C4 Mass Reviews

By: Cellucor

ARTICLES

C4 Mass is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Cellucor. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.
6.8

January 5, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Smooth Energy
  • Good Energy
  • Digestive Issues
  • Lack Of Pump

Apologies for taking so long to get this up but I have been busy with life stuff. Thanks to Cellucor for the chance to try this and in a way it reminded me of a previous product they had M5. It was by no means a terrible product but it wasn't great either.

6.5/10

It was very similar to the original C4 with the addition of the CreaCarb complex they added. It was different but I feel the carbs in it helped a tad bit. Other than that it was a very basic profile, decent for someone who is just starting in supplements but not for someone looking for a stim punch to the face.

I had the blue razz flavor. holy crap. I might as well have been drinking slushie syrup as much dyes and as strong as the flavor was. If you like big flavor then you will love C4, if not then this may not be for you. The product mixed well but there was some settling down at the bottom and you could feel a texture to it from the portion of the carb matrix that didn't mix up. The dosing was easy 20 to 30 minutes PWO so that's standard for any C4.

Energy and Endurance 7/10
The one thing this product did well was provide smooth steady energy through every workout. I never found myself fatigued in the gym while using this product. The energy wasn't a cracked out buzzing feel but a nice smooth energy. I even used it the morning of my physical testing for the police academy and at 6am it pushed me through the long 3 hour process just fine and left me feeling like I could keep going. The Beta Alanine hit good and was definitely noticeable.

Focus 5/10
Inconsistent. Some workouts the focus was sharp as a tack and some days it was all over the place. It was kind of a let down because the first few days it was like tunnel vision then after that I maybe got that one day a week. I wish it was something that would happen with every dose because when it was on it was on but the inability to produce day in and day out hurts this product.

Pump 5/10
It helped a little bit but barely. I could get about as good a chest or arm pump without this as I was getting with it. My forearms felt a little more solid and maybe my upper chest some days but it wasn't that much of an increase.

49.99 for 30 scoops is high for a PWO, granted its kind of a 2 in 1 product because it is a PWO and Carb product in one tub but for what you get the price is a bit high in my opinion but for cellucor it fits their pricing.

Side Effects

The only side to this was gas. This stuff gets your stomach bubbling. Not terrible but don't use it if you plan on going out that night

Conclusion

Overall it is an alright product. It isn't the best product in the world but it isn't bad either. The 2 in 1 concept is nice but it doesn't do a whole lot in the PWO department other than energy boost. If you are a beginner I would try it but stim junkies stay away

5.8
  January 4, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Energy
  • Lack Of Pump
  • Lack Of Focus
  • Pretty Expensive

First, I'd like to apologize to both SR TROOP and Cellucor for this review coming in so late. With the holidays and being sick for 2 weeks, as well as my 1 year old son, it's been quite difficult to find time to do everything. But, I would like to thank both parties for the opportunity to try and review Cellucor's C4 Mass. I was a huge fan of the original C4 back in the day as it was always a safe bet for me in regard to effectiveness. Once I saw the new line come out with all the new C4's, I figured I'd give C4 Mass a shot since I'm a huge fan of intraworkout carbs. However, C4 Mass fell a little short for me.

As usual, I've attached a picture of the ingredient profile.

Main highlights: Beta Alanine, Creatine Nitrate, N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine, Caffeine (150mg per scoop), TeaCor, and their Creacarb blend which resembled a carb pump matrix from a previous product plus creatine, I think M5 Reloaded?

The main thing that caught me off guard and had me cautious, was the 11g of fiber per scoop, which I missed when claiming this lol. So I was pretty worried about how it was going to impact my training w/ emergency bathroom runs. I'll elaborate more below.

I had the Icy Blue Razz and I thought it was fine -- tasted decent, not too sweet, no mixing issues. Pretty similar to the OG C4's flavor w/ Icy Blue Razz, but a little thicker consistency from the amount of powder per scoop.

(7.0)
Now I used 1.5-2 scoops for the entire tub, and this is where I was a little let down. I knew from the beginning that 1 scoop wouldn't do the job due to only 150mg per scoop, even with the addition of TeaCor. Now I didn't see much difference with 1.5 vs 2 scoops, other than a slight increase in energy.

I mean the energy was decent and about the same as the OG C4...no real complaints in the energy department. However, the pump and focus was what was lacking for me. With the inclusion of N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine, an amino acid that typically works very well for me, I was hoping more for that muscle mind connection/tunnel vision, however experienced none of that -- more than likely due to it being underdosed in that prop blend. Also, the pump was very mediocre as well. I really enjoy nitrate based products, however it was just too inconsistent. Some workouts, the pump was pretty decent, and then others, no real increase. Which was a pretty big shock since pump agents like nitrates, arginine, agmatine, CM, etc. paired with carbs, usually produces a huge pump for me.

Overall, other than the energy aspect, I was pretty disappointed with what I experienced with C4 Mass.

(5.8)
You can pick up a tub of this (30 scoops) for around $35-$50, depending on the retailer of course. Now if this was a pure 1 scoop serving, the value would be much better, but considering most of us will use 1.5-2 scoops per workout, the value diminishes a lot. It such a competitive market, it would be hard for me to purchase this product again due to the subpar results and the somewhat hefty price tag.

Side Effects

(3.0)
Ahhh the fiber! Well luckily, it didn't hit me as hard as it did Robert, but still had a couple scares. The first workout I used C4 Mass with was a heavy-ish squat session, and things got a little uncomfortable and ended up having to use the bathroom. Felt bloated and uncomfortable for the remainder of the workout. Luckily, this only happened 2 more times, and the rest of the workouts were all pretty solid. I noticed this seemed to happen when I had a full meal 2 hours before my workout, in comparison to my typical protein/carb shake.

Conclusion

Again, thank you to Cellucor and SR TROOP for providing me with a tub to try. I was hoping this would be one of my go to's for preworkouts like OG C4, however this just didn't deliver the way that I hoped. When the opportunity comes along again, I'll try another version of C4 and hopefully receive some better results.
  • Icy Blue Razz: 8/10

November 30, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Added Endurance
  • Good Energy
  • Efficient Carb Source Blend
  • Poor Mixability

A special thank you to Cellucor for providing thier C4 PWO line for the TROOPS. I had never tried the original C4 beforehand, so when I received C4 mass, this was my first experience with Cellucor's PWO series. C4 mass is a formulation specifically aimed at those more concerned with adding mass, consisting of a complex of carbs, creatine, B-vitamins, among other ingredients. After coming off of a brief off period from stims, I was eager to try another PWO.

Each scoop provides 150 mg of caffeine and a spectrum dose of B-vitamins and electrolytes. In addition, there is 27.5g of a carb blend (Creacarb) consisting of fast carbs, creatine monohydrate, and polydextrose. Complimenting that we have 1.5g of beta-alanine, 1g of creatine nitrate, and 1g of Arginine AKG. Lastly, each serving gives a 371mg dose of an "Explosive Energy Blend" containing L-dopa, N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosin, and Teacor.

I don't think I have to go over any of these ingredients because a majority of them, if not all, are pretty familiar at this point. Overall, as you can see, C4 mass contains plenty of ingredients to help support energy, endurance, focus, and pump. The idea of the carb blend, in addition to energy, is to aid in the shuttling of nutrients and creatine into the muscles via an insulin spike. The inclusion of the polydextrose I would presume is for gut health management as it is a form of fiber and has been demonstrated to have potential prebiotic effects.

I chose to try out the icy blue razz and I personally was not a fan. It wasn't horrible, but the dyes and slight chemical like aftertaste did not sit well for me. The mixability was terrible and I found myself spending time trying to break up undissolved clumps and grit. I had these mixability issues regardless what I combined it with whether water or a sports drink of some kind. Using more liquid than specified didn't help much.

In the first two weeks, I dosed at one scoop only. However, as the third week and final days came, I found myself using two scoops since the energy and other benefits seemed like they were diminishing by this time. The two scoop dosage helped give the effects a boost, but of course this would mean that a regular two scoop user would have less available servings per tub.

While the ingredient profile looks promising with plenty of well known ingredients, the C4 mass fell short in some areas. As I stated before, the effects seemed to diminish by week three and I needed two scoops all up until the container was completed. The extra scoop did help and I found myself needing this throughout the rest of the product's duration.

Energy (8): I definitely noticed an increase in my energy all throughout my usage of C4 with both one and eventually two scoops. The energy was clean and consistent, and I didn't experience any kind of crash.

Focus (5): I honestly saw only a minor focus improvement that was barely acknowledgeable outside of my normal level of focus even at two scoops. I rarely ever have any problems with workout focus, so I wasn't too upset about this. Still, a more pronounced improvement of focus would be desireable.

Endurance (8): Thanks mostly to the carbs, beta-alanine, creatine, and teacor, I did see a noticeable increase in my endurance particularly during my cardio and boxing sessions. I also had some reduction in fatigue during my high volume sets with my weight training. I noticed this most with squats and dead lifts. The addition of SD pharm's bcaas further helped out in this area.

Pump (2): This is where C4 fell short big time. Alone, the product did next to nothing in terms of additional fullness and pump. Unless I did sets of rep ranges in the 20s and above, I didn't see any noticeable influences in this area. It was only after I added a gram of SD pharm's agmatne sulfate did I notice improved pump and vascularity. I understand that this PWO is not primarily targeted in this aspect, but I figured with the additional carbs, I would at least notice some more fullness.

To summarize, C4 mass delivered in some critical areas, but lagged in others even at two scoops.

Disregarding shipping costs when applicable, I've seen C4 mass go for a price range of 32-53 dollars for a 30 serving tub. Assuming you buy it for the lowest price, that is about 1.10 a serving. However, if you find yourself needing two scoops, that's double the price per serving and tub. For the lack of efficacy in crucial areas and moderate inconsistency of the product, this value is below reasonable standards in my opinion. I would only invest for the product again when on a sale or BOGO deal allowing for half price markings or bulk specials.

Side Effects

Thankfully None, even at two scoops, but I do advise plenty of fluid intake be practiced when using the product and avoid taking it too close to a meal. Made this mistake once and had a brief episode of bloating and gas.

Conclusion

Like I stated in my title, C4 mass is most definitely not the worse I've tried in terms of PWOs, but not something I would recommend over other more favorable ones I've responded to. It's worth a try at least, especially if you enjoy carbs pre workout. Overall the product like others has its ups and downs. For C4 mass, the pros are better endurance and energy. However, if you're looking for more of a pump/focus factor, this product may fall short. Again, everyone is different so you'll only know if you try for yourself.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO PATS!!!
  • Icy Blue Razz: 5/10

November 20, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Added Endurance
  • Smooth Energy
  • Good Energy
  • Decent Pump
  • Good All-around
  • Digestive Issues
Background:
*********************

I've always enjoyed using "regular" C4 in the past, so when I saw this come up in the Troops offerings, I took advantage of the opportunity to try this version of my old standby preworkout. I used this while in the first few weeks of the Madcow 5x5 routine.

Ingredient Profile:
*********************

You've got 150mg of caffeine per scoop, along with some of the usual ingredients typically seen in preworkouts: beta alanine, B vitamins, vitamin C to help with absorption, etc.. I won't go into too much detail here, but this is basically regular C4 with an added "creacarb" blend, which consists of creatine monohydrate, some simple carbs, and a dietary fiber called polydextrose. The idea behind the inclusion of carbs is to create an insulin spike, which would help the body shuttle creatine and other nutrients to the muscles to aid in repair and growth.

Mixability/Taste/Dosing:

Mixability: 7.0

The first thing I noticed is that at 34g, the scoop is much larger than regular C4 or any other preworkout with a "concentrated" formula. Regular C4's scoop is 6.5g by comparison, and if you add the 27.5g of creacarb blend, you see that this blend is where the extra volume comes from. I never could get quite all of it to dissolve, especially when using two scoops, so I usually refilled my bottle with water a few times to make sure I got any remaining powder. Using room temperature water instead of cold water helped improve solubility somewhat, but I still needed to refill a couple of times to clear any residue.

Taste: 8.0

I had the fruit punch flavor and enjoyed it. It reminded me of fruit punch kool-aid (haven't had that in years). Every now and then one of the undissolved bits would be bitter, but it wasn't too bad and overall I liked it.

Dosing:

The directions say to take one scoop at first to assess tolerance, and then take an additional scoop if needed, not to exceed two scoops in one day. I followed the directions, but found I needed the full two scoops.

*********************

The formula is fairly straightforward without any novel ingredients or anything like that to discuss, so I'll just break this down into categories I typically look for in a preworkout: energy, endurance, focus, and pump. This will be based off two scoops, since one scoop was never enough for me due to the relatively low caffeine content. The TL;DR version is that C4 Mass performed pretty much the same as the regular version for me.

Energy: 8.0

The energy was smooth and long-lasting with this. It had a gradual onset that began 2-3 minutes after ingestion, and peaked after 15 minutes or so. It always lasted throughout my workout, and would continue for an hour or so afterwards before gradually tapering off with no discernible crash. Total duration of effects for me were around 3 hours or so each time. I never felt jittery or overly stimmed at any time.

Endurance: 8.0

The even-paced nature of the energy I got from this made it shine in the endurance department. I felt it helped me keep my rest periods shorter than they would have been otherwise, and I always had plenty of energy even after my workout was finished. My volume at the time of using this was fairly low, which I am sure was a factor, but it was still a noticeable difference.

Focus: 7.0

I didn't really notice any increased focus other than what I normally get with caffeine from sources like coffee or 5-hour energy.

Pump: 7.5

I got a decent pump during most of my workouts while using this, even though most of my sets were only 5 reps and my volume was relatively low. I think the fact that I was able to keep moving and minimize my rest periods probably helped in this respect. It was nothing skin-tearing or anything like that, but my muscles usually had a nice full look to them by the time I was finished training. I usually get a decent pump with the regular version of C4, and this version was no exception.

Value: 5.0
*********************

This is where this product takes a big hit. From what I've seen online, a 30-serving container will run you anywhere between $39.99 - $59.99 not including shipping. This comes out to ~$1.33 per serving assuming $39.99 and free shipping. This alone puts on the pricier side relative to similar products out there. However, since the serving size is one scoop, the cost per workout will be double that if you need two scoops like I did. This is too expensive in my opinion.

*********************
Side Effects: Gas
*********************

I had a lot of excessive gas/flatulence pretty much constantly while using this. Sometimes it wasn't so bad, but it could be distracting at times. I've never had this issue with regular C4, so looking over the ingredients, I think the fiber, namely polydextrose, was the cause.

To quote from an abstract I found on Pubmed - "Polydextrose is a low-calorie highly branched-chain glucose polymer that is poorly digested in the upper gastrointestinal tract and therefore demonstrates fibre-like properties". However, while it is generally not absorbed well in the upper GI tract, some does get metabolized by bacteria in the gut/colon. This metabolism can cause flatulence, bloating, loose stools, and diarrhea in some people. I never had diarrhea, loose stools, or even bloating, but I did have possibly the most foul, disgusting farts I have ever had in my life while I was taking this. It has stopped now that I am finished with this product, so I feel like I can safely assume that the high dose (22g, assuming 11g per scoop) of polydextrose was the culprit.

*********************
Conclusion:
*********************

Overall, I liked this product, and it worked well for me other than the unfortunate digestive side effect. I didn't notice any real difference in effect between this version and regular C4, so the digestive issues would prevent me from purchasing this in the future or recommending it to a friend over the regular version. Although, I could see where the carbs in C4 Mass could be convenient if you didn't have time to eat before training, or if you wanted some fast-acting carbs before a morning walk/jogging session. Just make sure you assess your intestinal fortitude beforehand.

Big thanks to Cellucor and the SR Troops program for giving me the opportunity to try this.
  • Fruit Punch: 8/10

October 10, 2015

• Needs More PUMP!
Up for review today is Cellucor's C4 Mass. Most of us are well versed in the Cellular brands and they appear to be releasing more variety of products on a fairly routine basis. Specifically their C4 pre workout has gone through multiple reformulations and now with multiple variations on the standard C4. How does this C4 Mass stack up. Lets see.

Ingredients 7.75: On paper this appears to be very similar to the standard C4 pre workout which is an above average product. However, when you dig deeper into the label, you see a big difference. The CreaCarb blend which is a proprietary blend of 27.5G of carbohydrates and creatine monohydrate. Additionally, you have the additional of TeaCor (which is an acid that provides stimulant effects without the potential for tolerance buildup).

The carbohydrate blend is primarily dextrose and fructose. I wish it would have included highly branched dextrins.

I would like to spend a minute discussing the second ingredient. I find it great that Cellcuor is trying to innovate rather than just use the same old ingredients. They are taking a best of breed approach by combining the tried and true, along with using more newer innovative ingredients.

Dosing: One scoops will yield effective doses of all of the above ingredients. The entire tub has 30 servings. I had no need to go over the 1 scoop.

Effectiveness 7.5: From a stimulant/energy perspective, this product performed great. I believe the TeaCor added a more sustaining effect to the pre workout results. Where the previous versions of C4 resulted in the energy wearing off too soon, this was a more sustained effected (somewhat similar to time-released or slow released effect). Very solid.

As for the pump, it is about the same as the prior version of C4. Which was good but not top end in my opinion. I was never a fan of creatine nitrate to provide pump/performance. In some studies I have read, you need much more than 1G of creatine nitrate to get the claimed results. In short, the pump was fair but needed an inclusion of either CM or agmatine.

Taste 9: Ice Blue Raspberry, it was great as usual, but again we have DYES You all know my distain for DYES.

Value 7: C4 has typically ran more expensive than typical products, this is no different. C4 Mass is priced around $50 per tub, which is a high considering the ingredients.

Conclusion 7: This is a good product and contain quality ingredients, however when you examine the price of the product you would expect more higher quality carbohydrate sources and the inclusion of more specialized pump products. However, in the energy department, it really shines and that is where this product cuts it's teeth. Check it out!

Overall
(SR paid for product; Cellucor did not participate)
  September 10, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Added Endurance
  • Digestive Issues
  • Not Adjustable
  • Leaves Film In Mouth
Cellucor has taken their C4 and made a plethora of different versions. I am on a perma-bulk for the most part so when they made them available to the ER program, I had to jump on the Mass version.

Taste 6/10

Normally C4 has a good taste to it but I didn't really like this one very much. I judge most overall tastes by the blue raspberry version because I find that to be the most consistent one. This left a film in my mouth and I found the taste to be somewhat bland and weak. Just not impressed. It was ok but nothing to rave about for me.

Mixing 6/10

This was also poor mixing compared to regular C4. I really had to get after the shaking to keep it from forming stalagmites on the bottom of the shaker. Once you got it good and mixed up, you just had to swirl it to keep it mixed up. Sometimes I would not be paying attention and not shake it as hard as it needed. Then I'd get to the bottom and it would look like blue moon sand on the bottom of the shaker.

Profile 6/10

What you have is your basic C4 with added carbs. The profile reads the same except for the 27.5 carb blend. It takes the normal C4 6.5g serving to 34g serving. At least the math works out on this one so that's a bonus.

Basically you have your normal 150g of caffeine which doesn't really do much for me but I'll get to that later. The carb blend has some fast acting carbs, creatine mono, and fiber all wrapped into a 27.5g blend. You should get an insulin spike and the creatine should be shuttled to your cells quicker in theory.

Effectiveness 5/10

I'll start with the caffeine. 150mg isn't going to do much for me. I need at least double that. However, that brings in yet another problem. Just go 2 scoops right? This has 27g of carbs in it too. Adding that much sugar and fiber isn't a good idea for me before a workout (54g).

The fiber..wow. This would send me to the bathroom about 30-40 minutes after taking it like clockwork. It was pretty much a violent experience every time too. The couple of times I did take 2 scoops for the added energy, that resulted in 2 bathroom breaks. This was not pleasant at all.

To be honest, I didn't get much out of this except more time in the restroom. I didn't add any weight. The energy boost I got from the 2 scoops was wasted in the bathroom. The one thing I did notice that was positive is that my endurance was better than without this.

Side Effects

I'm just going to list these based on 1 vs 2 scoops

1 scoop
Film left in mouth
Trip to the bathroom

2 scoops
Film in mouth
Multiple trips to the bathroom
Uneasy feeling in the stomach

Value 4/10

This will just depend on who you are. If you can get by with one scoop, then 30 servings for $40-45 is about a 6 on the value list. I'm pretty sure you can get by with one serving because 2 isn't worth the side effects. However, at one scoop for me, I got no real energy boost that I noticed so that isn't a good value either.

Straight C4 will run you around $26 for 30 servings. There you can adjust based on your caffeine need without concern for added carbs and fiber. I need more than one scoop of C4 personally but at least I can safely take more than one scoop of that. If you need carbs, get some Karbolyn or put it in a Gatorade.

Overall 5/10

I have to put this middle of the road. I think C4 in its basic form is a good pre for most people. I don't see any added benefits to the carbs/fiber in this. Maybe if you can get by with just 150mg of caffeine and won't have problems with the fiber, this will work for you. If you need more than that in caffeine, I would steer clear of this.

C4 is Cellucor's cash cow and they are riding it out for all it's worth. I haven't looked at the other "enhanced" versions but this one will be a no buy for me.
  • Icy Blue Razz: 5/10

September 2, 2015

• Possible Blood Suagr Issues

I had been eyeballing this for a few weeks when I saw it pop up from claiming. I was working on adding some size so what better product than one that says mass on the container right? Also ive used a lot of cellucor products in the past and I always enjoyed them so here we go.

The ingredient profile here is the normal C4 with an added "creacarb" blend. This blend is an added 25 grams of carbs mostly fast acting with 11 grams of fiber in there as well. Theres not really a whole lot to say here other than at 1 scoop all the ingredients are underdosed except the fast acting carbs. I'll touch more on this in effectiveness....

Taste- As always cellucor does a bang up job with their flavoring, and adding in those extra carbs only helps in making it enjoyable. I received Icy Blue Razz and it was great, not overly sweet but just right, a very smooth drink.
Mixing- Never had a problem here I dumped it in a shaker, gave it a few shakes and it was completely dissolved, on a few occasions if you didn't drink it pretty soon it would settle at the bottom a bit, but I don't count that against them its not hard to shake it twice more.
Dosing- Simple as with all preworkouts just take a scoop 30 minutes before training and your ready to go.

The 1st day I took this I was very impressed it was a late leg workout and I really killed it, now whether that was the C4 or just my mindset that day I don't know but from there on out the workouts were kind of lack luster. The energy was alright, I got through my workouts, but it didn't make me want to extend any of my sessions, my focus was about normal nothing to note there. I didn't get much of a pump at all unless I added an NO product which I did the 2nd half in which case I had some decent pump. This surprised me because the old C4 gave me some nice average pumps and I figured with the added carbs this would help but no.
Now as far as the carbs go I didn't know to put this here or in ingredients but ill go with here. I really wish they would adjust the carb formula and amount, I felt like I needed 2 scoops on quite a few days, but I didn't want to ingest 50grams of carbs PWO along with 22 grams of that being fiber I might not have gotten a workout in at all for being in the bathroom. Maybe go with 12.5grams or 15g that way you can double scoop it without OD'ing on simple sugars and fiber.

Now this is where this product would really take a hit for me, the cheapest I see it is $40 with it going closer to $45 most places. This is the exact same formula as regular C4 with added carbs so I guess you just need to decide if an extra 25grams of carbs is worth around $20 more. A 1.33 for a preworkout isn't bad if it performs unfortunately for me It just didn't get the job done like I was hoping. It goes on B2G1 free fairly often so if your looking to try it that helps the value a bit, but I just cant see myself using it anytime soon unless some revisions are made.

Side Effects

Digestive Issues, I had to use the restroom like clockwork about 45 minutes after taking this on about 20 of the 30 days.
Ive also never had any blood sugar issues but while on this i had a few instances where it acted up and got cold sweats and very fatigued after the workout i cant blame that entirely on this but it happened as soon as i started this.

Conclusion

I really appreciate Cellucor giving us the chance to review this stuff, but unfortunately for me it just didn't impress me. Hopefully they will add a little more into this and tweak the ingredients when they reformulate. It was one of the most delicious PWOs ive ever tasted but that about where the positives ended for me.
  • Icy Blue Razz: 10/10