Alpha Amino Xtreme Reviews

By: Cellucor

ARTICLES
Alpha Amino Xtreme is an Amino Acid Product manufactured by Cellucor. It is an amino acid based product that doesn't fall directly into the other categories. The use can vary depending on the specific product.

December 4, 2015

• Not Enough BCAAs Per Serving
This is going to be the quickest review I've ever, and probably will ever, do considering the product and its results.

Honestly, it's just a mash of a bunch of different things inside of proprietary blends. Simply boiled down, this is an amino, not a BCAA product, with 100mg of caffeine; this is basically a coffee replacement. The difference between amino acid and BCAA products is that one simply supplies varying aminos while BCAA products have a goal of spiking insulin through gluconeogenesis to spare muscle tissue, spike muscle protein synthesis, or further spike muscle protein synthesis.

Watermelon - 5/10

Don't make me drink that. It was artificial tasting, and not desirable.

It's a drink meant to taste good and be a replacement for coffee. It doesn't do a great job at tasting good, unfortunately.

You can get this at most places for $30, or a dollar a serving. This is acceptable for a preworkout that increases performance, but not a simple amino drink with caffeine. Especially when coffee tastes better.

Side Effects

Actually, heartburn was a side-effect. Never had that before.

Conclusion

It's just something I would never recommend to anyone for the price, the taste, or even what it provides. Sorry Cellucor :/
  • Watermelon: 5/10

November 12, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Soreness
  • Quality Ingredients
  • 1 Scoop Effective For 30 True Servings
  • Very Clumpy Power

Hi again everyone! Thanks to supplementreviews.com and Cellucor for participating in the TROOP program. I appreciated the opportunity to try this product free of charge in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. I must apologize to everyone for the tardiness of this review. Insert generic excuse here. Bottom line, people don't want to hear excuses. I'll just tell you future reviews will be more timely and if they can't be I won't be claiming any more products.

Due to injury I was not working out heavily during my run with this product. During the latter half of the container I wasn't able to get to the gym at all and haven't been able to now, for over 6 weeks. However, I always have some energy products on hand to get me though my long days at work. And for gaming! So I still feel I got a lot out of this product, even though I wasn't lifting heavy the whole time.

One downside to Cellucor is that you almost always get some blends in their products. However, from a well known quality brand I don't mind this as much especially because Cellucor uses a lot of patented ingredients, which tend to be better quality (and cost more too). There's a nice blend of ingredients broken down into 4 sections on the bottle. I'm not going to go into all of them, but just hit the things that stood out to me. I always like the inclusion of some vitamin electrolytes and you have those in here. The BCAA blend is 5g and you have some different forms of Leucine thrown in such as Nitrate and peptides. This is unique, but I don't think I noticed anything better than the regular kind. I do like that they include 3g of a hydration blend with glycerol, which is a great ingredient. Staying hydrated is really important! They've also thrown in 2.5g of many other aminos besides the BCAAs, which although I may not need them, I still like. The stim blend is only 119mg but they include the XCELICOR Caffeine Pterostilbene Cocrystal, which basically is supposed to function like a time release caffeine and also you're not supposed to build a tolerance to it. The energy blend worked really well for me. More about that in the effectiveness section.

I like that even at 1 scoop I'm getting 7.5g of total aminos which is a nice dose. So you don't have to double scoop like a lot of other products.

Despite being quite clumpy in the tub, I had no issues mixing it in a standard whisk ball shaker with cold water. I did not appreciate the clumsiness in the tub though, because I found myself wondering what dose I was getting and if things were mixed and accurate. Taste was really good. It was lighter flavor than a lot of Cellucor's other products and was really easy to drink. I also noticed that this seemed to have less dyes than many of their other products too. I only needed one scoop to get a nice energy boost, which was a huge plus.

Alpha Amino Xtreme worked really well for me. As an amino product the recovery was average. I didn't really notice it being better or worse than any other product I have tried. It helped and was definitely better than nothing. From an energy standpoint, this product was fantastic. I am a fairly stim tolerant person. 100mg of caffeine normally doesn't do anything for me. But I felt the energy from this for hours. At one scoop it was really smooth and perfect for when I was at work. I got focused but without jitters. I tried two scoops a couple of times but this was too much for me. Before a workout it would be fine but at work it was too much. I was really surprised at how much of a rush I got at two scoops. It was almost uncomfortable. I never got any crash with this product or tolerance and that's a huge plus. It definitely helped me stay hydrated throughout the day too, which is nice, especially as most of us are on creatine.

The way I see it, if I'm going to drink something for energy it might as well have some benefits that support the goals I set for my physique. That's why I liked this product so much. I love energy products and we all know the benefits of aminos so it's a true win win for me.

With some digging you can find this for about $30 but the regular price on most major sites is $35-$40. At a little over $1/serving I think this is a great value primarily because 1 scoop actually did the trick for me most of the time. I think it's a fair price that reflects the quality of the profile. When looking at a competitor such as Optimum Nutrition's Amino Energy, the initial cost might be cheaper but I have to double up on the servings to get the desired effect and that makes it more expensive. Plus Alpha Amino Xtreme has a better profile in my opinion.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Given the ingredient profile I really see this product as more than just a BCAA. Personally, I think it's great for use throughout the day more than during workouts because it's too much stims if you already take a pre workout. If you don't take a pre workout, or are a person who is stim sensitive this could be a great product to fuel you during your workouts. Overall, this was a solid product given my personal needs and it hit the mark in all the areas I had hoped it would. I would definitely recommend this product to someone looking to fill similar needs!
  • Watermelon: 8/10

November 2, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Quality Ingredients
  • Dyes Galore

I've always used an amino product as an intra-workout drink to give me a pick me up and just something other than water to quench my thirst with. I received Alpha Amino X on the SR Troop program so a big shout out to SR.com and Cellucor on this program. Excellent idea fellas.

The HydroMax is what caught my attention on this product. HydroMax offers a unique combination of greater potency and function. It is said that HydroMax is the new and improved way of keeping you hydrated. Although I couldn't feel the hydration it was nice to know that it was in there. Alpha Amino X offers a variety of aminos along with your B6, B12, Calcium, Magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and sodium. I also noticed it had some caffeine in it so if you are stimulant sensitive and already take a pre-workout with caffeine then be careful so that this doesn't sneak up on you in the middle of the workout. I take a pre-workout with caffeine and never even noticed a change in energy with this.

Taste was pretty good. If I had to rank it I would give it about 8.5. Definitely one of the better tasting Amino drinks I have had. I mixed 1 scoop with about 10-12 oz of water each time because I like for my Amino's to last me most of my workout. Otherwise I have to switch to water, and I drink water ALL DAY. When I opened the tub I saw some clumps. I chalked it up to the HydroMax because some of the things I had read on websites was that HydroMax will cause clumps in supplement powders. It mixed well and that was all I really cared about. If I had another dose of this it was with the morning snack for a morning pick me up. I guess the only thing I could say bad about this product was that there are a lot of dyes in this product. If you have a problem with dyes you may not like this product. I don't mind, but I know some people will.

I have always enjoyed amino's but haven't really ever noticed them doing anything for me at the time. I know the research on them and what the studies show so I will continue to use them. I can say that the few times I didn't have my intra-workout because I had forgotten it I didn't want to finish my workout and found myself attempting to skip certain sets or exercises because I did not feel like doing them so the energy factor is definitely there for me.

$30+ for 30 servings places this in the middle of the pack as far as value to me is concerned. I fee like if the HydroMax really does do its job then it is totally worth it. Being hydrated makes a ton of difference if you are to perform your best. That being said I can totally see myself buying this again in the near future because of the taste, the HydroMax, and the serving size. $30 is usually my limit when it comes to these things and I can this for right at that or even a little cheaper with coupons nowadays.

Side Effects

No side effects to speak of

Conclusion

Overall, great product for a solid price. Have already recommended this to my guys at the gym simply because of the taste. I will buy again. Based on what I have seen it is solid competition for the other amino drinks on the market.
  • Watermelon: 9/10

October 29, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Soreness
  • Quality Ingredients
Intro:

Just got time to get this product review thing on!! Thank you again to the TROOP program and the people over at Cellucor for the Op. to use this free of charge! Being my major endeavor in the BCAA department I was having high hopes in this! Some builders really like BCAA's and some feel they are unnecessary as a supplement; so I wanted to get my take on it.

Profile: 8.5

They threw a lot of "stuff" in this flashy tub that had me googling like crazy! I was amazed at the list and the amounts until I looked it up. Still looked good just not overboard after I did my homework. Some of the other reviewers have done a fine job explaining the ingredients and I recommend you look at their info. I did like the addition of the "extra" Xtreame caffeine and hydration in the blend.

Taste/Mixability/Dosing: 9.5

This stuff was awesome in mixing and taste! Reminds me of grape Fanta without the fuzz! It's a great surprise when you drink only water and supplements to have a great tasting supplement. Takes little to no shaking in a shaker cup and can even be stirred up in a plain cup with a little effort. Not a lot of foam or anything so easy to enjoy IMO. 1 to 1.5 scoop is where I stayed in dosing. I used it when I felt I needed the extra boost.

Effectiveness: 8

I went into this not knowing what would happen; so I doubted its effectiveness until I couldn't deny it was working. Being a skeptic because a few guys/girls don't like a supplement is proof you need to try it for yourself before passing judgment. I really liked the endurance and lack of soreness after work out's when I knew I should have been hurting. The extra energy about 20ish min. after sipping was also welcome, especially when I disregarded the voices in my head telling me to take a PWO! Also effective when needing that extra push at the workplace (at least at my job). I have been doing a lot of extra movement's upper body wise and this really helped. I enjoyed this stuff at the 1 scoop but at 1.25 to 1.5 scooper I really think I hit a sweet spot. After finding that I kept at the higher dose; really effective for me.

Sides: None, but come on Cellucor them dyesshhiesh. I don't need them or like them.

Value: 7

In my humble opinion this has a lot of benefits and few draws in value. Maybe more servings in a single tub would be nice; but this is very comparable to other supplements in this category. A bit more than some but this has extra stuff in it for the price. And most the lower priced BCAA products have just minimum amounts of what is recommended. Now a minor hit came to the price when I upped the scooper amount, so that is on me but it was more effective when I did this. Endurance and energy was just better at a higher dose. Obviously this made the tub not last the serving size of 30 but did not kill the value.

Overall: 8

I am glad I picked this product From the TROOP board and was chosen to get this to use! It has changed my outlook on similar BCAA's and I will use BCAA's in the future. I usually enjoy Cellucor products and I did this also; even when doubting its effectiveness at the start of the run. Not everyone thinks BCAA's are worth the cost or even worth taking; but I do now that I have tried them myself. So if you got the 35$ to 40$ to spend on a BCAA here it is to try! I did and thoroughly enjoyed this "grape drank" and the gainz. Do what you will!
  • Grape: 9/10

October 27, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Soreness
  • Pump
  • Quality Ingredients
  • Dyes Galore

(Background info on yourself, diet, experience, goals, first thoughts on the product and how you discovered SR)
Huge thank you to SR and Cellucor for their continue support of the SR program. This is my second review of a BCAA product the first one was just alpha amino which I really enjoyed this one is alpha amino xtreme so we are kicking it up a notice with this amino product. I've had great success with alpha amino so I was really excited to try alpha amino xtreme. This review is for a full 30 serving container. Now let's see how xtreme it really is.

(Your thoughts on the ingredients/label of the product)
The Ingredient profile is pretty simple. There are14 aminos, including an Alpha BCAA Matrix and Alpha Amino Complex. Cellucor has 3 different stages that cellucor uses in this BCAA. Alpha Amino Xtreme features a well-studied 2:1:1 BCAA ratio, highlighted by a 3X Leucine Matrix for maximum performance. 3X Leucine includes instantized L-Leucine, Leucine Nitrate and Leucine Peptides to enhance the body's ability to fuel skeletal muscles, preserve muscle glycogen stores and reduce protein breakdown. Cellucor 4 main areas in alpha amino xtreme but they use a propriety blend for each one so it's hard to know exactly was you are getting. But I was still able to see great results while taking this. In the alpha-bcaa matrix which is 5g you are getting cellucor NO3-t which is used in some of cellucor's other pump products. This is pretty neat because you muscles will recover faster while you are getting your pump on. Next you have the alpha-hydration which is 3g here you are going to get hydromax glcerol, raw coconut water, and chia seeds. Raw coconut water is great at replenishing fluids during you super set or if you curling 95lb dumbbell's. Coconut water serves as an excellent replacement medium with 294 mg of potassium and 5 mg of natural sugar per glass, unlike your favorite sports drink that only contains half of the potassium content and five times the amount of processed sugar. The addition of hydromax is really nice to see in this product I know more companies are starting to use it in there pump supplements. Hydromax is used to hydrate the body, improve endurance, and increase muscular pumps during physical activity. Third you have alpha-amino complex which is 2.5g here is where you will find the muscle recovery for those long hours at the gym. You will find Tyrosine which is important to the body. This is made from phenylalanine. In terms of enhancing performance, it's typically included to combat stress, improve recovery and improve cognition. Lastly you have the XTREME in alpha xtreme get it alpha amino xtreme blend 119mg here is where you get that extra boost of energy while you train in a gym that's 100+ degrees with no A/C and just some box fans sounds like my kind of place. You get caffeine for those long days at the gym.

The flavor I received was fruit punch it was supposed to be watermelon. But this flavor was pretty good. There was the usual clumps due to having hydromax in it. I mixed 1 scoop with 8-12 oz of water. I will also tell you there are quite lot of dyes in the fruit punch flavor maybe hopefully in the future cellucor will fix it.

Just like alpha amino cellucor followed up with another fantastic product in alpha amino xtreme. The extra boost of energy really help me during longer workouts at the gym or if I was working 10-6 shift at work then spent 2hrs doing back at a gym that has no running A/C which is the only way to train. The hydromax was also a great addition I notice the pumps each workout I went though not matter what body part I train it was really noticeable. Alpha amino xtreme hydration was super effective when it's 70 plus degrees and you train in a gym with no A/C you sweat a lot especially when you doing a super set of lat pull-down and a dumbbell row while increasing the weight 20lbs each set starting at 160lb for lat pull-down and 125lb for the rows doing a working set of 5-6 with and min of 6 reps each set. That's after an hour of doing other back exercises. Cellucor did a great job by incorporating very key areas that you need during your workout plus adding in some caffeine. Plus you had some vitamin B6 & B12 to help give you the extra add feeling of yea I'm here to train get out of my way. Alpha amino xtreme also help reduce muscle fatigue between each workout. I did notice I was not as sore quite as long while. It also helped with delaying the onset of DOMS during my workout and afterwards.

At bodybuilding.com they have alpha amino xtreme for 39.99 for 30 servings. Which is a 1.33 a serving but you are getting a lot of benefits each serving. Plus it has an extra boost of caffeine.

Side Effects

zero side effects

Conclusion

Cellucor did a nice job with this product. If you have some extra cash and are looking for some amino to try with a little extra in it I recommend alpha amino xtreme. I would buy it again. I hoping in the future cellucor makes a bigger serving size.

October 7, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Pump
  • Quality Ingredients
  • Not Enough BCAAs Per Serving

Shout out and thanks to Cellucor for providing Alpha Amino Xtreme (AAX) to the SR TROOPS program. AAX is an amino acid supplement
formulated with a efficient doses of branch chain amino acids for recovery and anabolism, electrolytes for hydration, a modest dose of stimulant caffeine with P5P, and other essential amino acids for intra-workout support. I particularly am fond of the inclusion of the caffeine as I find plenty of use in a supplement that can give me a good boost in my recovery and help provide me with some sustained energy whether it be in the morning or during my workouts. I am no stranger to amino products, so I knew what I wanted from this product based on its contents.

So the question remains...Does it deliver?

The prime core of the profile consists of three prop blends. I often deduct points as a result of prop blends due to the majority of the time of obvious under dosing and overly crammed additives. However, in the case of AAX's contents and more straightforward ingredients, I will make an exception.

To begin, we have a 5g Alpha BCAA Blends consisting of the well known amino acids leucine, L-isoleucine, and L-valine. The feature in this blend is a unique form of leucine; leucine nitrate which is can support pumps as most nitrates do. 5g seems sufficient enough but being a bigger athlete, I would prefer something a little higher. As Isamurai mentioned in his review, a quantity of perhaps 8-10g of the blend would be preferable.

Next we have an Alpha Hydration formula with a 3g quantity. Very rarely do I ever have a problem with hydration since I make it a prime concern to always take in plenty of fluids during my workout whether it be water or an electrolyte sports drink like powerade. That's not to say though, that this isn't a welcomed benefit to the product. During my later weeks of using stimul8 when the thermo effect began kicking in overtime and I was sweating way more, the hydration formula did a great job in helping keep the cramps I sometimes get away. This was especially helpful during my cardio sessions.

Thirds, a 2.5g blend of essential amino acids provides some familiar additional amino acids such as glutamine, L-arginine, and L-citrulline to name a few. These can help in recovery and provide some pump support.

Lastly, AAX finishes it's profile with a 119mg blend consisting of 100mg of caffeine (as noted on the tub label) and B-vitamins. Clearly, this is going to provide some good energy and metabolism support.

Despite the prop blends, this product still has the potential to deliver based on the acceptable dosage ranges of most of the ingredient.

I chose the warermelon flavor, and while it wasn't the worst thing I've tasted, it did have a displeasing chemical like taste/aroma to it which didn't go well with me. The mixability was fine for the most part despite a little undissolved grit that would occasionally occur in my preparations.

I used AAX in a variety of ways. Most often I used AAX at one full scoop serving first thing in the morning about 20 minutes before my first meal as a good pick-me-up to my day. Also, the immediate shot of amino acids was a good way to initially break the fast of sleep and make sure my DOMS remained at a minimum.

There were sometimes when I combined it with hemonox as intra workout support. This helped with sustained energy and kept me well hydrated while maintaining endurance throughout my workout.

Taken solely PWO without anything else didn't do much. Upon adding stimul8 I decided to stick to using AAX either first thing in the morning or as part of intra workout support.

Needless to say, AAX can be very versatile.

Using AAX in the morning gave me a good, quick boost of energy to begin the day. This was important because I don't always get the amount of sleep I would prefer. Therefore, getting that quick shot of caffeine and amino acids really made the difference. While using it intra workout, I experienced a good solid pump, clean energy maintenance, and a notable increase in endurance. My fatigue was lower and the post workout soreness seemed slightly reduced. Lastly, I liked how it helped maintain adequate levels of hydration. In the morning upon waking I often feel a but dehydrated, leaving me rushing to grab some water. AAX's added electrolytes complimented by renewed hydration to the point where I didn't feel so "dried out" from the general fast associated with sleep. While intra workout, AAX kept the cramps that I sometimes get during HV sets and HIIT cardio.

In summary, you may need to experiment with the method and timing of AAX, but once you find your optimal time of usage, it will definitely help with energy, endurance, fatigue reduction, and hydration.

The average retail value of AAX is about 30 dollars for 30 servings. No math needed on this one; that is more or less a dollar a serving, ignoring any miscellaneous expenses. For what AAX can deliver, I think that is a fair price considering there are some more pricier BCAAs product out there that may not offer the additional benefits as AAX.

Side Effects

None, but dem dyes doh....

Conclusion

Getting past the overuse of dyes and what not, AAX is a great BCAA product worth trying if your looking for a product that can help give you some clean energy, provide hydration to keep the cramps at bay, aid in recovery, and increase endurance. Again, I do advise a little experimenting to see where it works best such as PWO, intra, or some other time in the day. The product is versatile, so ensure your using it to the best of your advantage.
  • Watermelon: 6/10

October 5, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Soreness
  • Quality Ingredients
  • Increased Energy Mid-workout
  • Hydration
  • Dyes Galore
  • A Little Expensive

To start (as usual), I'd like to thank Cellucor and SR TROOP for sending me a tub of Alpha Amino Xtreme to try and review. I apologize for this review coming in a little late...I've been extremely busy as of late with work related issues, as well as a teething 10 month old son who won't sleep. But, I'm quite familiar with BCAA products as I've tried so many of them. Once I saw this become available through the TROOP, I immediately put my bid for it based on the ingredient profile, and I was extremely pleased with the results this product delivered.

I've attached a picture of the full ingredient panel.

Hightlights:
-5g's of BCAA's (pretty decent dose, wouldn't mind if it was in the 8g-10g range tho)
-Hydration complex with hydromax, coconut water, etc.
-2.5g of EAA blend
-Energy complex w/ caffeine - I love this inclusion, I'll elaborate below

Even tho they're all in prop. blends, this isn't a deal breaker for me as long as the product delivers.

(7.5)
I had the fruit punch flavor and it wasn't the worst, nor the best fruit punch flavor supplement I've tried. Wouldn't say that I truly enjoyed it, but I've definitely had worse...this was more than tolerable. No real issues with mixing, slight foaming and sediment if left unshaken for a while, but easily fixed.

(9.0)
I really loved Alpha Amino X and delivered more than what I expected it to do.

Recovery: 9/10 - basically on par with the competitive BCAA products out there. Even only at 5g's of BCAAs per serving, my recovery was significantly better than training without BCAA's. Of course, I typically had a day of slight DOMS the day after the workout, but rarely pushed into the second day. I also noticed a slight increase in endurance and less time needed to recover between sets.

Hydration: 10/10 - I sometimes experience slight muscle cramping, especially during my leg workouts, but during the entire duration of Alpha Amino X, I never experienced any cramping which indicated that the hydration formula provided, worked extremely well for me.

Energy: 9.5/10 - Now this won't get you stimmed out or anything, but I personally loved the inclusion of the intra workout caffeine. I've noticed with some preworkouts that the stims will tend to die half way through the workout, and this is where I was hoping Alpha Amino X would help fix. And it did. It definitely provided that mid workout push/energy surge that was sometimes needed, and this is probably the main selling point I would point out when comparing it with other intra products. I also used this during my work day sometimes to get me through that afternoon work struggle instead of going for a cup of coffee...and it did the job here too.

(7.5)
Now unfortunately, Alpha Amino X will run you about $40 plus shipping for a 30 serving container. Typically, most intras you can find around the $30-$35 which is why I gave it a 7.5 value. But, I personally would have no issue buying or recommending this product based off of the results I experienced.

Side Effects

DYES! My only issue with this product were the dyes. The red food dye literally stained 3 of my shaker cups.

Conclusion

I mean other than the dyes, this is definitely one of my favorite intra/BCAA products I've tried to date. Solid recovery, hydration, and of course, that mid workout stimulant push needed to power through the second half of those strenuous/intense workouts. Thank you again to Cellucor and SR TROOP for allowing me to put this to the test and I would definitely purchase/recommend this to anyone looking for a new intra/BCAA product to try!
  • Fruit Punch: 7/10

September 26, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Soreness
  • Pump
  • Quality Ingredients
  • Non 2:1:1 Ratio
  • A Little Expensive

Thanks to Cellucor for puuting up quite an abundance of products for us to try out. I claimed a few of them and was excited about the new Xtreme products. I was on a cut and used this in the morning before HIIT cardio on an empty stomach.

This is a kitchen sink type, they threw a little bit of everything in here. You have a decent dose of BCAAs(5grams) id like to see the ratio of this and a few of the other complexes all of which are hidden in prop blends. I really enjoy the hydration complex with the inclusion of Hydromax Glycerol and raw coconut powder. Next you have the Alpha Amino Complex which is 2500mg of 9 EAAs divided up, I would rather see less of these and have them at more effective doses. Lastly you have a 100mg of caffeine and Cellucors trademarked XCELICOR which they claim boosts a longer lasting type energy.

I received a tub of Grape because I didn't specify a flavor preference. I have never been a fan of grape thanks to every medicine my mom every gave me as a child being grape flavored. That being said this wasn't that bad, im sure if you enjoy grape you would love this. I mixed this with between 18-22oz of water and it stayed pretty sweet. Hopefully they come out with a few more flavors as I see right now they only have 3.
I used a shaker without a screen or a blenderball and mixability was always great, very little foam, and some grit due to the Hydromax im guessing.
Dosing says to mix with 8oz of water 20-30mins before your workout, I think that with only 8 oz of water that this would be wayyy too sweet and I used this as an intra or as a slight boost during non training days.

With so many ingredients this was effective for me in a few ways. If you use any intra or BCAA product you want to see an improvement in recovery and muscle repair. I was working more towards cardio and fat loss while on this(high reps light weight), but nonetheless I cant remember being overly sore on any day. The Hydromax gave me some really nice pumps as well, my muscles felt full and well hydrated. I would sit in the sauna after training sessions a few times a week and I never felt like I got dehydrated at all. Some people don't like the addition of caffeine in an intra product, but if that's the case Cellucor makes a regular Alpha Amino that you could go for. Theres not a lot of caffeine in this (100mg) but for me it was just enough for a good little pick-me-up during the workday on the few occasions I used it. A lot of women I think would really enjoy this as a preworkout, my gf cant handle heavy stims at all so I let her try a scoop one day and she really liked it, even the taste which is an accomplishment in itself as she doesn't like anything supplement wise.

I have seen this online from $32-40 that is a little expensive for an intra BCAA product but this is a lot more than that so I think this is in line with most other products out there and probably the most reasonably priced product ive seen from cellucor at the moment.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This was a solid product that performed for me a few different areas, now if Cellucor could just do something about all the dyes they put in all these products we would be moving in the right direction. I would buy this with my own money, but I would like to try out another flavor(lets see that delicious blue razz or a razz lemonade guys)
  • Grape: 7/10

September 26, 2015

• Not Enough BCAAs Per Serving

I had the luxury of trying a tub of Cellucor's Alpha Amino Extreme through the Supplement Reviews' Expert reviewer program (thank you!!) and really enjoy trying new intras when they are available. Prior to ever trying BCAA product, I used to use water or water/electrolyte mixes for cardio or lifting intra-workout. Those work OK at keeping me hydrated, but never really gave me any added "boost" to my physical activity. Other than intras, my other staple supplements have always been whey/casein protein, creatine and fish oils all daily. I used this for both lifting and cardio workouts.
When it comes to the type of BCAA products I have used, I have tried a plethora of different "ratios" as well as products with just BCAAs, some BCAA plus a few electrolytes, and other with the whole kitchen sink of ingredients added in.

This label itself is flashy and looks true to the Cellucor line of supplements. I like it, but am always more interested at what is inside. As the label lists, this has a LOT of things added into it and at first glance, I see some specific amounts of ingredients, some prop blends, and your typical artificial junk in the list of other ingredients at the bottom.
The first section of specified amount of ingredients are your B vitamins and electrolytes; Vitamin B12 is the only ingredient here over your daily allowance at a hefty 535%, and all the others are quite low per serving. I really don't know that I would mind them excluding these at all, saving a little on price of manufacturing to put it toward increasing other areas of the profile.
Everything else is prop blends broken into four sections:
BCAA matrix- The 5 grams of instantized BCAAs are good. The mixing of this product was fine and I like to see things easy and quick to mix and start drinking. The only downfall I see to this, as that one of my favorite amino blends have 8 grams per serving, so I did have concerns to whether or not this would be enough at just one scoop for me.
Hydration formula- A long list here of things like taurine and glycerol make up the 3 grams, but again, I use 1500mgs of taurine for the amount I mix into my own pre-workout formulas, so I question that for my own body and preferences this blend might be under-dosed at one scoop. Though I like the idea of helping increase hydration and the addition of ingredients like the glycerol to increase that water into the muscles, I do not think this section had enough to be effective. Also, this is another place where I personally would like to just see taurine and glycerol and get rid of the remainder of these ingredients a few of which when googled are "Common food additives." In my opinion, that makes them appear cheep and unnecessary to the profile, and whether or not they make a difference in the overall effectiveness of this intra I cannot say, but my guess would be that Cellucor could do away with them and the majority of users would not miss them.

Alpha-Amino Complex- A fancy little 2500mg of micronized aminos (great for mixing purposes) and a positive bonus to any intra "BCAA" product. I always like to see higher amounts, but overall this is a good part of the profile by Cellucor.

Alpha Amino Xtreme blend- So basically caffeine, and fancy names for more Vitamin B 6 and 12. I like caffeine in small amounts for intra workout, (by small personally, I like less than 150mgs) and I find that it really tends to boost my cardio workouts, but I am not sure why they just didn't put the caffeine in here and included how much of the vitamins are in this blend as part of the listed ingredients in the beginning of the profile.

Overall, I could do with less and more in this profile. I want less of the confusing potentially under-dosed ingredients, and more of the good stuff. I don't love prop blends, unless it appears as though the amount of all items in the blend will be sufficiently included from the total amount of these ingredients and by the looks of this profile, I don't think this is case for this particular product.

The flavor I was sent was Watermelon. It was unlike other watermelon flavors I had, was not unpleasant, but did have a slightly off aftertaste. I almost thought that maybe I hadn't rinsed out my shaker completely when I washed it and got a slightly soapy aftertaste. After the first few times of using this, I think I got used to it and never really noticed it much after that (I did consciously make sure the shakers were fully rinsed and am positive that it was from the supplement).
The mixibility of this of pretty good compared to other intra/bcaas. It took an initial shake and a second quick shaking after things settled but after that there was no froth and only a few granules on the bottom of the bottle. The instantized ingredients are the way to go with BCAA/amino products and I don't like foam in my shaker ever.
Dosing is simple, one scoop per serving, but (see effectiveness below) as I didn't always follow these directions.

Most BCAA products work well for me and this one did its job, but my workouts seemed to benefit best with a heaping scoop or about 1.25 scoops. I definitely notice that I have better endurance with the use of BCAA products and the ones that have added ingredients, like B vitamins, a little caffeine and other goodies like the hydration blend in this particular product, all work better compared to a plain blend of BCAAs.
The product did work, but it did not work at just one scoop and that turns me off from trying it again in the future, unless the profile reflects some changes.
I did like that there was a small amount of caffeine, because it meant I could utilize is for short jogs and this really was where the product worked best for me. I easily shook it up, hit the pavement and with all the bouncing it did not froth up insanely and gave me a steady flow of endurance enhancers.
Overall, the effectiveness of this product at 1.25 scoops solidifies for me that I like 8 grams of BCAAs, some B vitamins, electrolytes and ~125mgs of caffeine as my ideal intra. I cannot comment that this reduced soreness, as I don't typically get insane DOMS from lifting, and I tend to find that excluding other supplements, like fish oil or casein cause more soreness than lifting without any aminos.

A 30 serving tub is widely available, on average online for $39.99, and currently there is a 20% off deal at bodybuilding.com. I tend ot see deals for BCAAs often and larger supplement companies running them more frequently as well. Being Cellucor, you could probably find this at a discounted rate and sometimes within a bundle of some type, making it more affordable. At $39.99, you are looking at over $1.30 per serving, and for me, it was closer to $2 with using more than one scoop per workout. If this was the intra to end all intras, then I wouldn't mind the price tag, but for me that seems like a bit higher than I would like to spend on what I consider more of a workout "enhancer." I can still go about lifting with water for an intra, but I know those workouts will be a bit more taxing mentally and physically..it's all a pro/con you have to decide for yourself.

Side Effects

No side effects from this product were seen. I do want to point out that there were no GI issues (ie. no burping or stomach issues during workouts) and I have noticed this slightly with some other intra and bcaa products that I have used. I don't want to have a 2nd taste of a supplement..once is enough for me!

Conclusion

This supplement was easy to use, easy to carry around in my gym bag and did an OK job. Once I got over the odd aftertaste it worked like any other BCAA product would, but not quite as well as some other did at the suggested dose range. This makes the product a little less cost effective, as I needed to increase the amount used per workout, but still a solid product overall, by a large supplement company. I always recommend trying new things to see if they work for you, and if you see a good price on this it would definitely be worth a go.

September 15, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Soreness
  • Quality Ingredients
  • Limited Dyes
Good evening SR, up for review today is Cellucor's Alpha Amino Xtreme. I haven't had much interaction with Cellucor's products over the past 9-12 months and it appears they have released every possible combination of product in the book. With multiple versions of their C4 product and Amino products, sometimes it is hard to keep up!

As for the product

Ingredients 8.5 You have your amino acid/BCAA product here plus the Xtreme edition. You have a solid amount of BCAAs, including Leucine in varying nitrate and peptide form. Additionally, you have a solid hydration blend, an EAA blend and low dose energy blend. As you can see, I wrote blend alot. This is Cellulor, most of their products were blend based. This is the way they do things at Cellulor, I am not going to knock them for doing that. They have a company to run and if they want to not disclose amounts, they are well within their right.

Overall the profile is solid. You are getting GMP compliant and quality ingredients.

While I liked the profile, I did subtract points for the energy blend. It makes the overall product much less versatile. I try to limit the amount of stimulants I take in 1 day, so this made it difficult. I had to adjust the amount of pre workout, as I do not like to go over 350MG of caffeine per day. I know that may sound weak to some of you stimulant junkies, but I don't like the effect as much as others.

Lastly, there are dyes.. This is Cellucor, it wouldn't be Cellucor without the dyes. They are not overwhelming like other products, but are noticeable.

Dosing: One scoop intra workout, simple

Effectiveness 8.75: This performed great. As an overall amino acids product it produced solid top tier results. Soreness was reduced with this product as the amount of the BCAA/EAA blends were effectively dosed. Additionally, the hydration blend provided solid electrolytes throughout the workout to ensure no cramping occurred.

Additionally the low dose energy blend provided clean and smooth limited energy throughout the workout after the pre workout wore off.

Overall, I am was impressed with the results, nothing earth shattering here though in terms of results.

Taste 10: WATERMELLON. TASTED GREAT! A big improvement over their previous watermelon flavor from Cellucor. The dyes as stated were not overdone and the waste wasn't so "punch you in the mouth" as last time around with their COR-PERFORMANCE line.

Value 7.75: This is priced fairly in my estimation. It is roughly $36 for 30 servings, so not the best value by inline with where the industry is going.

Conclusion 8.25: Overall, Cellucor has a solid amino acid product that combines necessary ingredients with a low stimulant energy blend. While the stimulant blend may turn off some people as the product loses some versatility, it still be can combined in your supplementation stack for a solid piece of the puzzle. Bladeski seal of approval.
  • Watermelon: 10/10