cellucor is always quite generous providing a cornucopia for the lads and ladettes to review over here at SR. I've found that I either reaaaaaaalllyyyy like a Cellucor product or reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllly not like a Cellucor product...does it hold true here?!

Like other Cellucor protein products, they put the essentials right on the front of the label. 25G protein, 120 cals, 1G sugar/fat. Cholesterol and Sodium contents nice and low as well. 25G for a casein product is actually quite nice. It's also pure casein protein, no concentrates or blends or isos of anything else. A simple and transparent protein with no extra fluff.

This product nearly identically mirrors Vitacost's ARO casein in terms of taste and texture. It's ridiculously smooth and mixes like a charm. A bit "too" smooth even perhaps, as I sort of dig a "creamy" taste when I'm drinking protein with just milk. But holy hot dogs, does this stuff mix well. It was nearly water-like going down the hatch.

Dosed one scoop. Errytime. Sometimes two times. A day.

The biggest evaluator for me is always the tummy test. This product never once gave stomach issues. That is always the proverbial plus for protein with me. It provided the right amount of "full" feeling at the end of the night without making me feel gassy and without me wanting to consume more. With the nice macros, I was able to add this to my late night diet routine with zero fear of getting some extra pudge.

"Recovery" effects were nominal. I didn't have a lot of heavy sessions while running this product, I did a lot of cardio, but I did feel a bit of a refreshedness in my legs the next day after longer days.

"Muscle Building" was not the goal for me, but it did help maintain as I'm trying to cut a bit and not lose strength as I train for a 10k.

While not mentioned as a "tummy" issue, I did have a "turdy" issue when running this product. It knocked off my "regularity" and sort of made me constipated. My butt nuggets were sort of "dry" and I wasn't able to plan for a 10/11 AM throne ride at work every day. There were a couple of occasions I didn't go boom boom all day. I miss getting paid at work to expel the doo doo demons. I took two 3 day "breaks" from this product to test the factory and it did the trick each time...then I'd resume the product and those chalky dry humanure came back. Eh, not a fan.

Currently, you can get this product for BOGO50% off at bodybuilding.com, making it a nice 60 servings for about $53 plus shipping for a pure casein product, that's a pretty nice deal.

Side Effects

See above.

Conclusion

I absolutely loved Nutrabolt's other offering, Royal Sport's Clean Whey. This product gave me a bit of a crappy crap situation which for me was sort of a bummer for my bum. If this did not occur, I feel like Cellucor would have had another bonafide winner. But alas, I can only give it an "ehhhhhh" rating.

May 1, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • 100% Micellar Casein
    • Mucky MUCK THICK
    Introduction + Supplement Facts
    Cellucor is the name we all know, protein powder is the game we all buy into.. So doesn't it make sense to cater to every single need for each persons supplemental intake? Casein, it is a slooowww digesting protein which means it is good to keep a consistent source of protein or aminos which feed the hard earned muscle that we have. So the best time to take this type of protein is when you will be without a meal for a long period of time such as before bed. I haven't been able to purchase a tub of Casein for a long time, mostly due to cost and typically going to bed soon after my last meal. I have done the cottage cheese instead, but let me just say that this is easier than taking a cup of cottage cheese to me.. What is excellent about this product is that it is not a blend, but PURE Casein! In the 34.9g scoop you only get 25g of protein, 4g carbs and 1g fat coming at 120 calories but isn't an issue for me. Each container is 30 servings, coming to 71.6% protein per scoop.. There are a few ingredients that a few people might not like: Ace K, Soy Lecithin, Sucralose.. really all the remaining ingredients, as this is not a natural product but it is Gluten FREE!

Taste + Mixability + Dosing
    Well, nothing new in the taste department for Chocolate.. But it tastes good enough. Mixability, as preluded is horrible! This stuff is so thick that your grandma might loose her dentures. Seriously I have done this with 8-24 ounces of water, which at 8 ounces made it thicker than pudding yet it is the starting serving suggestion! 24 ounces of water was close to normal when it comes to protein shakes, but obviously it was a bit too watery. Ultimately I would mix it about 20 ounces, yet there was still clumping. I have had several Casein only products in the past, and by far this wasn't the best with mixability.. Keep in mind, this doesn't effect the score nessicarily unless I am unable to consume the product. Dosing for me was 1 scoop each time, with them mostly being before bed while I did consume it a couple times during work.

Effectiveness 8.3/10
    Lets get this portion going by saying all the typical knowledge or reasons to take this.. I used this in addition to my diet in order to hit my macros and/or my calories, or just in general as I was wanting or needing a snack. This stuff digests just fine for me, with no noticeable issues even given the thick stuff (no comment, but Marc Lobster would be proud of the splurge). Of course I took this mainly before bed, which obviously wasn't noticeable even in the morning with regards to digestion issues. I was able to remain full for quite some time after consuming this, as it digests slowly. I wouldn't suggest taking this post workout, because as your muscles will be waiting a while before getting the nutrients.. The few times I had taken this in the day was due to not being able to eat for several hours, which typically was at work. I was able to remain full from 6am till about three hours late, which wasn't quite time for a meal.

Value 8/10
    Right now it looks like it is starting to come around to other sites, which I-Supplements looks to be the cheapest at $28 for 30 servings giving you a cost per serving of $0.93. I feel this is a good value for a casein protein, as it is matching with the market pricing I have found (flavored protein).

Overall Conclusion 7.8/10
    I would recommend this to others looking for a good value on their Casein Protein, but I also have had better tasting and mixing casein's before which I would recommend also. Ultimately the mixability was a slight issue, and when a powder clumps up as much as this did for me it becomes an issue due to wasted product. Thank you Cellucor for allowing me the opportunity to review this product.
    • Chocolate: 5/10

April 21, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Taste Good
    • 100% Micellar Casein
    • Versatile
      First off I want to thank Cellucor for letting us troopers have the chance to try their new casein protein. It's nice to have casein to use once in awhile and this was my second time trying using this and was just as happy as the first time using it. Do I think casein protein is a must have and use all the time no but if you do have the extra funds to spend it is nice to have and use more often.

Ingredients:
      The ingredients seems to be pretty standard for this casein protein. I like that this is 100% micellar casein. Casein protein is a slow digesting type protein and usually takes around 7 hours to full digest in your system. I like that it does have a decent amount of protein at 25g. I also like that it is low in fat and carbs. I also like that they have everything listed that is in here and use no prop blends of any kind.

Value.
      Right now the only place I could find this was on Amazon for $46.96 but on Cellucor website they want $44.99 for 30 servings. I was a little surprised to see the price a little higher on Amazon. I know once a few more sites get this I am sure the price will be a bit lower. For the price they want on their website I think this is a bit high for a casein protein. I know prices are always a bit higher on a supplement companies own website.

Taste:
      This comes in two flavors chocolate and vanilla. I went with the chocolate. The one thing you notice right away with the taste is that it has a bit of a texture to it and tasted a little bit on the gritty side. The more I drank this the more I got use to it. It does have a decent chocolate taste to it. I usually mixed this with water because when I mixed it with milk it made it a little to thick for my liking and a little harder to mix. It did taste a little better with milk but was still good with just plain water.

Mixing/Dosing
      I did have a little issue with this mixing up. There were a lot of times that I would really shake this up a lot and I would still get a little bit of the powder that would stick to the bottom of my shaker cup. I only used one scoop each night before bed. You could also you use this right away in the morning if you knew you would not get any food in you until lunch time or later. I think taking it at night before you go to bed is the best time this should be used.

This was my second time using a casein protein so I had a little bit of an idea what to expect from this. Like I said above I used this only at night before bed. I know a lot of people feel that casein protein is not super important to use all the time but I think it is more important than what most people think. This would be something I would like to be able to use a lot more often but can get to be rather pricy if you are having to buy it all the time along with your regular protein.

It had been awhile since I last used casein protein and have been wanting to try it again. When I saw Cellucor was coming out with this and then released it on the trooper program I had to give it a try. I was dealing with a little bit of weight loss that I was not trying to lose and I was hoping this could help me gain some of that weight back. I feel this helped me some at gaining some of that weight back and helped me maintain my body weight more and not lose any extra weight. I also felt like this helped me gain a little more lean muscle mass and helped me put on a little more size. My recovery from this always felt a lot better. I was not nearly as sore the next day and just felt better all around and had more energy in the morning. I noticed that every morning when I would wake up I always felt more full and not as hungry which was kind nice. This gave me no digestive issue at all which was nice and no unwanted bathroom issue shortly after you take this. Since this made me feel more full in the morning I could see using this as a snack if you know you wont be eating a regular meal for awhile and need something to tide you over.

Side Effects:
      The only issue I had was that when you drink this before you go to bed it will really make you have to use the bathroom badly in the morning because of all the liquid in your system.

Overall;
      Like I said this was the second casein protein I had used and was rather pleased with this casein protein also. This is something I can for sure see myself using again. It worked for me and was effective and did what I was hoping it would do for me. Do I think this is something you should have all the time no but it is nice to have because it does work. If you have the extra funds I would highly recommend you give this casein protein a try. I also like that this is so versatile and can be used in many different ways. Again I wanted to give a big shout out and thank you to Cellucor for letting us try this.
      • Chocolate: 8/10