Casein Reviews

By: Catalyst by Strength.com

Overall
Overall

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Profile
  • Micellar Casein
  • Naturally Sweetened
  • Tastes Great
  • Only 1 Size
  • Only 1 Flavor

Hey SR peeps, as someone who loves a micellar casein protein Strength.com has really produced a product that I was only to eager to try. I was able to review this as part of a competition I won and man oh man... receiving this was really exciting because its rare to find a micellar casein product! So lemme tell you what my findings were!

Serving Size 1 Scoop (39.3g)
Serving Per Container 30

Protein 27g
Calcium 806 mg
Iron 0.75 mg
Sodium 95 mg

Micellar Casein, Peanut Flour, Cocoa Bean Powder, Natural Flavors, Dextrose, Stevia (Stevia rebaudiana) Leaf Extract, Salt, Inulin, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum. Contains: Milk, Soy, Peanuts.

A very very impressive profile and the core ingredient is my favorite - Micellar casein (none of that sodium caseinate inferior BS!). Micellar casein is the slowest digesting casein which digests up to 7 hours - this makes it ideal for extended fasting and before. What this ultimately means is that your body wont go into catabolic state due to there being a sustained and constant supply of amino acids - better recovery and suppressed appetite are the main effects here. basically turn a catabolic sleep into an anabolic one!

I really appreciate that this is free from fillers and naturally sweetened and will not play havok with your blood sugar levels. This also contain cocoa bean powder which is a nice touch. This profile is really great being low in carbohydrates and fat - so it really can aid you anytime of the day even post workout.

Taste

Peanut butter cup

WOW! by far one of the best ever tasting supplements I have ever used! This wasn't over sweet or bland but like a nice darker nutty chocolate flavor which was certainly a treat. I had this both alone and also added peanut butter before bed and obviously peanut butter improves anything it touches and made this an unbelievable treat cause to me it felt like a cheat cause it was that good! There is a lil hint of bitterness thats more apparent as a shake with a few oz of water. The texture to me is what really makes it pop - its like velvety and smooth, where drinking it felt guilty.

Unfortunately this is the only flavor that is available, so I mean what are they waiting for LOL.

Mixability

To my surprise this mixed really well, its not as thick as I expected but its super smooth, like honestly the best texture out there as it was thick yet slightly runny. But I didn't experience any issues in a shaker or powder being stuck to the top of the cap etc so really all and all this was great.

"Ideal for bedtime or periods of fasting. Mix one scoop (30g) with 6-8 oz. of water or your favorite beverage. Mix it with less liquid and add nut butter to make a pudding."

I personally was torn between using this before bed and when I start my fasting, But the protocol was different. Before bed with a few oz of water made into a pudding and thrown in the freezer or with 8oz of water first thing in the am when I start my fast.

Now to give any protein a 9 is pretty insane.. But considering I get to test the full effectiveness because I use it in the most appropriate times it was pretty easy to gauge. These are the most profound...

Recovery
Now with using this before bed was more or less ideal to gauge the effects of its recovery purposes. I found supplement with this I recovered quicker and was less sore the next day I woke. Now its nothing phenomenal but a slight improvement was certainly felt and definitely appreciated cause I do hur bad especially on larger body groups where I go all out. This is certainly something I would use before bed to improve overall recovery which will have you training harder the next day.

Appetite suppressant
This was definitely the most obvious effect here... fasting can be hard AF because hunger really hits hard. The main purpose of using this product was to defeat any sort of catabolism lurking around. This stuff kept me full and being full and satisfied is ofcourse key because when those hunger urges come they don't stop. I was able to to fast way longer than possible which was a blessing since my meal schedule is all over the place and I don't like a short fast so being able to do it longer than normal is key to the improved results I did get. This stuff is gold.

Lean muscle mass
Now its again hard to mention this without questions being thrown left, right and center but overall during my usage of this product I felt I looked better than I previously did because recovery was improved meaning I would hit the gym harder than usual which led to greater results to be honest. Again a small improvement but one that was more than welcomed.

Overall this is probably the best and most effective protein powder for me as it worked the way I intended it to, I used it at vital times and this stuff worked really well.

Price ($55)
30 servings - ($1.83 per scoop)
Dang this stuff is not cheap, no matter which way you look at it. I was fortunate enough to have won this but if I didn't win it I would not personally buy it considering its $55 for only 30 servings. I know this is micelllar casein but this is just a wallet buster I would pass, being it is in a pouch (which supposedly would make it cheaper) this was not the case. And you can basically only find it on their website because everywhere else this stuff is sold out or unavailable which is unfortunate - it is really a great product. Once the price comes down then I would definitely be keen.

Side Effects

0. none

Conclusion

A really fantastic product flexing on them other sodium caseinate proteins, but at this price its sadly losing to the competition. The texture and the taste are really fantastic and this is certainly one of my favorite products for the reason that it suits my lifestyle so well and it worked! It does need more flavors and larger sizes to really get on the map. But if money ain't an issue for ya then this is worth a try for sure! But nonetheless a great product that I would wish to purchase again.

Fridge
  • Peanut butter cup: 9/10

• Wis3guy
    October 20, 2018

Too bad on the price, I would have a hard time with that as well.....

• DaSlaya
    October 20, 2018

How many grams of Casein do you get per scoop?

• FRIDGE
    October 20, 2018

@wis3 yeah the price tag is literally unforgiving, but if it's on a bogo then it's worth it.
    Daslaya - it's not the most pure protein with it being I think 68% protein per scoop. But 27g of protein per scoop isn't bad and mixed with milk and peanut butter boosts that to like 40g