Alpha Amino has been reported as discontinued. See the replacement:

Alpha Amino Reviews

By: Cellucor

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA
Alpha Amino is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by Cellucor. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

Alpha Amino has been reported as discontinued. See the replacement:

May 6, 2015

• Good Recovery
This had been an amino product I have been wanting to try for awhile. Not much a fan of Cellucor products in general but this one looked to be pretty decent I thought. I had the old version of this not the new G4 version. I was able to get a good deal on it so I thought I would give it a try. From the looks of this product it looked to be very promising but had a few drawbacks for me.

Ingredients:
Serving size 1 scoop
Servings per container 30

Total Carbohydrates 0g
Sugar 0mg
Calcium 19mg
Magnesium (as Dimagnesium Phosphate) 12mg
Phosphorous (as Dipotassium Phosphate, Disodium Phosphate, Dimagnesium Phosphate) 60mg
Potassium (as Dipotassium Phosphate) 70mg
Sodium (as Disodium Phosphate) 30mg

Alpha-BCAA Matrix 5000 mg
3x Leucine (Instantized L-Leucine, Leucine Nitrate, Leucine Peptides), Micronized L-Isoleucine, Micronized L-Valine
Alpha-Amino Complex 2500mg
Micronized Glutamine, Micronized Alanine, Micronized L-Citrulline, Micronized L-Arginine, Micronized L-Threonine, Micronized L-Lysine, Micronized L-Phenylalanine, Micronized L-Tyrosine, Micronized Histidine, Micronized L-Methionine

Alpha-Hydration Formula 2500mg
Micronized Taurine, Raw Coconut Water (Cocos nucifera) Powder, Dipotassium Phosphate, Disodium Phosphate, Dimagnesium Phosphate, Chia (Salvia hispanica L.) Seed Extract

Looking at this from the ingredients I feel this has a really good ingredient profile. I liked how they used 3 different kinds of Leucine in this Instantized ,Nitrate, and Peptides. The Leucine-Nitrate they added in here is found to be a very effective ingredient. The alpha amino complex and alpha hydration formula they put in here I found to be a great added bonus to this amino product.

Value:
This is where the product takes a bit of a hit for me. You can find this on most sites for $29.99 for 30 servings. Well that does not sound so bad if your only using one scoop. The problem I have with this is that you will need two scoops if you want to get the full dosage so your not really getting a full 30 servings. This will bring it down to 15 servings and at $29.99 I find that to be way to high for me to be spending on an amino product considering if you workout everyday like I do.

Taste:
I went with the Lemon lime. I found this to be very enjoyable to drink. It may seem a little to strong for some people especially if you need to use two scoops. They do have a couple other flavors but this was the only flavor I have tried so far.

Mixing/Dosing:
Had no issues at all with it mixing. This is really heavy on dyes and wish they would not put them in here. I started using 1 scoop for a few days and then found out I needed two scoops to get the full dosage. So after about a week or so I upped it to two scoops and stuck with that for the rest of the container.

The recovery off this was ok. I have had much better recovery from a few other amino products I have used. This product I thought would have given me some decent pumps but not so much. It has nitrates in it that should have helped me more at getting those pumps but they were not there so much. I will say that my endurance and recovery between sets was much improved which is nice. I really like it when I can take less time between sets and feel I can go right away and not have to wait as long to regain my endurance and recovery. I know some people will have a real problem with the heavy dyes they put in here. It was not so bad at first for me but after awhile I started to get really tired of them.

Side Effects:
Nothing I noticed.

Overall.
I thought this was a decent product. It does have a good profile of ingredients in it. If they are going to sell this they really need to lower the price a bit before I would buy it again. I don't really see a need to have such a high price for this when there are plenty of other good amino products out there that are not this expensive. I am not going to say this was a bad product at all just needs to up some of the ingredients a bit so you don't need the two scoops or at least lower the price a bit. If you are able to find a good deal on this I would recommend trying it. Would I rush out to get another container of this probably not but don't let that stop you from wanting to try it. I know some people will really enjoy this product a lot more so than others will. How this compares to the new G4 version I don't know but would be willing to try it and see. The new version I will say does look a little better and they did up the servings to 50.

March 19, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Performance
  • Workout Fuel
  • A Bit Pricey

I first learned about SR from my friend, who first got me into lifting, back in 2011. I thought it was a great place to check opinions and to decide which products I was going to try. I'm writing a review, because Cellucor allowed me to sample their product. My goals are all over the place. At first, I wanted to bodybuild and potentially compete in a show at some point. Now, I want to gain strength in regards to powerlifting and the three main lifts. I switch back and forth as I get bored. I'm not quite sure which products I will review, because most of the previous products I've tried have been revamped and the old formula is now NULL. (Products like NO Xplode, Jack3d, Muscletech products) As I try new products, I will be writing reviews on those, but at the moment there is no set path on which ones I will be looking at next.

As for the product, Alpha Amino appears as impressive, to me. I've tried a few amino/bcaa products in the past. Some through packet samples others that are discontinued or revamped, such as the Bodybuilding.com amino acids.

When comparing Alpha Amino to other products, it contains all of the most common ones at a reasonable dosage, compared to the competition. It includes a huge blend of ingredients, instead of overdosing only 1. On top of that, it has additional ingredients that others do not, most prominent is their recent inclusion of a hydration matrix. I think this is the reason why I'm so impressed, because it helped me in multiple aspects, instead of just one. I felt prolonged energy, a more focused mindset, and most of all experienced less and even no cramps sometimes. That was the biggest plus, in my mind. I have always had a problem with cramping in the body parts that I've worked out that day and I have no idea why. Alpha Amino helped with that. Another big plus was that it didn't use caffeine, because I've been trying to limit my intake.

I was able to try the lemon lime flavor. It was great. I used one full scoop as an intraworkout drink with a 26 oz bottle. I would drink half of it, fill it back up with water and continue that 3 more times. Each time I did that, the concentration of Alpha Amino diminished and it was a less strong flavor, but the taste was still great. It mixed excellently, there were no clumps or any gritty residue left within the bottle.

As I previously stated, Alpha Amino helped with my cramps. With just that, it's already considered very effective, in my book. No other amino acid that I've tried got rid of my cramps, granted I've only tried about 4 different ones, 1 for a prolonged period. At the moment of trying it, my routine is all over the place, because of school and work. So I can't be certain in saying how it's effecting me based on recovery, but I believe it is helping. I'm not sore for as long of a period of time as when off of this. I really enjoyed the energy and focus that I experienced when on this product. After taking a preworkout, the energy would usually diminish after about 30 minutes. Alpha Amino kept the energy on point and steady throughout the workout. Even when I was done, it felt like I had more in me.

Price is a huge issue for me, because I'm a student and because I don't have a surplus of money to spend. Unfortunately Alpha Amino would probably outside of my range, for the time being. It is a bit more than the other amino acids/bcaa products on the market, but this is most likely due to the comprehensiveness of their product. They include a lot of different, quality ingredients and the price reflects it. Once I obtain a full-time job, after graduation, I'm most likely going to come back to this.

Side Effects

I didn't experience any bad side effects, so the effects experienced are already listed under the effectiveness category.

Conclusion

Alpha Amino is an impressive product that I would definitely love to include in my regular stack and I am thankful that Cellucor allowed me to sample it.

March 5, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Performance
  • Electrolytes
Alpha Amino G4 is a good amino acid supplement. The profile is such that you can drink it anytime to aid in recovery and performance. I've been taking this along with a fat burner drinking it in 12 oz water preworkout prior to fasted training. I haven't noticed any recovery benefits such as being less sore the next day, my workouts are extremely intense. I do notice the performance benefits such as endurance during a workout and keeping me hydrated. I definitely feel "fresher" during my workout as compared to just taking the fat burner alone. I would have rated it higher but this is one of the more pricey amino acid supplements out there. If you are into taste, the G4 version is much better. The taste is a lot stronger and can easily be mixed in 32 oz water without it tasting watered down. I'm not really a Lemon Lime guy but this version is very tasty. The one ingredient that I question is Micronized L-Arginine. I don't think this is doing anything for you at their dosage.

Overall
Overall
9.9
  February 28, 2015

• Taste Great
  • Helps Hydrate
  • Could Mix Slightly Better
I concider myselfs a workout enthusiast. I am very aware of what I eat and try to make sure that I get enough protein and healthy fats in my diet that I am able to continue to become healthier and lose body fat. I take a multivitamins, pre-workouts, amino acids, protein powders, ZMA, and occasionally when I can fat burners, test boosters, and creatine. I have been working out since I started playing football in 5th grade. Since then I have continued to work out but no long am working out for sports but more as a hobby and to try to get in shape. My goals is to get my percent body fat into the teens if not lower teens and keep them there while getting stronger and building muscle. Once I tried the original ALPHA AMINO I loved it and saw great results and was able to break through the plateau I was at. I was sent a container of the 4th Generation ALAPHA AMIINO by Cellucor to try and to give a honest review of what I thought about their product. One of the sites they recommended reviewing on was SR. I would gladly write a review for them on ALPHA AMINO because it is a product that I have been using for a while and have already recommended to friends and family as well as previously reviewed on other sites.

I want to thank Cellucor for sending me a full tub of the 4th Generation ALPHA AMINO to try. I received the Lemon Lime flavor. I have used the last generation of Alpha Amino and have used it as a staple for my amino acids in my stack. As soon as I got it I grab my shaker to try it while looking at the supplement facts the differences between the last generation and the new is that there is 0.6g bigger scoop per serving, 11mg more calcium, 4mg more Magnesium, and 500mg more of Cellucor’s Alpha-Hydration Formula. I use ALPHA AMINO during every work out wither it is cardio or weight training so I was extremely excited to try the 4th Generation ALPHA AMINO. It did not let me down. Here is what I found.

Mixability (8/10): The G4 ALPHA AMINO mixes pretty well. I mix one rounded scoop into a 24ounce shaker with about 20 ounce of water. I will normally shake it and let it sit for about 10 minutes and then shake again before drinking. It dissolves into the water for a smooth drink with almost not grit, however you do need to shake it before you drink it each time because some of the ALPHA AMINOs do settle down at the bottom. Every time I would finish I looked into my shaker and there would be very little leftover powder.

Taste (10/10): I received the Lemon Lime flavor of ALPHA AMINO. I’ve used several flavors of the old Alpha Aminos and all of the ones I’ve tried I
liked. Lemon Lime one of my two all-time favorite flavors, the other being Icy Blue Razz. The new generation C4 tasted even better than the old one. I normally mix one rounded scoop into 20 ounces of water which taste great to me but you can always add a little more if you want the taste to be a little stronger even though I do not think you will need to.

Endurance (10/10): I had found this out with the old ALPHA AMINO but when you add it to your work out you can go a lot longer. The new generation is no different. When I added the new generation to my work out I was able to continue to knock out my work out and also add additional exercises if I felt like I could go a little longer.

Recovery (10/10): While using the 4th generation ALPHA AMINO, I continued to recover faster and not be as sore as long after a hard work out. I also noticed that on leg days if I drank ALPHA AMINO several times throughout the day, my legs would not cramp up like they used to.

Vascularity/ Pumps (8/10): While using the 4th Generation ALPHA AMINO I did notice that my veins became a little more pronounced while working out. For the best results I added the G4 C4 before working out and the G4 ALPHA AMINO since they both have NO3-T in them which is one of the major causes for vascularity and pumps from these supplements. I wanted to see how ALPHA AMINO did by itself for vascularity so two nights I did some late night cardio where I did not take C4 before my workout and one night I took ALPHA AMINO while running and one night I did not. The night that I did take the ALPHA AMINO I could notice my veins were slightly more visible and slightly bigger than the night I didn’t use it.

Formula (10/10): The differences between the last generation and the new is that there is 0.6g bigger scoop per serving, 11mg more calcium, 4mg more Magnesium, and 500mg more of Cellucor’s Alpha-Hydration Formula. I believe that these changes help me work out slightly longer, recover slightly faster, and stay hydrated slightly better than the old ALPHA AMINO.

Over all I believe the G4 ALPHA AMINO is better than the old ALPHA AMINO. I have always used ALPHA AMINO for my amino acids since I have always liked the taste and seen great results. I am continuing to see those results with the new generation. The only down side is I cannot compare ALPHA AMINO to any other brand’s amino acids but I don’t know why anyone would buy any other amino acids, ALPHA AMINO is FOR SURE the ALPHA of all amino acid supplements!

February 28, 2015

Cons:

Found supplement review while looking for pre-workout reviews and test booster, wanted to review products I have in my stack. Previously used Cellucor's COR-Performance BCAA with undesired side effects (tingling, too much when coupled with pre-workout and night workouts). Tried Alpha Amino (3rd Generation?) after I finished my tub of COR-Performance and mostly unimpressed. Icy Blue Razz dried my mouth out and had a very gritty taste to it. Tried new G4 formula and was thoroughly impressed. Only other BCAA I've used was Precision Engineering (Vitamin World Brand) and that lemon lime looked like an oil slick on top and mixed as well as oil and vinegar.

BCAA's aren't broken down on label for easily distinguishable ratios, hydration formula seems like it does the job. It appears that Cellucor is advertising this as more of a hydration product then a true BCAA anyways.

Like I stated above, previous formula was a little dry for my liking. This formula does not have the same gritty texture and goes down smooth. No nasty after taste, no reflux. Settles well in the stomach and doesn't make you feel bloated while using intra-workout. It states to use 1 scoop until tolerance is established. 2 scoops works well in 20-24 fl oz of water in a blender cup.

As opposed to my regular jug of water, this product makes me remain hydrated during my workout. This works well because I sweat like a pig, and workout for 1.5-2 hours, 5x a week. Keeps me focused and motivated throughout my workout.

At $1 per serving, I'd rather spend the extra bucks for something that doesn't taste like battery acid instead of lemon lime, and settles in my stomach rather then having me wretch. I was very loyal to COR-Performance BCAA, but when coupled with high caffeine content pre-workout and beta alanine, it can feel a little overwhelming.

Side Effects

None. Seriously, it tastes like drinking lemonaide gatoraide.

Conclusion

If you are looking for a BCAA that will sit in your stomach decently and keep you going intra-workout, I highly recommend it. I used post-workout for a while when I got sick of bloating up on whey. Aside from non-specific ratios (complex blend?), I highly recommend for hydration.

Overall
    Overall
    6.3
      January 30, 2015

Cons:
      Heads up, I tried the older version and not the new one that is on the market now.

This product includes most of the amino acids. It has your BCAA's, most of your EAA's, and some of the non-essential amino acids. It lists all of these in it's "matrix", "formula", and " complex". Usually, this is to hide the dosage of the ingredients. Overall, it sounds like it has a good ingredient profile.

I tried the icy blue razz and the lemon lime flavors. They tasted pretty good. Usually, I mixed one serving with 6-8 ounces of water.
      It wasn't the greatest at mixing. It usually took a little while of shaking for it to be mixed and there was always some residue left over.
      The dosing was simple. One serving a day. One serving is one scoop. It can't get much simpler than that.

It seemed to boost my recovery time a little bit, but not much. The newer version might be better here.

I got a deal on this through groupon, which was buy one get one free. At that price, it was worth it. I don't feel that it is worth the normal prices that you see.

Side Effects

I didn't experience any side effects from this.

One thing that I do notice is that Non stimulant pre-workout is an options under the pros section. This product isn't actually a pre-workout supplement.

Conclusion

Finally, I would say that this product is alright. I doubt that I would use it again and definitely would not use it as my preferred stack.

June 3, 2014

Profile(8):

-Each serving contained 5000mg of Leucine which really appealed to me. When looking for a BCAA product I tend to go more towards the ones with more Leucine. Each serving also contained 2500mg blend of essential and non-essential amino acids.
      -What really caught my interest was the Alpha-Hydration Formula. Among other ingredients, Raw Coconut Water was something I had never seen in an amino product before. I typically consume amino acids intra-workout so I found this very appealing.

Taste(10):

I had the watermelon and I have to say, by far the best tasting BCAA product I have ever had. I tried the Lemon-Lime and was not very impressed, but the watermelon was more than I would expect from a BCAA product. Very easy to drink during your workout, without getting upset/sour stomach.

Effectiveness(9):

-I bought a 50 serving container, but was too eager to try the product before I stopped using my other BCAA product (USP Labs Modern BCAAs). I consumed 2 servings per day intra-workout for two weeks, then discontinued use of the product for two weeks. I then resumed taking the product as previously mentioned, until I had used it all.
      -In terms of recovery, I noticed much less soreness 1 and 2 days after my workout as compared to no BCAA supplement. I do feel that I was able to recover much quicker while using this product. I did not really notice any less fatigue during my workout, but I do also take pre-workout which tends to do that job for me already.
      -I did notice that I felt much more hydrated while using this product as compared to other BCAA products I have used in the past. Usually I will keep a few water bottles in my gym bag with my BCAA supplement, but this product kept me adequately hydrated. Great alternative to a sports beverage. Much less sugar, and can cater the flavor strength to your preference
      -Noticed no "extra pump, increased performance, etc" as some people have mentioned.

Value (6):

I actually worked for GNC when I purchased this product so I got the 50 serving container for around $25-30. Not incredibly steep, but in general the product is substantially more expensive than some of the other BCAA products out there. And, taking 2 servings a day made the cost about $1/day. Cellucor's products often tend to be a little more expensive than the "should be".

Overall (8):

I've always been a fan of Cellucor's products since I tried the original 2010 M5 Extreme. The brand really seems to care more about what their customers want, than some of the other companies out there and that speaks volumes to me as a consumer. This product did what it claimed, and the only Con I notice is price. Love or hate Cellucor, I think this is a solid BCAA product and I will probably be getting it again in the future.

NOTE:
      Other products I took while using this product:
      -Image Sports: Cycle 7
      -BPI Pump HD
      -ON Gold Standard 100% Whey
      -Beyond Raw: RE-FEED Casein
      -MYO-X (a.k.a. cookie crumbs)

February 23, 2014

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Increased Performance
      • Workout Fuel
      • Non Stim Pwo
      Alright everyone here we go with the Alpha Amino review. A Cellucor product through and through no doubt about it but I picked it up on sale and drank it strong. No other way to do it. Shall we?

Profile 8.9
      Dye heavy but still a strong profile. With leucine nitrate and peptides, 10 EAA's and a hydration formula including coconut water and taurine. I have grown to become more tolerant of the blends. When in doubt take two scoops. Especially with BCAAs I don't care if it's a blend or not.

Dosing 9.5
      I give this s high number because I feel it could have many uses. It would be strong enough for a preworkout if you don't want stims and you can use one scoop or two scoops if you want it strong and even with the dyes it never upset my stomach. I used it 2 scoops intra the entire time. I felt no need to run it any differently because I had a pre and I didn't mind drinking water when not in the gym. I was already running through it pretty quick so I wanted to save some.

Taste/Mixability 9.5
      This was where it shined in my book. Stuff is sooo good. The fruit punch is awesome and the lemon lime it like strong lemonade. Im taking that one now. I even mixed a scoop of each and that was also amazing. Now they have a blue razz out I see. No mixing problems at all.

Effectiveness 8.8
      I would say that for the most part this did an excellent job. I specifically loved the results as an intra. It provided excellent stamina and had a NO boost too. My workouts were definitely better while using this and noticeably worse when not using. The recovery aspect was ok but limited this getting bumped to a 9+. I felt it could be better but I feel it was made for an intra. There are other ways to recover better so you shouldn't just rely on this alone.

Value 7.5
      Yeah I rounded up. I wish I could give this a better score but although I think some people can get away with 1 scoop, I think most will want 2 scoops and at around 30 dollars, that's 15 servings and if you were like me I go to the gym almost everyday and drank this even on some of my off days si it was gone pretty quick. Like Clippy, I picked this up as a 2 for 40 deal and a fitness expo. Don't forget there are a lot of deals out there too so keep a look out cause you should try this.

Overall 8
      I really enjoyed this product overall. The taste was important for me as an intra. I feel its one of the few things I can enjoy that's not stimmed and easy to drink and mixes well. Recovery was ok but fueled workouts really well.I highly recommend trying this for sure.

February 22, 2014

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Increased Performance
      • Nitrates
      One day, I saw the product announcement on this, and McGilla made a great call. While we were speculating about this product, McGilla predicted the following...

"Spoiler Alert:

It will come in a kewl tub.
      It will work pretty-to-really-well.
      GNCBros will be pushing it on you hard if you ever walk in there.
      It will be really expensive."

Well, for the most part, he was right. Either way, I picked this up at the LA fitness expo. The deal on it was too good to pass up. Anyway, let's dive into this.

Profile:

One big reason I was intrigued by Alpha Amino was because the profile looks really good.There are 3 blends here.

Alpha-BCAA Matrix- This is not just Leucine, Iso-Leucine, and Valine. Cellucor put in 3 different types of Leucine. "Instantized", Nitrate, and Peptides. The addition of Leucine-Nitrate really caught my attention. With many Amino products adding either Citrulline or Agmatine to aid in the "pump' during workouts, Cellucor went beyond and threw in a very effective ingredient. Nice job here

Alpha-Amino Complex- As some of us here have predicted, we are bound to see more essential amino acids thrown into BCAA products these days. Here we have some essential and non-essential aminos including Citrulline, Glutamine, Tyrosine, and some others.

Alpha-Hydration Formula- I really liked this blend. Taurine, Raw Coconut Water, electrolytes, and Chia Seed Powder. Really cool idea here.

Taste:(9.7/10)

I had the Lemon-Lime flavor. One thing McGilla forgot to predict was that it would taste really good. It's very enjoyable to sip on before, or during your workout, rather smooth at one scoop. The biggest drawback is the extra dye in here. At one scoop, it bearable, at 2, even with something like lemon-lime, it's fairly heavy. Tried a sip of the fruit punch... not for me.

Dosing:(9/10)

One thing I don't like about certain companies is that they think it's a good idea to say "30 Servings" on the front of the tub, then make you have to take 2 servings for the effective dose. The tub should say 15 "true" servings.

Either way, 1-2 scoops daily. I usually drank one scoop at the towards the end of my workout,and 1 during my cardio session.

Effectiveness:(8.5/10)

Alpha-Amino was a very enjoyable product. This shined in the anti-cramping department. I have a bad habit of not stretching my calves enough, and suffer from cramps all the time. While on Alpha-Amino, I don't remember getting one cramp, despite training them twice a week and doing more cardio than usual.

Recovery was alright, yet nowhere near as good as PES Amino IV. This is the reason I can't give it a 9+ rating.

The pump it should have given me wasn't as noticeable as it should have been, but as a side note, I took this along with Nitramine, which gives me great pumps on it's own. The addition of Alpha-Amino seemed to lack any extra "pump", although it might not have been possible because again, I was on Nitramine. I'm sure if taking with straight caffeine it would deliver though... nitrates work lol.

Endurance/recovery between sets were up, as with almost every amino product.

Dyes were not an issue because I split scoops. If I didn't, I would have complained about it.

Value:(6.5/10)

This should be a given. At $29.99 for 15 servings(yes, I recommend 2 scoops), it's def. going to hurt your wallet. It would be solid if you took it on gym days only, but since they recommend an every day protocol, I have no choice but to bring the score down.

I picked this up at $20 per tub. That would be a much better price for this, hell it could be a staple at that price. Come on Cellucor!

Overall:(7.5/10)

While Alpha-Amino is a solid product, the price needs to come down before I can give this a thumbs up. The profile is top-notch, but there are plenty of top-notch products out there that are not this expensive. I'd say give this a shot if you can get it on sale, or even just try it out to try it out. There is no real need to rush out and buy this today however.

P.S- I did have a GNC employee push this on me...