Amino X Edge Reviews

By: BSN

Amino X Edge is an Energized BCAA Supplement manufactured by BSN. It provides both BCAAs and stimulants to help keep you awake, energized and your muscles fed.

Overall
Overall
  February 18, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Prop Blends
  • Marketing Hype
  • Unexplained Ingredients And Their Effects

Hello all! Full intro on myself can be found on the forum here: https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=35432.0

I was sent a tub of this directly from BSN for winning a drawing from their online community that I am a part of. I did not get to choose the flavor and this showed up by surprise. This product seemed like many of the other stimulant based amino acid products on the market, so I decided to give it a try.

Serving Size 1 Scoop (15 g)
Servings Per Container 28
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Total Carbohydrate 1 g <1%
Vitamin D 500 IU 125%
Sodium 170 mg 7%
AMINO ACID INTERFUSION 10g **
Micronized BCAA Blend (L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine), L-Alanine, Micronized Taurine, Micronized L-Citrulline
EFFORSORB ENDURA COMPOSITE 2.3g **
Citric Acid, Malic Acid, Sodium Bicarbonate, Cholecalciferol
ENERGY & FOCUS BLEND 325mg **
Caffeine Anhydrous, Longan Extract (fruit)(as EUPHORIA FRUIT EXTRACT), Lindera Extract (root)
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
** Daily Value not established.
OTHER INGREDIENTS:
Natural and Artificial Flavor, Silicon Dioxide, Soy Lecithin, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Red 3
CONTAINS: Soy.

As you can see from the label, this product is nothing but prop blends for the active ingredients. The label states there is 10g of amino acids per scoop but does not say how many of those are BCAAs. In the amino acid blend, the BCAAs are listed first followed by some cheaper aminos to round out the dosage.

The next blend called the EFFORSORB ENDURA COMPOSITE seems like a lot of marketing to me. The ingredients do not seem like they would benefit the body in any way. All I could find on the BSN website is the blend is used as a delivery system. No further explanation on how or why.

The last blend contains the caffeine along with some "ancient exotic Chinese ingredients". BSN does tell you that each scoop as 125mg of caffeine from anhydrous and I was able to find the dosages for the two extracts (each at 100mg). Makes you wonder why BSN put all these ingredients under a blend on the label when they disclose the amount of each on the web.

Overall, I would like much more disclosure on this product in terms of the aminos along with a better explanation about the EFFORSORB ENDURA COMPOSITE blend. You do get a nice dose of Vitamin D in each scoop, so that is a positive if you are lacking that vitamin in your diet (as many people in society are).

Taste >> The flavor I received was strawberry orange. In my opinion, they forgot the strawberry flavor as all I get is orange. Personally, I am not a huge fan of orange flavored supplements, so this is not my favorite amino product to drink. It is palatable to drink with no bad after-taste or bad mouth feel.

Mixability >> Be warned!! This powder is very fine and will get everywhere if you are not careful. Not sure exactly why the powder is this way, as no other amino product I have used is like it. The fine powder does seem help with mixability though. In my experience throughout the entire tub, everything almost dissolved after a few shakes in my shaker bottle. Anything that was left over after the first few shakes was gone after shaking it again once everything settled. Not a lot of foam to report, which disturbs me a little bit since I associated foam many with having a high dose of Leucine.

Dosing >> I personally used this product two ways. The first and most common was as an intra workout drink. One scoop in a full shaker of cold water and it would last me through the workout. I also used this as an energy drink replacement in the mornings and mid afternoons. Same dosing of a scoop in a full shaker of water. While not as strong as some energy drinks on the market in terms of caffeine, it was enough to give me energy for a few hours. Plus I knew it was better for my body that a high sugar energy drink.

In terms of effectiveness, beyond the caffeine kick is up to debate. Are you a person who believes BCAAs and other aminos help build muscle or at least stop muscle breakdown. I personally did not notice any differences of improved muscle recovery or focus beyond what the caffeine provides. Since most of the ingredients are hidden behind prop blends, I have no idea of they are dosed high enough to be effective. Beyond knowing I was receiving a nice dose of vitamin D, this product working is up in the air.

Currently this is listed on BB.com for $19.99 for the 28 serving tub. From what I have seen on the market, this price is pretty standard for an energy amino product. If you are a person who is looking for something that contains more than just BCAAs, then you might want to look at this. Personally, my value rating is lower because of all the prop blends and not being able to know the dosages of each ingredient that I am receiving. I also did not really enjoy the taste of the flavor I received, which also effected my value rating of the product. Please also note, most energy amino products have at least 30 servings, while this one is only 28 (and you will probably get less because of spillage from the fine powder).

Side Effects

None to report and I could not foresee any unless you are allergic to one of the ingredients. The most likely to cause any issue would probably be the extracts in the energy and focus blend.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I am glad that I received this product for free because it is not something I would personally spend my money on if I had a choice. In 2018, prop blends should not exist anymore in my opinion, especially on an amino product. I also believe this product has a lot of marketing hype behind it and I would trade that for a solid full disclosure formula any day of the week. The strawberry orange flavor could also use a re-work with more strawberry added in.

Thank you for reading my review and let me know if you have any questions