Ranks #54 (better than 50%)
In: Protein > Whey Protein

Catalyst Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Catalyst by Strength.com. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Protein > Whey Protein

Welcome to SupplementReviews.com

The supplement industry is notorious for agressive marketing and misinformation.

wjmathewsx
TROOPer Level: 47
  April 13, 2017

(Thanks to Catalyst by Strength.com for sending it out!)
Hey fit fam!! I picked up a bag of this Whey Protein from Catalyst.com because I had never tried a grass fed whey protein before. Based on what I had researched I decided to give it a shot to see if it was any different than the other whey proteins I had tried. I appreciate Strength.com and SR.com partnering to allow us to try out product like this.

----Ingredient Profile----
Grass fed Whey Protein Blend- 3:1 isolate to concentrate ratio. Pretty self explanatory. If you are into fitness and nutrition then you already know what this is. The website strength.com claims Grass Fed Whey is the new, cutting-edge standard that high performance athletes, trainers and coaches can trust. Grass Fed Whey is hormone free with no banned substances and features all-natural Stevia for a rich dessert-like taste you'll love.

Other ingredients in the Belgian Choc are Cocoa Bean Powder, Dextrose, Natural Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Stevia rebaudiana Leaf Extract.

I feel like I should mention here that it also only has a half gram of fat and only 3 carbs per scoop as well. That is EXCELLENT for a protein powder if you are looking to cut some weight.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
Taste- The taste is GREAT! I thought it might taste a little different than other proteins I was used to since it had stevia added to it. It did.... it actually tasted better than a few of the proteins I've had in the past. I was impressed with the Belgian Chocolate I received.

Mixability- Mixes great. No clumping, no "frothiness" at the top for me.

Dosing- One scoop with about 6-10 ounces of water depending on how thick you like your shakes.

----Effectiveness----
I must say. I thought it was just as effective as the other protein powders I have used in the past. It's really hard to tell with protein powders if one is better than the other. That's the big problem. If you are a stickler about being all natural and using no banned substances like a lot of folks are then you would definitely be interested in this. If that stuff doesn't matter to you then you are probably going to stick to the normal powders because of the cost.

----Value----
Stength.com has it listed for 44.99 for the chocolate currently. The strawberry is on sale for $35.99. Both prices are for 2lbs. This is pretty much par for whey protein blends. I tried to find it in a bigger size but can only seem to find it in 2lbs. A bigger size might cost more and scare the consumer away I suppose but if someone doesn't mind the cost then it might be beneficial to make a bigger size. Very few give you a 3:1 ratio of proteins. So on that note it seems to make it worth the extra $5-$10 you will spend for this. I would definitely recommend it if you could find it on sale somewhere. Paying full price might be a bit to steep for the average Joe.

NONE

----Conclusion----
In conclusion, I liked the taste the best of anything with this. I love that its from grass fed sources. It's got an extremely low fat and carb profile which helps when you are cutting. My only issue is the cost. If they brought it down to a normal price of around $35.99 (their current sale price) then I might be even more likely to recommend it to folks. Once, again I would like to thank both strength.com and sr.com for the opportunity to review this product. I really appreciate it.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Lower In Sodium
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Great Tasting
  • Naturally Sweetened
  • Only Available In 2 Lbs
  • Belgian Chocolate: 9/10
Chuntz
TROOPer Level: 34
  April 4, 2017

----Introduction----

First off, thank you to Strength.com for sending this out. I'm always interested in trying out proteins from new companies. My biggest reason for wanting to give this a try was because I've never had grass fed whey before and wanted to see how it compared to proteins I taken in the past.

----Ingredient Profile----

Alright. As I mentioned above this is a grass fed protein (grass fed cows) blend made up of isolate and concentrate coming in at 24g of protein per serving. According to Strength it is a 3:1 ratio of protein, so more isolate. As blends are sometimes viewed as negative, I believe its better that it is predominantly isolate. This is also sweetened with stevia, but this did not bother me taste wise as it did others. I think the biggest selling point here is that it is a grass fed protein.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----

Taste

I had Belgium Chocolate flavor. Despite others saying that they did not like the aftertaste of the shake, I never experienced that. I thought it had a rich flavor overall, richer than Optimum Nutritions Double Rich Chocolate for example.

Mixability

Overall this mixed fairly well. Occasionally there were slight clumps, nothing huge. I feel like the protein itself was pretty dense. For example, when I scooped it out and went to put it into my shaker, it would come out in a solid clump and not just break apart. It was dense.

I dosed this specifically post workout at 1 scoop in 8oz of water, even though they recommend 12oz. I felt it was too watered down with that much.

----Effectiveness----

Judging protein is always difficult. Digestion was normal. I consumed a shake some morning (other morning I would have an optimum nutrition shake just to change up flavors), but I always used Catalyst as my post workout shake. I'm super low carb right now so being that there are only 3g of carbs per serving really appealed to me. Everything about this protein seemed to be in check when compared to others strength and recovery wise. I never felt that Catalyst was stopping me from reaching my goals. Overall it fit into my diet and goals well.

----Value----

The cheapest I came across this was $44.95 on Amazon plus $6 shipping, so $50.95 (not available for Amazon Prime). I did find it on newegg.com for $41 and they claimed to be free shipping but after I put in all my information it was $6 for shipping, $3.23 in taxes, so the total comes out to $50.23. You'll end up paying around $50 no matter where you pick this up.

----Packaging----

Had to add this in there because I felt it needed to be addressed. I was never a big fan of zip-lock bags for protein, but this was by far one of the worst I have encountered. The first time I opened the bag it took me forever to reseal it. It just refused to go back together. Once sealed, there was still a gap between the zip and the actual bag, so it was never perfectly sealed. Just after a week of using it, the entire zip broke off of the bag leaving me to either transfer the remaining protein into another container or just roll it shut like a bag of chips. I believe they need to work on their packaging. I'm not saying to ditch the bag, but at least improve the zip-lock.

----Side Effects----

No side affects. Normal digestion. No extra gas.

----Conclusion----

I enjoyed Catalyst. It has a good profile, delicious taste, low in carbs and fit into my daily food intake. Seeing what else this company puts out would interest me. After checking out their website further they actually have a lot of supplements out from protein to creatine and other dietary supplements.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Great Tasting
pancow
TROOPer Level: 67
  April 3, 2017

----Introduction----

Snup again SR! First I would like to thank Strength.com for sending this whey protein out, and the SR TROOP's program for making the connection possible. Generally I only use one scoop of protein for shakes, but will use a bit more throughout days to add into food. This whey fit in fine with foods, but while drinking this I couldn't stop hating the artificial sweetener after taste.

----Ingredient Profile----

The ingredient profile is decent, but when it comes to expensive protein, I don't need it mixed with concentrate. Yeah it's 3:1 ratio cool. Still a blend. 110 calories per serving with low carbs and no fats makes this an easy protein to use for any diet choice. 24g's of protein is a reasonable amount and becoming quite common to see for protein powders nowadays without the ability to amino spike now haha

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----

Taste is okay at first with the chocolate Belgian flavor (in shake form), but a few mins afterwards the damn stevia sweetener is still lingering. I f*ing hate stevia taste with a passion, but obviously it's used by most companies. I know kidding ate some Gardettos afterwards to get the taste off my tongue lol

Mixing isn't too bad in water and milk. A little clumping for me so got a bit more of arm workout shaking the heck out of it.

Dosing is kind of on your own. Use it whenever you need protein filled in your diet. That's how I use protein powders anyways.

----Effectiveness----

The effectiveness is based off of how I digested this and if I felt like the protein was being used. Recovery wise nothing went up or down, so the protein had to be good enough for body to use the macro correctly. I had no digestive issues and restroom visits were all fine, so the quality is good enough for my stomach to handle.

Muscle building wise - well it's protein so if you recover like you're supposed to and eat plenty of nutrients then this will help you. Other than this I don't have much else to report for effectiveness. No runs and fine after using.

----Value----

Only found this for $44.95 and I think that's a bit pricey. Yeah the dairy is grass fed whey, but it's isolate and concentrate. Maybe if it was all isolate then I'd get the higher price mark, but I consider adding concentrate is to "dilute" the formula. I get it, it's a 3:1 formula. Cool. Not a big deal if price matched this, but it's priced as if a protein isolate organic product is. I didn't value too hard though because it does contain 30 servings. Been noticing a lot of brands only having 20-25 servings now.

No side effects

----Conclusion----

Strength.com produced a decent grass fed way product for us to select from, but I feel the price needs to be dropped unless it becomes a full isolate protein product. Thanks for allowing me to review this supplement strength.com!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Belgian Chocolate: 6/10
JayT
TROOPer Level: 56
  March 28, 2017

----Introduction + Ingredient Profile----
Protein is a staple supplement, and I am always willing to try new brands of protein if I believe they are to be of high-quality. This protein really caught my attention because of three big reasons: 1. It comes from grass-fed cows. Any meat that I have eaten for the past two years have come from free-range, pasture-fed, humanely raised animals. I am not trying to sound like a big D-bag by saying that, I just believe in the ethics of them being raised that way, the benefit it has on our environment, and how much healthier it is for you. Not to mention the taste in grass-fed red meat especially. The increase in price is worth it for me. Now, I am not totally sure the cows used to make the protein for Catalyst Whey are completely grass-fed because I believe that as long as they have some access to grass they can be considered grass-fed. However, it is better than nothing in my opinion. Most protein powders that are labeled as being grass-fed are ridiculously high in price. For that I cannot justify spending that much more money for a protein powder. 2. It is said to be a 3-1 ratio of isolate to concentrate according to Strength.com. We know that isolate is a higher quality than concentrate. Do not think I have to say much more about that. 3. It is naturally sweetened with Stevia. I always prefer the naturally sweetened supplements over the ones made with Sucralose and Ace-k when possible. Other things to like are that it is low in calories (110), on the higher side of protein with 24g of it, low in fat (0.5), and contains only 3 g of carbs.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
Taste 7/10: I received the Belgian Chocolate and the initial taste was probably a 9/10. It was great at first. However, there was a bitter aftertaste where I had to deduct two points. Like I said above, I prefer Stevia to artificial sweeteners, but I know that it could result in that bitterness. I have had MyProtein's Impact Whey sweetened with Stevia and that does not contain that bitterness.

Mixability 8/10: This was not a perfect mixing protein; it clumped up a little bit. Kind of on the lower end of proteins which are mostly isolate, but not awful.

Dosing 10/10: They suggest mixing one scoop in 12 oz. cold water and to drink first thing in the morning or throughout the day. We know protein can be taken however the user sees fit. I took this immediately post-workout in 8 oz. almond milk or blended up as a smoothie.

----Effectiveness----
I did not have any issues digesting this protein. I found that the taste was great aside from the final few sips. Throwing it in a smoothie basically took care of the aftertaste though. I was working out six times a week while using this and stuck with one scoop post-workout. Strength gains were consistent and recovery was on par with all other proteins I have had in the past.

----Value----
If you do not mind having the Strawberry flavor, that could be found on Amazon for $35 and it is Prime eligible. With about 30 servings, that comes out to $1.17 a serving. For some reason, I cannot find the chocolate or vanilla on Amazon. All three flavors could be found on Strength.com and that will run you $45 for 30 servings coming out to $1.50 each. I believe this protein competes with all of the other higher end proteins on the market and feel the $1.17 per serving is pretty competitive for the quality in here. I like strawberry proteins for the most part, so that is what I would purchase in the future.

----Side Effects----
None except bitter aftertaste.

----Conclusion----
Really enjoyed this protein. I think if they could tone down the Stevia a bit more and get this out to other websites for sale/offer bigger sized containers, it would be one of the top proteins on the market. I am definitely interested in purchasing this in the future and would 100% recommend it.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Naturally Sweetened
  • Only Available In 2 Lbs
sergiosays
TROOPer Level: 27
  March 23, 2017

----Introduction----

Hello friends, just like many other lifters whey protein is a staple in my diet. I consume at least 2 servings of whey protein a day, and please read on to hear about my unique experience with Catalyst Whey Protein.

----Ingredient Profile----

This product is mainly comprised of a 3:1 blend of whey isolate to whey protein concentrate. both forms of protein are used to build muscle as help the body recover/repair damage/strained muscles. (whey protein is considered a more pure form of protein).

Grass Fed: This aspect pertains to the ethics that surround the raising of the cow(which whey derives from). Grass Fed cow implies that this animal was in ideal living conditions and was not subjected to the confines of a cage or abuse.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----

Taste: This is one of the greatest factors that is going to separate this product from everything else on the market. I had the Belgian Chocolate and by no means am i exaggerating when I say that it was extremely delicious and one of the best tasting protein flavors I have ever consumed. Anyone who has taking tubs and tubs of protein knows that there is a "powdery" or "chalky" taste whether large or small it is usually apparent, and we all know this. However, this Belgian Chocolate taste like chocolate that has been melted over a pan and squeezed into your shake. It is rich in flavor and it does not give off that sugary/overwhelmingly sweet taste. 9.5/10

Mixability: Throw it in your oatmeal, milk, water, and it will mix with ease. no issues here, no junks, no foam.

Dosing: 1 scoop/ 30 servings per container.

----Effectiveness----

It is difficult to assess if a protein powder is a single cause for the multitude of factors that also need to be considered if we were to evaluate one's muscle/strength increases. Without diving too deep, I maintained consuming this protein and as I am currently bulking I have gradually seen some mass and strength gains. Whether this protein cause this progression I can not say, but merely I am stating my experience.

----Value----

This protein runs for $35.99. I do believe this price tag is slightly on the higher side. I do not want this price tag to deter anyone from trying this and experiencing for the first time in their lifting career what a gourmet protein shake is like..also keep in my that grass fed animals do cost more to sustain as reflected by the large price tag.

----Side Effects----

No observed side effects.

----Conclusion----

Catalyst is an protein that will standout because of its indulging flavor and its mindfulness towards only proving whey protein from Grass Fed animals. In addition, this protein uses a higher concentration of whey protein isolate as compared to many of its counterparts which are more abundant in whey protein concentrate. The price tag of 35.99 is slightly above what one would find fit for their budget, but once one weighs the nobility in using grass fed protein, the cost of the more refined protein isolate, and the pleasantness ensured through their flavors, one can be certain if this protein is right for them.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Lower In Sodium
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Great Tasting
  • Belgian Chocolate: 10/10
smashley23
TROOPer Level: 20
  March 22, 2017

----Introduction----

I'm a competing powerlifer, who is cutting down to the 84kg weight class- just made weight last week. I train 5-6 days a week with two high volume days and three intensity days (one for each of my three main lifts).

I've been cutting at 1-2lbs/week and go through a lot of shakes to keep my protein count up and calories down. I drank this product for the most part, but I also used it to make whey peanut butter cups and protein bars.

----Ingredient Profile----

There are relatively few ingredients in this protein powder. It's got whey isolate and concentrate. It doesn't state the amounts of each, but the isolate is listed first and the cholesterol is pretty low (20mg), so my guess is there's more isolate than concentrate. It's sweetened with stevia, has some dextrose, natural and artificial flavors, and is colored with beet juice powder.

Macros:

This is a pretty lean product. It's 110 cals per scoop, 1/2 gram of fat, 3 grams carbs (1g sugar), and 24g of protein per 30g scoop.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----

The taste gets a 7 from me. The initial taste reminded me of Swiss Miss, which brought some pleasant childhood nostalgia for me, but there was this aftertaste that was bitter, which took away some points.

The bitterness wasn't there with every sip, but once you noticed it, it didn't go away until I rinsed out my mouth with water or something. I think it's the stevia, which I've heard can give a bitter aftertaste. I don't use it, so I wouldn't know for sure. If you already use/like stevia, then it may not bother you at all.

This was only a problem when I was drinking the product. When I used it to make the peanut butter cups or protein bars, there were other components mixed in, peanut butter, sugar, etc, so I didn't taste any bitterness. It also cooks well, so if you like making protein desserts, that's a plus.

I found that the product mixed well. I usually use a blender, but I did test the product with a shaker bottle a few times, and I didn't have any clumping issues.

In terms of dosing, I think 1 scoop is a good dose. There's some debate as to how much whey you need to optimize muscle protein synthesis. Some people say 20g is enough. Others say a higher amount is better. 24-25g is about as much as you can expect in a 31g scoop, so I think Catalyst did well here. Also, if you add a cup of skim milk, that brings you to 32g of high quality protein in 190 calories, which is pretty great for cutting (or if you just want your calories to go elsewhere).

----Effectiveness----

When I drank the protein, I'd use a scoop post workout. I found that my recovery went pretty well through out the past month (I'm eating 1g/lb LBM in protein), but whey is whey. It's hard for me to say that 1 protein powder is more or less effective than another.

----Value----

This is a grass fed whey which will cost more than your ordinary protein powders, so I compared Catalyst to other grass fed products I found online to try and assess its value.

I've seen grass fed whey products range from $11/lb to $26/lb, so there's a lot of variety there. The best deal I found for Catalyst was a 2lb tub AND their preworkout for $23 (at Supplement Hunt), so that's a pretty fair deal even if you don't care for the pre-workout.

It's also NSF certified, which is a plus if you're a drug-tested athlete and are concerned about the potential for cross contamination with a prohibited supplement.

----Side Effects----

No side effects here. I'm not lactose intolerant, nor do I have any food allergies. If you have any food allergies, you should know that there is an allergen warning on the product.

"This product was produced in a facility that may also process ingredients containing milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans."

----Conclusion----

I think there are some pretty good things going for this product: a really decent price considering that it's grass fed, macros that are pretty good if you're cutting, works well in desserts, and is NSF certified. but the bitterness kept me from getting excited about drinking it. I think it's worth considering if you want a grass fed product or are avoiding artificial colors or want a stevia sweetened product, but I would rather go with something less bitter.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Lower In Sodium
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • NSF Certified
  • Low Fat And Carb Profile
  • Bitter Aftertaste
bctuthill
TROOPer Level: 27
  March 22, 2017

----Introduction----
First, thanks to Strength.com for participating in the Troops program here. I was very excited to try this protein because it looked to be very high quality and seemed very clean coming from grass fed cows and being hormone free with very few ingredients. Usually my daily protein is the MyProtein Impact Whey, and I found this to be on par in many respects, while not as good in others. This will be a shorter review overall, since the protein itself is very straight forward and basic-- which is also one of the things that makes it great. But, there's just not a heck of a lot to cover.

----Ingredient Profile----
Very straight forward, per serving you get:
24g of protein, in 110 calories, with 2g sugar, 1g fiber, 3g carbs, 20mg cholesterol, and .5g of fat-- along with 116mg of calcium, and a trace of iron (.83mg).

Sweetened with Stevia, and also contains dextrose-- both "natural" sweeteners

This contains 25% more protein per serving than my usual MP brand, and 10 more calories. Nearly identical besides that.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
I requested and received Vanilla, as that's what I usually buy myself and figured it would be best to take that for comparison on taste.

The protein mixed well overall. In a morning shake using a blender it didn't stick to the sides quite as much as my normal protein, and had no chunks. After lifting I'd mix this with a spoon in some water and that was a little tougher. If I used the side of the spoon to break up the big chunks I was eventually able to mix it well enough that I wouldn't feel any chunks while drinking it, but I never got it quite perfect-- but I've also yet to meet the protein that I have!!

As far as taste, this is where I was most disappointed. I don't usually buy things sweetened with Stevia, and I think I'll continue to avoid it. Every time I drank this, it tasted great up-front but finished with this sort of bitterness that was really unpleasant and lingered. If you're used to Stevia, maybe it won't be a problem. For me as someone who isn't, it was. It made it difficult to finish.

----Effectiveness----
Effectiveness was good. There was no increase in DOMS after switching over, and maybe even a slight improvement. I was getting more protein per serving, and it was fueling me up without weighing me down. It's so protein rich, with so little content besides that, this is exactly what I'd expect. I felt great every time after drinking it.

I also appreciated that the scoop was clear. Maybe minor, but I always worry there are voids in the scoop when I mix my protein. No need to worry about that here though!

----Value----
Catalyst is too expensive. The best price I found online was $44.99 from their own website. For 30 servings, that's $1.50 each. When you're taking multiple servings throughout the day, it adds up quick and runs out fast.

----Conclusion----
Overall I think this is a quality product, and I think my lack of exposure to Stevia in general is the reason I had an issue with the taste. If it's something you're used to eating, you'd probably love this stuff. I do think they need to get the price down though, and I would love to see them release a different sweetener option. Thanks again to Strength and give this a shot if you're looking for a nice clean protein with natural ingredients!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Natural vanilla: 7/10
WarMachine
TROOPer Level: 70
  March 17, 2017

----Introduction----

A special thanks to Catalyst By Strength.com for their participation in the ER/TROOPs program. Today, I discuss my experiences with their protein supplement Catalyst whey, which I'll just call Catalyst. Protein.....the prime foundation staple of many of our supplement regimens. Regardless what your fitness goals are geared towards, there is always an area where supplementing with some extra protein can be a necessity. Of course, nothing beats good wholesome food, but having a protein supplement on hand is always good reassurance. There are so many protein supplements out there that it seems like we're are usually never content with just one. For me, when choosing a good protein product, I like the cleanest and highest quality that I can get, as do most of us.

So how does Catalyst hold up to these demands?

----Ingredient Profile----

As with most protein products the profile is very straightforwards. Each scoop provides 24g of whey protein comprised of a combination of both isolate and concentrate. There is also 2g of sugar, 3g of carbohydrates, and 110 total calories.

The attraction point of Catalyst is that the whey source used is derived from grass-fed cows. Milk derived from grass-fed cows is said to have higher bioavailable nutrient content and contain higher levels of CLA with a more complete amino acid profile.

Worth noting that Catalyst whey also contains a small amount of dextrose and is sweetened with stevia.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----

I received th Belgian Chocolate flavored and found it enjoyable. Though, it's definitely more enjoyable in milk than water. It mixed fine for me regardless how I prepared it and didn't leave any large undissolved globs.

Dosing with protein supplements depends solely on how much protein you need in a day. Me personally, I took 2 servings on training days, one in the morning and one sometime post workout following amino acids and creatine. On non training days, I would take one serving usually in the morning.

----Effectiveness----

As I explained in previous reviews of other proteins, how you gauge efficacy depends on how you feel it helped meet your protein requirements. Catalyst whey did a great job in providing me with the extra amounts of high quality protein I needed throughout the day and helped keep my recovery on peak. The great taste, convenience, and quality of Catalyst made meeting protein quotas more enjoyable and accomplished.

The extra CLA content is said to aid in fat loss, but my diet right now is not geared towards that so I can't comment on the benefits in those areas. Potentially, it can help in weight loss with diet and training in check given that it's low calories and doesn't add a lot of extra carbs or sugar to your intake.

----Value----

The cheapest I found Catalyst whey was around 35 dollars on amazon, though I don't know if it's still currently available on the site. Considering that's for a 2lbs bag that may last you upwards of a month and that the protein is very good quality and consistency, I'd say that's not bad a price. The drawback though is that if you use multiple servings, this price can eventually begin to add up.

----Conclusion----

Catalyst whey is definitely a whey protein supplement I would recommend to anybody who wants to include a high quality, good tasting, well balanced protein supplement into their regimen in order to keep macro quotas in check. Be sure you're getting most of your nutrients from good food and as always keep your training in check. Also, try to catch this product on sale deals since the price tag can add up depending on how often you use protein supplements.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO BRUINS!!!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Great Tasting
Wade419
TROOPer Level: 43
  March 16, 2017

----Introduction----
I'm always on a constant conquest to find the best and most effective exercise supplements and I've never had the pleasure to try out a premium grass fed whey protein product yet, so I had to jump at the opportunity and see how Catalyst stacks up to the competition. Shout out to Strength.com for giving me a chance to give their flagship protein product a go!

----Ingredient Profile----
First off, I'd like to note that Strength.com was cool enough to get an NSF certification (National Sanitation Foundation) for Catalyst Grass Fed Whey to demonstrate that their product meets all the requirements for safe consumption for specifically sport athletes. I feel like small certifications like this do go a long way with showing its consumers that the company cares about their safety and well-being. There isn't much additional information on the grass fed aspect of this product other than the front label but I assume we'll have to take their word for it.

Calories: (30.85g Serving) 110
Fats: 0.5g
Proteins: 24g (Combination of Whey protein isolate & concentrate)
Carbohydrates: 3g
Sugars: 2g
Sodium: 150mg

Catalyst contains a fairly standard whey protein ingredient profile compared to its competitors. It does do a good job with keeping it a very high protein composition product with very low fats and carbohydrates to keep dieters happy and within their daily macro counts. It's mainly flavored with stevia and has minimal sugar included which is another plus for the product but a standard of the category. It also contains about the usual amount of sodium compared to other products so nothing particularly new or innovative there.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
I had the opportunity to try out the Belgian Chocolate flavor and I must say that it is probably one of the better chocolate whey protein products I've tasted in a long time especially considering the ingredient label, which is saying a lot. If taste is a big component of your criteria for purchasing a product than I'd say Catalyst is a good bet for the chocolate flavor. It mixes fairly well too with the standard 12oz of water without too much clumping as long as you give the bottle a good shake. The dosing is the same that you would expect from any whey protein product.

----Effectiveness----
I would personally have to say that this product is just as effective as any of the other whey protein products that use a combination of isolate and concentrate. It's usually a game of taste and whey protein quality in the game of protein powders and I feel like Catalyst does a good job at staying in the front of the pack. A good tasting high protein, low fats and carbohydrates product with the inclusion of utilizing grass fed cows. What more can you ask for from a whey protein product?

----Value----
The price of the 2lb bag of Catalyst can be found on Amazon.com for about $35 a pop. I'd say that it is a bit pricey with all things considered but I'm sure the main increase compared to other whey products is due to the use of grass fed cows. I'd personally trade the grass fed cows for a fully whey protein isolate formula but everyone has their own priorities when it comes to nutrition so I can respect a consumer that puts grass fed cows as a higher priority. I would still say that this type of product should be priced a bit cheaper in the $30 range but it's still decently priced at $35.

----Side Effects----
I personally had no adverse effects from using Catalyst Whey Protein.

----Conclusion----
Every single fitness enthusiast knows that the core of any individual's supplement stack revolves around protein since without it we wouldn't be able to synthesize all that hard-earned muscle mass! Strength.com took a slightly different approach from the norm by utilizing grass fed cows and even going the extra mile to get a NSF certification. Though the product could use a minor price cut, I believe that it's a great protein powder option for people that are looking for what it has to offer. Catalyst Grass Fed Whey is a well-rounded protein product that will surely help speed up lagging muscle groups after good 'ol hard hitting workouts at the gym. Cheers fellas!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Great Tasting
  • Belgian Chocolate: 8/10
Italy48
TROOPer Level: 25
  March 14, 2017

----Introduction----
Thank you to CATALYST by Strength.com for making this product available to the SR Troopers. I am really glad I had the opportunity to try out this Whey Protein product. The part that intrigued me the most was the fact that the cows were grass fed. This is not something I see everyday in a protein powder.

----Ingredient Profile----
One of the things that stood out to me in a positive way was the fact that this product came from grass fed cows. I give a huge thumbs up for this. I'm not going to spend a lot of time covering the difference between grass fed cows that are typically free roaming vs feedlot cows who are housed in unsanitary conditions and more often that not given antibiotics. Given the choice, I prefer grass fed cows due to being raised in healthier conditions most of the time and being able to roam and get fresh air. Kudos to this product for doing that. Onto the other ingredients. You get 24 grams of protein per scoop from whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate. Anywhere from 24-25 grams is your typical serving per scoop. Only 1 gram of sugar per scoop and the sodium in this product is lower than most I have used. There are 85 milligrams of sodium per scoop. This is flavored with Stevia which I prefer.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
I had the West Coast Strawberry flavor. In the past, strawberry flavors have been hit or miss for me. This one was absolutely delicious. It was as if I was drinking Nestle strawberry milk. I did not mind drinking this at any point during the run of this product. I mixed it with 10 ounces of cold water in a shaker cup. It mixed well. A little foaming at first but after 20 seconds it was ready to go. I'm sure mixing it with milk would have been off-the-charts good. I wish I would have tried mixing with milk one time just to experience the awesome taste. I dosed sometimes at 1 scoop and sometimes at 2 scoops depending on how much protein I needed to hit my macro targets for the day. Either way I mixed it with 10 ounces of cold water no matter if I used 1 or 2 scoops.

----Effectiveness----
As most people will say it is hard to say a protein powder is not effective or not doing what it is supposed to do unless it is completely blatant. I will rate this on stomach issues, recovery and progression in my lifts. I did not experience any stomach issues during the run of this product. There was no (extra) gas or upset stomach that I experienced. It went down easy and stayed down. If I ate breakfast, lunch or dinner directly before or after drinking this it did not bother me in any adverse way. As far as recovery goes, I feel it is right in line with the other top tier protein powders I have used. I had normal DOMS but nothing worse or anything that was far above the rest of the best protein powders I have used. I feel it helped me recover and did not cause me to be more or less sore than other proteins. I continued to make gains and progressions in my lifts. I hit all of the targets in my overload sets and I was able to continue to progress in drop sets. Just a side note, I did hit two PR's during the run of this product. As I stated above, I did experiment with 1 or 2 scoops. I did not notice any positives or negatives based on the amount of scoops I used.

----Value----
I found this cheapest on Strength.com at $44.99 for 30 servings which comes out to $1.49 per serving. I did notice Amazon does carry this but they were out of stock on it and I could not see their price. I did not see any other sites that carried this brand. I do find this to be a tad on the pricier side for a protein powder. I think once the price comes down and more distributors carry it, this is a home run product.

----Conclusion----
If you want a solid protein powder that tastes great and comes from grass fed cows then this is your product. The price is a bit steep but if you are willing to pay for this product I would give it a try at least once. As the price currently stands, this could be pricey to use for your everyday protein powder but if it were cheaper I would have have no issues using this protein on a daily basis.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Lower In Sodium
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • Great Tasting
  • West Coast Strawberry: 9/10