Overall Score:   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #68 of 104 (better than 35%) in
Protein > Whey Protein

Catalyst Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Catalyst by Strength.com. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.
COMPARE SIMILAR

sergiosays
TROOPer Level: 20
  March 23, 2017

----Introduction----

Hello friends, just like many other lifters whey protein is a staple in my diet. I consume at least 2 servings of whey protein a day, and please read on to hear about my unique experience with Catalyst Whey Protein.

----Ingredient Profile----

This product is mainly comprised of a 3:1 blend of whey isolate to whey protein concentrate. both forms of protein are used to build muscle as help the body recover/repair damage/strained muscles. (whey protein is considered a more pure form of protein).

Grass Fed: This aspect pertains to the ethics that surround the raising of the cow(which whey derives from). Grass Fed cow implies that this animal was in ideal living conditions and was not subjected to the confines of a cage or abuse.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----

Taste: This is one of the greatest factors that is going to separate this product from everything else on the market. I had the Belgian Chocolate and by no means am i exaggerating when I say that it was extremely delicious and one of the best tasting protein flavors I have ever consumed. Anyone who has taking tubs and tubs of protein knows that there is a "powdery" or "chalky" taste whether large or small it is usually apparent, and we all know this. However, this Belgian Chocolate taste like chocolate that has been melted over a pan and squeezed into your shake. It is rich in flavor and it does not give off that sugary/overwhelmingly sweet taste. 9.5/10

Mixability: Throw it in your oatmeal, milk, water, and it will mix with ease. no issues here, no junks, no foam.

Dosing: 1 scoop/ 30 servings per container.

----Effectiveness----

It is difficult to assess if a protein powder is a single cause for the multitude of factors that also need to be considered if we were to evaluate one's muscle/strength increases. Without diving too deep, I maintained consuming this protein and as I am currently bulking I have gradually seen some mass and strength gains. Whether this protein cause this progression I can not say, but merely I am stating my experience.

----Value----

This protein runs for $35.99. I do believe this price tag is slightly on the higher side. I do not want this price tag to deter anyone from trying this and experiencing for the first time in their lifting career what a gourmet protein shake is like..also keep in my that grass fed animals do cost more to sustain as reflected by the large price tag.

----Side Effects----

No observed side effects.

----Conclusion----

Catalyst is an protein that will standout because of its indulging flavor and its mindfulness towards only proving whey protein from Grass Fed animals. In addition, this protein uses a higher concentration of whey protein isolate as compared to many of its counterparts which are more abundant in whey protein concentrate. The price tag of 35.99 is slightly above what one would find fit for their budget, but once one weighs the nobility in using grass fed protein, the cost of the more refined protein isolate, and the pleasantness ensured through their flavors, one can be certain if this protein is right for them.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Lower In Sodium
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Great Tasting
  • Belgian Chocolate: 10/10
smashley23
TROOPer Level: 4
  March 22, 2017

----Introduction----

I'm a competing powerlifer, who is cutting down to the 84kg weight class- just made weight last week. I train 5-6 days a week with two high volume days and three intensity days (one for each of my three main lifts).

I've been cutting at 1-2lbs/week and go through a lot of shakes to keep my protein count up and calories down. I drank this product for the most part, but I also used it to make whey peanut butter cups and protein bars.

----Ingredient Profile----

There are relatively few ingredients in this protein powder. It's got whey isolate and concentrate. It doesn't state the amounts of each, but the isolate is listed first and the cholesterol is pretty low (20mg), so my guess is there's more isolate than concentrate. It's sweetened with stevia, has some dextrose, natural and artificial flavors, and is colored with beet juice powder.

Macros:

This is a pretty lean product. It's 110 cals per scoop, 1/2 gram of fat, 3 grams carbs (1g sugar), and 24g of protein per 30g scoop.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----

The taste gets a 7 from me. The initial taste reminded me of Swiss Miss, which brought some pleasant childhood nostalgia for me, but there was this aftertaste that was bitter, which took away some points.

The bitterness wasn't there with every sip, but once you noticed it, it didn't go away until I rinsed out my mouth with water or something. I think it's the stevia, which I've heard can give a bitter aftertaste. I don't use it, so I wouldn't know for sure. If you already use/like stevia, then it may not bother you at all.

This was only a problem when I was drinking the product. When I used it to make the peanut butter cups or protein bars, there were other components mixed in, peanut butter, sugar, etc, so I didn't taste any bitterness. It also cooks well, so if you like making protein desserts, that's a plus.

I found that the product mixed well. I usually use a blender, but I did test the product with a shaker bottle a few times, and I didn't have any clumping issues.

In terms of dosing, I think 1 scoop is a good dose. There's some debate as to how much whey you need to optimize muscle protein synthesis. Some people say 20g is enough. Others say a higher amount is better. 24-25g is about as much as you can expect in a 31g scoop, so I think Catalyst did well here. Also, if you add a cup of skim milk, that brings you to 32g of high quality protein in 190 calories, which is pretty great for cutting (or if you just want your calories to go elsewhere).

----Effectiveness----

When I drank the protein, I'd use a scoop post workout. I found that my recovery went pretty well through out the past month (I'm eating 1g/lb LBM in protein), but whey is whey. It's hard for me to say that 1 protein powder is more or less effective than another.

----Value----

This is a grass fed whey which will cost more than your ordinary protein powders, so I compared Catalyst to other grass fed products I found online to try and assess its value.

I've seen grass fed whey products range from $11/lb to $26/lb, so there's a lot of variety there. The best deal I found for Catalyst was a 2lb tub AND their preworkout for $23 (at Supplement Hunt), so that's a pretty fair deal even if you don't care for the pre-workout.

It's also NSF certified, which is a plus if you're a drug-tested athlete and are concerned about the potential for cross contamination with a prohibited supplement.

----Side Effects----

No side effects here. I'm not lactose intolerant, nor do I have any food allergies. If you have any food allergies, you should know that there is an allergen warning on the product.

"This product was produced in a facility that may also process ingredients containing milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans."

----Conclusion----

I think there are some pretty good things going for this product: a really decent price considering that it's grass fed, macros that are pretty good if you're cutting, works well in desserts, and is NSF certified. but the bitterness kept me from getting excited about drinking it. I think it's worth considering if you want a grass fed product or are avoiding artificial colors or want a stevia sweetened product, but I would rather go with something less bitter.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Lower In Sodium
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • NSF Certified
  • Low Fat And Carb Profile
  • Bitter Aftertaste
  • Belgian Chocolate: 7/10
bctuthill
TROOPer Level: 17
  March 22, 2017

----Introduction----
First, thanks to Strength.com for participating in the Troops program here. I was very excited to try this protein because it looked to be very high quality and seemed very clean coming from grass fed cows and being hormone free with very few ingredients. Usually my daily protein is the MyProtein Impact Whey, and I found this to be on par in many respects, while not as good in others. This will be a shorter review overall, since the protein itself is very straight forward and basic-- which is also one of the things that makes it great. But, there's just not a heck of a lot to cover.

----Ingredient Profile----
Very straight forward, per serving you get:
24g of protein, in 110 calories, with 2g sugar, 1g fiber, 3g carbs, 20mg cholesterol, and .5g of fat-- along with 116mg of calcium, and a trace of iron (.83mg).

Sweetened with Stevia, and also contains dextrose-- both "natural" sweeteners

This contains 25% more protein per serving than my usual MP brand, and 10 more calories. Nearly identical besides that.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
I requested and received Vanilla, as that's what I usually buy myself and figured it would be best to take that for comparison on taste.

The protein mixed well overall. In a morning shake using a blender it didn't stick to the sides quite as much as my normal protein, and had no chunks. After lifting I'd mix this with a spoon in some water and that was a little tougher. If I used the side of the spoon to break up the big chunks I was eventually able to mix it well enough that I wouldn't feel any chunks while drinking it, but I never got it quite perfect-- but I've also yet to meet the protein that I have!!

As far as taste, this is where I was most disappointed. I don't usually buy things sweetened with Stevia, and I think I'll continue to avoid it. Every time I drank this, it tasted great up-front but finished with this sort of bitterness that was really unpleasant and lingered. If you're used to Stevia, maybe it won't be a problem. For me as someone who isn't, it was. It made it difficult to finish.

----Effectiveness----
Effectiveness was good. There was no increase in DOMS after switching over, and maybe even a slight improvement. I was getting more protein per serving, and it was fueling me up without weighing me down. It's so protein rich, with so little content besides that, this is exactly what I'd expect. I felt great every time after drinking it.

I also appreciated that the scoop was clear. Maybe minor, but I always worry there are voids in the scoop when I mix my protein. No need to worry about that here though!

----Value----
Catalyst is too expensive. The best price I found online was $44.99 from their own website. For 30 servings, that's $1.50 each. When you're taking multiple servings throughout the day, it adds up quick and runs out fast.

----Conclusion----
Overall I think this is a quality product, and I think my lack of exposure to Stevia in general is the reason I had an issue with the taste. If it's something you're used to eating, you'd probably love this stuff. I do think they need to get the price down though, and I would love to see them release a different sweetener option. Thanks again to Strength and give this a shot if you're looking for a nice clean protein with natural ingredients!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Bitter Aftertaste
  • Natural vanilla: 7/10
WarMachine
TROOPer Level: 71
  March 17, 2017

----Introduction----

A special thanks to Catalyst By Strength.com for their participation in the ER/TROOPs program. Today, I discuss my experiences with their protein supplement Catalyst whey, which I'll just call Catalyst. Protein.....the prime foundation staple of many of our supplement regimens. Regardless what your fitness goals are geared towards, there is always an area where supplementing with some extra protein can be a necessity. Of course, nothing beats good wholesome food, but having a protein supplement on hand is always good reassurance. There are so many protein supplements out there that it seems like we're are usually never content with just one. For me, when choosing a good protein product, I like the cleanest and highest quality that I can get, as do most of us.

So how does Catalyst hold up to these demands?

----Ingredient Profile----

As with most protein products the profile is very straightforwards. Each scoop provides 24g of whey protein comprised of a combination of both isolate and concentrate. There is also 2g of sugar, 3g of carbohydrates, and 110 total calories.

The attraction point of Catalyst is that the whey source used is derived from grass-fed cows. Milk derived from grass-fed cows is said to have higher bioavailable nutrient content and contain higher levels of CLA with a more complete amino acid profile.

Worth noting that Catalyst whey also contains a small amount of dextrose and is sweetened with stevia.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----

I received th Belgian Chocolate flavored and found it enjoyable. Though, it's definitely more enjoyable in milk than water. It mixed fine for me regardless how I prepared it and didn't leave any large undissolved globs.

Dosing with protein supplements depends solely on how much protein you need in a day. Me personally, I took 2 servings on training days, one in the morning and one sometime post workout following amino acids and creatine. On non training days, I would take one serving usually in the morning.

----Effectiveness----

As I explained in previous reviews of other proteins, how you gauge efficacy depends on how you feel it helped meet your protein requirements. Catalyst whey did a great job in providing me with the extra amounts of high quality protein I needed throughout the day and helped keep my recovery on peak. The great taste, convenience, and quality of Catalyst made meeting protein quotas more enjoyable and accomplished.

The extra CLA content is said to aid in fat loss, but my diet right now is not geared towards that so I can't comment on the benefits in those areas. Potentially, it can help in weight loss with diet and training in check given that it's low calories and doesn't add a lot of extra carbs or sugar to your intake.

----Value----

The cheapest I found Catalyst whey was around 35 dollars on amazon, though I don't know if it's still currently available on the site. Considering that's for a 2lbs bag that may last you upwards of a month and that the protein is very good quality and consistency, I'd say that's not bad a price. The drawback though is that if you use multiple servings, this price can eventually begin to add up.

----Conclusion----

Catalyst whey is definitely a whey protein supplement I would recommend to anybody who wants to include a high quality, good tasting, well balanced protein supplement into their regimen in order to keep macro quotas in check. Be sure you're getting most of your nutrients from good food and as always keep your training in check. Also, try to catch this product on sale deals since the price tag can add up depending on how often you use protein supplements.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO BRUINS!!!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Great Tasting
  • Belgian Chocolate: 7/10
Wade419
TROOPer Level: 29
  March 16, 2017

----Introduction----
I'm always on a constant conquest to find the best and most effective exercise supplements and I've never had the pleasure to try out a premium grass fed whey protein product yet, so I had to jump at the opportunity and see how Catalyst stacks up to the competition. Shout out to Strength.com for giving me a chance to give their flagship protein product a go!

----Ingredient Profile----
First off, I'd like to note that Strength.com was cool enough to get an NSF certification (National Sanitation Foundation) for Catalyst Grass Fed Whey to demonstrate that their product meets all the requirements for safe consumption for specifically sport athletes. I feel like small certifications like this do go a long way with showing its consumers that the company cares about their safety and well-being. There isn't much additional information on the grass fed aspect of this product other than the front label but I assume we'll have to take their word for it.

Calories: (30.85g Serving) 110
Fats: 0.5g
Proteins: 24g (Combination of Whey protein isolate & concentrate)
Carbohydrates: 3g
Sugars: 2g
Sodium: 150mg

Catalyst contains a fairly standard whey protein ingredient profile compared to its competitors. It does do a good job with keeping it a very high protein composition product with very low fats and carbohydrates to keep dieters happy and within their daily macro counts. It's mainly flavored with stevia and has minimal sugar included which is another plus for the product but a standard of the category. It also contains about the usual amount of sodium compared to other products so nothing particularly new or innovative there.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
I had the opportunity to try out the Belgian Chocolate flavor and I must say that it is probably one of the better chocolate whey protein products I've tasted in a long time especially considering the ingredient label, which is saying a lot. If taste is a big component of your criteria for purchasing a product than I'd say Catalyst is a good bet for the chocolate flavor. It mixes fairly well too with the standard 12oz of water without too much clumping as long as you give the bottle a good shake. The dosing is the same that you would expect from any whey protein product.

----Effectiveness----
I would personally have to say that this product is just as effective as any of the other whey protein products that use a combination of isolate and concentrate. It's usually a game of taste and whey protein quality in the game of protein powders and I feel like Catalyst does a good job at staying in the front of the pack. A good tasting high protein, low fats and carbohydrates product with the inclusion of utilizing grass fed cows. What more can you ask for from a whey protein product?

----Value----
The price of the 2lb bag of Catalyst can be found on Amazon.com for about $35 a pop. I'd say that it is a bit pricey with all things considered but I'm sure the main increase compared to other whey products is due to the use of grass fed cows. I'd personally trade the grass fed cows for a fully whey protein isolate formula but everyone has their own priorities when it comes to nutrition so I can respect a consumer that puts grass fed cows as a higher priority. I would still say that this type of product should be priced a bit cheaper in the $30 range but it's still decently priced at $35.

----Side Effects----
I personally had no adverse effects from using Catalyst Whey Protein.

----Conclusion----
Every single fitness enthusiast knows that the core of any individual's supplement stack revolves around protein since without it we wouldn't be able to synthesize all that hard-earned muscle mass! Strength.com took a slightly different approach from the norm by utilizing grass fed cows and even going the extra mile to get a NSF certification. Though the product could use a minor price cut, I believe that it's a great protein powder option for people that are looking for what it has to offer. Catalyst Grass Fed Whey is a well-rounded protein product that will surely help speed up lagging muscle groups after good 'ol hard hitting workouts at the gym. Cheers fellas!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Great Tasting
  • Belgian Chocolate: 8/10
Italy48
TROOPer Level: 15
  March 14, 2017

----Introduction----
Thank you to CATALYST by Strength.com for making this product available to the SR Troopers. I am really glad I had the opportunity to try out this Whey Protein product. The part that intrigued me the most was the fact that the cows were grass fed. This is not something I see everyday in a protein powder.

----Ingredient Profile----
One of the things that stood out to me in a positive way was the fact that this product came from grass fed cows. I give a huge thumbs up for this. I'm not going to spend a lot of time covering the difference between grass fed cows that are typically free roaming vs feedlot cows who are housed in unsanitary conditions and more often that not given antibiotics. Given the choice, I prefer grass fed cows due to being raised in healthier conditions most of the time and being able to roam and get fresh air. Kudos to this product for doing that. Onto the other ingredients. You get 24 grams of protein per scoop from whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate. Anywhere from 24-25 grams is your typical serving per scoop. Only 1 gram of sugar per scoop and the sodium in this product is lower than most I have used. There are 85 milligrams of sodium per scoop. This is flavored with Stevia which I prefer.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
I had the West Coast Strawberry flavor. In the past, strawberry flavors have been hit or miss for me. This one was absolutely delicious. It was as if I was drinking Nestle strawberry milk. I did not mind drinking this at any point during the run of this product. I mixed it with 10 ounces of cold water in a shaker cup. It mixed well. A little foaming at first but after 20 seconds it was ready to go. I'm sure mixing it with milk would have been off-the-charts good. I wish I would have tried mixing with milk one time just to experience the awesome taste. I dosed sometimes at 1 scoop and sometimes at 2 scoops depending on how much protein I needed to hit my macro targets for the day. Either way I mixed it with 10 ounces of cold water no matter if I used 1 or 2 scoops.

----Effectiveness----
As most people will say it is hard to say a protein powder is not effective or not doing what it is supposed to do unless it is completely blatant. I will rate this on stomach issues, recovery and progression in my lifts. I did not experience any stomach issues during the run of this product. There was no (extra) gas or upset stomach that I experienced. It went down easy and stayed down. If I ate breakfast, lunch or dinner directly before or after drinking this it did not bother me in any adverse way. As far as recovery goes, I feel it is right in line with the other top tier protein powders I have used. I had normal DOMS but nothing worse or anything that was far above the rest of the best protein powders I have used. I feel it helped me recover and did not cause me to be more or less sore than other proteins. I continued to make gains and progressions in my lifts. I hit all of the targets in my overload sets and I was able to continue to progress in drop sets. Just a side note, I did hit two PR's during the run of this product. As I stated above, I did experiment with 1 or 2 scoops. I did not notice any positives or negatives based on the amount of scoops I used.

----Value----
I found this cheapest on Strength.com at $44.99 for 30 servings which comes out to $1.49 per serving. I did notice Amazon does carry this but they were out of stock on it and I could not see their price. I did not see any other sites that carried this brand. I do find this to be a tad on the pricier side for a protein powder. I think once the price comes down and more distributors carry it, this is a home run product.

----Conclusion----
If you want a solid protein powder that tastes great and comes from grass fed cows then this is your product. The price is a bit steep but if you are willing to pay for this product I would give it a try at least once. As the price currently stands, this could be pricey to use for your everyday protein powder but if it were cheaper I would have have no issues using this protein on a daily basis.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Lower In Sodium
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Great Tasting
  • West Coast Strawberry: 9/10