AminoX Soda Series Reviews

By: BSN

AminoX Soda Series is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by BSN. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.
7.1

Overall
Overall

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Proprietary Blend
  • Bad Mixability

Everybody involved in the supplement industry appreciates & accepts innovation, there comes a time when we all get tired of drinking the same recycled flavors that crash over the industry in trend waves. One brand does it, and all follow with intent to be better than the last. As more people flock into the world of fitness & health, supplement industries have to work their hardest to continue delivering new and innovative flavors in an attempt to stay relevant and appease to everybody's wants. I don't know who asked for Soda flavored BCAA's, but we got them. BSN isn't the first to do it, believe it or not. BPI Sports released their Soft Drink BCAA line at the end of 2017, bringing forth decent flavoring and even topping it off with fizz so that way if you filled your shaker cup a little too much it was guaranteed to explode like a shaken up Soda bottle. Talk about being authentic.

Now we have BSN's entry to the Soda flavored world, AminoX Soda Series. First released in Europe to a very accepting & loving crowd, AminoX appeared in the states with three flavors: Dr Amino, Cherry Cola, and Cola. Thanks to a BOGO sale, I was able to snag all three at a nifty price. I was very curious, but also scared at the same time. It seemed my gut feeling of fear turned out correct though, as AminoX is one of the worst BCAA products I've ever tasted. If you were to pour a glass of Cola, and leave it sit on your kitchen counter for a week, I imagine it'd taste a lot like all three flavors of AminoX. The sad part is, this isn't an awful BCAA product. We get a hefty 10g Amino blend along with 150mg of caffeine per serving, which seems like it'd be the perfect pick me up recovery product. With two proprietary blends though, what else is in it?

AminoX Soda Series features a 2 scoop serving size, which amounts to a total of 15g of product per serving. Unfortunately though, we get two proprietary blends, the first of which is an "Amino Acid Interfusion Blend". Topping off this first blend are your three BCAA's, Leucine, Valine, and Iso-Leucine. If you don't already know, the recommended dosing of a BCAA blend is anywhere from 5-10g. Since the three heavy hitters aren't the only thing in this blend though, I just assume we're getting at the least five grams. Next on the list we have L-Alanine, better known as Beta Alanine. Again, I can't imagine we're getting very much of it in the blend but they follow it up with L-Taurine & L-Citrulline, both of which are "pump enhancers", increasing blood flow to the muscle therefore enhancing nutrient flow and balance.

The 2nd proprietary blend is a relatively small blend at 2g, starting off with Sodium Bicarbonate. Outside of the caffeine, Sodium Bicarbonate is great pre-workout since it has the ability to balance pH in the blood and muscle tissues, reducing the overall acidity levels in your blood. Following that up is Citric Acid which the body can use to process fats & carbohydrates, which people believe could lead to weight loss benefits if dosed properly. We round off the blend with Malic Acid & Cholecalciferol, Malic Acid most known for it's ability to boost endurance as well as delay fatigue, and that big fancy word mentioned earlier is just Vitamin D. Since the majority of people are deficient in Vitamin D, it can play a huge role in cardiovascular health and recovery. All of this is nice and all, but it's all hidden away in these awful proprietary blends. We can assume it's all properly dosed, but who knows? The only thing not tucked away is the 150mg of Caffeine we get per serving.

If you're like me, than you're probably using your amino's more than just in the gym. I always make sure to throw a full serving in my gallon when at work or out for the day, and I've never had a worse experience getting all of my water in than the time I was using AminoX. Taste is what kills this product for me since it seems like they skipped the taste testing process in an effort to quickly get this to market faster. You know when the syrup runs out of the soda machine at your favorite restaurant and it comes out tasting like 90% water with that hint of syrup? That's the best way to describe every single sip of AminoX. On top of that, if you don't shake your shaker between each sip, you end up swallowing some of the powder which, if you peer hard enough into the cup, you can see floating around in there. Yes, I know a good BCAA product is supposed to have some floaties, but after the letting the two scoop serving sit in my cup for a little while I noticed a good amount of powder settling to the bottom. I would shake it up some more and within a few minutes, it was back to coating. Also, please don't ever leave this stuff in your shaker cup unless you feel like buying a new one. It took three runs of the dishwasher to finally use my shaker bottle again.

I went through three tubs of AminoX, drinking one serving during the day while at work and another while training. When combining it with a good pre-workout supplement, it didn't do much as far as extending my energy levels. I felt like the pre had over-powered it every single time leaving it just as a basic BCAA product. It gave me a little boost when a full serving was taken before my workout, but with unknown levels of Beta Alanine that I didn't feel anyways, it never made me feel ready to workout. It may have added a little pep in my step but there was zero increase in pump, or anything else that would allow this to be labeled as a pre-workout. When used outside of the gym though, I found myself actually enjoying the little energy boost it gave me while out and about. Since I couldn't stand drinking it in a gallon, I would toss two scoops in a shaker bottle and down it before I left the house. I found it a much better option than stopping off to buy an energy drink and if I really needed a kick, I'd just throw a few extra scoops into the cup.

As far as recovery goes, there wasn't anything about AminoX that made it standout above all the other BCAA products I've used. There was no real improvement in recovery time or even muscular endurance when used intra-training. In fact, I feel it did nothing more than really flavor my water. I hadn't used a BCAA product in a few weeks before picking this up and it saddens me to say that I almost felt nothing for the month and a half I used the product.

A full bottle of AminoX Soda Series gives you 20 servings when the directions are followed & has an average price of about $20. Just for perspective, BSN's standard AminoX gives you 30 servings for about $22. It doesn't have any caffeine but the few dollars difference makes up for it since they taste better and you'll get more life out of it. Across the board, prices for caffeinated versions of other brands BCAA vary by only a couple of dollars. There are plenty of brands though that aren't using proprietary blends, giving you more BCAA's, caffeine, and servings relatively close to the cost of AminoX Soda Series which basically means that you should dish out the few extra bucks and get a product you'll actually enjoy drinking.

Conclusion

At the end of the day, it's time to hit the drawing boards again. BSN's standard AminoX is one of my favorite BCAA products and if they can get that flavoring down with this amount of caffeine, there'd be zero complaints coming from me. The crazy thing is that the Soda Series could've worked really well had they had a transparent label and improved the flavoring profile by a ton, or just find some other soda flavors that are a little easier to fake. When all is done though, AminoX did nothing for me on all aspects. With zero improvements in recovery & muscular endurance, choking this product down for the little 150mg of caffeine just isn't worth it when there are so many other brands with a better product at a better value. This makes me wonder though, what are they going to think of next?
  • Cola : 2/10
  • Cherry Cola : 2/10
  • Dr Amino: 4/10

• dmf8625
    July 2, 2018

Nice review and kudos for actually finishing all three tubs with how unpleasant the flavors were!

• Unheard0f
    July 2, 2018

Thanks man! It was a struggle, I spent a lot of time questioning my decision to do so haha

• DaSlaya
    July 2, 2018

I get the Jurassic Park reference! Nice and nice review! I am using their Cold Stone Series protein right now, yeah I feel the same way, great idea poor execution!

• htevans
    July 2, 2018

That info about the cold stone flavors is the most depressing thing I have heard today.

• Wis3guy
    July 2, 2018

Are we talking ice cream, or stone cold Steve Austin beer?

• Unheard0f

Stone Cold Stunner.

BTW, That protein mixes awfully.

• shae2311
    July 3, 2018

Every cola flavored product I have ever tried has that flat taste to it. Good review saves me the money I wanted to try it