Ranks #92 (better than 19%)
In: Protein > Whey Protein

Catalyst Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Catalyst by Strength.com. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Protein > Whey Protein

May 4, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Low Fat And Carb Profile
  • Mostly Isolate
  • Naturally Sweetened
  • Clumps
Many thanks going out to Catalyst by Strength.com for providing their product up to the TROOPs. Everyone is particular to some extent about what kind of protein they want to take. Well add "grass-fed" to the list of seemingly endless options you can have in your protein now. This is my first experience with a grass fed whey, so let's dive in.

Dosage

One scoop post-workout.

Ingredient Profile (8/10)

This product is a whey blend that is mostly isolate, with some concentrate thrown in there as well. You get 24 grams of protein per 30.85 gram scoop, which is roughly 78% protein per scoop, a solid ratio. Only a half a gram of fat and 3 carbs per scoop, so also a fairly pure protein as well. Naturally sweetened with stevia for those who don't like the artificial stuff, and no artificial flavoring. All in all, a pretty solid profile that caters to many who are very specific on what they want in a protein.

Mixture (6/10)

This protein has a very clumpy appearance and tends to stick together when you try to scoop it out, a lot of scoops became heaping scoops. This tends to translate over to when you're mixing it as well. I often ran into some chunks while drinking this. Definitely a far cry from many proteins that are velvety smooth and go down easy.

Taste (7/10)

I decided to go off the board from my usual and got the "West Coast Strawberry" flavor in this product, which for the life of me I don't know why. I typically hate strawberry flavored proteins. So to me this tasted like every other strawberry flavor I've ever hadI'll assume that to mean people who actually enjoy strawberry will like this. I won't knock the score too hard since I have a bias against strawberry flavored proteins, however fans of this flavor should be pleased with this.

Effectiveness (8.5/10)

I guess I'll beat this dead horse with every protein review I do on here, but I believe that a protein powder is a foundation on which to build your nutrition and recovery off of. With that being said, I feel this product does what it's supposed to do in that regard. You get quality protein that absorbs quickly, helps you recover, and leaves you feeling satisfied. As far as the grass fed angle goes, I personally feel it's more gimmick than substance. A quality protein regardless of its source is going to be helpful if everything else is in line for you. I noticed no difference from this than from any other quality protein that I've used in my past. It works and does what it's meant to do, but I guess you can feel a little better about yourself envisioning the cows in the open meadows gnawing on grass instead of corn meal from a trough.

Value (5/10)

On strength.com, and on Amazon, a 30 serving bag runs you $44.95 or roughly $1.50 a serving. The ends don't justify the means in my opinion, you can get just as good of a protein for far less, even half the price per serving if you find a good sale. This is just like buying a $7 orange at Whole Foods. It's still an orangeand this is still a whey protein at the end of the day.

Conclusion and Verdict

This product will deliver all the results you'd expect from a good whey protein. If you insist on spending the extra dollars to get grass fed protein though, then this is an option for you. To me though, this is just another face in the crowd so to speak as far as a whey protein goes. So while it was effective, and in my opinion a good quality product I wouldn't be able to justify the dollars and cents of it to buy this. So it gets the "Meh" rating, with the caveat that it's not a bad product.
  • West Coast Strawberry: 7/10

Advertisement:
Members don't see ads: Join SR for Free

Overall
Overall
5.7
6.7
5.5
  April 27, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Low Fat And Carb Profile
  • Mostly Isolate
  • Naturally Sweetened
  • Slightly Expensive
Catalyst Grass-Fed Whey is Strength.com's entry into the protein field. First of all, i want to send HUGE apologies to Strength.com AND to the Trooper program, for taking so long to post this! My schedule changed at work, now I'm working swing shift and have little time for anything else!

Anyways; protein powders are those things we don't really need, but damn if I'm always buying and consuming it! This being the case, a good protein has to be good tasting, mixing, and not cause any stomach issues if its something you'll be drinking everyday. This being labeled as "grass fed", i wonder if it would make that much of a difference (good or bad) in any of the aforementioned qualities. So, did Catalyst whey step up to the plate? Read on my Friends.

PROFILE-8
This is about as simple, basic, and effective a profile you'd want in a protein. There's 24mg of protein per serving, along with calcium (120mg), and sodium (85mg). For flavoring there's Stevia, Dextrose. No extra items, no fillers. For calorie and carb-counters; 110 calories, and 3g of carbs per serving. Very nice!

I (because I asked for) received "Natural Vanilla" flavor and, well, it's pretty natural tasting, I'm guessing. It was more a powdered skim milk consistency and taste! It mixed fairly decent, but took a blender bottle or shaker cup and some elbow grease to get it mixed. This wasn't a bad tasting product (nor was it a great tasting product), it just didn't have much vanilla flavor to offset the natural protein taste.

EFFECTIVENESS-7
Protein Powders are a bit on the difficult side to rate for "effectiveness". I mean, a protein can taste delicious yet do absolutely nothing good for your body (but fill it with sugars fillers and flavoring). Or, it can taste horrific yet provide plenty of clean, wholesome protein. So, this is more in the eye of the consumer and what's important to him/her. This did what it supposed to; provide plenty of clean protein to your body, much more conveniently than say, having to cook a steak or chicken breast after each workout. It did "quench the thirst" after a hard workout. In true, "clean profile" fashion, i'd be nice and satisfied after taking. THEN an hour after taking I'd be absolutely starving again! Soreness and recovery were improved. Bottom line is it did the job as a quality protein supplement.

SIDE EFFECTS-5.5
Flatulence! Yup, about 20-30 minutes after consuming I would just let 'er rip! This happened throughout the entire bag. Sometimes, I would get a little stomach discomfort. It was definitely caused by the gas in my stomach. Reading some of the other reviews, I appear to be the only one who experienced this. Maybe I had a reaction to this product.

VALUE-6
This runs between 36-44$ for a 2lb bag. Each bag contains 30 scoops of protein. In the big picture of the protein market, this is a little on the pricey side. For my personal experience, its more than I would be willing to spend for the reactions and experience I had.

OVERALL-5
This wasn't a bad protein powder by any means, but the price point and poor flavor/mixability are factors I do take into consideration. Reading the other reviews, I think I'm the only person who experienced mild stomach discomfort. But that alone wasn't any reason for me to stop taking this. But, that's just another factor I have to take into consideration when reviewing this. It was solid as a protein supplement, but these negative experiences keep me from recommending this to the average consumer over any other options.
  • Natural vanilla: 3/10

Advertisement:
Members don't see ads: Join SR for Free

April 26, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Bitter Aftertaste

I follow a couple of fitness deal pages on FB and Instagram and I have seen this product pop up a few times, but never really looked into it much. I really like Grass fed beef/whey anything to do with the such.

You have a 30.85g scoop here with 24g of grass fed whey protein made up of a 3:1 blend with the heavier end being whey isolates. This is a very clean protein with only a half gram of fats and 3 total carbs. This protein is naturally sweetened with stevia.

I received the Belgian Chocolate flavor and it wasn't awful, but like somebody else mentioned I hate stevia, hate hate hate it. It always leaves a bad taste in my mouth regardless of what its in, and I do my best to avoid it. The chocolate flavor was decent with that bad aftertaste, but not undrinkable. This mixed fairly easy with very little clumping.

I know some people debate the difference between grass fed and other types of protein, but i am a very big believer that grass fed is so much better. I recently tried grass fed beef and I don't think I will ever eat a burger from any other kind of meat. WIth the grass fed protein I felt that my system digested it very well, probably one of the best digesting proteins that I have ever put into my body. I never had any bloat or any gas whatsoever.

This isn't available at very many places but at the moment I see that its going for around $45, which is on the higher end of proteins, but its from a grass fed source so it will obviously be a little more expensive. If you enjoy the taste then I think the price point is pretty good.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Like I mentioned in the value section, if you like the taste then this is a good product. The macros in this can fit into any diet with low fat and carbs. Thanks to Strength.com for sending this out to the TROOP program to try.
  • Belgian Chocolate: 6/10

April 13, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Only Available In 2 Lbs
Hey fit fam!! I picked up a bag of this Whey Protein from Catalyst.com because I had never tried a grass fed whey protein before. Based on what I had researched I decided to give it a shot to see if it was any different than the other whey proteins I had tried. I appreciate Strength.com and SR.com partnering to allow us to try out product like this.

Grass fed Whey Protein Blend- 3:1 isolate to concentrate ratio. Pretty self explanatory. If you are into fitness and nutrition then you already know what this is. The website strength.com claims Grass Fed Whey is the new, cutting-edge standard that high performance athletes, trainers and coaches can trust. Grass Fed Whey is hormone free with no banned substances and features all-natural Stevia for a rich dessert-like taste you'll love.

Other ingredients in the Belgian Choc are Cocoa Bean Powder, Dextrose, Natural Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Stevia rebaudiana Leaf Extract.

I feel like I should mention here that it also only has a half gram of fat and only 3 carbs per scoop as well. That is EXCELLENT for a protein powder if you are looking to cut some weight.

Taste- The taste is GREAT! I thought it might taste a little different than other proteins I was used to since it had stevia added to it. It did.... it actually tasted better than a few of the proteins I've had in the past. I was impressed with the Belgian Chocolate I received.

Mixability- Mixes great. No clumping, no "frothiness" at the top for me.

Dosing- One scoop with about 6-10 ounces of water depending on how thick you like your shakes.

I must say. I thought it was just as effective as the other protein powders I have used in the past. It's really hard to tell with protein powders if one is better than the other. That's the big problem. If you are a stickler about being all natural and using no banned substances like a lot of folks are then you would definitely be interested in this. If that stuff doesn't matter to you then you are probably going to stick to the normal powders because of the cost.

Stength.com has it listed for 44.99 for the chocolate currently. The strawberry is on sale for $35.99. Both prices are for 2lbs. This is pretty much par for whey protein blends. I tried to find it in a bigger size but can only seem to find it in 2lbs. A bigger size might cost more and scare the consumer away I suppose but if someone doesn't mind the cost then it might be beneficial to make a bigger size. Very few give you a 3:1 ratio of proteins. So on that note it seems to make it worth the extra $5-$10 you will spend for this. I would definitely recommend it if you could find it on sale somewhere. Paying full price might be a bit to steep for the average Joe.

Side Effects

NONE

Conclusion

In conclusion, I liked the taste the best of anything with this. I love that its from grass fed sources. It's got an extremely low fat and carb profile which helps when you are cutting. My only issue is the cost. If they brought it down to a normal price of around $35.99 (their current sale price) then I might be even more likely to recommend it to folks. Once, again I would like to thank both strength.com and sr.com for the opportunity to review this product. I really appreciate it.
  • Belgian Chocolate: 9/10

April 4, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Mostly Isolate

First off, thank you to Strength.com for sending this out. I'm always interested in trying out proteins from new companies. My biggest reason for wanting to give this a try was because I've never had grass fed whey before and wanted to see how it compared to proteins I taken in the past.

Alright. As I mentioned above this is a grass fed protein (grass fed cows) blend made up of isolate and concentrate coming in at 24g of protein per serving. According to Strength it is a 3:1 ratio of protein, so more isolate. As blends are sometimes viewed as negative, I believe its better that it is predominantly isolate. This is also sweetened with stevia, but this did not bother me taste wise as it did others. I think the biggest selling point here is that it is a grass fed protein.

Taste

I had Belgium Chocolate flavor. Despite others saying that they did not like the aftertaste of the shake, I never experienced that. I thought it had a rich flavor overall, richer than Optimum Nutritions Double Rich Chocolate for example.

Mixability

Overall this mixed fairly well. Occasionally there were slight clumps, nothing huge. I feel like the protein itself was pretty dense. For example, when I scooped it out and went to put it into my shaker, it would come out in a solid clump and not just break apart. It was dense.

I dosed this specifically post workout at 1 scoop in 8oz of water, even though they recommend 12oz. I felt it was too watered down with that much.

Judging protein is always difficult. Digestion was normal. I consumed a shake some morning (other morning I would have an optimum nutrition shake just to change up flavors), but I always used Catalyst as my post workout shake. I'm super low carb right now so being that there are only 3g of carbs per serving really appealed to me. Everything about this protein seemed to be in check when compared to others strength and recovery wise. I never felt that Catalyst was stopping me from reaching my goals. Overall it fit into my diet and goals well.

The cheapest I came across this was $44.95 on Amazon plus $6 shipping, so $50.95 (not available for Amazon Prime). I did find it on newegg.com for $41 and they claimed to be free shipping but after I put in all my information it was $6 for shipping, $3.23 in taxes, so the total comes out to $50.23. You'll end up paying around $50 no matter where you pick this up.

Packaging

Had to add this in there because I felt it needed to be addressed. I was never a big fan of zip-lock bags for protein, but this was by far one of the worst I have encountered. The first time I opened the bag it took me forever to reseal it. It just refused to go back together. Once sealed, there was still a gap between the zip and the actual bag, so it was never perfectly sealed. Just after a week of using it, the entire zip broke off of the bag leaving me to either transfer the remaining protein into another container or just roll it shut like a bag of chips. I believe they need to work on their packaging. I'm not saying to ditch the bag, but at least improve the zip-lock.

Side Effects

No side affects. Normal digestion. No extra gas.

Conclusion

I enjoyed Catalyst. It has a good profile, delicious taste, low in carbs and fit into my daily food intake. Seeing what else this company puts out would interest me. After checking out their website further they actually have a lot of supplements out from protein to creatine and other dietary supplements.

April 3, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Bitter Aftertaste

Snup again SR! First I would like to thank Strength.com for sending this whey protein out, and the SR TROOP's program for making the connection possible. Generally I only use one scoop of protein for shakes, but will use a bit more throughout days to add into food. This whey fit in fine with foods, but while drinking this I couldn't stop hating the artificial sweetener after taste.

The ingredient profile is decent, but when it comes to expensive protein, I don't need it mixed with concentrate. Yeah it's 3:1 ratio cool. Still a blend. 110 calories per serving with low carbs and no fats makes this an easy protein to use for any diet choice. 24g's of protein is a reasonable amount and becoming quite common to see for protein powders nowadays without the ability to amino spike now haha

Taste is okay at first with the chocolate Belgian flavor (in shake form), but a few mins afterwards the damn stevia sweetener is still lingering. I f*ing hate stevia taste with a passion, but obviously it's used by most companies. I know kidding ate some Gardettos afterwards to get the taste off my tongue lol

Mixing isn't too bad in water and milk. A little clumping for me so got a bit more of arm workout shaking the heck out of it.

Dosing is kind of on your own. Use it whenever you need protein filled in your diet. That's how I use protein powders anyways.

The effectiveness is based off of how I digested this and if I felt like the protein was being used. Recovery wise nothing went up or down, so the protein had to be good enough for body to use the macro correctly. I had no digestive issues and restroom visits were all fine, so the quality is good enough for my stomach to handle.

Muscle building wise - well it's protein so if you recover like you're supposed to and eat plenty of nutrients then this will help you. Other than this I don't have much else to report for effectiveness. No runs and fine after using.

Only found this for $44.95 and I think that's a bit pricey. Yeah the dairy is grass fed whey, but it's isolate and concentrate. Maybe if it was all isolate then I'd get the higher price mark, but I consider adding concentrate is to "dilute" the formula. I get it, it's a 3:1 formula. Cool. Not a big deal if price matched this, but it's priced as if a protein isolate organic product is. I didn't value too hard though because it does contain 30 servings. Been noticing a lot of brands only having 20-25 servings now.

Side Effects

No side effects

Conclusion

Strength.com produced a decent grass fed way product for us to select from, but I feel the price needs to be dropped unless it becomes a full isolate protein product. Thanks for allowing me to review this supplement strength.com!
  • Belgian Chocolate: 6/10

March 28, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grass Fed Sources
----Introduction + Ingredient Profile----
Protein is a staple supplement, and I am always willing to try new brands of protein if I believe they are to be of high-quality. This protein really caught my attention because of three big reasons: 1. It comes from grass-fed cows. Any meat that I have eaten for the past two years have come from free-range, pasture-fed, humanely raised animals. I am not trying to sound like a big D-bag by saying that, I just believe in the ethics of them being raised that way, the benefit it has on our environment, and how much healthier it is for you. Not to mention the taste in grass-fed red meat especially. The increase in price is worth it for me. Now, I am not totally sure the cows used to make the protein for Catalyst Whey are completely grass-fed because I believe that as long as they have some access to grass they can be considered grass-fed. However, it is better than nothing in my opinion. Most protein powders that are labeled as being grass-fed are ridiculously high in price. For that I cannot justify spending that much more money for a protein powder. 2. It is said to be a 3-1 ratio of isolate to concentrate according to Strength.com. We know that isolate is a higher quality than concentrate. Do not think I have to say much more about that. 3. It is naturally sweetened with Stevia. I always prefer the naturally sweetened supplements over the ones made with Sucralose and Ace-k when possible. Other things to like are that it is low in calories (110), on the higher side of protein with 24g of it, low in fat (0.5), and contains only 3 g of carbs.

Taste 7/10: I received the Belgian Chocolate and the initial taste was probably a 9/10. It was great at first. However, there was a bitter aftertaste where I had to deduct two points. Like I said above, I prefer Stevia to artificial sweeteners, but I know that it could result in that bitterness. I have had MyProtein's Impact Whey sweetened with Stevia and that does not contain that bitterness.

Mixability 8/10: This was not a perfect mixing protein; it clumped up a little bit. Kind of on the lower end of proteins which are mostly isolate, but not awful.

Dosing 10/10: They suggest mixing one scoop in 12 oz. cold water and to drink first thing in the morning or throughout the day. We know protein can be taken however the user sees fit. I took this immediately post-workout in 8 oz. almond milk or blended up as a smoothie.

I did not have any issues digesting this protein. I found that the taste was great aside from the final few sips. Throwing it in a smoothie basically took care of the aftertaste though. I was working out six times a week while using this and stuck with one scoop post-workout. Strength gains were consistent and recovery was on par with all other proteins I have had in the past.

If you do not mind having the Strawberry flavor, that could be found on Amazon for $35 and it is Prime eligible. With about 30 servings, that comes out to $1.17 a serving. For some reason, I cannot find the chocolate or vanilla on Amazon. All three flavors could be found on Strength.com and that will run you $45 for 30 servings coming out to $1.50 each. I believe this protein competes with all of the other higher end proteins on the market and feel the $1.17 per serving is pretty competitive for the quality in here. I like strawberry proteins for the most part, so that is what I would purchase in the future.

Side Effects

None except bitter aftertaste.

Conclusion

Really enjoyed this protein. I think if they could tone down the Stevia a bit more and get this out to other websites for sale/offer bigger sized containers, it would be one of the top proteins on the market. I am definitely interested in purchasing this in the future and would 100% recommend it.

March 23, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Slightly Expensive

Hello friends, just like many other lifters whey protein is a staple in my diet. I consume at least 2 servings of whey protein a day, and please read on to hear about my unique experience with Catalyst Whey Protein.

This product is mainly comprised of a 3:1 blend of whey isolate to whey protein concentrate. both forms of protein are used to build muscle as help the body recover/repair damage/strained muscles. (whey protein is considered a more pure form of protein).

Grass Fed: This aspect pertains to the ethics that surround the raising of the cow(which whey derives from). Grass Fed cow implies that this animal was in ideal living conditions and was not subjected to the confines of a cage or abuse.

Taste: This is one of the greatest factors that is going to separate this product from everything else on the market. I had the Belgian Chocolate and by no means am i exaggerating when I say that it was extremely delicious and one of the best tasting protein flavors I have ever consumed. Anyone who has taking tubs and tubs of protein knows that there is a "powdery" or "chalky" taste whether large or small it is usually apparent, and we all know this. However, this Belgian Chocolate taste like chocolate that has been melted over a pan and squeezed into your shake. It is rich in flavor and it does not give off that sugary/overwhelmingly sweet taste. 9.5/10

Mixability: Throw it in your oatmeal, milk, water, and it will mix with ease. no issues here, no junks, no foam.

Dosing: 1 scoop/ 30 servings per container.

It is difficult to assess if a protein powder is a single cause for the multitude of factors that also need to be considered if we were to evaluate one's muscle/strength increases. Without diving too deep, I maintained consuming this protein and as I am currently bulking I have gradually seen some mass and strength gains. Whether this protein cause this progression I can not say, but merely I am stating my experience.

This protein runs for $35.99. I do believe this price tag is slightly on the higher side. I do not want this price tag to deter anyone from trying this and experiencing for the first time in their lifting career what a gourmet protein shake is like..also keep in my that grass fed animals do cost more to sustain as reflected by the large price tag.

Side Effects

No observed side effects.

Conclusion

Catalyst is an protein that will standout because of its indulging flavor and its mindfulness towards only proving whey protein from Grass Fed animals. In addition, this protein uses a higher concentration of whey protein isolate as compared to many of its counterparts which are more abundant in whey protein concentrate. The price tag of 35.99 is slightly above what one would find fit for their budget, but once one weighs the nobility in using grass fed protein, the cost of the more refined protein isolate, and the pleasantness ensured through their flavors, one can be certain if this protein is right for them.
  • Belgian Chocolate: 10/10

March 22, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Low Fat And Carb Profile
  • NSF Certified
  • Lower In Sodium
  • Bitter Aftertaste

I'm a competing powerlifer, who is cutting down to the 84kg weight class- just made weight last week. I train 5-6 days a week with two high volume days and three intensity days (one for each of my three main lifts).

I've been cutting at 1-2lbs/week and go through a lot of shakes to keep my protein count up and calories down. I drank this product for the most part, but I also used it to make whey peanut butter cups and protein bars.

There are relatively few ingredients in this protein powder. It's got whey isolate and concentrate. It doesn't state the amounts of each, but the isolate is listed first and the cholesterol is pretty low (20mg), so my guess is there's more isolate than concentrate. It's sweetened with stevia, has some dextrose, natural and artificial flavors, and is colored with beet juice powder.

Macros:

This is a pretty lean product. It's 110 cals per scoop, 1/2 gram of fat, 3 grams carbs (1g sugar), and 24g of protein per 30g scoop.

The taste gets a 7 from me. The initial taste reminded me of Swiss Miss, which brought some pleasant childhood nostalgia for me, but there was this aftertaste that was bitter, which took away some points.

The bitterness wasn't there with every sip, but once you noticed it, it didn't go away until I rinsed out my mouth with water or something. I think it's the stevia, which I've heard can give a bitter aftertaste. I don't use it, so I wouldn't know for sure. If you already use/like stevia, then it may not bother you at all.

This was only a problem when I was drinking the product. When I used it to make the peanut butter cups or protein bars, there were other components mixed in, peanut butter, sugar, etc, so I didn't taste any bitterness. It also cooks well, so if you like making protein desserts, that's a plus.

I found that the product mixed well. I usually use a blender, but I did test the product with a shaker bottle a few times, and I didn't have any clumping issues.

In terms of dosing, I think 1 scoop is a good dose. There's some debate as to how much whey you need to optimize muscle protein synthesis. Some people say 20g is enough. Others say a higher amount is better. 24-25g is about as much as you can expect in a 31g scoop, so I think Catalyst did well here. Also, if you add a cup of skim milk, that brings you to 32g of high quality protein in 190 calories, which is pretty great for cutting (or if you just want your calories to go elsewhere).

When I drank the protein, I'd use a scoop post workout. I found that my recovery went pretty well through out the past month (I'm eating 1g/lb LBM in protein), but whey is whey. It's hard for me to say that 1 protein powder is more or less effective than another.

This is a grass fed whey which will cost more than your ordinary protein powders, so I compared Catalyst to other grass fed products I found online to try and assess its value.

I've seen grass fed whey products range from $11/lb to $26/lb, so there's a lot of variety there. The best deal I found for Catalyst was a 2lb tub AND their preworkout for $23 (at Supplement Hunt), so that's a pretty fair deal even if you don't care for the pre-workout.

It's also NSF certified, which is a plus if you're a drug-tested athlete and are concerned about the potential for cross contamination with a prohibited supplement.

Side Effects

No side effects here. I'm not lactose intolerant, nor do I have any food allergies. If you have any food allergies, you should know that there is an allergen warning on the product.

"This product was produced in a facility that may also process ingredients containing milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans."

Conclusion

I think there are some pretty good things going for this product: a really decent price considering that it's grass fed, macros that are pretty good if you're cutting, works well in desserts, and is NSF certified. but the bitterness kept me from getting excited about drinking it. I think it's worth considering if you want a grass fed product or are avoiding artificial colors or want a stevia sweetened product, but I would rather go with something less bitter.

7.1
5.1
  March 22, 2017

• Bitter Aftertaste

First, thanks to Strength.com for participating in the Troops program here. I was very excited to try this protein because it looked to be very high quality and seemed very clean coming from grass fed cows and being hormone free with very few ingredients. Usually my daily protein is the MyProtein Impact Whey, and I found this to be on par in many respects, while not as good in others. This will be a shorter review overall, since the protein itself is very straight forward and basic-- which is also one of the things that makes it great. But, there's just not a heck of a lot to cover.

Very straight forward, per serving you get:
24g of protein, in 110 calories, with 2g sugar, 1g fiber, 3g carbs, 20mg cholesterol, and .5g of fat-- along with 116mg of calcium, and a trace of iron (.83mg).

Sweetened with Stevia, and also contains dextrose-- both "natural" sweeteners

This contains 25% more protein per serving than my usual MP brand, and 10 more calories. Nearly identical besides that.

I requested and received Vanilla, as that's what I usually buy myself and figured it would be best to take that for comparison on taste.

The protein mixed well overall. In a morning shake using a blender it didn't stick to the sides quite as much as my normal protein, and had no chunks. After lifting I'd mix this with a spoon in some water and that was a little tougher. If I used the side of the spoon to break up the big chunks I was eventually able to mix it well enough that I wouldn't feel any chunks while drinking it, but I never got it quite perfect-- but I've also yet to meet the protein that I have!!

As far as taste, this is where I was most disappointed. I don't usually buy things sweetened with Stevia, and I think I'll continue to avoid it. Every time I drank this, it tasted great up-front but finished with this sort of bitterness that was really unpleasant and lingered. If you're used to Stevia, maybe it won't be a problem. For me as someone who isn't, it was. It made it difficult to finish.

Effectiveness was good. There was no increase in DOMS after switching over, and maybe even a slight improvement. I was getting more protein per serving, and it was fueling me up without weighing me down. It's so protein rich, with so little content besides that, this is exactly what I'd expect. I felt great every time after drinking it.

I also appreciated that the scoop was clear. Maybe minor, but I always worry there are voids in the scoop when I mix my protein. No need to worry about that here though!

Catalyst is too expensive. The best price I found online was $44.99 from their own website. For 30 servings, that's $1.50 each. When you're taking multiple servings throughout the day, it adds up quick and runs out fast.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall I think this is a quality product, and I think my lack of exposure to Stevia in general is the reason I had an issue with the taste. If it's something you're used to eating, you'd probably love this stuff. I do think they need to get the price down though, and I would love to see them release a different sweetener option. Thanks again to Strength and give this a shot if you're looking for a nice clean protein with natural ingredients!
  • Natural vanilla: 7/10