C4 Ultimate On-The-Go Reviews

By: Cellucor

C4 Ultimate On-The-Go is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Cellucor. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

Overall
Overall
(SR paid for product; Cellucor did not participate)
  February 10, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Dosages
  • Convenient
  • Slight Crash And Headache
  • Prop Blend

I have used Cellucor on and off over the years but I haven't really used them in quite some time. I do like the approach they are taking now with clinically dosed supplements but not enough for me to consistently buy them like I used to. So, I was looking to try the new ultimate line so when I saw it come up on the Trooper Program I had to try it. Here is the review.

C4 Ultimate On-The-Go comes in an 11 ounce bottle with the entire bottle being a serving. Each serving includes an ample dosage of niacin (60mg), vitamin B6 (1mg), folic acid (500mcg), and vitamin B12 (70mcg). It is pretty standard for a preworkout to include b vitamins as they can aid with energy. The first major ingredient is 6g of citrulline malate, which is nitric oxide booster. This ingredient will help with pumps and this is a solid dose for an RTD product. Next up is 3.2g of carnosyn beta alanine, which can increase endurance and defend against fatigue. The dosage here is a clinical dosage and more than most powdered pre workouts. After you have 1.5g of betaine anhydrous, which can increase strength, endurance, and power. The only thing here is a clinical dosage is 2.5g, which this product falls 1g short. Then you have 1g of arginine alpha ketoglutarate, which is another ingredient to aid with pumps. Next, you have 1g of taurine , which can aid in endurance as well as hydration.

After these ingredients you have the famous C4 prop blend or the "C4 Ultimate Energy & Focus Blend" at 708mg. The first ingredient is N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine (NALT), which can can improve focus. After you have caffeine anhydrous at 300mg, which increases energy. Then you have alpha GPC, which can increase mood and focus. Next up is Zembrin, which is again there for focus but it can also reduce stress. Then you have rauwolfia vomitoria, which can aid with lowering body fat and increase mood. Lastly, you have huperzine a, which is can aid with focus.

I do want to note that there are slight formula differences between the RTD and powder form. In the RTD you are missing the following ingredients that are in the powdered version: creatine nitrate NO3-T at 1.5g, nitrosigine at 1.5g, velvet bean extract, and teacrine. I thought it was prudent to mention this as a casual look someone could assume they were exactly the same.

I had the blue snow cone flavor and it was just okay. The product has an odd chemical type smell similar to heavy artificial sweeteners. That smell is mixed with some blue raspberry snow cone type smell. The liquid is slightly thicker than water and is clear. When you first drink it there is a slight tart taste followed by blue raspberry taste and it ends tart. It is not bad but I would probably try out the other flavors. I will note that overall taste quality was similar to the regular C4 RTDs I have had. As far as dosing goes, I only used it as a pre workout on workout days or running.

I had a hard time writing the effectiveness section of this since I was unsure how I wanted to rate the effectiveness of C4 Ultimate On-The-Go. I had 11 servings and I used them over the past few weeks before the gym and before cardio. So, I decided to write my thoughts on the effectiveness of C4 Ultimate On-The-Go on my performance with cardio and weight training. I will start with weight training. I used this about 8 times before the gym and I always started to drink it about 20 minutes out. I would usually feel it kicking in when I got to the gym and after I had warmed up for 10 minutes it would fully kick. I noticed a definite surge of energy at the 30 minute mark after the first sip. I noticed that I would sweat more than usual and was able maintain a higher level of intensity that I do with just coffee and a protein shake. The energy would remain at a peak for about 30 minutes and then would slowly decline. So, for me it was about an hour after finishing the bottle. About 30 minutes after that (1 hour and 30 minutes after finishing the bottle) I would begin to level out to where I was before taking it. Then two hours after finishing the bottle I would begin to get tired. So, it lasted long enough for me to finish my workout but at times I did have a very slight crash. As far as pumps goes, I thought this was very effective especially on leg day. I noticed that my quads were noticeably larger and my calves were slightly more defined from the pump. I also noticed an increase in endurance on my higher rep exercises where I felt like I was able to get an extra rep or two. Overall, I am happy with the performance of this in the gym.

As for cardio, I definitely noticed an increase in endurance. I think a lot of that had to do with the beta alanine as it was quite strong in this product. I will note that a whole bottle was too much for cardio and I ended up only drinking half. I would save the other half for next time I would run and do cardio. I will note that for when I used this with running I would have more endurance but I would get winded easier. I think this raised my heart rate too quickly, which I did not like for running. If I were to use this product again I would either drop it to a quarter bottle for running or just stick with it as a gym pre workout.

C4 Ultimate On-The-Go retails for $44.99 for 12 bottles making is $3.75 per serving. I did find it slightly cheaper at campus protein for $38.99 making it $3.25 per serving. The major thing to realize here is that with RTDs you almost always pay more over the powder versions. C4 Ultimate the powder version goes for $39.99 for 20 servings making it $1.99 per serving. Comparing this to other RTDs, GAT Nitraflex is $2.20 per bottle and Pro Supps Mr. Hyde NitroX is $2.92 per serving. So, it does happen to be more expensive than other RTD products by at least a $1 per serving. I think you need to look at the ingredient profile to see if you think the extra cost is worth it for the C4 Ultimate On-The-Go over the others. I will note that C4 Ultimate On-The-Go does have clinical doses of beta alanine and citrulline malate while some other RTDs do not.

Side Effects

I did have a slight crash/headache and some gas on occasion while taking this product. I had 11 bottles, I spread them out and noticed a pattern with those side effects. It was nothing major but I thought it was worth noting.

Conclusion

C4 Ultimate On-The-Go is a convenient and effective RTD pre workout but it comes at a cost. I really enjoyed my time with this product but I do feel like it slightly too expensive. I do think if you have the extra money or find it on sale then it is worth a try. However, you are probably better off getting the powdered version on sale. Thank you to Clipper for sending the product!

-Xcmiler
  • Arctic Snow Cone: 6/10