C4 Carbonated On The Go Reviews

By: Cellucor

Energy Supplements > Drinks
C4 Carbonated On The Go is an Energy Drink manufactured by Cellucor. It is a stimulant based drink designed to give you a boost of energy and increase mental focus.

September 19, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Amazing Flavors
  • Versatile
  • Can Be Used As Energy Drink Or Preworkout
  • No Sugar
  • Fast Acting
  • Not Strong Enough
  • Not Practical As An Every Day Preworkout Or Energy Drink
  • Proprietary Blend

C4 On The Go Carbonated is marketed by Cellucor as both a preworkout drink and an energy drink. I have used it as both and it works. As is the norm with Cellucor, the flavors are mostly really good. Fans of the classic C4 preworkout will want to at least try this!

What's up guys (and gals)? I'm an avid preworkout user albeit, I use the powders mostly. I had ordered a couple other products directly from Cellucor before C4 On The Go Carbonated came out and they sent me a can to try out. I didn't use it as PW, I just opened it and drank it. Since then, I've used C4 On The Go Carbonated occasionally as a PW but predominantly for a quick pick me up during the day.

First and foremost, there's no sugar, which is normal for a PW but not always the case for energy drinks.
Ok, here we go:
Niacin - 30 MG
Vitamin B6 - 500MCG
Vitamin B-12 -35MCG
Potassium - 90 MG

The next group of ingredients is a prop blend they call "Explosive Performance Energy Blend" with an overall total of 6.73g.
This consists of Citrulline Malate, Cellucor's Carnosyn Beta-Alanine and "Beta Power" Betaine, also some Tyrosine and 200mg of caffeine.

Based on these ingredients alone, it seems more like a preworkout than an energy drink.

These come in 16oz cans which constitutes one serving. When I take this, I usually drink an entire can whether I'm using it as a PW or energy drink.

As I mentioned, the flavors are so good (except for Strawberry Watermelon)
. Twisted Limeade is oh so good! It tastes a little bit like Mountain Dew.
Frosted Atomic Snowcone is basically their blue raspberry flavor.
I have tried the grape, and it's not bad but not as good as the first two.
Strawberry Watermelon is the only one I've tried that is not too good.
I know there is also an orange flavor that just came out but I have not tried that one yet.

As I mentioned, this is marketed as both a PW AND as an energy drink and I've used it in both manners.
When I use it as a PW, I drink one about 15 mins before a workout. It usually kicks in within 20-30 mins. I get the "tingly" feeling from the niacin and beta alanine pretty quickly. It does give me an energy boost but it's not prolonged. It's more like a "burst" of energy. The can mentions mental focus and alertness which I will get into more when I talk about using it as an energy drink as I didn't notice it too much (just a tad) as a PW.

Mostly, I'll take a can to work and drink it halfway through the day for energy or I'll take it on the weekends sometimes just to wake myself up when I'm tired. As an energy drink, I do get the tingly feeling and an immediate burst of energy and feeling pretty good but it wears off quickly. I'd say within 30-40 mins it begins to wear off. Obviously, everyone's body and tolerance is different but that's what I experienced. The "alertness" and mental focus aspects are more noticeable when using this as an energy drink, which is another reason why I use it at work. Overall, it gives me smooth energy but if you're looking for something that's going to make you bounce off the walls or ready to conquer the world, this isn't it.

It's $29.99 for a 12 pack of any flavor, pretty much everywhere. Cellucor is consistently giving 15-20% your order depending on how much you spend. Some other retailers will occasionally have this for buy one, get one 50% off but $29.99 is the norm.
So at the regular price, it's about $2.50/can which is not terrible in terms of an energy drink.
I think if you use it just as a PW or just as a energy drink, the value is not as good but if you use it for both, it's priced pretty normally compared to the rest of the market.

Side Effects

I use PWs regularly so my body is used to most of these ingredients. So, I didn't notice any side effects. I know a few people that have taken it and had a slight crash when coming down off of it but again everybody's tolerance is different. If you consistently take any PW, you probably won't feel any side effects.

Conclusion

I'm a fan of Cellucor, and overall I like this product. If you're looking for something strictly as an energy drink, there's definitely stronger alternatives that are strictly energy drinks but this is a solid drink literally when you're on the go. Grab one from the fridge and hit the gym or if you need quick energy but don't need to be bouncing off the walls, grab one. For me, it's kind of like a novelty. I have it around and the twisted limeade flavor is so good that I look for any excuse to drink one and if my regular PW is running low, sometimes I'll use these for a few days. I don't believe the "On the Go" line is designed as an every day use drink so if you know that upfront, you will probably enjoy it. At the very least, do yourself a favor and try the twisted limeade on a hot day.
  • Twisted Limeade: 10/10
  • Frozen Bombsicle: 8/10
  • Strawberry Watermelon: 4/10
  • Grape: 7/10

Overall
Overall
6.7
  June 12, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Amazing Flavors
  • Hydration Benefits
  • Not Strong Enough

Adaptation is a constant battle in the supplement industry, having to comply to trends is the only way to stay relevant. In 2018, we're seeing bigger and more radical changes from industry veterans to keep up with the demand for change. It seems if you don't release something new & exciting within 6 months, people forget about you and move on to the next big thing. Energy drinks are nothing new as Monster & Red Bull continue to dominate the largest market, taking up as big a section in your local stores fridge as bottled water. We've seen ProSupps release their Hyde Energy Drink, 'Merica Labs recently dropped their 'Merica Energy and VPX's Bang! has been the king of the small market for years now.

Now, It's Cellucor's time. While not exactly marketed as a "pre-workout", it's basically a 16oz carbonated scoop of C4. With 200mg of Caffeine, and a proprietary blend of Taurine, Betaine Anyhydrous, Citrulline Malate, and Beta Alanine, C4 On the Go is a worthy competitor in the ever expanding energy drink market. How well does it all work though? Let's break it down.

C4 On the Go features a hefty 6.73g "Explosive Performance Energy Blend", with Citrulline Malate topping the proprietary blend. We should all know by now how Citrulline Malate is becoming one of the most widely used "pump enhancers" on the market, as the body converts it to L-Arginine and then into nitric oxide, widening the blood vessels and allowing more blood flow into the muscles. This of course leads to a greater "pump", and allows more nutrients to flood the muscle. Following the Citrulline Malate, is the C4 famous Beta Alanine. Known best for it's ability to increase muscular endurance, it's mostly the innocent tingling people chase most. Remember the first time you bought C4 & almost wanted to scratch your face apart? It's that, and oh man does it feel good.

Rounding off the last half of the ingredients is Betaine Anyhydrous, most well known for being found in sugar beets, it's main job is to maintain your cells electrolyte concentration. Basically, it's what keeps you hydrated. N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine is a nice little addition as it's job is to support mental & cognitive health. Some say it's "brain motivation", helping you to stay focused and positive through a tough workout or a hard day at the beach. Of course, ending the blend is a 200mg dose of Caffeine, which helps the product fall midway between your Monster & your VPX Bang. It's a smart choice for Cellucor to not ramp up the levels to an extreme, as it seems any Caffeine level over 200 tends to scare away your average person just looking for a boost. It's enough to please your experts but not too much to freak out a potential new drinker.

Cellucor to me was always a stand out brand for their tastes, the iconic Icy Blue Razz C4 Original was a landmark product when I first began training. I still to this day compare most Blue Raspberry flavor profiles to C4's. Taste is the biggest advantage Cellucor has when it comes to this product, all three flavors I've tried are packed with flavor and perfect for the Summer heat. I find myself mostly reaching for the Twisted Limeade, the taste being best comparable to that of a Sprite. Both the Limeade & Frozen Bombsicle have the perfect flavor profile, just sweet enough to encourage an "ah" after each sip, but not enough to warrant a sour face reaction. It's more the Strawberry Watermelon that turns my face sour after a few sips, but once you're adjusted to it it's actually really good. I have to say though that across the board, Cellucor has created almost perfect flavors. Of course the most liked varies from person to person, and might actually vary by the season, but each flavor can easily be enjoyed on the boardwalk or any outdoor activity.

Personally, 200mg of Caffeine is a low dosing for me, and typically I find myself reaching for another energy drink halfway through the day. C4 On the Go is my halfway through the day drink though as of lately, it gives me just the right amount of energy to end my work day off on a high note. As a pre-workout, the Citrulline Malate supplied me with a decent little pump that took a little longer than usual to show up, but it eventually did and it hung around for quite a while. A powdered pre-workout with a stronger ingredient profile is obviously my preference, but if I'm already loaded up on Caffeine and just looking for that little boost, it gets the job done. For somebody like me though, this just isn't strong enough to be a constant go to. I usually find myself good for an entire day with anything around 300mg of Caffeine, and with products like Bang! creating forumlas out of BCAA's, Creatine and CoQ-10, it's a tough market to compete in with a simple blend. I find myself reaching for this more for the taste and the hydration benefits, both of which are excellent compared to most.

At $29.99 for a 12 Pack, that makes each individual can $2,49, an average price point for your typical energy drink. The awesome flavoring would be my biggest incentive to spend the money on this rather than a Monster, but I'm happy to see them remaining pretty low cost on this one and not making the customers break the bank for a simple product.

Conclusion

Of all the energy drinks I've ever tried, none have really impressed me as immediate as C4 On the Go has, and I found myself quickly hunting for the other flavors after my first one to make sure C4 didn't create a one trick pony flavor I just happened to grab first. As I said before, I'm grabbing this for the flavor and hydration benefits, not so much for the energy. Someone as used to caffeine as I am would probably want to grab something stronger if they're dragging their feet early in the day, but Cellucor has created a memorable entry in the energy drink department. There are surely better pre-workout refrigerated drinks on the market, especially considering C4 already as an entire RTD line available with less volume to drink and a harder hitting experience. Grabbing this at your local GNC or Vitamin Shoppe on your way to the beach or a long day in the Summer heat (along with your water) is worth the stop, but if you're like me you'll be making another stop a few hours later for another dose of that good old Caffeine!
  • Twisted Limeade: 10/10