Alpha Amino Gen4 Reviews

By: Cellucor

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA
Alpha Amino Gen4 is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by Cellucor. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

August 17, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Hydration
  • Good Ingredient Profile
  • Good Endurance
  • Decent Pumps
  • Well Being Feeling
  • Proprietary Blend
  • Slightly Expensive

BCAAs have been a solid staple in my daily supplement stack and I've had the chance to try out 4 tubs of Alpha Amino to compare it to other BCAA products I've tried in the past. BCAAs are still somewhat inconclusive in their effectiveness for their anti-catabolic effects, but I personally feel like they do provide significant benefits and peace of mind to know that I'm getting the most out of my daily workout.

BCAA 3-1-1 ratio (5g/serving): This is obviously the main ingredient for an amino acid supplement and I feel like they followed suit with the normal ratio and dosing amounts compared to other similar amino acid products. BCAAs are the main source of fuel that the body taps into when it decides to utilize protein for energy production, so by supplementing BCAAs intraworkout the idea is that instead of breaking down muscle the body can use amino acids from this product instead, which avoids every fitness guy's worst fear.... muscular catabolism! :[
HydroMax blend: This offers different sources of electrolytes (sodium & potassium) to insure that the body's muscular system is running optimally. Nothing a banana and salt couldn't really provide, but it's nice to not have to supplement electrolyte balancing nutrients on the side and to get it from an all-in-one intra-workout product.
Alpha-Amino Complex: Includes glutamine for recovery and several nitric oxide vasodilation supplements (citrulline, arginine, etc) to provide an extra muscular pump during your workout. Not many BCAA products go out of their way to add these supplements in their blend so it's a nice add-on. Also there are very few preworkouts that utilize the clinical dosing of supplements like citrulline, so getting additional citrulline from this product can help bump up the dosing to a more clinically relevant dose. However, since many of the ingredients in this product are label as proprietary blends it is tough to really estimate the amount that you actually get.

Great Taste (Grape), mixes very well with water but the directions say to use 8oz, which I feel is a little too concentrated and strong so I usually just mix it with around 24oz and drink it frequently throughout my lift. I think the dosing is also appropriate and the general norm for a BCAA product.

I do think that using this product in conjunction with my preworkout (Nitraflex) does enhance the vasodilation pump effect from the added nitric oxide boosters. I have no way of knowing exactly how effective the BCAAs are during my workout, but they do taste great and give me peace of mind that my muscles are staying in an anabolic state.

I think that this product is a little on the expensive side since the cost per serving is around $1, which is kind of pricey for a BCAA supplement but it does provide additional benefits from the HydroMax and Alpha-Amino Complex add-ons that do increase the products value.

Side Effects

None that I can think of.

Conclusion

Alpha Amino by Cellucor is a solid BCAA product with added benefits for intra-workout supplementation that help with electrolyte balance and muscular pumps, but I do feel like it is a bit overpriced for what you get. Also not knowing the amounts of the ingredients in the proprietary blend makes it difficult to know exactly what your paying extra for. I do think it's a good product though and would easily jump at buying it for a reduced price but I will likely settle for a cheaper and more basic BCAA supplement in the future.
  • Grape: 8/10

November 13, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Hydration
  • Good Ingredient Profile
  • Good Endurance
  • Heavy On Artificial Dyes
  • Proprietary Blend
Thank you to the representatives of Cellucor for allowing me the opportunity to try Alpha Amino. Their proactive marketing is one of the main reasons why Cellucor has been able to grow to the forefront of the supplement industry.

Intro & Expectations:
I had been recommending the Alpha Amino to my customers at GNC based on its ingredient profile, but had never had the opportunity to try it until now. I used Alpha Amino during my workouts, hoping to improve my endurance and increase the amount of weight I could do near the end of my workouts. My workouts generally consisted of 15 plus sets, and my diet was a good 500-700 calories above maintenance.

Profile:
Alpha Amino packs most of the ingredients I could want, and reasonably expect, in an intra-workout formula. Obviously, there are BCAAs; five grams worth of them. While I am satisfied with the dosage, I wish Cellucor would disclose their ratios on the label. The leucine comes in three forms, including leucine nitrate, which in my experience is great for pumps and strength. The question is: is it included in amounts sufficient enough to make a genuine difference? Thanks to proprietary blends, I cannot tell you. Next is the "Alpha Hydration Formula," which is where this product really stands out. Not only does it include electrolytes, which many companies are doing these days, but also some standout ingredients such as raw coconut water, glycerol powder, and chia seed extract. The last ingredient complex is the "Alpha-Amino Complex," which consists of an under-dosed blend of glutamine, citrulline, and essential amino acids. I love the addition of EAAs due to their potential to increase protein synthesis and prevent muscle breakdown. However, I would have much rather seen beta alanine rather than glutamine, as this is supposed to be a "performance" amino.

I had been told by a coworker that this product makes a legitimate difference in hydration, and he was not lying. At the end of my workouts, I felt better. My muscles felt less deflated and achy, and my body felt capable of pushing itself further. This was not always the case, as my muscular endurance was not as significantly improved. But, it simply made it easier to get through my workouts. On the strength front, I cannot say this product offered all that much of a boost. However, you cannot exactly expect an amino product to help increase your one rep max. I did not notice much of a pump from the nitrates; nor was I really looking for one. If you are looking for an added pump, you still may want to give this a try because it does have potential, at least. Recovery was noticeable at two scoops. At one scoop, it was too difficult to identify a difference.

Usage & Taste:
I started at one scoop, but saw much improved results at two. I settled in at one and a half, so not to use up my supply too quickly. I found a sweet spot at ten ounces of water per scoop, which I felt was sweet enough for my taste buds but not too much to where it tasted like cough syrup. I had the grape flavor, and it was very enjoyable. The taste was definitely a grower; at first it did taste like cough syrup. Grape can be hard to nail because of the fact that we automatically correlate it with the nasty crap we were force-fed while sick as children. However, Cellucor did a great job here, as they always do with flavoring. I also sampled the blue raspberry, and enjoyed it just as much.

Value:
This stuff isn't cheap. Cellucor goes above and beyond with the formula, and you're going to have to go above and beyond your budget to purchase it. Honestly, I think it would e foolish to buy this product for use any time other than intra-workout. If you are looking for a product to use post and throughout the day, look elsewhere or you will be wasting your money. There are other products that are going to be just as beneficial for recovery or preventing catabolism, and you won't have to break the bank to buy them. However, if you are looking for that intra-workout boost, the ingredients provided here are going to be much more worthy of your money. Overall, I think AA provides middling value, considering the quality of the formula and the premium you'll have to pay to get it.

In conclusion, this is a great performance-oriented amino acid product. It is not going to provide you the same muscular endurance as a straight beta alanine product, but its hydration blend works wonders. Give this stuff a shot if you need a little etra help getting through those grueling workouts.
  • Icy Blue Razz : 8/10
  • Grape: 8/10

November 11, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Hydration
  • Good Ingredient Profile
  • Good Recovery
  • Heavy On Artificial Dyes
  • Strong Artificial Flavor
  • Proprietary Blend
-Intro-
First off thanks to Cellucor for providing Alpha Amino for review, and to supplementreviews.com for making this possible.

So far I've been lifting for about 4 years now, and have used all sort of supplements. Have been using this product Alpha Amino for a while as my intraworkout supplement during my workouts and some of my sports. I stick with lower rep workouts, and I typically do overhead carries, or farmers carries to finish them off. Good BCAA products are important to me to keep up my endurance throughout a workout, and to finish strong. I use Defcon1 2nd Strike as my pre, and usually a whey protein at some point throughout the day after my workout. My diet is a simple intermittent fasting, with my main foods being eggs, fish and greens.

-Ingredient Profile: 8/10
This has a little bit of everything in it, the dosing isn't exact because of everything being in a proprietary blend. From what I can tell, there are 5 grams of BCAA's at a 3.1.1 ratio and they are all micronized to ensure better mixing. Some interesting things they added are HydroMax and Raw Coconut Water to aid in hydration, they also through in some glutamine at the end. There are three prop blends, the first being:
Alpha BCAA Matrix: 5 Grams
Alpha Hydration Formula: 3 Grams
Alpha Amino Complex: 2.5 Grams

So you can somewhat see how this product is laid out and what it is going for.

-Taste: 7/10
Got the fruit punch, it was okay not a huge fan of it. The taste is a little sweet, and has an odd artificial aftertaste.

-Mixability: 9/10
Mixes really easily, drop it in the shaker and it pretty much mixes itself.

-Dosing:
Easily dosed, at 1 scoop of 12.8 grams with 30 servings total, drop it in your shaker and sip throughout the workout, or anytime during that day its simple.

-Effectiveness: 8/10
First off I train fasted, so I need a good BCAA supplement to aid in my workouts without having carbs to fuel me.

During: Alpha Amino worked really well, I noticed that I had more energy left at the end of my workouts and I didn't get as gassed during farmers carries as I normally would. I also used this while playing basketball and it really helped out with that as well. Usually during a workout about 30 minutes into it my energy would start to plummet, however with Alpha Amino I was able to sustain that energy longer with lead to better lifts and an overall better workout.

Recovery: This helped a little with recovery, and I noticed I wasn't quite as sore as normal when I had this during my workouts.

Overall effectiveness was solid, I think this is an above average supplement that'll do its job and nothing more.

-Value: 7.5/10
$30 for 30 servings, so $1 per serving. This is about the industry average for a BCAA product with some added ingredients to it. Would I pay this much for it? Eh, not really. I prefer BCAA supplements that can double as a caffeine free pre workout like Blackstone Labs Resurgence, but Alpha Amino would definitely be on my list.

-Side Effects-
Eh, those dyes had my stomach hurting every now and then, plus this made my teeth hurt which was rather odd. Now I understand that they wouldn't be putting in dyes unless their customer base wanted them. It is somewhat nice to have a cool looking color in your shaker, but I do not think consuming dyes is worth it the coolness of the color. I use an aluminum shaker, so I could care less about color.

-Conclusion-
For a intra workout or just a good tasting BCAA drink to have throughout your day, Cellucor put together a pretty nice product in Alpha Amino. the only things I would change is the lessen up on the dyes, and maybe drop the price a little. Other than that this is a good product for a decent price, and it doesn't hurt that the bottle looks freakin awesome.
  • Fruit Punch: 7/10

Overall
Overall
5.5
6.7
5.6
  November 8, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Hydration
  • Decent Recovery
  • Good Endurance
  • Heavy On Artificial Dyes
  • Strong Artificial Flavor
  • Proprietary Blend

Hey SR here to review a product that already has a ton of reviews in Cellucor Alpha Aminos Gen4. Aminos are are staple of my workouts and I take them intra, sipping throughout my workouts. A good intra for me provides a lot of bcaas to help muscle recovery, hydration to extend workouts, and maybe some pump as well. Alpha amino has ingredients to hit all of these areas so I definitely wanted to give it a run when I saw it on the TROOP page. I used this product for two weeks during a strength bulk and two weeks during a cardio/cut. On to the review.

Overall, the profile is solid. Three prop blends (boo), consisting of a bcaa matrix, hydration matrix, and an amino matrix. In the BCAA matrix the leucine is dosed in 3 ways with leucine, leucine peptides, and leucine nitrate. I like the nitrate in hopes that helps for a pump during your workout. At 5 grams bcaas though the dosing is just average, and I have had a lot of success with products have that have 8-10 grams.

The next matrix would be the hydration formula and I feel this is the best portion of their profile. At 3 grams you're getting a lot of help in terms of hydration with good ingredients such as coconut water, hydromax, and the usual electrolytes. Even a new one like chia seed! Who knew? 3 grams of hydration ingredients and hydromax to help with a pump is a solid blend though.

The last matrix is made up of micronized aminos completing a full eaa matrix, which I love as my favorite intra products also provide this. However, at a 2.5 gram prop blend, I don't think you're getting very effective doses of these at all. Disappointing.

The last is a matrix not listed, but there is a healthy matrix of dyes, flavoring, etc. if you add up all the blends, there are 10.5 grams of product. The scoop is 12.8 grams however. That's a lot of extras at 2.8 grams. Bigger than the amino matrix. As many have stated, these products taste very good but also heavy on dyes. I don't like this at all.

I really, really hate the dyes and extras, but you can't deny the taste. I received the blue razz flavor, which I normally despise, but it tasted great. A little foamy but better than most intra products I've had. Dosing is easy as it's one scoop whenever really, I chose intra to help with DOMS and pump.

Some areas worked well, some didn't. The pump I was hoping to receive with the nitrates and hydromax were virtually non existent. Disappointing as that's their purpose for being in there. I did receive a slight relief in terms of reduced DOMS during the strength and bulking part of my run, but no where near the relief that Amino IV aor Modern BCAA provide. The area that this product helped me the most was in terms of hydration. During my cutting cycle it did help me keep hydrated and going during my 40 min rather intense HIIT cardio sessions. If you're looking for a product to help you there this was very solid.

5.5

$30 for 30 servings is just way too steep for what you're getting. At 5 grams bcaas, 2.5 eaas, and hydration there are just much better options out there. A lot of products that are well under a $1 a serving provide much more aminos, better DOMS relief for this product to compete for me.

Side Effects

None instantly visible in terms of health, but stained shaker cups prove there are just too much dyes and extra in this product to be putting in your body.

Conclusion

Excellent hydration, but just falls short in just about every other aspect. The dyes and extras are just too much to consume especially when put a premium price. I would not buy again, just better options out there.

Overall
Overall
5.8
  November 7, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Ingredient Profile
  • Proprietary Blend
A big thank you to the Cellucor group and the cat-daddies at SR.COM for giving us the chance to try out these full containers and provide unbiased feedback. Thanks for keeping all this real!

So I am a big fan of intraworkout/BCAA type products. Everyone knows that your body needs to recover from workouts and I think that supplementing during workouts, when your body is under the most stress, is a completely logical and effective way to build strength and muscle. When I saw the ALPHA AMINO come up to try I was looking forward to running it due to Cellucor's widespread product availability. I thought, "If I like this stuff it would be an easy go to for me because it is EVERYWHERE." Maybe it could turn into a go to type product for me. Let's see how that worked out...

Well - it is all a big fat prop blend. You have three matrices - Alpha-BCAA Matrix 5,000mg, Alpha-Hydration Formula 3,000mg, and Alpha-Amino Complex 2,500mg

I will type about some of the neater things that make this product stand out versus its competition. There are a couple of interesting pump inducing components here.

Leucine Nitrate is in the ALPHA BCAA matrix. The nitrates are supposed to induce pumps. There are 3 types of leucine in this matrix. Also to note, Cellucor states that this matrix is a 2:1:1 ratio. so 2.5 grams of the mixed leucine and 1.25 of he isoleucine and valine

The alpha hydration matrix contains HydroMax glycerol. "HydroMax glycerol is a cutting-edge supplement ingredient, gaining popularity in pre-workout and intra-workout supplements. It is used to hydrate the body, improve endurance, and increase muscular pumps during physical activity." So another pump adder in this formula. Again - prop blend so we dont know how much but we do know it is in there.

Read more about hydromax glycerol at: https://content.tigerfitness.com/hydromax-glycerol-non-stim-pre-workout-ingredient/

The last bit of the matrix is the severely underdosed Alpha Amino Complex. it is a hodgepodge of 10 micronized aminos. 250mg each? ya think? You will never know....

Taste - yuck. Between the dyes and the over-sweetened flavor this one was hard to suck down. I would mix it with a full blender bottle and have to continue to dilute it during my training sessions. It mixed pretty good but it was foamy, a little. Dosing was simple, one scoop. It was like kool aid, only it wasn't kool and it didn't seem to aid me. It was just super sweet...

The flavor and aftertaste was nauseating.

For all the pump additives I didnt see much in the way of pumps while running this. I was really looking forward to seeing the effects of the NO3-T and hydromax but they both fell short. Obviously, the aminos helped with recovery but this product was not what I was expecting. It really fell short for me.

Value is solid. I just checked it out and if you buy two of these on BB.com you can save $15. That takes it to 60 servings for $45. Do the math on the and it is $0.75 per serving. Not too bad. The only problem is there are other alternatives out there that are slightly cheaper and more palatable.

Side Effects

I did get nauseous from time to time from the overbearing artificial flavor. It was....yucky....

Conclusion

It missed the mark for me and with a plethora of other products out there you should probably try something else before coming to this.
  • Fruit Punch: 1/10

November 3, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Hydration
  • Decent Recovery
  • Heavy On Artificial Dyes
  • Strong Artificial Flavor
  • Proprietary Blend

I would like to begin by thanking SR and Cellucor for allowing me to review Alpha Amino. I've taken plenty of Amino products in this past year and have set up a certain baseline for what a decent Amino product does for me.

Here is the total profile for Alpha Amino.

The profile includes an ALPHA BCAA Matrix of 5g at 2:1:1 ratio. So just like in many other products you will receive 2.5g Leucine + 1.25g of L-Isoleucine + 1.25g of L-Valine.
A good inclusion is also the Alpha Hydration Formula of 3g which has the Taurine, Hydromax and Raw Coconut water. I cannot comment on that formula however, as I do not know exactly how much of what we are getting here.

Unlike others, I did not notice any increase in Pump from using this product and to be quite honest the Alpha-Amino Matrix (which includes Citrulline and Arginine among others) seems to be underdosed.

The taste was ok at best, the artificial dyes really killed the flavour for me. I hate dyes and their inclusion could have been avoided.
Mixability was fairly simple and quick, no clumping and within a couple of shakes in your bottle all the powder has dissolved.
Dosing, I did 1 scoop with 12oz of water Intra-Workout. That is it.

So although Aminos are a hard product to gauge, I had noticed Alpha Amino doing a good job from the get go. The sweating really escalated when I would take this product as opposed to just water. I don't know if it's a sign of good hydration or what, but overall I felt better after sweating it out in the gym while sipping Alpha Amino. My DOMS were reduced, nothing amazing here, legs still stiff and sore after hitting hard on leg day, but all my muscles would recover faster and I was ready to go back to the gym quicker.

Now this runs at about $1 a scoop. To be honest even with the inclusion of Hydromax and the Raw Coconut Water( and the awesome sweats) it might be a bit steep for only 5g of actuall BCAAs. Other products such as Xtend can be bought in larger cases, have fantastic flavours without crazy strong dyes, yield more BCAAs and cost about 54 cents per serving.

Side Effects

None, besides having to force yourself to drink heavy dyes!

Conclusion

Overall a good product, if Cellucor took out the dyes and made larger containers with more servings at a cheaper price, I can definitely see myself using Alpha Amino in the future, but as of now i'll stick to other BCAAs.
  • Icy Blue Razz : 6/10

6.9
  October 31, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Hydration
  • Decent Recovery
  • Good Ingredient Profile
  • Good Endurance
  • Heavy On Artificial Dyes
  • Proprietary Blend
Here we go, a review of Alpha Amino; my final Cellucor product to review. Cellucor, I'm sure you've heard of them! For being such a well-known company, it's pretty cool of them to give us reviewers a chance to try some of their products. Amino Drink powders are a luxury item of sorts. No, you don't need them, but they are nice to have. I enjoy them during workouts, and also during long shifts at work when I'm not gonna eat for a while. Besides, sipping on a nice, tasty drink is always more enjoyable then just plain old water!

PROFILE-7
I felt this was a pretty thorough profile, with some decent dosages and well-thought ingredients. On the label there are three different blends, each split into its own "prop" blend. The first is an "Alpha-BCAA" matrix that has 5000mg of several different Leucine variations. The "Alpha-Hydration" formula is the one I liked (on paper, at least). This 3000mg blend had micronized Taurine, Hydromax Glycerol powder, Raw Coconut water, Chia seed extract, and some other goodies. I felt these ingredients helped with hydration during gym time, and seemed to keep thirst at bay. The final blend is a 2500mg "Alpha-amino" complex, which has your basic aminos like Glutamine, L-Alanine, L-Citrulline, and some others. No surprises here.

This product mixed better than most amino drinks usually do, with less foaming and settling then I expected. I was sent the watermelon flavor, and DAMN it was good! It tasted like a watermelon jolly rancher! Not too sweet, just right. But the dyes were a bit much.

EFFECTIVENESS-7
Aminos can be somewhat difficult to rate. You don't feel a caffeine rush like preworkouts, and you don't see huge body composition differences. What I did get was better muscle endurance during my workouts. Muscle fatigue, and general fatigue, was minimized. I had shorter recovery between sets. I usually respond well to Citrulline as a pump product, but I don't feel this gave me any "pump" during my workouts, so it may be underdosed. One thing that caught my attention; I noticed my thirst during workouts was greatly reduced. I usually fill my 20oz shaker cup from the fountain about three times during a workout. Sipping on this at the gym, I'd maybe refill my cup just once. I felt less thirsty and just more hydrated when I used this intra-workout. I think it slightly reduced soreness, but not a whole lot.

SIDE EFFECTS-9
There's very little negative to say about this. Even the flavor didn't get old for me!

VALUE-7
This ranges from between $20-30 dollars a container. Not bad for 30 scoops, if you can find it on sale.

OVERALL-7.5
Like I said before, I didn't expect much from the flashy, chrome-bottle, big advertising, Costco-Selling, Cellucor supplement line. This is one product I missed when it was gone! I'd much prefer this over say, a sports drink, for intra-workout. A tasty, zero-carb, zero-cal, zero-sugar drink that helps with endurance and muscle fatigue. What's not to like?

6.8
  October 29, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Hydration
  • Decent Recovery
  • Decent Pumps
  • Well Being Feeling
  • Heavy On Artificial Dyes
  • Proprietary Blend
Cellucor is a well liked and enjoyed supplement company for many including many here on SR.com.
The last Bcaa I tried from them was pretty good so I was expecting nothing less from them here.

Profile.
Well yea its a prop blend , but it is broken down into three parts. I do not mind it when they do this. All I ask is if it has caffeine in it to please post that individually . Overall the profile is not bad. Nothing really pops out at me that really makes me want to run to it either though. I do like a Bcaa with a hydration formula. There are some things I feel are underdosed on this but overall if you are not crazy picky it is not bad.
The one thing though, Is, come on guys, easy on the dyes. I will leave it at that.

I used this as a Intra and it performed as well as I thought it should, no I did not want to just keep going and going and assault the iron for hours on end. But this did help me stay hydrated and seemed to keep my recovery on par with what I wanted out of it. The program I am on at the moment is not one that does not require supersets and strip sets that typically drain me more than normal. I did still have some soreness but if you are pushing hard enough ,no matter what supplement you take , you should still be somewhat sore in my opinion. With the addition on Nitrates and the glycerol, and the addition of the cellucor Cn3 this did provide some decent pumps and muscle fullness.

Taste and mixing
I had the blue Razz and I really like this one. It was nice to sip on during the workout, Although sometimes I would be very thirsty after drinking it, I feel this was from the sweetness of the flavor, not the ingredients. Mixing was really awesome!. Few shakes and boom it was mixed, but this brings a question to mind. Most Bcaa that are very effective for me have a high leucine count tend to be foamy. So this had me wondering just how much was in this.

Value 6.8
You can get this for around 30 bucks for a 30 serving count tub. I used this only on training days and only as a intra at one scoop the entire tub, so this seemed to last for a good bit. I feel for what I used it for and IF I have extra cash and could maybe spot a good deal for a touch less I would certainly buy again.

Overall
Not a bad supplement for what I used it for, but I still was not blown away or surprised by this . What I mean is when I mentioned the mixing being so well, it makes me wonder if it was truly as good as it was hyped up to be due to the fact that most high leucine bcaa's are not the best mixing supplement around. I appreciate the opportunity to try a cellucor product again, so huge thanks to them. But if they are reading this, we really do not need the dyes.
  • Icy Blue Razz : 8/10

October 28, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Hydration
  • Good Ingredient Profile
  • Heavy On Artificial Dyes
  • Proprietary Blend

I have to lead with one epic observation...
Nothing tops opening a container and finding the scoop at the top, right? But what comes close is opening a container and having it actually be full. It's like a bag of chips... why make it and market it by size if half of it is air? Anyway, Cellucor gets extra points for that.

BCAAs
The Alpha BCAA Matrix has 5g with a 2:1:1 ratio, including three types of leucine. The leucine types are an interesting bunch here, especially when these bonds are for ideal absorption: Instantized leucine, Leucine Nitrate and Leucine Peptides. Isoleucine and Valine are both micronized as well. If my junior high math hasn't failed me, the proprietary blend compels me to conclude 2.5g of leucine, 1.25g each for isoleucine and valine.

Electrolytes and Hydration
Alpha Hydration Matrix
3g matrix consisting of Micronized Taurine, HydroMax Glycerol (a personal favorite), Raw Coconut Powder, Dipotassium phosphate, Disodium phosphate, Dimagnesium phosphate and Chia seed extract. This is a pretty full deck when it comes to hydration ingredients. Any combination of two or three of these items would make a decent bunch. The electrolytes are an interesting 2:1 phosphate bond, assuming the phosphate bond is to encourage true muscular hydration.

N.O. and EAAs
Alpha-Amino Complex
2.5g blend of Glutamine, Citrulline, Arginine and the complete set of EAAs, all micronized. My guess is that the Glutamine carries a huge part of this blend... giving the citrulline, arginine and EAAs very little doses for effect here.

Lemon Lime is the primary flavor being reviewed here. It succeeded in hitting my expectations squarely on the nose. Not too sweet but by no means dull. If it went a tick too sweet, it would fail to have the lemon lime sourly tart. If it took a pinch off, the flavor would die. In fact, the taste is exactly like the Lemon Lime flavor of MuscleMeds Amino Decanate. I give it a solid 8/10. I sampled Fruit Punch and was surprisingly not a fan. Hopefully Grape is as good as I hear.

Mixes fairly well... A little foam and settling which shouldn't come as a shock with some of the ingredients. Dye has become an important element these days and yes it has a consistent dye... Nothing you'll need to wipe out of the shaker though.

It behaves as any BCAA+EAA should. I use my aminos first thing in the morning as part of my fasted pre-workout stack. No wasted muscle or flat performance. The hydration is top notch and serves me well. The water pump goes well with thanks to a [what I imagine is] a decent amount of HydroMax and Taurine. The nitric oxide falls flat thanks to the pixy dusting of citrulline and arginine, under the shroud of a proprietary blend.

It's tough want to pay a normal price for a 30-serving container of Alpha Amino... the 50-serving container does seems tempting though, but much fewer retailers carry that size. On the other hand, if you need a sport BCAA+EAA that is stacked with a load of solid ingredients (regardless of dosing), this can do it.

Side Effects

No known or experienced side effects unless the user has an issue with particular dyes.

Conclusion

I carry the expectation that BCAAs will do what BCAAs do, and that's what Alpha Amino does. Cellucor claims clinically proven 2:1:1 BCAA ratio. However, I'm seeing brands make epic tasting BCAA supplements that go with only 2.5g of leucine. If we're gonna go with clinically proven, where's the 3.5g or more of leucine? Ok enough soapbox.

The BCAA+EAA and water pump aspects are what makes Alpha Amino worthwhile, but look elsewhere for the N.O.

Thanks for your time. As usual, questions, comments and critiques are encouraged.
  • Lemon Lime: 8/10

October 28, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Hydration
  • Decent Recovery
  • Decent Pumps
  • Heavy On Artificial Dyes
  • Strong Artificial Flavor

Cellucor has been very generous with their products for the TROOPers to try out, so just want to start off by saying thanks again for allowing me t try this out. I have used Cellucors Beta BCAA in the past and really enjoyed it, so I decided to give this a shot and see where it stacked up with that and other BCAA products I have used.

1st thing that pops out is 3 different prop blends, now I know why some companies would use prop blends but I just don't see the need for it in a product like this. They threw a little bit of everything into this and telling us exactly how much of everything or at least the more popular ingredients I don't think is going to give away their super secret formula.
They start out with 5 grams of BCAAs I don't see a ratio, but it contains 3 types of Leucine, and then micronized isoleucine and valine.
Next they have a hydration formula made up of 3 grams of a few ingredients but most important to me Hydromax Glycerol and Raw Coconut Powder. I have found that I respond very well to Hydromax brand of glycerol, it helps my pumps stay fuller longer along with other benefits. I started following Kris Gethin and a lot of his workouts awhile back and had some good success and one thing he swears by is coconut powder/water, Im not a big fan of regular coconut water but I have found that when included in supplements it helps to keep my hydrated more than anything else I have used.
Lastly on the label is 2.5 grams of a laundry list of other Amino Acids all of which are severely underdosed and frankly im not sure why they sprinkled so many into this at those doses.

I requested and received Lemon Lime flavor....now Cellucor when it comes to PWOs, BCAAs, and other supps has always been pretty close to perfect when it comes to flavoring. I had tried and really loved the LL flavor in Beta BCAA, but with this one I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy it. The 1st day I used it a guy in my gym saw the jug and was like you need to mix it with something by itself its awful. Well I gave it a shot solo a few times and when using Intra it was just too sweet even with more water than recommended. After about a week I mixed it with LL powerade, Gatorade, and Cool Blue Gatorade and found it to be much more enjoyable with all 3 than just water.
Mixability was always great, very minimal foam and not much sediment leftover after drinking.
Dosing mix with 8-12oz of water or beverage of choice and consume whenever, recommended not to exceed 4 servings a day.

The necessity of Amino products is always in question, but if you can find them for the right price I think they do come in handy, especially when on a cut. While I was using this I was bulking and going through some pretty tough strength and hypertrophy work so DOMS should have been present. For the most part this seemed to keep DOMS to a manageable level. Ive had better and ive had worse. The Hydromax glycerol did help maintain a good pump on my hypertrophy days and the coconut powder really kept the cramps I usually experience at bay. I didn't notice an increase in endurance or recovery between sets.

This can be found on average of about $30 for 30 servings. BB.com frequently has 20% off or BOGOs on this brand so you can get it for cheaper on occasion but that's the norm. Most quality BCAA products are around $25 for 30 servings so this may be a little more expensive but not too bad, are the few extras in here worth a couple extra bucks? For me I don't think so and I could only see myself buying this if it was on a BOGO or other extreme sale.

Side Effects

No side effects, but come on Cellucor the product does not need to match the color of the flavor DYES DYES DYES everytime.

Conclusion

I would say I had a positive experience with Alpha Amino but I wasn't blown away or overly impressed. For the most part it was just one of those products that im not sure how I felt about it one day I would say to myself I think this is growing on me but then another id want to pour it out in the sink and fill up with one of my other intras. If I had a different flavor and enjoyed sipping it intra that might help as well. I cant say I would neccassarily recommend this to somebody, but I don't have anything really negative to say about it either.
  • Lemon Lime: 6/10