Whey HD Reviews

By: BPI Sports

FORUM TOPICS

Protein > Whey Protein
Whey HD is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by BPI Sports. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

October 23, 2018

A review of supplemental protein. I work out often. I like to use supplements. This protein can help you hit your desired protein amount.

Here we go with another review of Protein Powder. Probably one of the most used supplements in my opinion. During this run I was lifting 4 days a week and doing some form of cardio on the other days. Wow that really seems familiar doesn't it.... Anyway, I picked up BPI's protein for 2 reasons. 1 it was a product that needed a review. 2, nutraplant had it on a great sale (cheapskate at heart). I used it to up my protein intake as well as add a chocolate cookie flavor to my morning smoothies.

We have a decent amount of protein per serving (25g's). With Zero Maltodextrin or fillers which is appreciated. They state "zero protein spiking" and verify it through ChromaDex. I guess that is good, but I didn't look into it but they seem proud of it. This has low sugar (2g's) which I also like as I am in a constant battle with the old expanding waistline. I would of liked to see less Cholesterol (lite me up if you want). One, because I don't personally think I need a lot of cholesterol as I generally have 3 eggs a day anyway. Two, in generally means a little lower quality protein (in my opinion, it generally has more concentrate and less Isolate). It is also low in fat, coming in at 3g's. So all in all it isn't a bad blend. I would like them to have a cleaner profile such as NutraBio, but I don't think this is really trying for that level of transparency. I would also have them drop Carrageenan out of the ingredients, but that is just me listening to a friend who has a reaction to it. (can cause swelling, joint pain etc.). Now for those of you who like labels, here we go.

Calories: 160

Protein: 25g's

Calcium: 300mg's

Sodium: 80mg's

Protein blend being:
Whey Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate

----Taste/Mix-ability/Dosing----

I bought what was on sale, which was Chocolate Cookie. I am not sure on the cookie part, but I did taste chocolate. Now this did not come across as a great chocolate taste. More of an ok flavor. I still like RCSS's proteins and MTS Machine Whey flavors better. So, drinkable just not a knock you out awesome type of thing.

I used anywhere from 4oz to 12oz of water (they suggest 5 to 6oz). I found that at 4 it did mix and gave a stronger sweeter flavor. However I generally used it at 12oz where I felt the chocolate cookie came out more and was less sweet. I guess it depends on your tastebuds. I also used it in my morning smoothies, which gave them a nice hint of chocolate. (feel free to check out my log to see what is in the daily smoothie).

Dosing with protein is simple. Take it when you want extra protein. Depending on what article you have read recently might change your mind. However for me I took it when I wanted to. I don't find adding a scoop of protein powder to water and drinking it is that challenging. It worked easily for me when I wanted to use it.

Effectiveness is an interesting thing to judge with protein. I kind of think it is like vitamins. You never know if you really need it or not. So I will break it down in the following ways. First off, when I added it to my morning smoothies I noticed that it kept me fuller a little bit longer. I normally have my second meal between 10 and 12. When I added protein it was always closer to 12. This is a good thing, since I probably have an unhealthy liking for food. Secondly this never gave me stomach issues. Some poor quality proteins have a tendency to give people gas or discomfort. I never had issues while taking this. This is also a good thing. Lastly for me, I noticed an uptick in recovery while taking this. Which is something all of us look for. It also means I probably don't get as much protein as I think I do from whole foods. So this was an added benefit. Bottom line is that this was effective for me. I think I have had better results with other products, but I have also had worse results. This one is right in the middle.

I found the following prices today (10/23/2018)

$24.80 on the old amazon website.

$31.95 on their website with an additional 35% with the code Halloween. ($20.77 if you don't like math or know how to ask SIRI)

$29.99 at nutraplanet, also to note it is a 4# tub, but only Granola Crunch or Banana Marshmellow exp 11/2018.

This seems to be priced at $1 a scoop for the 2.06#, I mean 1.8# umm 1.6# tub? I state this only because I found those numbers on different sites. However the tub on my table is 2.06#'s. In example my tub is 25 servings the tub on their site is 21 servings. Not sure what the deal is on that, but it is something to look at when purchasing. In comparing products this does seem a little high for what you get. I could get prosource's Nytrowhey for .91 cents a serving, not on sale (Whey Protein Isolate). Of course if I liked the discounted flavors that turns into .60 cents a serving, so it depends on what you find and what you like. I think this is a little high, but basically a meh price.

Side Effects

I had no negative side effects during my use of this product.

Conclusion

My final thoughts on this product is that I would probably pass. If it happens to be on clearance, I would probably buy it. But it doesn't compete with my go to brands at regular price. I do think that protein powders have gotten better over the years and have also cleaned up their profiles. This one just seems to be in that mediocre MEH category. It wasn't bad, I could tell it worked, it just happens that there are better products out there that I like. So if you find this on sale, or are just looking for something different to try go ahead and pull the trigger. As for me, it will have to be on sale for me to consider buying again. It isn't a "bad" product, it just isn't an elite product.
  • Chocolate Cookie: 7/10

September 4, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Value
  • Some Not So Great Ingredients

BPI Whey HD is a normal protein powder that can give you what you need if you are looking for a standard protein. The price is great.

I was looking for a protein powder on the market with a high amount of servings and at a reasonable price. I was able to find this on the Wal-Mart website for $35 and it had 50 servings but it was only available in the cookie and milk flavor which is great for me. I am a fan of cookies and cream, so I knew this would be a good one to try. It was an easy choice.

1 scoop

Calories from fat 30
Fat 3.5 g
Saturated fat 2 g
Carbs 4 g
Sugar 3 g
Protein 25 g

This is a protein blend of whey protein concentrate, milk protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, and milk protein isolate. It also has flour, sugar, vegetable oil, 2 percent or less high fructose corn syrup and sucralose. It is a good protein blend but does contain some items I try to avoid. Still, the amount of protein is good with a normal calorie, carb and sugar amount like other protein powders. I give it a normal review.

I was only able to get this one flavor at the discount price but there are many options. I bought the milk and cookies flavor which was great. I would mix 1-2 scoop with 5 to 10 oz of liquid (depending on scoop amount) immediately following workout. I enjoyed the almond milk mix the most. The water mix was not as good. The one scoop was 25 grams of protein. As long as the mix was almond milk, I give it a great rating for taste, mixability, and dosing. The rating would drop to ok if mixed with water.

The label says to use in conjunction with strength, muscle-building, nutrition, and weight loss programs. I do like how BPI Whey HD was upfront about what to expect from a whey protein. Sometimes you will find supplement products that make outrageous claims, but this one was on point. The straightforward answer is this was an effective protein since it is hard to rank with measurable elements. I had a good recovery after workouts. I was able to get the things that I needed with my protein. I would say it was effective, so I give it a high-ranking.

I was able to get this at a good price but I will review the normal tub. A 25 servings is $20 which is $0.80 pee serving and that is a great price for me. If I can get a good protein under $1.00 per serving, it is worth the money. I give this a great rating.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is a good protein. I like the ingredients. The taste was wonderful. The mixability and dosing was nice. It was effective and the price is fantastic. I had no side effects. This is a great product and one I would use for my everyday use. At this price, it will be a go to.
  • Milk and cookies : 8/10

Calories from fat 18
Total Fat 2 g 3%"
Saturated Fat 1 g 5%"
Cholesterol 50 mg 16%
Total Carbohydrate 3 g 100%"
Dietary Fiber 2 g 8%"
Sugars 2 g **
protein 25 g 50%"
Calcium 115 mg 11%
Sodium 300 mg 12%
"  Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet.
** Daily Value Not Established
Other Ingredients:
Muscle Bulding Whey Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate), Glycerol Monostearate, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Fiber Blend (Cellulose gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan Gum), Silica, Sucralose, Acesulfame-K, Dextrin, and ProHydrolase (Proprietary/Patented Enzyme Blend).

Got this right off of bodybuilding.com. There is a lot of space for filler which some may not like but that didn't bother me too much.

Mixability: 8.5/10
This mixed pretty well. The Milk and Cookies flavor had small bits of cookies in it which was nice. The Chocolate Cookie seemed to have some kind of bits left but the residue left over was much less than the Milk and Cookies. The Vanilla Caramel mixed the best of the three.

Taste: 8.5/10
All flavors were on point. The Vanilla Caramel had a hint of caramel in it that was not overpowering but sometimes I just didn't want that flavor with the Vanilla. I imagine it would be great with cooking applications. The Chocolate Cookie flavor was great and rich. It wasn't really too sweet or too rich but did have an good chocolate flavor. Honestly tasted like a double chocolate chip cookie or something. The Milk and Cookies flavor had cookie bits in it which helped with the flavor but it just seemed off at times. With 2% milk all of these flavors tasted phenomenal, but that is with milk so it is to be expected. Having had them with milk and water, I'll just use the taste with water for rankings. On a side note, I see they have a Banana Cream Pie flavor which I have not tried.

Effectiveness/Results: N/A
The usual effects from a protein. Nothing special. I don't know if that glycerol monostearate was for a pump or anything but I saw nothing of the sort, would have preferred those fats be Omega-3 instead but what can ya do?

Value: 8.5/10
I almost always see some kind of special with this. I got it on a buy 2 get 1 deal from bodybuilding.com but I see similar specials all over the web.

I rounding down from the 8.5 average because I just don't feel like this is a 9. Maybe blame it on the profile containing a lot of filler or the somewhat excessive cookie bit residue. I'd buy it again but with hundreds of proteins to add into the rotation (MTS Cookies&Creme; I got my eyes on you) it may be awhile unless it comes on some super sale. If I had to recommend it I'd suggest the Vanilla Caramel because it is a truly unique flavor to the market and can probably come in handy with some recipes.