Beta BCAA Reviews

By: Cellucor

FORUM TOPICS

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA
Beta BCAA is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by Cellucor. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

Overall
Overall
3.0
2.0
  December 6, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Has Beta-Alanine
  • Dosed For 2 Scoops Daily

First this is a product I received via the Bounty Program, so a big thank you to Tommy and Clipper for making this happen. I am utilizing the Bounty program a lot, and I think it is an awesome opportunity to try out new products that are not normally offered here from the companies via SR. 38 years old and I currently lift 4 days a week. I always keep a BCAA product in my stack, and have had both good ones and bad ones in the past. Some provide me with that recovery I need at just 5g per day, while others require up to 10g a day, and of course there are those that just do not work. Lets see how Beta-BCAA stacked up.

A fairly transparent profile with the only blend being the BCAA, but we know its 2.5g Leucine, 1.25g Isoleucine and Valine as it is stated on their website. Beta BCAA throws in some Beta Alanine and Citrulline Malate as well.

Instantized BCAA 2:1:1 Blend (5g): Leucine plays an important role in muscle protein synthesis, while isoleucine induces glucose uptake into cells. The Valine in the red headed step child here, as more research is needed to even know what this does for you. Valine just takes some BCAA credit while the true workhorses are Leucine and Isoleucine.

Citrulline Malate (3g): Citrulline is an amino acid that turns into Arginine in the kidneys after supplementation. Citrulline raises NO levels in the body, dosage to enahnce sports performance are 6-8g an hour prior to exercise, so here have half that dose but depends on how many doses you take per day.

CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine (1.6g): Building block of carnosine, a molecule that helps buffer acid in muscles, increasing physical performance in the 60-240 second range. It can also aid in lean mass gain. Typically you want 2-5g daily of Beta Alanine, so I think this is a bit underdosed here, unless you take another source of Beta Alanine. Of course this depends on how many scoops per day you are taking this, which we will cover below.

Simple profile, and I do like the inclusion of Citrulline and Beta-Alanine and it really is dosed to be taken twice daily.

Taste: I requested and got the Tropical Splash flavor. It tasted okay, a little on the sweet side, but very easy to drink. It did feel like a tropical drink!

Mixability: No real issues it dissolved easily in water. There was a lot of clumping in the container though (picture below). I would break the clumps apart and return the next day to find clumps again. Not a crisis, but I always had to smash up the clumps before dosing.

Dosing: The directions call for taking this twice daily on training days and once on non-training days, which is exactly what I did. I took this post workout and then once mid afternoon on training days, and mid afternoon on non-training days. I realize this may be designed to take Pre Workout, but I just did not try it out that way. I did measure the scoop of this and it did come out to what was stated (11.6g) so no issues on the scooper size or doses.

I truly rely on my high protein diet and BCAA's to aid me in recovery from workout to workout, as I hate DOMS. During this run it did not seem to matter if I took one or two scoops per day, because I was suffering from DOMS every day. Their did not even seem to be a little bit of recovery in here at all, any recovery I did have I can attribute to my protein. I have taken a few days off of BCAAs since finishing this to get a true read on this and feel my recovery is exactly the same. I even tried dosing AstraGin with this and the only effects I felt were increased tingles from the Beta-Alanine. Its almost as if there were no BCAAs in this, or just the quality of them were terrible.

I used to think I required 10g of BCAAs a day to truly recover, but recently ran Amino-Tone from RCSS and 5g a day with that worked great for me. I have been doing the 5/3/1 style of workouts during my last few BCAA products, so my soreness was not due to any big changes in my routine. The added Beta-Alanine here is nice, and I did feel a very slight improvement in my rest times, but that was really about it. I did not take this Pre Workout so did not notice any effects from the Citrulline either.

Obviously this appears to be designed to be taken Pre and Post Workout, but I dosed this as I do with any BCAA product I take, which is either Intra or post workout. That is the best way for me to compare the effectiveness. Overall, I was disappointed with this product, and it did not aid me in any sort of recovery at all.

You can find this on I'll Pump You Up for $25.95 for 30 servings. This comes out to 87 cents a serving. Now this wants you to dose it twice a day on workout days so your paying basically $1.74 a day there and 87 cents a day on non-training days. So this is a steep price for a product that simply does not work, so no value to be had here.

Side Effects

I did not experience any besides no help in DOMS recovery.

Conclusion

Personally, I am not a big fan of CELLUCOR products, and Beta-BCAA did not sway my current opinion one bit. Due to the dosing its very over priced in a saturated BCAA market, it did not work for me in the slightest, and it does have some minor clumping issues in the tub. The Beta-Alanine did help out a little, but I would just run a stand alone Beta-Alanine if that is the effect I wanted. I see the intention here on this product, but it just did not perform. I do not recommend this to anyone. Again thank you to Tommy and Clipper for letting me be one of the first people to utilize this Bounty Program, and now maybe we can see why this product was not offered up on this site.
  • Tropical Splash: 7/10

• Clipper83
    December 6, 2017

More research is coming out that BCAAs without EAAs might not be as useful as once thought.

Starting to make me think of all of my past BCAA reviews actually